Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7765 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Incredible Hulk - 2018

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
    deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@medulaoblaganda: Idk , cause's he may be the one that made me got interest into this character . I mean Planet Hulk was one of my favorite comics .

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@intothevoid: You weren't. I loved that line.

No Caption Provided

That panel gives me shivers and nostalgia.....god damn Pak's Hulk was good (as is Ewing's currently)

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1353 thedailybagel  Moderator

Let's all be honest here. Al Ewing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Greg Pak.

I honestly don't think that Al's run is as good as Pak's was yet... Specially stories like Planet Hulk or HoTM.

Don't get me wrong, its the best Hulk run we've had since Pak (so far anyway) but Greg did something special with the character, I don't think Al has done that yet.

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1354  Edited By IntoTheVoid

@medulaoblaganda said:

I honestly don't think that Al's run is as good as Pak's was yet... Specially stories like Planet Hulk or HoTM.

Don't get me wrong, its the best Hulk run we've had since Pak (so far anyway) but Greg did something special with the character, I don't think Al has done that yet.

It's also a very unfair comparison, Al has been writing Hulk for less than half a year now, while Pak wrote him for 5 and a half years, during which he had plenty of stories and arcs to go through as well as having a Hulk-centric event involving the rest of the Marvel universe.

Greg Paks Planet Hulk will always be one of the best storylines Hulk has ever gotten tbh.

Now will Al reach that level? Maybe, the story has been great so far and it certainly has potential to be counted among the best iterations ever written about the Hulk.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: it’s pretty hard to top Paks 25 issue Planet Hulk/WWHulk saga that not only rejuvenated the character and turned him into a big name again, but also told arguably the greatest Hulk story of all time. (Not to mention all the other stories and arcs that came after that Pak did that were phenomenal)

Who knows Al is at 10 issues (12 by the end of this month with the 2 Defenders one shots) and the quality is honestly as good imo. It’s just a matter of whether Ewing’s run is gonna stay that good and manage to redefine the character in the same way guys like Mantlo, David and Pak did.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Al's Hulk and Banner are both soo....viceral? I don't know what's the right word but man, both are so unbelievably badass I can't help but smile. That entire fight sequence from Best Defense was fantastic! Goes to show why Banner is THE HULK - the one and only. "Never stop making them pay..."

This is one fundamental flaw Waid had with his writing, he wasn't able to give both sides of the coin a personality and a relationship. Al does this without having them communicate directly with one another. Even Peter David had them converse every now and then subconsciously.

@medulaoblaganda said:

We're also very early on into the run all things considered. 10 issues? That's absolutely nothing to build lore, but given how much AL has accomplished in his writing, especially so early on, I'm sure he's working his way up towards the greats. I will admit that Al's style, particularly his clear carpenter/lovecraftian inspirations, is generally more appealing to me, but it's far too early to compare and contrast.

@thedailybagel: it’s pretty hard to top Paks 25 issue Planet Hulk/WWHulk saga that not only rejuvenated the character and turned him into a big name again, but also told arguably the greatest Hulk story of all time. (Not to mention all the other stories and arcs that came after that Pak did that were phenomenal)

Who knows Al is at 10 issues (12 by the end of this month with the 2 Defenders one shots) and the quality is honestly as good imo. It’s just a matter of whether Ewing’s run is gonna stay that good and manage to redefine the character in the same way guys like Mantlo, David and Pak did.

Well said, though you can tell he is a big fan of the character and is more interested in doing what works for the lore than to sell his own name, though that's something every writer wants to do, understandably so. In either case, no other comic book writer (to recent memory at least) has won me over as quickly as he has, which is a HUGE feat in and of itself.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1357 thedailybagel  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Visceral is the perfect word to describe them, I just love how unique Ewing’s run on the character is. Also as someone who enjoyed Waid’s run (for the most part) I am 100% in agreement. Everything I enjoyed about his run was related to his characterization and development of Bruce, Hulk felt like an afterthought (still gave him some good feats at least).

Also thanks and agreed again, He seems to have so much respect for the lore of the Hulk with his clear reverence for Lee’s run on the character as well as some subtle nods to David and Pak’s tenures. He’s paying respect whilst adding his own spin to it. I wasn’t sure what to make of it when he was announced as the writer, his Ultimates and Loki runs were fantastic (his best stuff pre Hulk highly recommend) but anything else I’d read from him tended to be a bit hit or miss (nothing bad but just nothing great) but Immortal Hulk is even better than his best work imo.

TheOriginalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1359  Edited By TheOriginalOne

The fact that Hulk was cancelling out Creel's draining (massively amped by Ross's) with his own is just WONDERFUL.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

i cant wait for what al has in store for hulk in avengers no road home

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: @biswaboxz: @thedailybagel: @theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Reason why I said Al is a better writer is because Al version of Hulk feat the character. That's how Hulk should be in terms of story wise. We finally get to see formidable villains who can challenge the hulk real good. Villain who may be multiversal level in power. That's just my opinion though. We get to see more plot. We get to see Al going back to Hulk classic era when he use to turn to hulk in the night. We get to see the spiritual side of Hulk's power. Just saying though. I don't mind ya'll giving your opinion. I respect your opinions. XD

PlatinumThorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immortal Hulk #9 and #10 get a 2nd reprinting!

As well as Immortal Hulk the Best Defense, this has become a common thing with Immortal Hulk, literally every issues goes for the 2nd, sometimes even 3rd printing.

It's also good to see other Defender titles doing well as well, this is exactly what we want to see, if enough people want it, we might get a long-term Defenders series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Issue Ten was just another great issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@theacidskull: Do all of the Defender First Defense issues tie in together?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think so. The Hulk issue felt like a half story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury said:

I think so. The Hulk issue felt like a half story.

Nah you can just read the Hulk one and then the Defenders one to follow along for Al's run as they're the only 2 with Hulk and both written by Al. I've read the Namor one (fantastic one shot) and it has nothing to do with the Hulk one shot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1370  Edited By IntoTheVoid

All of them are connected guys, as in all of them are supposed to converge in the Defenders The Best Defense and tie all of them together.

So far the connecting thing between Namors Defense story and Hulks Defense story is the man it the white sheet that appeared in both.

Whoever or whatever he is, he is suppose to tie them all together in the end.

However each of their individual issues can be read in any order you want, because they are semi-standalone stories and by that i mean they can be told each as somewhat a seperate story but eventually all will end with a cliffhanger that leads them all into Defenders The Best Defense.

Which is where the 4 of them will meet and fight whatever threat is threatening them.

No Caption Provided

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So apparently, there's going to be a big Thing vs Hulk fight at the end of the first year of Slott's Fantastic Four (42:55):

https://www.marvel.com/articles/podcasts/this-week-in-marvel-celebrates-the-return-of-the-fantastic-four?linkId=55412231

Also, this is actually old news (august 10), but I didn't see anyone talk about that.

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toratorn: Probably because nobody heard about it, also its still so far away, like end of Summer next year. A million things can happen till then.

Besides it's probably gonna involve a lot of bad writing, seeing as it's Dan Slott.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I want a defenders ongoing series make Al Ewing writer of that book

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvels Annototed Immortal Hulk #16
    Marvels Annototed Immortal Hulk #16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: Thanks for the scans.

The cover for issue 16 almost suggests that Hulk is out during the day.

It's possible i am reading too much into it, i guess we will find out when the time is right.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: Thanks for the scans.

The cover for issue 16 almost suggests that Hulk is out during the day.

It's possible i am reading too much into it, i guess we will find out when the time is right.

Yeah i have also noticed that b4 .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A defenders ongoing would be great, it's probably the most stacked 4 man team in the Marvel Universe and Al who handled the Ultimates extremely well and has been killing it on Hulk would probably kill it.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Don't knw for sure whether Hulk is gonna safe or not lol . They are just frequently posting this type of pics now and then .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Don't knw for sure whether Hulk is gonna safe or not lol . They are just frequently posting this type of pics now and then .

So,i heard logan & iceman's one came up.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

We already had Original Sin for that

LOL Recently they actually announced that they are actually going to retcon Pietro's and Wanda's origin again . So who knows what will happen next . Either way I don't think this things don't look so big as it seems so i will hold onto my gear until it's solicits were shown .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

LOL Recently they actually announced that they are actually going to retcon Pietro's and Wanda's origin again . So who knows what will happen next . Either way I don't think this things don't look so big as it seems so i will hold onto my gear until it's solicits were shown .

Trying to clean up a mess,they're creating bigger mess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:
    @biswaboxz said:
    @kgb725 said:

Trying to clean up a mess,they're creating bigger mess.

That's Marvel for you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So i have just read Strange's Best Defense , it wasn't entertaining tbh . Apparently the person who died b4 on first issue is Strange but he is from an apocalyptic future where Dormammu ruled and he maybe the main antagonist of the defenders.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
    deactivated-5c522ab96172e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: Actually, Strange made clear that Dormammu came AFTER the "Cosmic Train/Collision" and pretty much-killed everything in his path. In Silver Surfer's own solo, they've revealed who's this new enemy and looks to be a Celestial:

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: I haven't read the Surfer issue yet . I will tell u my opinion after reading that issue but thanks for keeping my heads up :) .

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
    deactivated-5c522ab96172e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, I'm not much of a Hulk's fan, but this feat seems interesting to mention regarding his ability of gamma-absorption. Strange changed his physiology to eat magic instead and Hulk's head took a full-powered blast from Dormammu without any issues, even called a "good meal". It does seem Strange only changed his ability in order to absorb a specific type of energy, but not increased his own capabilities per se.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Yeah it seems like Banner's ability to absorb gamma is giving him quite a no of fts and if i recall he was also changed into Hulk in the middle of the day by seeing through eye of agamotto . So it seems like he is to immune to daylight by absorbing magic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.