Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7769 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Hulk a speedster?

• 74 results
    dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By dum529001

Hulk is fueled by nuclear power(forces of atomic destruction).

And nuclear power is this.....

Rupturing atoms at their core = gamma rays= Light-speed or faster than light-speed travel = The theory of relativity( E= mc²)

Hulk hits with the force of a nuclear arsenal. His muscle contractions move at the speed of light or greater to do that.

Because of this, the writers don't have to directly state Hulk's speed when he's really cutting loose with his striking/thrusting. .

The nature of gamma rays speaks for itself. Constantly stating Hulk's speed would just be redundant.

Here's of some scans of what i'm saying....

Hulk's power easily dwarfs any nuclear assault that earth can muster. Here he shown ripping through a bunker designed to withstand the explosion of many thousands of megatons in magnitude. "Against the force of the gamma-energized Hulk.... it fares not well at all in incredible Hulk #177:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And once again, The power of gamma rays on full display here as the Hulk's "gamma-spawned might" can also give light to an "eons-dark cosmos" in Incredible Hulk #126:

No Caption Provided

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think his legs propel him forward fast, that's about it....as for his reaction time. People hit him literally ALL the time, that's his thing, taking a beating and shrugging it off.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull:

People use physics in comic books all the time. It does work that way.

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Speedster, no. Fast, yes.

But, he's incredibly fast when he can gather enough momentum.

However, he can't just run off the bat like Quicksilver or the Flash can.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By dum529001

@theacidskull:

What do you mean by "speedster"? I never said Hulk could run around like the Flash, if that's what you mean.

I know Hulk's long distance travel speed(running and jumping) is limited to hypersonic speeds due to the pressure he puts on the ground upon reaching a certian speed.

I'm only referring to his striking ability being light-speed and faster.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jj62: I wonder if this question came because of that time you and i we're discussing about Hulk and dum(insert bunch of numbers here) brought the idea of Hulk being a speedster? It was on Comicvine Hulk vs Real Hulk thread... Don't know if you remember.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh gosh I have now literally seen the dumbest series of posts imagineable.

A) A battery does not necessarily take on the properties of its energy source. Ever hear of Solar Power? Yes? Have you noticed that we dont have Solar Powered cars going the speed of light? The Hulk being a nuclear reactor just tells us where his energy comes from, NOT HOW FAST HE IS.

B) Hulk is certainly not light speed, he cannot punch at lightspeed or anything else. I can prove this by posting multiple instances of street levellers completely dodging his punches.

C) In the real world, WE KNOW OF NOTHING that moves beyond the speed of light. The various waves of light can only ever move at the speed of light.

D) Applying real world physics, were Hulk able to punch at the speed of light, his fist would take on infinite mass and collapse the universe into a singularity.

I hope the stupidity posted on this thread isnt infectious.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By dum529001

Who came up with the idea that particles moving at light speed would "destroy the universe"? Are they saying any level of hard radiation would shake up the universe? That's totally false. Stars and other cosmic events hurl matter at light speed or greater and the universe is just fine. You would need a great amount of energy to shake up the universe. Not just any amount of atom busting power would be able to do the job.

Anyway....Like I said before....

THE INCREDIBLE HULK #260

"The Mightiest Muscles of any Living Being!"

That quote is said many times in comics. Why is that? It's because....

Hulk is fueled by nuclear power(forces of atomic destruction).

And nuclear power is this.....

Rupturing atoms at their core = gamma rays= Light-speed or faster than light-speed travel = The theory of relativity( E= mc²)

Muscle power is all about the speed of muscle contraction. Muscles put out power by stretching and then rapidly shortening like rubber bands.

Hulk hits with the force of a nuclear arsenal. His muscle contractions move at the speed of light or greater to do that, because of the atom smashing forces that he's fueled by, known as gamma-rays,

Because of this, the writers don't have to directly state Hulk's speed when he's really cutting loose with his striking/thrusting. .

The nature of gamma rays speaks for itself. Constantly stating Hulk's speed would just be redundant.

And of course, Hulk's muscle and skeletal tissue and all his other body tissues are built with the durability that is necessary to withstand putting out such great forces. If he couldn't, his body would fall apart.

Superhuman bodies are going to be more dense, denser than a normal human body, and which allows it to handle the pressures it puts on itself as it goes against the force of other objects, able to withstand their own rebounding force or forces that are akin to theirs. As we know Hulk, body is far denser than a normal human's.

It's the same on a human level. When you work-out constantly enough your muscles thicken. The reason muscles thicken when you workout is so they can exert more energy without being torn up in the process. The body is adjusting to the constant and abnormal energy output of the muscles by making them tougher to keep them from getting torn up.

Gamma rays bursts come from the most violent cosmic events in the universe, such as a sun collapsing in on itself, clashing neutron stars, black holes, etc.

unlike supernova, gamma ray bursts do not explode in a spherical motion but a jet-stream motion.

Gamma rays burst produce as much energy as the sun does in its entire billion year life cycle. The sun is like a trillion megaton bombs exploding every second. That would make the sun's total energy,within a billion year tine span, approximately 31 nontillion 360 octillion megatons.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN Gamma rays AND THE OTHER LOWER FORMS OF RADIATION:

UV rays and x-rays do travel at the speed of light like gamma rays but the difference is the intensity.

That's right. They have the same speed but different INTENSITY. And with the difference in intensitycomes the difference in destructive power.

Stars emit gamma rays, but since they are afar off from earth, by the time the rays reach us, their energy has died down so that they don't rupture atoms down to their cores, and so they become UV rays.

There you go! UV rays actually come from gamma rays. And gamma rays come from burning the energy of hydrogens which starts the chemical reaction known as nuclear fusion.

This is where the difference in wavelength/frequency comes from. Their energy distribution is different. With gamma rays, you get more energy in one place and at one time, while x-rays and UV rays have a weaker concentration of energy, the energy being more spread out.

That's a little bit of the theory of relativity in action.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

Quicksilver has super speed but he was predictable and arrogant. Hulk saw him coming.

Takao0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once Hulk "Stupid laser beams" was slow.

Once it was faster than the Silver Surfer at maximum speed.

Was once Silver Age Superman was impressed by Hulk's speed.

Often he can catch missiles.

etc.

But mostly he is rather slow.

Apparently can adapt to the speed.

(if the author considers it necessary).

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By dum529001

@takao0815:

Basically, Hulk moves extremely fast when he feels like it.

He doesn't have to and will not really cut loose with his strength for every single thing that comes along, in every single instance.

And thinking that he does is just pure ridiculousness.

Takao0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Takao0815

I'm sorry. Understand most of what you do not say.

I'm very bad in English.

Most of the Hulk is pretty slow anyway (except when he jumps).

But, as always, comes on the version.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flopsop200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Flopsop200

No. Mark waid is However Writing him to be Faster, he is even seen as a blur sometimes, but no, hulk is in no way a speedster.

This.

and he had a minor blur moment in Incredible Hulks 611 against Skaar

nickyhansard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm late to the argument but I would like to add something.

Just because Hulk is gamma powered doesn't mean he can move at the speed of gamma radiation. Also EVEN if he could, that would mean he would still be moving slightly slower than the speed of light and DEFINITELY not faster.

Even if you want to use 'real world logic', I'll tell you why it doesn't make sense. Human movement is controlled by electrical impulses sent from the brain... I'm yet to see a human move at the speed of electricity.

Also compared to most speedsters, who are using cosmic forces, magic or some special mechanism to move at super speeds, the Hulk relies on pure physical strength to do so. So no matter how fast he could technically move it is irrelevant because he would be unable to move at near the speed of light without causing absolute destruction. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (I'm of the opinion that for cosmic/magic/supernatural this rule doesn't apply). Even if the Hulk was capable of punching at half the speed of light he would create incredible destruction and send himself flying backwards at an incredible speed and it would be useless in a fight.

I'm of the opinion that while he could technically be one of the fastest beings, he simply cannot do so because physics apply to his actions e.g. If we pretended that the Hulk could use his full strength while running without simply smashing his feet into the ground and he was going Mach 10 and than needed to turn, the forces he would have to apply to the ground to do so would be staggering.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hulk has always been very fast, but to make the stories interesting over the years he has been seen struggling to tag agile characters like spiderman and wolverine, which makes people think he is slow. If you think about he must, for example be one of the fastest punchers out there, simply due to Force =ma and all that stuff....I've always believed he WOULD be able to tag characters who have superspeed, just as other brute powerhouses such as Doomsday and Mongul have been able to in the DC comics.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By dum529001

@nickyhansard said:

I'm late to the argument but I would like to add something.

Just because Hulk is gamma powered doesn't mean he can move at the speed of gamma radiation. Also EVEN if he could, that would mean he would still be moving slightly slower than the speed of light and DEFINITELY not faster.

Even if you want to use 'real world logic', I'll tell you why it doesn't make sense. Human movement is controlled by electrical impulses sent from the brain... I'm yet to see a human move at the speed of electricity.

Also compared to most speedsters, who are using cosmic forces, magic or some special mechanism to move at super speeds, the Hulk relies on pure physical strength to do so. So no matter how fast he could technically move it is irrelevant because he would be unable to move at near the speed of light without causing absolute destruction. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (I'm of the opinion that for cosmic/magic/supernatural this rule doesn't apply). Even if the Hulk was capable of punching at half the speed of light he would create incredible destruction and send himself flying backwards at an incredible speed and it would be useless in a fight.

I'm of the opinion that while he could technically be one of the fastest beings, he simply cannot do so because physics apply to his actions e.g. If we pretended that the Hulk could use his full strength while running without simply smashing his feet into the ground and he was going Mach 10 and than needed to turn, the forces he would have to apply to the ground to do so would be staggering.

Hulk doesn't just draw from nuclear power, he is nuclear power himself. Such destructive, earth shattering and shaking punches and striking have force derived from speed far more than mass. Hulk's muscle power, the speed of muscle contraction which creates the movement-speed of bone, is what allows this.

Electricity is form of force and electricity derives it power from speed more than mass, and since humans don't have cosmic amounts of electric power, a human could have equal force of a specific electric current without the sonic and super sonic speeds due to the mass of the human body rather than the speed.

Unless you're some kind of Bruce lee you won't be moving at sonic or supersonic speeds.

nickyhansard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: frankly you aren't making much sense. I'm not sure if English is your first language?

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By dum529001

@dum529001: frankly you aren't making much sense. I'm not sure if English is your first language?

It is.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

nickyhansard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: I honestly wasn't trying to be insulting, passive aggressive or dismissive of what you were saying, so if it appeared that way I'm honestly sorry, it wasn't my intention.

I only thought that because some of the reasoning and flow of thought seemed strange to me but that's probably just me lol.

I'll point out s few things that I didn't think make sense. Hulk can't be nuclear energy itself because he has a physical body, his skin, organs, muscles, bones are by their very definition not simple radiation. So logically he has to be gamma radiation powered, not a being of pure radiation... otherwise he would simply be a disembodied mass of energy. I'll admit however that destructive power is far more reliant on speed than pure ability to move. Speed is dependant on strength and speed of muscle contractions (you could be super strong but have slow muscle contractions leading to moving a lot slowly or you could have super fast muscle contractions but little speed that would limit the speed you could move something due to the strength required to overcome the inertia of anything with mass) - exceptions seem to be cosmic/mystical/magical beings that can negate the physics of the universe.

The problem is inertia of molecules, as the Hulk increases his speed he is fighting ever greater resistance from air particles and inertia, the ground etc. if he punched at the speed of light the resulting compression and force of his punch would literally result in an explosion and it is literally impossible for anything with mass to move at the speed of light to begin with, even at a fraction of the speed of light he would have to overcome immense resistance in an atmosphere - that's why comets going at great speeds (MUCH LESS than light speed though) are obliterated when they enter our atmosphere, did you hear about the comet that exploded over Russia? It contained more energy than a nuclesr explosion.

Destructive power isn't simply an equation of speed. Without mass speed is irrelevant, that's why photons (light) travelling at the speed of light don't destroy the Earth.

There are many incorrect things in your points about electricity, I suggest you research how electricity works.

Did you know that the human body actually contains obscene amounts of energy, as in more than a nuclesr warhead. Doesn't mean we can move at super speeds.

Although in a vaccum he could make full use of that strength and we can witness the true speed of him because he would not be fighting inertia of particles in the air when moving... He would still not be capable of light speed movement though.

My point is that because he is a physical being that is simply powered by gamma radiation and still bound by the rules of physics he can't move at super speeds in atmosphere and even if he could overcome those incredible forces it would be so destructive and irrelevant in a fight or movement to be useless.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.