Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7765 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

How do you prefer the Hulk persona to portrayed as?

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How do you prefer the Hulk persona to portrayed as? (19 votes)

Hulk and Banner are the same. 21%
    Hulk is a separate personality. 79%

The Hulk persona has generally been portrayed two ways, as Banner who's mind is overloaded by energy, or different personality produced by the transformation. Which do you prefer?

• 
    thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator

I prefer the idea that hulk and banner are two seperate entitites that fit together to make a whole, without one you can't really have the other. Both just being two sides of the same coin as it were. Banner being in control is cool sometimes but overall I prefer to think that hulk is a different person with his own thoughts influenced by banner and vice versa. So they're kinda the same person without actually being the exact same person if that makes sense.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: They're the exact same person it's just which one of Banners personas Is this

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator

@kgb725: I'd disagree, it's shown many times that whilst hulk is based off of banners personality, he's got his own one as well. They are more like two entitites within the same person as opposed to just being straight up the same person, otherwise they'd have the exact same feelings which clearly isn't true. Thanos even theorised the same thing IIRC.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

Depends on which Hulk. I like Savage Hulk and Joe Fixit as different one entires but I like Worldbreaker as a composite. The two separate parts working together.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rpgesus

i like hulk agents of smash personality for all of them

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I prefer the idea that hulk and banner are two seperate entitites that fit together to make a whole, without one you can't really have the other. Both just being two sides of the same coin as it were. Banner being in control is cool sometimes but overall I prefer to think that hulk is a different person with his own thoughts influenced by banner and vice versa. So they're kinda the same person without actually being the exact same person if that makes sense.

You summed up all my thoughts on Hulk.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

It's not that simple, so I honestly can't make a decision based on the choices given. Banner and Hulk are the same person, yes, but also at the same time they're different. They're the same, yet different. Same person, yet seemingly two different entities (or more if you take in account the various personas). Banner is Hulk. Hulk is Banner.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

It works best when Hulk is an extension of some aspect Banner's personality. When Banner and the Hulk are literally the same, the versatile and possibilities of telling interesting stories and exploring Hulks psyche is more narrow.

phantomjolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish more current hulk writers got into writing about hulks psyche.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Depends on which Hulk. I like Savage Hulk and Joe Fixit as different one entires but I like Worldbreaker as a composite. The two separate parts working together.

Even the so called "composite" Hulk incarnations are merely extensions of Banner. There's no situation where Hulk is literally Banner unless Bruce is in control of Hulks body and mind through and through, like he was in Bill Mantlos run. Some writers don't touch upon this but one can safely assume what these incarnations represents from the way they are characterised.

For example, Green Scar, while a merger of personalities, was a representation of the father figure Banner had always wanted. All of his personality traits lead to something paternal. In some way, he always takes care others. He was a king, who looked after his people, a husband, who tried to help his wife, and a Father to tried to take care of three different kids. We can even go further back and look at professor Hulk, who, while yet again an amalgam of personalities, represented Banner's rational and pragmatic side.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: can we call him papa hulk?or hulk papa? Or scar daddy ? Or scarpapagreendaddyhulk?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.