How comes Hulk can't use any gamma attack?

#1 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

His power is based on gamma radiation so how come he never actually the source of his power in combat? I remember that one time he was sending off radiation so strongly everything 5 feets away, but that's pretty much the only time I recall when did he did anything of the sort. Wouldn't it be nice if the Hulk actually had more range capacity than only the thunder clap?

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio

I see what you're getting at.  Originally, the gamma was just an excuse to make someone super strong.  But now...?  If they gave him extra powers like a gamma ray then he'd be verging on all-powerful & godly.  He's already dangerous beyond recognition, giving him extra powers would put a lot of fans off.

#3 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

The point wouldn't really be to up his power drastically (and no he's far from being godly seing how weak he's considered on most forums), but really when he gets into massive fight there's a little PIS involved making all the character fighting him physically when all they have to do is get back and use their range arsenal (considering they have any) and when some characters actually do that they're usually weak and get destroyed by a thunder clap or Hulk just rush at them to fight in H2H and they accept the challenge. If Hulk had ranged attacks the fights would make more sense.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23389 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just not how his power functions. The Gamma Radiation in his system basically allows him to increase his physical form depending on his mood/adrenaline.

The Gamma Radiation itself can't be channelled by the Hulk in any other way.

#5 Posted by MutenRoshi (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Shooting off Gama Radiation would de-power Hulk, his strength comes from amping himself on anger but the original sources of power is the radiation from the Gamma Bomb if Hulk used that radiation he could weaken himself and revert into his Dr Banner form. Energy manipulators have depowered Hulk by draining the original radiation from his body.

#6 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I know Hulk power is to produce gamme radiation with anger, for all we know maybe he wouldn't even need anger if he actually had more control over his true power. He's able to increase his strength by using the radiation he contains. And the time he was sending massive ammount of radiation all around he wasn't getting any weaker.

Avatar image for theultimatesurvivor
#7 Posted by TheUltimateSurvivor (848 posts) - - Show Bio
First of all, gamma energy is not his source of power, it's more like a catalyst. He gets his powers from some unknown dimension ( that's how he actually increases his mass when transforms).
Ranged attacks would ruin what Hulk is supposed to be.
#8 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

Well of course if you want to see it that way the gamma radiation is indeed what allows him to ''connect'' to that dimension and the more he has the better the connection I believe. Hulk already has a ranged attack with is thunder clap, does that ruin his character? No. I don't care that much about him not being able to use ranged attacks, but there's inconsistencies related to his power. We've already seen him let out gamma radiation which proves he should be able to do it. And even more, he's suppose to have Cosmic Energy, we're never seen him use it but when he was repowered it was a big compound of it. Maybe it's just a writter inconsistency or they're going to talk about it later, I don't know.

#9 Posted by King Quisling (2073 posts) - - Show Bio

He's already The Hulk. Does he really need to be more powerful? Personally, I just hope World Breaker is pulled out of the bag in the near future.

#10 Posted by Kallarkz (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
Everyone already gave pretty good explanations. Scientific and also plausible reasons.

The only one i can come up with is that it would be lame.
#11 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

I do understand it would be odd at start but what would be so lame about it exactly?

Avatar image for theultimatesurvivor
#12 Posted by TheUltimateSurvivor (848 posts) - - Show Bio
@Super_Gui_1 said:
" Well of course if you want to see it that way the gamma radiation is indeed what allows him to ''connect'' to that dimension and the more he has the better the connection I believe. Hulk already has a ranged attack with is thunder clap, does that ruin his character? No. I don't care that much about him not being able to use ranged attacks, but there's inconsistencies related to his power. We've already seen him let out gamma radiation which proves he should be able to do it. And even more, he's suppose to have Cosmic Energy, we're never seen him use it but when he was repowered it was a big compound of it. Maybe it's just a writter inconsistency or they're going to talk about it later, I don't know. "
Thunderclap is an exception, it's not like energy or something ( which is usually what range attack means ). He simply claps his hands together, of course that won't ruin him, but shooting beams from hands will. He is a brute after all.
Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
#13 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2663 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't he manipulate radiation if it's like a forcefield?

#14 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it's jut a mental block that won't allow him to do it. He has split personalities, who knew how strong he would really get if they all merged. Anyhow he should be able to do it. I don't remember Hulk ever training himself to have better control of his power (and I'm not counting Banner trying to find a way to supress Hulk).

#15 Posted by Walker696 (1014 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea the guy who can pull a planet back together, survive being beat down by almost all of olympus(mainly Zeus), and break the planet apart when he gets pissed really needs some new powers lol.

#16 Edited by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio
@Walker696 said:

Yea the guy who can pull a planet back together, survive being beat down by almost all of olympus(mainly Zeus), and break the planet apart when he gets pissed really needs some new powers lol.

Need no, would make more sense to have them? Yes.
#17 Posted by SC (18159 posts) - - Show Bio
@Walker696 said:

lol

No, but you must understand that some Hulk fans want Hulk to be stronger than every other character combined, otherwise the mean people in threads might say he is weak, and this will reflect on me personally and then what will be the point of living? =/

So Hulk needs to pull planets together with his nose hair, kill all the gods that ever existed including the ones at DC and real life and break the Universe when he gets randy. And then get some new powers on top as well. 
#18 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
@Walker696 said:

lol

No, but you must understand that some Hulk fans want Hulk to be stronger than every other character combined, otherwise the mean people in threads might say he is weak, and this will reflect on me personally and then what will be the point of living? =/

So Hulk needs to pull planets together with his nose hair, kill all the gods that ever existed including the ones at DC and real life and break the Universe when he gets randy. And then get some new powers on top as well. 
Hehe... 
#19 Posted by Walker696 (1014 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Trust me I'm just a big a fan as anybody but come on, he doesn't need new powers unless they bring his power level down first. I agree there should be more variety in Gamma powered people though. I'm still mad he has a whole team of Gamma people who are only muscle. Variety is the spice of life.
#20 Posted by PowerHerc (86188 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever the reason; I'm glad he can't. 

Givng energy manipulation/projection powers to characters who traditionally haven't had them tends to change those characters for the worse, imo.

#21 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

@Walker696 said:

@SC: Trust me I'm just a big a fan as anybody but come on, he doesn't need new powers unless they bring his power level down first. I agree there should be more variety in Gamma powered people though. I'm still mad he has a whole team of Gamma people who are only muscle. Variety is the spice of life.

Well at least someone seems to have understood a part of my point. I said he needed more power anyway unlike what SC seems to think.
@SC said:

Oh and sorry to disapoint you SC but comics have much more importance for you than for me seing the difference on how many hours you and I are on the forum. And no I do not mind Hulk being weaker than some people, that's perfectly normal. If I wanted my favorite character to be invincible I would have taken molecule man or some celestial or whatever.
#22 Posted by SC (18159 posts) - - Show Bio
@Walker696 said: 

Oh haha, I was agreeing with you. 

Sorry, thats how I agree with people. lol I don't think he needs new powers either. 

@Super_Gui_1 said:
 Oh and sorry to disapoint you SC

Thats okay, I don't expect much from you so you shouldn't feel sorry. 
#23 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
@Super_Gui_1 said:
 Oh and sorry to disapoint you SC

Thats okay, I don't expect much from you so you shouldn't feel sorry. 
If you're going to quote at least respond to what was really said.
#24 Posted by SC (18159 posts) - - Show Bio
@Super_Gui_1: Oh, but uh,m uhm., uh, it was all too insulting so I ignored it? lol

Honestly, if I step back and try my hardest to be not sarcastic or snarky? You shouldn't take all sarcasm as being directed at you as a personal attack. Its okay, I know you are not some Hulk fan who wants him to beat Galactus and Living Tribunal. To me? You just use the same arguing techniques as many of those fans. Primarily argumentum ad ignorantiam. Thats in the other thread though. To give a serious and sincere answer to this thread (as I ironically brought up in the other thread) we can't divorce the in story logic with the real life creative decisions. Hulk getting new powers = Hulk's other powers watered down to an extent and also potentially polarizing all the fans who prefer him being a brawler. To provide a parallel, Hulk use to be way, way more durable, but the more they increased Hulk's healing factor, the less durable he has become. Now his skin cuts pretty easy, it just heals back fast. Now Hulk;'s base level durability is actually pretty low. So as a Hulk fan, I would not want that to happen to his strength either. It will relatively. So it might not, or a little, or a lot. As for what makes sense? Its a matter of suspension of belief. As in its at the discretion of the writers. Hulk living doesn't make sense, but creatively, its better if you know, he lives and fights. Creatively it might be interesting? By the same token, creatively a lot of people already like Hulk as he is. Some people think a Hulk that can fly is interesting? Thats cool, I personally think it would detract from the character. 
#25 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Well that's a changes from the usual respond. I wouldn't want him getting those sort of powers anyway (well some writters could probably make it work but I doubt so). Hulk power level always depends on who's writting him. Sometimes he's uber strong, WWH will always be the best example for that, crazy healing faster extreme durability (wolverine had a hard time cutting his skin), strength. And some other times he get taken down by much weaker characters than him, but that's just how it is. Well ofc Hulk shouldn't have lived to be, but that would be the case for so many other characters in marvel, so we just have to take it at it is and accept that some of them will get powers in a ridiculous way and than there'll be a sudden explication to how they're able to use their power. The only way I could see Hulk fly is with enigma force (that already happened anyway) or if some writter decide that him having gained cosimic energy when repowered allows him to fly. We've seen Hulk power been use in such weirds way it wouldn't be surprising.
#26 Posted by SC (18159 posts) - - Show Bio
@Super_Gui_1:  Your reply was a change from the usual response. It was shorter, more concise and made some sense. How you post to people determines how they post to you. 

I agree with all the Hulk related statements and issues you brought up and addressed. Great points. I wouldn't personally mind temporary changes to his power set. Its also interesting to see how Skaar develops, because he sort of has that different power set. 
#27 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (321 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
@Super_Gui_1:  Your reply was a change from the usual response. It was shorter, more concise and made some sense. How you post to people determines how they post to you. 

I agree with all the Hulk related statements and issues you brought up and addressed. Great points. I wouldn't personally mind temporary changes to his power set. Its also interesting to see how Skaar develops, because he sort of has that different power set. 
I believe Skaar will improve as a character in the future depending on who will write him, hopefully the one who will, will do a great job with the character. It makes more sense for skaar to be versatile in term of power since he has both the oldpower and gamma. As a character he can also be well exploited even though I believe Hulk as more potential in that sense with the whole persona splitting business, but that's only my opinion and it all depends on who will write it.
#28 Posted by Jimishim12 (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Thor and Superman fans would cry like babies if Hulk extered that much versatility with his gamma radiation abilites other than applying it to physical strength. Hulk would literally surpass every herald and cosmic if he learned he could work his vast strenght and channel it to his gamma radiation to manipulate it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.