Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Has Hulk ever truly lifted Mjolnir?

Avatar image for lordofthebrocean
    lordofthebrocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lordofthebrocean

The premise behind Mjolnir is that only those deemed worthy can hold Mjolnir. Superman was temporarily able to wield Mjolnir, but that was due to Thor seeing him worthy at that particular time and tossing it to him, but after Superman could not lift Mjolnir. Now, it has been debated, but that comic is canon. Kurt Busiek himself said it.

Back to the topic at hand, can Hulk truly lift Mjolnir simply off of brute strength, and if he has is it canon? If anyone has any scans showing Hulk lifting Mjolnir from shear anger and strength and actually using it, can you post the scans? Thanks.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Sparda

IIRC, Hulk once lifted Mjolnir but it turned back to a simple stick in one of his earlier fights with Thor. I don't have a scan though, sorry.

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!
    @Sparda said:
    " IIRC, Hulk once lifted Mjolnir but it turned back to a simple stick in one of his earlier fights with Thor. I don't have a scan though, sorry. "
    Yeah but thor made it so that it you didn't need to be worthy to lift, and another time Professor hulk lifted it for a short amount of time, and then it broke his hand, which healed quickly.
    Avatar image for lordofthebrocean
    lordofthebrocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lordofthebrocean
    @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:

" @Sparda said:

" IIRC, Hulk once lifted Mjolnir but it turned back to a simple stick in one of his earlier fights with Thor. I don't have a scan though, sorry. "
    Yeah but thor made it so that it you didn't need to be worthy to lift, and another time Professor hulk lifted it for a short amount of time, and then it broke his hand, which healed quickly. "
    When was this? Mjolnir has always been that only those found worthy may wield it. "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of ... Thor" --inscription on Mjolnir 
    Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!
    @lordofthebrocean said:
    " @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:

" @Sparda said:

Yeah but thor made it so that it you didn't need to be worthy to lift, and another time Professor hulk lifted it for a short amount of time, and then it broke his hand, which healed quickly. "
    When was this? Mjolnir has always been that only those found worthy may wield it. "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of ... Thor" --inscription on Mjolnir  "
    I don't remember the issue but he asked odin to make it so that you didn't have to be worthy to hold the hammer and he could stay thor for a whole hour without his hammer.
    chris thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chris thompson

not really 
    Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Walker696

that would be a no

SSJ5_Goku-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SSJ5_Goku-San

Well if it counts,his red counterpart not only lifted it up but also threw the hammer at Thor.Although that's only because of Loeb's shitty writing so I guess he's never truly lifted the hammer yet.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lordraiden
    @Superman2099 said:
    "Well if it counts,his red counterpart not only lifted it up but also threw the hammer at Thor.Although that's only because of Loeb's shitty writing so I guess he's never truly lifted the hammer yet. "

I don't believe he actually lifted it, so much as hold on to it while it was in motion, kinda like this ..... 

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lordraiden
    @Edamame said:
    " @lordraiden: LOL. Hulk is not in that scan.  "

It's a point and example i'm making, in regards to his comment. Showing that others have done the same. Herc is not the only one, where someone's held onto the hammer midflight and used it to get them back to Thor!
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By PowerHerc

No, he has not.  Nor should he.
    11thorsentry11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 11thorsentry11

mjolnir can be lifted in zero gravity.red hulk lifted it during hisfight with thor

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15  Edited By SC  Moderator

Hulk has never lifted it no, not in the main continuity 616. Be weary of people who have scans or claims otherwise, since there was a dream sequence once. Also like in cartoons etc what have you. 

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Nope. He has never.
    dark_lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dark_lightning

im not certain wether he atcherly ever has but in theroe he could. to lift mjolnir you have to be fearless. yes/ corageous. yes at times/ mentaly strong. yes as he has been able to resist pro.x/ unbelievably strong or at physical peek. yes

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

@11thorsentry11 said:

mjolnir can be lifted in zero gravity.red hulk lifted it during hisfight with thor

That was more holding it than lifting it

IncredibleHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IncredibleHulk

Yes He Has Actually.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

No.

Avatar image for fang_the_dragon
    Fang The Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fang The Dragon

Hulk lifted Mjolnir in some alternate universes but to my knowledge he never succeeded in 616. Not by worthyness and neither by brute strength.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @HULKISULTIMATEGOD_BLAH said

Has Hulk ever truly let Mjolnir go? 

Does a bears face explode killing the forest? 
    Avatar image for allmightyjackson
    AllmightyJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AllmightyJackson

Ultimate Hulk has lifted Ultimate Mjolnir and threw it at Thor

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By majestic99

@lordofthebrocean: Those who are not worthy CANNOT lift the hammer, no matter there level of strength.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#25  Edited By Outside_85

The only things that seem to be able to get around the condition of being worthy or not are supposedly automatons (robots) and varieties of the Earth itself (since Mjolnir doesn't smash through the planet if dropped).

But simply being supermassively strong is not going to cut it, even if you tried your best you will just end up standing up to your knees in dirt having pushed yourself into the ground.

Ultimately I suppose it was made to make a defining difference between Hulk and Thor (Thor having been the Lee/Kirby answer to who could be even stronger than Hulk). Since then it's been more and more suggested that Thor isn't stronger than the modern Hulk (who's power has kept growing since his creation), but he can beat him as long as he has his hammer, but not without it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By dernman

No and if someone tries to tell you Red Hulk did then they don't know what they are talking about.

dokkodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dokkodo
    No Caption Provided

Ultimate Avengers, let's hear the uber-nerds argue about the canonocity of this.

LitosWay357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LitosWay357

now im told one of these is a dream sequence.....

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt it. Any time he would have even pushed the hammer would be either in a dream, extreme rage state or a case of cruddy writing on the author's part.

And to those still moaning about Rulk spanking Thor with his hammer:

No Caption Provided
    ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ThanoStomp

@LitosWay357 said:

now im told one of these is a dream sequence.....

No Caption Provided

I was high on reading Avengers Assemble because of Thanos' return...... until I saw that. Mjolnir should just drop like an anvil instead of Hulk swinging it at Thor.

Kyle_Dornez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kyle_Dornez

@ThanoStomp said:

I was high on reading Avengers Assemble because of Thanos' return...... until I saw that. Mjolnir should just drop like an anvil instead of Hulk swinging it at Thor.

Well, it kinda-sorta did... Hulk didn't get a second swing after all...

Anyways, I actually believe that Worldbreaker Hulk could just tell any enchantment to shove it (yes, even enchantment from Odin himself), however that is just my opinion, because as I remember Worldbreaker never actually fought Thor.

ravenhegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ravenhegar

Everyone is forget one very important thing that Mjolnir is Alive and able to to make it's own decisions. Plus Odin only added the worthy bit after Thor pissed him of and was banished.

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By chem86

@dokkodo said:

No Caption Provided

Ultimate Avengers, let's hear the uber-nerds argue about the canonocity of this.

Avatar image for imnemothegemini
    ImNemotheGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ImNemotheGemini

As of Indestructible Hulk #6... He has !

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Hulk has never lifted the hammer. To address some of the other posts:

1. Journey Into Mystery #112 was when Thor had Odin suspend the enchantments for five minutes so Thor could fight Hulk unarmed without the sixty second rule. Mjolnir was stripped of all magic turned into an ordinary uru hammer.

2. The incident about the Professor Hulk holding it was during his encounter with Red Norvell. Red Norvell was holding the hammer until the Hulk smacked him away while the Hulk was holding onto the head. The hammer fell the moment Norvell lost contact. The fight itself was being played for laughs.

3. The Ultimate Avengers cartoon is the closest. Ultimate Thor's hammer has never had the worthiness enchantment. In the film, there is no mention of the worthiness enchantment in any dialogue. The only suggestion that the hammer may have one is in one of the pop up extras to explain why the Hulk has trouble lifting it. However, since this is supposed to be taking place in the Ultimate Universe and there is no mention of the enchantment in the film this is dubious at best.

4. Other instances mentioned are either a dream, the Hulk lifts it the moment it reverted to a stick, or Thor is still technically holding it.

5. The latest issue is not Hulk lifting it on his own either. Thor is calling the hammer back to him and Hulk mistakenly thinks he has lifted it.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

No Caption Provided

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By w0nd

@chem86 said:

@dokkodo said:

No Caption Provided

I know this is old but no one commented on it. That hammer was made by science and was not the original. It is a fake hammer with a gravity generator in it, weather manipulator, while his belt gave him enhanced strength and teleportation abilities and the reason Thor got these was because he was depowered at the time. Turns out he was depowered in that movie and any point in the comics where he was using those things...which is why later on in the comics he was accused of stealing the technology

No Caption Provided

Good enough answer for you or....?

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think Hulk is on his way to being worthy... Or maybe it's a wobbly wobbly times wimey thing and Hulk will be reset within the year... I'm hoping for a smarter more heroic Hulk in 2014, guess we may find out in October...

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MakkyD

When powered by Loeb Force, yes.

ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogg927: I believe that falls under...

5. The latest issue is not Hulk lifting it on his own either. Thor is calling the hammer back to him and Hulk mistakenly thinks he has lifted it.

stated by @seekquaze

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he didn't. And about Hulk: Let the Battle Begin (2010)

No Caption Provided

Author says ;

Snider: Not at all, Hulk never touches the hammer! He is completely unworthy of it!

Look, I LOVE THOR and more to the point, I love THOR and HULK fights! So, that was my second big thing, I wanted to get Thor in there, but I needed to make the fight memorable, because after all this was an off-to-the-side, one-shot and as a fan I know how easy it is to forget this kind of book. So...

I came up with the concept, that if HULK was able to catch THOR's hand, he could hold the hammer THROUGH THOR. Again, at the time this had NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. Once Hulk has Thor's hand with the hammer in it, there are only TWO QUESTIONS.

Question #1: Who is stronger?

Normally, I would say that the two are fairly evenly matched. BUT as EVERYONE know, the ANGRIER Hulk gets, the STRONGER Hulk gets, which is why Hulk can ultimately beat anyone, because unless you prevent him from getting upset or frustrated, he's just gonna keep getting angry until he over powers you. AND in this instance the Hulk has just finished fighting the Wrecking Crew, so he's already pretty revved up and tired of being hit by magic sticks! (He got hit by the Wreckers' Crowbar a whole bunch and THOR gives him a VERY REASONABLE beat down before this moment.)

So, who is stronger? Hulk! He is mad as Hell and not going to take being hit by magic sticks anymore!

Also, keep in mind the context of the fight, Bruce Banner was trying to help a pregnant lady who was about to be crushed to death by falling rock, he Hulks out and goes after the Wrecking Crew. But because of all the property damage he is causing Thor is sent to take him down, but the Hulk was just trying to do the right thing and now he's getting beat up for it.

Question #2: Is Thor ready to defend himself from this attack?

No! It has NEVER happened to him before. He has never even considered that it could! And at the time it happens he has the UPPER HAND in the fight! Hulk is down and bleeding and he goes to finish him off and Hulk CATCHES HIS HAND! He is stunned for a second and Hulk takes advantage of that and bashes him in the face a few times.

voldo2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By voldo2006

@litosway357:

If you look closely....what is the Hulk holding on to? Its not the hammer, its Thor's arm. So no he isn't lifting it all by himself. Second image with him crushing the hammer, he isn't hold it, Thor's hand is still hold it. The third one is a bit tricky for people, but he grabs a hold of it when Thor has it above his head. When he strikes Thor with it, its hard to tell if Thor's holding on to it. If people say he's not, doesn't it make sense that if he let go of it what it would fall down since Hulk isn't worthy, Hulk just push down on it to give it more motion, smashing it into Thor. Do you think that if the Hulk could lift the hammer that he wouldn't have kept using it?

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thedailybagel  Moderator

Nope

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.