zack_freeman's Hulk #29 - Scorched Earth, Part 4:Exit Strategy; Things Best Left Unseen Part II review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
  • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Hulk #29

As the Hulks draw closer to the Brain Cluster's weak point, General Ross learns something very important that Banner's been keeping from him.

The Good

M.O.D.O.K. Superior's introduction in this issue was spoiled a while back, but it still made for one hell of a creepy closing scene. I'm actually almost fearing for the Hulks now that this even-more fearsome monster's on the scene. Also, while the Hulk's fractured psyche has gone through many reinterpretations over the decades, I'm enjoying the novelty of the semi-partnerships these Gamma-powered monsters enjoy with their alter egos.

The Bad

The back-up story featuring the Watchers had some pretty, pretty art, but it felt like an obfuscating way to introduce a new villain for the Red Hulk, as the Watcher's levels of metaphysical talk seemed to just keep piling on eachother. Also, after G-Man's editorial, it's almost impossible to look at the cover and not feel like it's missing something important.

The Verdict - 4/5

I wonder a little if this book might benefit from actually being titled Red Hulk, as that's actually a pretty good hook for this that clearly delineates it from Incredible Hulks. This character's been around for so long that even the simple notion of giving Gamma power to a different personality, like Ross, is enough to get me intrigued about a story will play out.

Other reviews for Hulk #29 - Scorched Earth, Part 4:Exit Strategy; Things Best Left Unseen Part II

A Good End To A Surprisingly Solid Red Hulk Story 0

It would be an understatement o say I never cared much for Red Hulk, but Jeff Parker concludes his first arc of Rulk's series and succeeds in selling someone like me on the character.  Parker is really playing into the idea that Ross has become the monster he has always hated and that Ross is now paying penance for all he's done by becoming an outcast whose only choice is to work for the man he still hates. It is a very interesting context to put the Red Hulk into and should make for further int...

The End of Scorched Earth 0

The way Jeff Parker plays with the identities of the Hulks, how they interact with one another, how Banner wants something and the Hulk another thing, how Ross feels and thinks differently from the Red Hulk is something new brought to the table by the writer, because since the introduction of the Rulk I was lead to believe that he was just an extension of Ross, that he was completely controled by him and now it seems that, like Banner and Hulk, Betty and She-Rulk, Rulk thinks a little different ...