Follow

Hugo Strange

Character » Hugo Strange appears in 418 issues.

Dr. Hugo Strange is a brilliant but disturbed psychologist with an obsessive vendetta against Batman. In addition to being one of Batman's earliest foes, preceding even the Joker and Catwoman, he is also one of the first & few to successfully deduce that Batman and Bruce Wayne are one and the same.

Hugo Strange dedication review

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

Edited By MTHarman

A Strange Case

The makings of a Batman villain isn’t difficult at all, but the capability of having a unique characters finding himself becoming a threat for the Dark Knight in such a unforgettable way that even it finds itself branded into the history of the Bat Chronicles.

Hugo Strange may have weirdness already within his name alone, but this guy is far from reaching that unique flair and sense of abnormality that we see with the other Bat-villains in DC. For some who first glance upon this guy (before the Arkham City Trailer), it’s the fact that Strange doesn’t seem the type to be within the Bat-rogues at all. Yet how wrong and far off that would be when looking deeper into this guy’s character and seeing something…unique and horrible wrong about him.

Basically, Strange is the type of villain who has Batman at his mercy when being the only villain that I know of who uses a weakness that Batman has, which is his secret identity.

Hugo may not have any powers, nor any colorful getup that we see from the other rogues, but it’s a fact that even Batman himself would see a man like Strange if not fitting perfectly within his colorful bunch of villains, being better and much more dangerous than the others.

Within the mind of the mental superior of Hugo Strange, one can see how easily he falls victim towards his delusional fantasies of being something entirely different. With Strange, it's his neglection of self-character and trying to become more of the man than he once was. It's quite easy to figure this guy despite his shady past, how his intense obsession for wearing the Bat-cowl came to be.  

I AM BATMAN!!!.....I...AM.....BATMAN,.....I...AM..THE..BATMAN.......I...AM....not Batman. 
    Just that simple confusion alone can easily describe what goes through that head of Hugo Strange. But what about being Batman's enemy? Well if you notice, Strange has somehow managed to look upon Batman and Bruce Wayne as two different people. When seeing the Batman, Strange sees a mantle that he rightfully must have, something that would define Stranges character of being a man of absolute supieror. But then comes the wearer of the Bat-suit, Bruce Wayne. Hugo sees not the  Batman as the enemy, but Bruce Wayne as the obstacle and sworn enemy when trying to obtain the mantle for himself. 
    As Batman mentioned, Strange is like the other Bat-villains, but in a way, much more dangerous. Strange is a man of intelligence and doesn't let his psychosis cloud his sense of judgement. Putting Batman in a very tight and difficult situation, it isn't a mystery that Strange has managed to have the Batman fear the name Strange. Knowing that there would be something serious involved and focused on the Batman

For me alone, I couldn’t help but feel drawn into Strange’s character. Probably because giving this guy an analyzing look, I see something pretty disturbing and interesting. Which is when I found out that Strange was taking a major role with Batman’s newest game, never have I felt as much excitement over a villain who’s naturally overlooked or finds himself limited within the Batman comics. It’s sad when seeing this rare villain finding himself is being overlooked by a selected amount of comic fans, more of the reason why I enjoy making videos about bad guys and C-list villains. Quite funny is that even on Comicvine, I expected G-man to come out with his 3-minute expert on the bald Amish looking madman. But I guess Hugo’s short appearance couldn’t find itself being stretched or crunched.   

Strange video review

Of course I had Strange on my list of video reviews, even after seeing him hit the Arkham City trailer. Trying to make my video a bit disturbing and giving a new look to it, video reviews for Bat-villains only. I proudly present a brief look into the character known as Hugo Strange, may you enjoy the show.   

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By KenTheProfile

Intresting stuff. That Picture of him with the hooker in the cowl is crazy. He should have been the next movie villian and it would be perfect.  
    The cops bring him into profile Batman not knowing he wants to take ovver as Batman. Nolan drop the ball there.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.