undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

This feels like it was tailor-made for people who thought “I ENJOYED the last issue, but I’m not sure it went FAR enough in terms of its absurdity!” This issue is a mad romp through the Collector’s base (in which there are plenty of other Collectors to keep Howard and Rocket busy) while throwing the Guardians of the Galaxy into the mix for good measure. Chip Zdarsky doesn’t just throw them in for the hell of it, though, it does feel organic when they make their appearance and a large part of that is the method in which Rocket and Howard launch their prison break. It’s hilarious. This issue feels like it turns up the volume on the humor without actually descending into real meanness, which is the key to great comedy coupled with great parody. There’s even a strong emotional moment by issue’s end to show that this book’s not going to be all fun and games, and it works to not only make Howard more likeable and even relatable, but to give weight and gravity to the stakes that are being presented. Great stories of all stripes live and die by their stakes, it’s what made cosmic comics so boring for so many years and why that’s turned around: the stakes became more character focused. Zdarsky writes these small moments, that lead to a much larger one, without smashing the reader over the head with them (unless it’s very, very funny to do so). There’s also a three page story at the end penned by Zdarsky and drawn by Rob Guillory that is, without hyperbole, one of the funniest things ever in comics. It involves Luke Cage and Iron Fist suing Howard the Duck over the name “Hero(es) for Hire” and it’s fantastic. It’s completely outside of the continuity of the issue, but that doesn’t matter as the issue still feels like it delivers a satisfying experience within its main story.

Joe Quinones handles the pencils, and while things start out somewhat shaky, they eventually fall into place with some amazingly funny imagery and some truly great blocking. While there may not be a flat-out joke in every page, there’s always something to be impressed by and the slapstick comedy comes through as well as the frenetic pace that never feels like it loses the reader, and a large part of that has to be credited to Joe Rivera’s inks that help to reign in and guide the eye across the often chaotic scenes. Rico Renzi’s colors are interesting in this one as it’s a much darker issue in terms of its setting. The ship that Howard and Rocket find themselves on comes off as sterile and harsh, and Renzi’s colors emphasize that fact, especially with as delightful as the stars of this issue are.

The Bad

The art starts off very shaky this issue with linework being wobbly and details being muddled or mushy. It steadily improves over the course of the issue (which is in contrast to how that usually goes) until it looks great at the end, but the first several pages are not the same quality standards as the rest of the issue. It might not be as noticeable if the team hadn’t set the bar so high with last issue and what this one becomes.

The Verdict

Humorous characters tend to be hard to write because they are extremely difficult to make compelling while still hewing to what makes them funny. Deadpool runs across this problem all the time and truly great creators know how to work around the problem without betraying the core funniness of the book. Zdarsky has a great head for writing Howard as a complete screwball, but then turning things on their head and not just having some introspective, powerful moments, but they’re moments that actually tie INTO the humor. The art might not be perfect throughout, but when it gets there, it’s truly great and it still tells the story entertainingly throughout.

Avatar image for xescapetheliesx
    XescapetheliesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Any convergence reviews coming up?

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
    Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Child_of_the_Past
    judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for xescapetheliesx
    XescapetheliesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@child_of_the_past: because it was the latest review and I'm curious if any of the convergence books are with buying.

Just seems kinda strange that it's kind of a big event but all these other books are being reviewed first

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@child_of_the_past: because it was the latest review and I'm curious if any of the convergence books are with buying.

Just seems kinda strange that it's kind of a big event but all these other books are being reviewed first

wrong place to be posting about convergence....

Anywho i was bummed out my LCS didn't have anymore Howard in stock, luckily he ended up getting one later on for me and just called a little while ago

Supersmoothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

are they srsly double shipping this?

Mars8254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those RTJ covers!!! Too bad im broke

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Is there a reason why everyone's so obsessed with Aunt May or am I overselling it? First we get an admittedly hilarious one shot in the back of Deadpool #45, and now "Aunt May" is holding up a tattoo parlor? I doubt her heart can take the stress.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great read! they even managed to write the gotg correctly for the first time in a long time.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By GalacticFork

That was really good. These guys really like picking on Spider-man, though. And they implanted the image of Drax shaving Rocket... For nothing! And I'm a little sad about the lack of interaction between Howard and Groot.

High points:

Star action's Admiral Trap action figure.

"Will design any planet for you despite copyright issues"

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sinikettu

I couldn't help snickering at Howard constantly referring Rocket as a 'werewolf'.

I guess he really is an urban city duck if he can't tell the difference between a wolf and a raccoon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.