Follow

Hope Summers

Character » Hope Summers appears in 1405 issues.

The first mutant born after M-Day, Hope Summers is believed to either be the mutant messiah or the harbinger of death for humanity. She is an Omega-level mutant power manipulator and possesses a connection to the Phoenix Force.

Hypothesis: Hope Summers is not Jean Grey but--

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey
    Here's where I tell you what I think will happen in... well comics!  

Most X-Men fans are almost completely certain that Hope Summers is the reincarnated form of  Jean Grey, and who could blame them for thinking that? Both Jean Grey and Hope Summers have red hair and green eyes and apparently they both have telekinesis powers as well, but there's someone else that fits that description... 
    No Caption Provided

Hope will survive
    Hope will survive

One will Rise
    One will Rise
    July will bring the last chapter of the current X-Men crossover event, and after that we get a new story named "We are the X-Men". The ads for the "We are the X-Men" event have shown that Hope Summers will survive Second Coming, and her uniform hints at it being a new Phoenix costume. (See Left)

Recap: Hope was the first mutant born after M-Day, so to most mutants this was a sign of hope to mutantkind. She was found in Alaska and after a battle for this baby Messiah, Cable (son of Cyclops) took Hope to the future and raised her into her teenage years, which is funny because it would make Cyclops, Hope's grandfather. While growing up, Hope was trained for survival, she ran from Forge and she found her abilities to be telekinesis-like, plus a Phoenix force signature on her, various times.

Facts: According to all the Second Coming ads: One will Lead, One Will Die, One Will Rise, One Will Sacrifice and All Will Unite... The one that must be focused on is One will Rise. (See Left) On one side we have a sign of hope for mutantkind and on the other we see destruction brought by the Phoenix force in Hope.  

The fact that the Phoenix is inside Hope should suggest that she is Jean right?  
    Have we forgotten that Jean Grey is not the only Phoenix host?  

As far as I know the Stepford Cuckoos have a part of the Phoenix, and there is also Jean Grey's daughter, Rachel Summers... (Do you see where I'm going from here?) 

Now, last time we saw Jean Grey she became the White Phoenix in the North Pole ( Phoenix: Endsong) and the North Pole and Alaska are pretty close. 

Hypothesis:

Could it be that Hope Summers, rather than being Jean reincarnated, in fact be Jean Grey's daughter? If you think about it Phoenix creates life, and Hope could be the result of somekind of offspring from Jean Grey.  
    There's also the idea that she might be the 616 version of Rachel Summers, since Rachel Summers was from an alternate universe.  

If this proves true then Jean, once again, provides saving to mutantkind and the X-Men. 

So, have I gone too far? What do you all think?
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

HINTS at being a Phoenix costume? It flat out says "PHOENIX ALERT!"

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Edamame said:

"I postulated that Hope is Madelyne Pryor"

Right I totally forgot about her... she fits the description also! 
    but it's less likely since she was in the X-Men radar not too long ago as the leader of the Sisterhood
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I thought Hope got a new uniform?

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Comiclove5

Huh. You come up with the best and most thought out hypothesis. This is a very interesting Idea. I completely agree with you that this is very possible.
    Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Pez85

I'm kinda Hope-ing (ha!) that Jean stays in the grave. How f'ed up would it be that Cable raised his own mother? And I really don't want to see a Scott/Emma/Jean triangle. Hope turing out to be a 616 Madelyne Pryor would be a great twist. However, I think that the mutants have been screwed over enough that it won't come to that.

Psyboy2k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Psyboy2k9

This is a good theory, but I'm still hoping that she is Jean Grey reborn, but you could be on to something since we did see Jean talk to Emma Frost in the astral plane or White Hot Room while Hope was hoping around in the future with Cable.  I also think these "We are the X-Men" ads are bogus.  Reason being is because why would they feature Hope in these ads before Second Coming is thru, why would they just spoil something like that.  Plus the recent ad featured X-man and a vampire Jubilee, plus I'm sure the art work for these ads would be a bit better, not that I'm saying the art for these suck, but I would think they would get someone of more quality.  We'll just have to see how this pans out.  Cheers.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Pez85 said:
    "I'm kinda Hope-ing (ha!) that Jean stays in the grave. How f'ed up would it be that Cable raised his own mother?"
    but Jean is not dead! She's in the White Hot Room as the White Phoenix 

@Comiclove5 said:
    "Huh. You come up with the best and most thought out hypothesis. This is a very interesting Idea. I completely agree with you that this is very possible. "
    Thank You! :)
    MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By MichaeltheFly

Hmmm, could Hope be in fact Rachel Summers?

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Korg
    @sora_thekey said:

" There's also the idea that she might be the 616 version of Rachel Summers, since Rachel Summers was from an alternate universe."

House of M showed us that there are no alternate Rachels, just the one. So, it's not her.

As far as I know the Stepford Cuckoos have a part of the Phoenix  

The Phoenix left the Cuckoos a while ago.
    Skeletor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skeletor
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By CellphoneGirl

That is possible.

Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By crimsonspider89

Alright, she can't be Maddie due to Maddie being the one behind the recent sisterhood arc which was responsible for the return of Psylocke to the X-Men and Hope was borned before that. She can't be the daughter of Jean considering that she was only a year old at most but Jean has been gone longer than a year. Looking like it will be Jean Grey and makes sense with the name Second Coming.

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kerukun878
    @Michael the Fly said:
    " Hmmm, could Hope be in fact Rachel Summers? "
    A 616 Rachel? Nah. That'd ruin the feel of the character, both Rachel and Hope.

Hope is UNDOUBTEDLY Jean, no matter what hypothesis you come to, the most likely answer is that the Phoenix, after Jean collected all of it's pieces, reincarnated Jean into Hope.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Edamame said:
    " @sora_thekey said:

" @Edamame said:

"I postulated that Hope is Madelyne Pryor"

Right I totally forgot about her... she fits the description also! but it's less likely since she was in the X-Men radar not too long ago as the leader of the Sisterhood "
     Consider the following: -Both initially appeared in Alaska -Both seem to bear a strong resemblance to Jean Grey (for Maddie, the reason is obvious) and some connection to the Phoenix Force (I've always read that Madelyne "awakened" after Dark Phoenix killed herself, but I'm unsure where that is referenced). -Making Hope be a resurrected Jean almost seems too easy. I expect a twist. -Sinister, who created Madelyne and always seems interested in the Summers clan, was heavily involved in the story in which Hope appeared. Coincidence? Maybe. But it could be a big clue, as well. -Madelyne was Cable's mother. Cable is raising Hope. Wouldn't that create some rather interesting symmetry? -Bishop's apparent insanity and belief that Hope is some sort of catalyst for his own time would be slightly more understandable and believable if Hope were the Goblin Queen rather than simply Jean Grey, wouldn't they? Maybe she really will bring about some sort of ruin... -Madelyne has really only returned intermittently since her death in Inferno, and it had gotten to the point that I'm not sure any of those appearances were actually her. "
    I agree Jean Grey is too easy... and that's why I've been looking for a twist (hence the offspring hypothesis)... 
    With all the information you bring to the table... I guess she could be Maddie's daughter!  (Which would mean Cable raised his sister!)

@crimsonspider89 said:
    "Alright, she can't be Maddie due to Maddie being the one behind the recent sisterhood arc which was responsible for the return of Psylocke to the X-Men and Hope was borned before that. She can't be the daughter of Jean considering that she was only a year old at most but Jean has been gone longer than a year. Looking like it will be Jean Grey and makes sense with the name Second Coming. "
    "Second Coming" could mean Hope's second coming, since it's her return...  
    If this would be Jean Grey's return it would not be Second Coming it would be her 5th!

@kerukun878 said:
    " @Michael the Fly said:
    " Hmmm, could Hope be in fact Rachel Summers? "
    A 616 Rachel? Nah. That'd ruin the feel of the character, both Rachel and Hope.  Hope is UNDOUBTEDLY Jean, no matter what hypothesis you come to, the most likely answer is that the Phoenix, after Jean collected all of it's pieces, reincarnated Jean into Hope. "

How could she be the reincarnation of Jean if Jean is not dead? 

@Skeletor
    said:
    "Lmao, if she is the child of jean grey then

she is the reincarnation, ololo simple math.
    "
    Just because I'm my parent's son doesn't make me their reincarnation does it? 

@Korg said:
    " @sora_thekey said:

" There's also the idea that she might be the 616 version of Rachel Summers, since Rachel Summers was from an alternate universe."

House of M showed us that there are no alternate Rachels, just the one. So, it's not her.

The Phoenix left the Cuckoos a while ago. "
    Ok so she's not Rachel, but why not her sister? 
    When did the Phoenix leave the Cuckoos?
    Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By crimsonspider89
    @sora_thekey:  The Phoenix left cuckoos in UXM # 517. As it left Rachel in space recently with Rachel saying, "Mom not right now" It is referring to the "rebirth" of Jean Grey. AKA Hope. Maddie did not have a body and who would be the father? Gonna be Jean in a younger body. With her and Hope's memories.
    KingBlackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KingBlackagar

Maybe she's really the daughter of Cable? Was is stated how he knew about her? If it was I don't remember it. Or did he know about her from the future he was raised in? Eh, I'm probably wrong, I have no idea who the mother could be. I think just some random girl would be weird. I had an idea that since Jean is the Phoenix and the Phoenix is Jean that the fragment (if it's a fragment) mutated Hope's genes to be like Jeans. But that's probably a bad idea to go with.
    treysome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By treysome

They could of made Hope have a dragon snout and breathe fire, anything was possible.   Yet they made her very Jean-ish.   Infact Maddie and Rachel also have a bit Jean in them.   Would they really bring in another new red hair, green eyed TK/TP phoenix girl?   Tom one of the editors has straight up said Hope is not 616 Rachel.   So you can cross that off the list.   We know the Force is showing up in this though and last time we saw it merged with Jean looking for the other fragments.   The writers/Editors will answer no Jean questions without saying the usually “keep reading”.   So at least Jean/Phoenix will make an appearance.   Esp with the info she gave Emma.  Maybe Hope is Cable’s replacement when he bites it in SC along with Nightcrawler.  

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @treysome said:
    " They could of made Hope have a dragon snout and breathe fire, anything was possible.   Yet they made her very Jean-ish.   Infact Maddie and Rachel also have a bit Jean in them.   Would they really bring in another new red hair, green eyed TK/TP phoenix girl?   Tom one of the editors has straight up said Hope is not 616 Rachel.   So you can cross that off the list.   We know the Force is showing up in this though and last time we saw it merged with Jean looking for the other fragments.   The writers/Editors will answer no Jean questions without saying the usually “keep reading”.   So at least Jean/Phoenix will make an appearance.   Esp with the info she gave Emma.  Maybe Hope is Cable’s replacement when he bites it in SC along with Nightcrawler.   "
    maybe they are all fragments of the pheonix force. Maybe Hope is the other side of the same coin to Jean. hope could secretly start collecting fragments and people with connections to it. Eventually Jean will come back and they will fight for all the power of the pheonix force. K i just made all that up but it would work.

@crimsonspider89 said:
    "Alright, she can't be Maddie due to Maddie being the one behind the recent sisterhood arc which was responsible for the return of Psylocke to the X-Men and Hope was borned before that. She can't be the daughter of Jean considering that she was only a year old at most but Jean has been gone longer than a year. Looking like it will be Jean Grey and makes sense with the name Second Coming. "
    Even with the name second coming it still doesnt have to be Jean, it could be the reincarnation of jean or maybe the second coming of a true host for the Pheonix Force. Or it could just mean that the prophosized one  is returning 

@Korg said:
    " @sora_thekey said:

The Phoenix left the Cuckoos a while ago. "
    House of M showed us there WERE no alternate Rachels at that time. (i dont remember it showing us that)

@Michael the Fly
    said:
    "Hmmm, could Hope be in fact Rachel Summers? "

i found this claim most interesting, wouldnt that make her the actual off spring of Scott?
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kerukun878
    @DEGRAAF: Hope IS the true holder of the PF. :S
    Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
    squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think anything is possible and that is good speculation. 
    but i think its a clone of jean it makes sense and its the easy way out.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @kerukun878 said:
    " @DEGRAAF: Hope IS the true holder of the PF. :S "

was that stated some where?
    KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By KumoriKunoichi

It doesn't matter: she's the character that will never die.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sora_thekey
    @KumoriKunoichi: Who?
    KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By KumoriKunoichi
    @sora_thekey: 
    Jean Grey and every form of her. I'm really sick of her.
    mattastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mattastic

The whole Rachel thing doesn't make a lot of sense either.  Why would they introduce a new Rachel when the one we have right now has issues.

I don't think that she is Jean's daughter.  Considering Jean is in the White Hot Room.  I think Hope is her own person, she might have a connection to Jean, and clearly to the Phoenix, but I think she is her own person.

Avatar image for paranormal_life
    Paranormal_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Paranormal_Life

You said a lot of the same stuff I had recently come to conclude. Though, I'm leaning more towards the fact that Hope is Jean Grey reincarnated. This is primarily based off of the Phoenix egg in the Here Comes Tomorrow story line- the one that had an infantile Jean Grey within. My theory is that the Phoenix egg finally hatched, which coincides with the destruction caused at her birth. But my second theory is that she is the second offspring of Scott and Jean, which is why Nathan cares so much for her...because he's her big brother.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By Erik

Jean Grey is the Phoenix Force, not a host. If Hope has the Phoenix Force, it is likely that she is either a new host for Jean/Phoenix or she is Jean reincarnated. I prefer the latter because there really is no need for the Phoenix Force to have a host because of Jean. Also, Jean is not Cable's mother. Madelyne is.  

Rachel does not have any alternate reality counterparts. They are all one person IIRC. I do not know what issue this is in, but it states it in this issue: 

No Caption Provided
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Also didn't Emma see Jean, and helped her snap out of the illusion that Lady Mastermind put her in?

Avatar image for diamondtelepath
    diamondtelepath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By diamondtelepath

I'm really not into trying to figure this out ahead of time only because I'm on the fence of how I would feel if Jean "came back" in any type of form, but I did have one important question, lol... 

When did Jean talk to Emma? Was that during the Sisterhood arc?  

Thanks in advance!  =D

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sora_thekey
    @diamondtelepath said:
    " I'm really not into trying to figure this out ahead of time only because I'm on the fence of how I would feel if Jean "came back" in any type of form, but I did have one important question, lol...  When did Jean talk to Emma? Was that during the Sisterhood arc?    Thanks in advance!  =D "
    It's not official that it was jean to talked to Emma, but it is the most likely explanation....
    In the Sisterhood arc she was captured by Lady Mastermind and was being mentally "tortured" but a naked red-headed woman came and freed her!
    COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By COBRAMORPH

Well, Hope was raised by Cable, & Rachel did kiss him while in Captain Britian's body.

bent25j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bent25j

I think that Jean Grey was pregnant when she got killed by Magneto, and then somehow the fetus got transfered to a different host in Alaska.
    kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By kiss_lamia
    @Edamame said:

" I postulated that Hope is Madelyne Pryor "

that could be possible for example hope dies maddie has a new body to come back into that can handle her energies, hopefully she makes  a return soon coz  she is just awesome lol
    Avatar image for phoenix_decending
    Phoenix_Decending

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the theory that Hope is Madelyne reborn harboring the Dark Phoenix. Some clues like her and Prof. X not getting along, Bishop thinking shes bad, Emma almost smothering her, etc., and then there was Jeans apperance to Emma to "prepare". For the second coming of the Dark Phoenix? Hope has already exhibited some "rage issues".

We know Jean is alive as the White Phoenix gathering fragments of the Phoenix Force. The Dark Phoenix would be one of these fragments correct? Im guessing the Dark Phoenix wouldn't want to go quietly and Madelyne would be a perfect host for the Dark Phoenix, considering. That could be the 2nd coming that is referred, of the Dark Phoenix. Plus it has been hinted before that Madelyne, in another version (X-Men: The End), was the Dark Phoenix. From her wiki page: "After Cyclops and Jean Grey are also killed, Madelyne cryptically reveals that, since the very beginning, she was always both Madelyne Pryor and a crucial portion of Jean Grey herself (and even hinted to being the Dark Phoenix)" And we know that Madelyn came from Alaska and she and Scott lived there. As the Red Queen she tried to bring herself back using a lock of Jeans hair and her body but failed because Scott had switched Jeans body causing Madelyne to "either discorporate or become absorbed into the fake, but her ultimate fate is unknown."

I kinda hope we are leading up to a square off between White Phoenix (Jean) and Dark Phoenix (Madelyne). Just my thoughts.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

I don't really care what going to happen to hope or what ever i just want jean back :( and if hope is going to some how in some shape way or form guna bring jean back then hope is bad a** for that lol

njones5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By njones5

I don't care about hope i want jean back however

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenix_decending: I think this would make for a compelling story. I'd love to see this happen and the reactions from it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.