Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack
No Caption Provided

"HERCULES" RETURNS IN NEW MARVEL SERIES BY ABNETT & ROSS

Being one of the Marvel Universe's ageless beings often means confronting several lifetimes' worth of regret, but it also means it's never too late to atone and turn your life around, a lesson the Olympian demigod Hercules knows all too well. Over his centuries of life, he's done some good, but he's also misbehaved quite often.

In November, writer Dan Abnett and artist Luke Ross launch a new ongoing "Hercules" series. In it, Herc attempts to turn over a new leaf and become the hero he once was and knows he can be again. It's a quest that will have the Avenger confronting the challenges that arise when modern day Manhattan and the myths of various ancient cultures collide.

In an exclusive first interview, Abnett spoke with CBR News about his plans for the Olympian demigod, the way in which he and Ross will examine the character's past while honoring previous continuity, and the mythical and Marvel characters Herc will encounter on his quest to be a better hero and god.

Source.

I'm so excited!! :D

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Wait but how does he get his godlike strength and powers back? Is that minor pitfall going to be skipped over just because Marvel's doing a soft reboot?

Even so, this interview has done something I didn't think was possible, actually make me genuinely interested in a Marvel book. Though if the rumours about Hercules being bi-sexual and that being explored for the pompous sake of diversity are true, I'll go right back into my abstinence from Marvel comics.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

I guess this is gonna sell well, with all the frustrated Thor fans around.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Wait but how does he get his godlike strength and powers back? Is that minor pitfall going to be skipped over just because Marvel's doing a soft reboot?

Even so, this interview has done something I didn't think was possible, actually make me genuinely interested in a Marvel book. Though if the rumours about Hercules being bi-sexual and that being explored for the pompous sake of diversity are true, I'll go right back into my abstinence from Marvel comics.

So you're boycotting marvel until they don't have any non hetro characters? I was into greek mythology way before I started to read comics so to me it would make less sense for Herc to not be bi if he isn't bi in this new book. Gay sex was socially accepted and common in ancient Greece as it was in most cultures before the invention of Christianity where they demonized it during the crusades.

Either way I don't really care about Herc's sexuality since that's such a small part of a character like Herc with a big personality.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

That cover looks amazing and I hope the book is awesome because I really miss the days when Herc was one heck of a character that I simply adored.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@lvenger: Herc has always been biesexual

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Dem Muscles.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they put some pants on him at last, lol.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Lion of Olympus is back ya'll

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats..unexpected...and interesting. Maybe not all is lost with Marvel.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lvenger

@teerack said:

So you're boycotting marvel until they don't have any non hetro characters? I was into greek mythology way before I started to read comics so to me it would make less sense for Herc to not be bi if he isn't bi in this new book. Gay sex was socially accepted and common in ancient Greece as it was in most cultures before the invention of Christianity where they demonized it during the crusades.

Either way I don't really care about Herc's sexuality since that's such a small part of a character like Herc with a big personality.

Jumping to conclusions I see? To presume I'm only not reading Marvel comics for one reason is incredibly presumptuous even by your standards. Yes their absurd diversity for diversity's sake PR stunts is one reason I'm not reading Marvel at the moment, but it's also because of their overuse of death and resurrecting characters, their reliance on temporary gimmicks and PR stunts, ignoring and actively shunning characters and franchises to whom they don't own the film rights for, or because I feel many of my favourite Marvel characters have gone through changes and creative teams I cannot stand seeing e.g Spider-Man, Thor, Captain America. Do I need to compile a bigger list or is this enough to show my other problems with Marvel?

You aren't the only poster on here who's into Greek mythology from a young age and aware of this fact as well, doesn't alter how I feel about Marvel suddenly bringing in that side of Greek society when Hercules has never shown any interest in men in his Marvel incarnation. It would still be out of left field by the character's standards based on his behaviour throughout his comic book appearances even if it would be fine by his contemporary Greek standards.

As for Herc's big personality, Abnett sounds like he's going to be dialling back on Hercules' pompous and arrogant side, which is a big reason why fans have been drawn to Hercules as a loudmouth demigod.

@jonny_anonymous said:

When has 616 Herc ever shown any interest in men in canon outside of that Bleeding Cool article which looked into one panel way too much? His alternate gay relationship with alternate Wolverine doesn't count you know.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: A part from when Pak confirmed he intended for Her to be bi? You clearly know that Herc in myth is bi just like every Greek of that era so I'm not sure why you would be so against it.

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant wait.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: A part that could easily have been misconstrued as a throwaway gag and, if it was true, why didn't Pak do more with it? All of Pak's romantic/former love interest scenes in his Hercules run like seeing his wife Hebe kiss Spidey and fighting Namor whilst having a reunion with Namorita, none of that is the sign of someone who's a bisexual. If you want your character to do something or be something, you have to show, not tell. Otherwise it comes out as out of nowhere just like Original 5 Iceman being gay when present/current Iceman isn't.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: You don't see how your first post clearly implies your lack of interest in a book depending on the characters sexual orientation?

We've seen less than 5% of Herc's life in the comics with him being immortal so us not seeing him do gay stuff in the comics yet isn't really significant considering how old he is.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Just because it was a joke doesn't mean it's not true, also he was straight up asked in an interview and he said yes. I didn't realize you were against that sort of thing.

Gpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's anything like the previous series that was full of gods, epicness, cosmic, and more cosmic galore then I'm in.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Or, for God's sake, the question was "When has 616 Herc ever shown any interest in men?" Never. And he showen a lot of interests in women.Therefore Pak's joke... or some word trown for some public... means less then nothing, yeh? No feats, no bits.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: And my answer was just because it was a joke doesn't make it not true also Pak straight up said he was so take your attitude elsewhere.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the subject of Herc's sexuality he did joke that he's attracted men before due to his unblockable charm. Not sure if he did anything with them though.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rubear

@micah: @jonny_anonymous: I hope you understand that to attract (unitentionally or intentionally) and to be attracted by are rather different things...? xD

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: I do just throwing out my two cents lol.

hercuthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just awesome news all around! Pak and Van Lente's run was amazing and all of Bob Layton's were masterpieces. I just hope that Dan Abnett really establishes Hercules as the true powerhouse he is to rival Hulk and Thor.

Also I'm very interested as it sounds like Abnett is going to exploring his actual fighting skills which will be cool to see.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Abnett will do great on this

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lvenger

@teerack: I'm afraid I don't considering how nothing of my original post indicated I disliked this addition to Hercules' personality based on him being actually bi-sexual. I dislike it because it comes out of nowhere based on Hercules' previous writing and because Abnett's not indicating that's the direction he'll take Hercules in, Bleeding Cool is as per usual of their pot stirring nonsense.

@jonny_anonymous said:

@lvenger: Just because it was a joke doesn't mean it's not true, also he was straight up asked in an interview and he said yes. I didn't realize you were against that sort of thing.

I mean seriously, you're going to jump to a completely BS assumption that I'm somehow against LGBT in comics based on your flawed misinterpretation of my comment and opinion? I expected better from you Jonny, it's not that hard to see what my real problem with this change is yet you've made me out as having an unpleasant opinion on this subject. Which is something I don't take very kindly at all considering I'm completely in support of equal rights for sexuality and preference. As for Pak's comment, it's about as credible as another interview statement where he said WBH could beat up Superman, there's no way of knowing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@jonny_anonymous Hercules isn't Bi, if I recall correctly, there was a point where he was approached by a male and he turned down the offer, acknowledging that while the offer was flattering, it just wouldn't happen. That said, him being interested in men makes sense given his Greek background, more so than Punisher or someone like him being bisexual and/or gay.

As for the series itself, I am interested. Definitely going to give this a shot,the writer seems to know what he's doing and seems to be a fan of the character. I hope he lives up to Greg Pak's fun yet meaningfully character driven Hercules run. And also, that costume design looks absolutely fantastic.

I genuinely can't wait for this.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm might check this out

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

From what I remember he became bisexual only under Pak's X-Treme X-Men run. And that version of him wasn't even the main one but a version from an alternate Earth or timeline, or at least something like that.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I did not say that, I'm just saying I didn't expect you to be so against possibility of Herc a Greek god who has been about for thousands of years possibly having more than one sexual preference. I mean it's worked all this time for actual mythological Herc not sure what the difference here is.

jstndmnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

I'm looking forward to this, but I still want to look at some more sneak peaks to see how it will look.

I don't know the writer much, does anyone know if he is good?

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uugieboogie

@lvenger said:

I agree w/ this and I get what you mean w/ the underlined part. Its not about him being bi its about Marvel doing another PR stunt after another. If he's bi let him be bi but enough of the PR stunts. Hopefully Marvel doesn't mess up another one of their gods I'm looking forward to this.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lvenger

@jonny_anonymous: Well I'm pleased to hear it, but you were a bit ambiguous in the way you phrased it. And as I stated before, the reason why I'm not fond of Hercules suddenly being bi-sexual is because there's nothing building it up in his history. Or that the change would come out of nowhere. Both of which happened with characters such as Alan Scott and Iceman in the last few years, which haven't been received overly well.

And if what AcidSkull says about Hercules actually turning a dude down is true, then that'll make the bi-sexual switch in conflict with Hercules' character, in spite of how fitting it would be due to his Ancient Greek background. Unless Abnett did some major backstory explaining to unfamiliar readers why Hercules is suddenly bi-sexual, the readers would be left unclear.

But to cut off my complaining, the interviews and press statements have me genuinely interested in this Marvel comic, which is something I didn't think could happen what with Marvel's current ethos, and business practice of diversity and purposefully enraging their fans. I've heard Abnett and Lanning are a dream team of writers for Marvel on Guardians of the Galaxy and Marvel's cosmic events but I wonder how good Abnett is on his own.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I don't see this the same as Ice Man since Herc comes from a culture were exuality isn't a thing also I don't think sexuality is something that needs built up to, it should be something thats just there but doesn't really make a difference.

Turning down one dude by saying your not interested doesn't make you not bi anymore than someone turning down a girl makes them gay.

There is to many good sounding books coming up at Marvel for me to ignore them. Karnak being a gritty streetleveler written by Warren Ellis, Daredevil going back to being dark crime noir, Blade returning and now this.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is just awesome news all around! Pak and Van Lente's run was amazing and all of Bob Layton's were masterpieces. I just hope that Dan Abnett really establishes Hercules as the true powerhouse he is to rival Hulk and Thor.

Also I'm very interested as it sounds like Abnett is going to exploring his actual fighting skills which will be cool to see.

This^.

hercuthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: Verily! Here's to hoping for some new Herc classics!

I have to admit I'm a little sad to see his classic "skirt" costume gone, but I'll accept the loss a lot easier if Abnett can deliver like I hope he does.

What do you think about the Gilgamesh angle?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Herc's classic Kirby-designed costume and the subsequent costumes based on the original design, too. I'm not a big fan of all the 90's-style pouches or he bun Herc appears to have his hair in but other than those things this new look isn't too bad.

I hope the new stories garner Herc the respect he truly deserves by telling good/great stories and by showcasing how truly strong, skilled and courageous he is. I'm not sure what Gilgamesh's role will be. (What is his role?) I like Gilgamesh, though, and think it makes sense to have another immortal appear alongside Hercules.

hercuthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hercuthor

@powerherc: I agree on the costumes and the reported "man bun". Like I said its be a small trade for the stories and respect I think all Herc fans want

I believe Gilgamesh will be Herc's buddy who is crashing on his couch and part of Hercules' motivation to be a hero again is to show Gilgamesh the way as he (Gilgamesh) doesn't see the point anymore as they live so long/forever etc that's sort of what I gathered from the interview.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hercuthor: Sounds cool.

Gilgamesh has never really been developed much as a character but he is supposed to be even older than Herc so I can see why he's be bored and I can see the two of them having a good partnership if handled correctly.

hercuthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: I think it could be interesting as they have been mistaken for each other in the past haven't they? That could lead to some good interaction and a very realistic feeling friendship with "inside" jokes and a sense of past etc

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Personally, I am looking forward to this. Hopefully, it will do what Incredible Hercules failed to do. The latter started out with the idea Hercules would try to take things more seriously only to quickly revert back to Hercules the Buffoon. Worse, he really blew it at the end when he nearly destroyed the entire universe.

If Hercules' labors and heroic feats are truly worthy of deep respect then they would have to have been a real danger to him and he would not have been able to clown around like he usually does in battle. The interview is correct and Hercules comes off as kind of costing through life. He is supposed to be a master warrior, but has rarely shown it over the years relying on brute strength and toughness to see him through. He may not be as good at battle tactics, strategy, and overall military knowledge, but Herc should be just as good and knowledgeable with weapons. In many ways, Hercules is a softer version of Ares. Herc could easily make a god of war. The only real reason I do not see him as one is Athena is better at the mental aspects and Ares has far greater enthusiasm for the more military and killing aspects. Marvel Hercules has always been more of a brawler than a killer.

And I hope it will portray him in a way where he gets as respected as Thor. His clowishness can make it hard to respect him. Thor is the guy who parties yet usually retains a dignified manner. Herc is the guy who gets drunk and is later filmed dancing naked in the streets who then throws people through windows who interrupt his fun. It is kind of difficult to hold the same respect for tabloid fodder.

As for the new costume, I like all of it except the unnecessary codpiece. It just looks...weird.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Looks like we got our confirmation

Also, a lot of fans have been curious if the character's sexuality -- it's been strongly suggested Hercules is bisexual, and in "X-Treme X-Men" an alternate Hercules was in a relationship with Wolverine -- will play a part in the series. Is there any insight you can provide at this point?

Alonso: Hercules and James Howlett's relationship in "X-Treme X-Men" took place in a unique alternate universe, similar to how Colossus was gay in the Ultimate Universe, but is straight in the 616. Same goes for Hercules here.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Well now I've had time to think about it, I'm actually surprised Marvel didn't make Hercules bi sexual as befitting a man who has been around since the time of Ancient Greece. It'd have to be done well and tastefully though, not Marvel's usual pandering excuses for diversity that they've done thus far. But having reflected on it further, Hercules might have worked as a bi sexual character. I just didn't want Marvel to force it poorly when all of Herc's romantic interests thus far have been women.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Sure, I get it. Would have made infinitely more sense to have made Herc bi and kept Ice Man straight but that's Marvel for you.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Indeed, I could see that scenario working out well in the long term. This though is actually confusing even by Marvel's standards, who are currently jumping at the chance for diversity in comics.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Maybe because it would be to "easy" and wouldn't make a big publicity splash? Like when they come out with "Thor is totally a girl now!" people are like "WTF? I need to see what's going on." But if they went "Herc is bi" people would be like "yeah no shit dude".

thedude4731

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thedude4731

So its official, one writer proclaimed Herc to be bisexual when his history in the MARVEL UNIVERSE would say otherwise (other than that one panel), while the newest and most current writer tell us he's straight... So I guess he's straight, let move on. I personally couldn't be more exited by this news and look forward to supporting this new series.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@lvenger said:

@jonny_anonymous: Indeed, I could see that scenario working out well in the long term. This though is actually confusing even by Marvel's standards, who are currently jumping at the chance for diversity in comics.

Oh, you know Hercules looks to masculine to market him to teenage girls that squee the moment to guys remotely touch each other and write horrible slash fanfictions with straight character.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.