Follow

Hellion

Character » Hellion appears in 1276 issues.

Hellion is a powerful mutant telekinetic. He was a student at the Xavier Institute, leader of the Hellions squad and Emma Frost's prize pupil. Hellion lost his hands during Second Coming, received cybernetic replacements, and is currently enrolled at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning.

What was so great about Hellion?

bsmith1190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By bsmith1190

Now if the title didn't already give it away I am in fact part of the camp that doesn't like Hellion. Now hold your horses cause it may not be for the reasons you think. Now him being a jerk in Academy X certainly didn't help and in those books I just wrote him off. Then comes New X-Men where he goes from being a jerk to just dull in my opinion, and he's remained that ever since for me. Granted he got better I admit, but he was just never that interesting to me, and the only thing he had going for him, and for me this isn't saying much, was that he liked X-23. A friend of mine describes him as "a tool inspired by the movie Push" which I chuckle at for obvious reasons. Now my point, I keep finding people who honestly like him and for the life of me I can't fathom why, beyond being fangirl bait. So I am asking you, people who do like him, what was so great about Hellion? Please tell me why.

And for the love of God I'm not trolling, so please try to be civil, I don't look down on anyone for liking him.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AgeofHurricane

I think it's the loyalty.

But for me, his good taste. He obviously knew what a rare treasure Sofia Mantega was, and still is.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By frozenedge2

For me it was that he had massive telekinetic potential. He demolished an entire floor trying to pick up a paper clip if i remember right. He could've been useful plenty of times if he were used right. I'm still holding out hope somebody will remember how strong he was and use him the right way

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DarkxSeraph

I apologize in advance for the formating of this post(browser is old and screws it up). Alright, so, here's a point of view from a rather large Hellion fan. When he was brought into the books, he was obviously the -jerk-. Let's be honest, the way he handled Nori showing up when she was homeless, on down to the rivalries he built with just about everyone he encountered--or the flat out disdain that he had for him. Hellion was written like the class jock/bully. However... this isn't wnat makes him 'cool.' What MADE (more on this later) cool was the fact that he grew as a character through the Young X-Men series (childhood's end, in particular was a good arc for him). We saw him start to value his team more and truly care about them. Yes, he still had his arrogance, but where he was going (especially during his relationship building with Laura) was shifting that arrogance into confidence. Then... somewhere, lines were crossed and the ball was dropped and he went back to being the utter jerk. He was a character that had the potential to be something great. To come out of his arrogance and emerge as a powerful mutant and leader. Alas, judging by everything that has happened after he lost his hands, Marvel has hardcore dropped him; though it is fixable and possible to make him a mainstay among the younger characters.

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By snyderman567

Hellion is basically the typical pretty boy douche who female readers like because he shows his softer side to the least popular girl at school ( X-23). There is nothing terrible about him, but nothing great either.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Hm. vast oversimplification that shows nothing known about the character. Nice.

DurararaFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DurararaFTW

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2272103.html#cutid1

His friendship with Mercury was much more endearing to me then his treatment off X-23. The fact that he was only that nice to her, rather then being on indiscriminate good terms with anyone, made it stand out to me.

Nickolaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They just nerfed all his development in his debut comic run. Hellion just needs to be written by writers that are fans of his character and write him to honor that, not to be a cardboard cutout to fullfill a purpose aside from his character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.