Follow

Hellion

Character » Hellion appears in 1278 issues.

Hellion is a powerful mutant telekinetic. He was a student at the Xavier Institute, leader of the Hellions squad and Emma Frost's prize pupil. Hellion lost his hands during Second Coming, received cybernetic replacements, and is currently enrolled at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning.

Grr, so it continues...WatXm #1 spoiler alert

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By k2
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By John Valentine

I can't read your post. But, I'm guessing it's about Hellion's ridiculous regression to being a school bully again. RIDIC.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@k2:Your spoiler isn't working.

@John Valentine: Yeah, as much as I liked the issue that was one of my problems with it.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k2

@John Valentine: @JoseDRiveraTCR7:

Yes, yes my comment was about the school bully stuff. I'm mad that Comicvine ate my comment! Double GRRR! So everyone just be warned that I'm talking about WaTXM #1 here. Not going to use the spoiler feature again because it eats my comments.

SPOILER

Yeah I was so ticked off that they used Julian as a petty bully and for comedy relief (showing him getting beat up by the school). So all the years of development spent on him are just going down the drain. And now Globb Herman is his lackey, which I think is trying to imply he's like Quentin Quire (the treatment of whom I am also pretty upset about). It's a very sad waste of interesting, dynamic characters.

Also, the whole "We're here for the girls" comment...WTF? Just later this month he's appearing in X-23, where their feelings about each other will be made clear, and Liu's been dropping major hints about a near-kiss scene and stuff, indicating there are feelings...from a none-shipper standpoint even, I don't understand how he can be the stereotypical a**hole skirtchaser at school at the same time as wanting to get serious with another character in that manner. Feelings being involved generally implies dedicated one's self to their partner of interest. In addition...what happened to the reasons he gave to Prodigy in the Regenesis one-shot? It's now 'durr durr girls'? Again, I say WTF o,O

I think, to make this easier on my brain, I'm going to treat it as an alternate universe case, where they are two separate versions of Hellion...

END SPOILER

It's too bad that he doesn't get any good writers working with him again. The X-23 book has had the best representations of him since Kyle and Yost. But As much as I want him to be with X-23, I'd also like to see him having some stories of his own, with genuine development as a character, so he wouldn't just be an emotional prompt for Laura. Come on, writers, he can be so much more! /end GRRRRRR

Gawdzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Gawdzilla

I thought the scene was Hi-larious. If you can't laugh at your fav character, there is something wrong with you.

Yes, Hellion regressed back to his "bully" status. But look at this way: a) there is a brood attending school and b) Broo the Brood is a new character. He needs his X-Men "initiation" hehehe.

Yes having Glob as his lackey is a downgrade...but what can you do. I trust Jason Aaron. And the chicks comment....lol. While yes Hellion has a thing for X-23, and it's going to be the topic during the next X-23 arc, Hellion has always had a weakness for a pretty face. He's a guy...a teenage guy for that matter. And besides X-23 isn't at the School to keep him line....so yeah.

All and all say what you will about Hellion's appearance in Wolverine and the X-Men #1...but look at this way...at least he showed up! With Mike Carey leaving Legacy, we need to enjoy our Hellion appearances when we can. Trust Jason Aaron. And if you can't trust Jason....Trust his Beard.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Kairan1979
    @Gawdzilla

And besides X-23 isn't at the School to keep him line....so yeah.

Maybe that's the point? Hellion switched back to Jerk Mode --> X-23 comes to the school to set him straight.
    k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By k2

I disagree. I'm able to laugh at my favorite characters, sure; if I look at it from a non-fan view, sure it's funny. But I'm still upset at seeing him reduced to being a bully, with no explanation given. He'd moved beyond that in the Kyle & Yost days. And the 'girls' comment; sure, he could be a regular teenaged boy, and yes perhaps he could do that while still being interested in someone else; but what happened to the explanation he gave Prodigy in X-men Regenesis (the one-shot)? He told David he wanted a chance to go to school again, to a place where he needn't sacrifice himself for homework assignments. Those stances conflict. Yeah sure, maybe they just threw him in the make the first WatXM funny, and that I wouldn't be annoyed with. But is this how Aaron is going to continue to portray Hellion? I hope not, because he's a great character that deserves some decent portrayals, even if he doesn't get center stage.

@Kairan1979 said:

@Gawdzilla:

Maybe that's the point? Hellion switched back to Jerk Mode --> X-23 comes to the school to set him straight.

Perhaps, but I doubt it. Most writers don't seem to read the other comics to find out what's going on. I'm not familiar with Aaron's research level about his characters so I can't say for sure, but I'll hazard a guess that he doesn't know about the current plot in X-23, and hasn't read the background info on Hellion. Were his writers to review his appearances throughout the years, even from a Wiki site, they would probably take a different tone when depicting him. At the very least I'd like to see some explanation as to why he's bullying people again, example his state of mind when starting the encounter. This is what constitutes a great read for me, for any character: not just jumping into scenes, but setting them up a little.

Gawdzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Gawdzilla

@k2 said:

I disagree. I'm able to laugh at my favorite characters, sure; if I look at it from a non-fan view, sure it's funny. But I'm still upset at seeing him reduced to being a bully, with no explanation given. He'd moved beyond that in the Kyle & Yost days. And the 'girls' comment; sure, he could be a regular teenaged boy, and yes perhaps he could do that while still being interested in someone else; but what happened to the explanation he gave Prodigy in X-men Regenesis (the one-shot)? He told David he wanted a chance to go to school again, to a place where he needn't sacrifice himself for homework assignments. Those stances conflict. Yeah sure, maybe they just threw him in the make the first WatXM funny, and that I wouldn't be annoyed with. But is this how Aaron is going to continue to portray Hellion? I hope not, because he's a great character that deserves some decent portrayals, even if he doesn't get center stage.

@Kairan1979 said:

@Gawdzilla:

Perhaps, but I doubt it. Most writers don't seem to read the other comics to find out what's going on. I'm not familiar with Aaron's research level about his characters so I can't say for sure, but I'll hazard a guess that he doesn't know about the current plot in X-23, and hasn't read the background info on Hellion. Were his writers to review his appearances throughout the years, even from a Wiki site, they would probably take a different tone when depicting him. At the very least I'd like to see some explanation as to why he's bullying people again, example his state of mind when starting the encounter. This is what constitutes a great read for me, for any character: not just jumping into scenes, but setting them up a little.

1st Part: I think your looking a little too deep. Yes Hellion's reasoning for going East changed between the two issues, and it does come off very awkwardly...but whose to say both reasons can't be true? And I think the whole scene was just to comically introduce the new idea of the Danger Room.

2nd Part: Jason Aaron knows his shit. As for knowing what's going on with X-23, you might be surprised to know but he's told fans on CBR that he has a really good working relationship/friendship with Marjorie Liu due to them both writing Wolverine books.

3rd Part: Plain and simple. Hellion doesn't believe that Broo is a real mutant, and you know how Pro-mutant he is. And besides I half expect Broo to save his ass in an arc or the next issue and they become besties and Hellion can ditch Glob.

Mr. Mercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Mr. Mercury

I don't know if it's lack of research or if he wanted him to fill the bully role. I'll wait and see, but I hope it's neither one of those.

rokusan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rokusan23

I guess when you've been following a character... Seen them through so much issues and stuff. See them develop... then suddenly see them regress... Well... it is kind of annoying (._. ) But... well... meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- The whole tone of the book (Wolverine and the X-Men) is silly so I would not take much of what goes on in it seriously, characters will be written to act to fit the tone, not what they normally would do

Avatar image for deactivated-5edc72068d57d
    deactivated-5edc72068d57d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@John Valentine:

Regression? He never stopped being a Jerk. Man, Talk about Draco in Leather pants syndrome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edc72068d57d
    deactivated-5edc72068d57d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@k2:

Except Julian hasn't really matured, he has been a jerk for that past couple of years. As for flirting with other girls, he isn't actually seeing Laura and she dumped his butt recently anyway.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By xerox_kitty

He appeared briefly for 2 reasons:

1. Comic effect, while watching him & Glob suffer the effects of the new 'Danger Room' environment; and
    2. To point out "Professor" Pryde's personal bias against one of her students.

It had nothing to do with his romantic liaisons or the badly-written adventures in X-23's ongoing series.

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By snyderman567

@k2 said:

@Kairan1979 said:

@Gawdzilla:

Sigh

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By John Valentine

@snyderman567 said:

@k2 said:

@Kairan1979 said:

@Gawdzilla:

Sigh

Evidently enough people to comment on a thread about it.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By k2

@snyderman567 said:

@k2 said:

@Kairan1979 said:

@Gawdzilla:

Sigh

And again I must ask why you are posting in this thread? If you don't care....*DON'T READ IT*. This is a forum for discussing nitty-gritty details about our favorite characters. Your trolling is having no effect but to waste space and cause mild confusion as to your purpose.

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By snyderman567

@k2: Your cry babying habit is having no effect but to waste space.

k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k2

@snyderman567 said:

Great, more playground insults...instead of valid topic discussion.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Mercy_

@snyderman567 said:

@k2 said:

@Kairan1979 said:

@Gawdzilla:

Sigh

Obviously you do if you're taking the time to respond to it.

@snyderman567 said:

And your pedantic insults even more so.

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By snyderman567

@Mercy_ said:

@snyderman567 said:

@k2 said:

@Kairan1979 said:

@Gawdzilla:

Sigh

Obviously you do if you're taking the time to respond to it.

@snyderman567 said:

And your pedantic insults even more so.

kiss my anus

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mercy_

@snyderman567: Watch how you speak to people. That's your final warning.

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By snyderman567

@Mercy_ said:

@snyderman567: Watch how you speak to people. That's your final warning.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.