Follow

H'el on Earth

Story arc »

A New 52 Superman crossover where Superman, Superboy and Supergirl go head to head with a powerful Kryptonian being known as H'el.

Off My Mind: What's Going on With H'el's Chest Symbol?

• 69 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Last week we took a look at a new nemesis for the Man of Steel who calls himself H'el. In the current H'el on Earth story arc, we're seeing Superman, Supergirl and Superboy deal with an individual that claims to be from Krypton and is completely loyal to the House of El. He wants to bring Krypton back and has shared this plan with Supergirl. He has also pointed out that Superboy is a clone and an abomination while Superman has turned his back on his Kryptonian heritage by living as an Earthling.

No Caption Provided

In his first appearances in SUPERBOY #0, SUPERMAN #13 and SUPERBOY #14, H'el had an inverted Superman/House of El symbol inverted on his chest. He even had it on the cover of SUPERGIRL #14. Yet in the pages of SUPERGIRL when he approaches her, he doesn't have the symbol. Is there a reason for this or could there have been a decision to remove the image?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

It's been suspected that originally H'el was meant to be a New 52 update of Bizarro. That would explain the backwards symbol. Some have suspected that either we're seeing some artistic goofs or DC simply wants to have the symbol go away to distance H'el from the notion of Bizarro. This clearly isn't the case. There is a reason we're sometimes seeing it and others times it's gone.

No Caption Provided

It was in the pages of SUPERGIRL #14 that sheds a little light on the matter. H'el first surprises Kara during their first encounter. He transported her to the sun and comes up behind her. He doesn't have the symbol on his chest but her immediate reaction is to strike him at full force. When she hits him in the chest, you can see a glimpse of the symbol. Kara was unable to hurt H'el and as he explains who he is and what his mission is, he looks down at his chest, almost as if he's checking to see that the symbol isn't showing.

No Caption Provided

What does this mean?

No Caption Provided

We know he's doing his best to turn Kara against Superman and Superboy. He's making sure she doesn't see the symbol on his chest. She is the only one that could recognize any possible meaning since she actually grew up on Krypton.

H'el claims to be an explorer sent to the stars by Jor-El. He told Kara that Jor-El was his teacher, mentor and practically a father to him. Before the Krypton's destruction, Jor-El sent him away to safeguard their science on his ship. This seems like a lie. Didn't Jor-El only have one ship and that was used to send Kal-El to safety?

Having the symbol carved onto his skin backwards has to have a darker meaning. If Kara were to see it, she'd immediately know H'el was full of lies. There must be some Kryptonian symbolism in the crest being backwards. Kara should have questioned the fact that he claims his name is "H'el" when he also told her right away that he doesn't share the "blood" of her family. So how could his name contain "El"?

Of course there could be a completely different reason he doesn't want Kara to see his scar. Maybe he's really interested in trying to bring Kryptonians back the old fashioned way…

Whoever H'el is, he does have a great deal of knowledge of Krypton. It could somehow be possible that he actually is Kryptonian. Superman would have some way to detect if he actually had Kryptonian DNA or not. Having H'el sent out into space by Jor-El seems like a bit of a stretch but then again, you never can tell exactly what Jor-El may or may not have done before Krypton's destruction. We'll have to wait for the story to continue to unfold. We should all pay close attention to when he does and doesn't show his scar in order to try to uncover the reason he keeps hiding it.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By TDK_1997

I think that we will see in the fiture how the symbol is put on his chest.He may get marked by Supergirl or Superboy when they defeat him.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I thought it was backwards because he used his laser vision to draw it on while he was looking down, therefore it would be backwards, or he used a mirror to bounce the laser off

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sammo21

Are they going to turn him into new 52 Bizarro?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#4  Edited By cbishop

It sounds like H'el has an awful lot of the elements of Brainiac's story, from when DC started linking his origin to Krypton. Could he be a New 52 stand-in for that version of Brainiac, or even Brainiac in disguise?

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By evilvegeta74

@cbishop said:

It sounds like H'el has an awful lot of the elements of Brainiac's story, from when DC started linking his origin to Krypton. Could he be a New 52 stand-in for that version of Brainiac, or even Brainiac in disguise?

I thinking along those lines as well.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By fodigg

I just assumed he was the new 52 version of Bizzaro, or more likely, of Match. My guess is he's a clone himself, of kyrptonian origin.

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AskaniSon295

Superman's older brother named Hal'el who left Krypton in a Prototype of the rocket that brought Kal'el to Earth it was most likely rescued by Tomar Re Green Lantern of the Sector. After a short stint in the Green Lantern Corps Hal'el was most likey possessd by a Daemonite and became H'el. It's just my theory.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By modunhanul

I don't hate H'el, but I kinda miss Bizarro.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#9  Edited By Cavemold

i thought it was editorial mistake. not quite sure what the deal is

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By doordoor123

@Sammo21 said:

Are they going to turn him into new 52 Bizarro?

Originally Lobdell planned on H'el being the New 52 Bizarro, but DC told him that they liked the idea of H'el being a separate character.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By TheCrowbar

He's a hallucination.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By GothamRed

Supergirl just gave H'el the kryptonian purple nurple

Maudeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maudeep

No Caption Provided
    Kesho_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Kesho_Ronin

The chest S symbol is also mising in superboy #15

yeah,i also I think something like that

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@modunhanul said:

I don't hate H'el, but I kinda miss Bizarro.

Same here. Well I miss Bizarro a lot, he's my favorite Superman and just general DC villain.

Avatar image for mister_sensational
    Mister_Sensational

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74 said:

@cbishop said:

You guys must not have read the first story arc of Action Comics because it is there that you'll find the answers to your "Brianiac in the New 52" questions. I personally believe this is a classic case of a writer having a great idea for a character (i.e. Bizarro) and the powers that be saying "Nope, you can't do that with Bizarro."

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By _jackbauer

I believe that H'El is either a Kryptonian-made (or alien-made) clone of Superman who was created prior to Krypton exploding (in the case of him being a Kryptonian-made clone) or shortly after it's destruction (If he's a non-kryptonian and non-man made clone. I think he hates Superboy because Superboy is also a clone, albeit a man made clone, of Supes. Just my two cents.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabat
    Shallbecomeabat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shallbecomeabat

I haveto admit that I really like the design of H'el. I hope he gets to be a mayor superman villain in the coming years. Big Blue has not enough great villains.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I'm pretty sure that he's able to make it appear that he doesn't have it, since it seems that he has some telekinetic powers.. He's doing it in order to appear more trustworthy. As to his true origins, I'm very excited to find out more :)

TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By TheCerealKillz

Kinda said the title wasn't "What the He`l's Chest?"

Nheritor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nheritor

@_jackbauer: maybe he is the missing world-killer that Reign was telling Supergirl about.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dondave

@AskaniSon295 said:

Superman's older brother named Hal'el who left Krypton in a Prototype of the rocket that brought Kal'el to Earth it was most likely rescued by Tomar Re Green Lantern of the Sector. After a short stint in the Green Lantern Corps Hal'el was most likey possessd by a Daemonite and became H'el. It's just my theory.

I actually like that

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By krspaceT

@dondave said:

@AskaniSon295 said:

I actually like that

That's actually a pretty good idea: Helspont was mentioned in Supes 13, and I have the oddest feeling this might tie into Trinity War

The solicits for the next Superboy part don't mention Aquaman....and if Supergirl is still tricked by H'El, perhaps some heroes want her to pay the price for aiding H'El?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe H'el is super evolved Beppo ?

Shieldbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shieldbearer

Being a member of a House can extend the family name to you. It implies ownership to the household and attribute special priveledges.

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By doombot890

Dooms theory!

the S symbol is a Kryptonian glif for the house EL

maybe if it is in reverse it could mean something like down with the House of EL?

H'el could be devoted to bringing an end to the house of el.....and wants to re create Krypton in his own image with the help of Kara?

and seeing as she is the only one who grew up on krypton she would know all the dialects and slang (and history) that you cant learn from a text book.

my other theory is that he is some sort of creation of JorEl's that went wrong...or he is the Eradicator but instead of it protecting Clark its here to protect kara

DOOM OUT!x

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Azrael66

I would love if his name is actually discovered to be Hal'el and that he simply used some derivation of the Earth word 'hell' to inspire fear during his visit.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    What if his mark on his chest is a scar the House of El put on traitors?  (+)
    Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spideycap

I think he actually has a vendetta against Kryptonians and the house of El. He probably feels like Jor El screwed him over on purpose.After all, his rocket barreled through stars and black holes, while Kal's made it to Earth with no problem. The symbol probably was self inflicted as a mark of his vengeance against the hosue of El.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Icon

Fascinating.

JayJayCAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By JayJayCAW

lol I actually wrote a little bit about the lack of his "S" symbol on H'EL's page :P still wondering whats up with it myself :S

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SandMan_

Brolly

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kid Apollo

new52 Superboy Prime?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe H'el is Jor El's old robot housemaid ? The back of the chest symbol maybe says : if found, please return to Jor El and Lara of Kryptonopolis.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DanialCarroll

My question is: Why does his name have an apostrophe rather than a hyphen? Does that have some meaning?

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sovereign91001

@Kal'smahboi said:

I'm pretty sure that he's able to make it appear that he doesn't have it, since it seems that he has some telekinetic powers.. He's doing it in order to appear more trustworthy. As to his true origins, I'm very excited to find out more :)

This is more or less what I thought, he has psychic powers, he's already been able to alter his perception of himself to Kara, there is nothing saying he isn't pulling a similar trick on Superman, Superboy and Supergirl to hide the backwards crest.

namtabmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By namtabmi

I hope he is just hiding it from supergirl to get her "on side".

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I'm betting he's a New 52 version of the Eradicator. That would be cooler than Bizarro.

JayJayCAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By JayJayCAW
    @colonyofcells said:
    Maybe H'el is Jor El's old robot housemaid ? The back of the chest symbol maybe says : if found, please return to Jor El and Lara of Kryptonopolis.
    H'EL: Oh Mista Jay, they found me they did
    George Jetson: who the hell are you?

lol sorry I had to do that, when you said robot housemaid, first thing that popped into my head :P
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Such a boring looking character.... But totally isn't.

Apis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#41  Edited By Apis

Citizen of Kandor augmented and brainwashed by Brainiac to destroy Superman and claim the Fortress.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By colonyofcells

An apostrophe on foreign words usually means some special pronunciation. If H'el is an El, his complete name would be H'el-El. As for the chest symbol, maybe it means H'el was manufactured in Jor-El's family business toy company H'asbro.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

My money is on H'el being New 52's upgraded Doomsday. But that's just my opinion.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ssejllenrad

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

My money is on H'el being New 52's upgraded Doomsday. But that's just my opinion.

If this is so then who killed Superman in the New 52?

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DarkDay

@cbishop said:

Also thought this.

RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad: Great question and of course its interesting to wonder who might have if it wasn't Doomsday. I just have this suspicion that its Doomsday because he seems like he would be the Fifth of the Worldkillers that was rumored to exist in the pages of Supergirl. Far-fetched and all but who knows? If New 52 has taught us anything its that what we thought we once knew is no longer the case.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ssejllenrad

@RedheadedAtrocitus: I wish Darkseid killed Supes. That's just me. Hehe!

RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad: That would be one of the few GOOD decisions DC would make in New 52 if they went that route. Seriously, that would just be AWESOME!

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FanofUltraman

He'll cut himself in space prison.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#50  Edited By cbishop

@Mister_Sensational said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

@cbishop said:

You guys must not have read the first story arc of Action Comics because it is there that you'll find the answers to your "Brianiac in the New 52" questions. I personally believe this is a classic case of a writer having a great idea for a character (i.e. Bizarro) and the powers that be saying "Nope, you can't do that with Bizarro."

You are correct: I did not read the first story arc. A couple of people have already suggested this, but maybe then he is a New 52 Eradicator?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.