Follow

Hawkeye

Character » Hawkeye appears in 4817 issues.

Trained by criminals and inspired by heroes, Clint Barton has grown from a troubled youth into one of the greatest heroes on Earth. The world knows him best as Hawkeye: Earth's Mightiest Marksman. A member of the Avengers for many years, he has left the team on occasion because of team friction. But he always returns, ready to face any threat.

Does Kate Bishop have a crush on Clint Barton (and/or vice versa)?

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BaBaBoom

I haven't exactly followed the Hawkeye solo series on a monthly basis but I have recently purchased and read the first volume of the Hawkeye paperback. So, if there are any developments past issue #5 I wouldn't know anything about it.

As I was reading the book I came upon this page:

No Caption Provided

Clint asks Kate for assistance but she keeps on asking, "Why me?" In return, Clint replies with different answers but none pleased her.

No Caption Provided

Being as experienced with women as Clint is, he probably figured out what Kate wanted to hear and quickly stopped her questions by cutting her off and saying, "Because I don't want to sleep with you?" As shown in the seventh panel of the image above, Kate immediately got mad as if disappointed with his response then just as fast deflected it with humor. Afterwards after a little heart-to-heart Kate agrees to help Clint but at the end of the page this is shown:

No Caption Provided

It could be argued that the captions that appeared in these last two panels are Clint's thoughts and not Kate's own. Though, because the captions are placed on a panel with only Kate in it means that whatever is written in the caption also applies to her whether it's from Clint or not.

In my experience with other comics, other mediums and real life, Kate's upset and disappointed look on her face indicate that she is greatly saddened when Clint said, "Because I don't want to sleep with you?" Adding "Dummy" right after is a way to insult someone that hurt your feelings (just to ease the pain) something that most, if not all, do.

Kate isn't so subtle in hiding her attraction, however, as shown in this picture:

No Caption Provided

Which registered as "Bad idea four" but, he is most likely referring to Kate driving. Or is he?

The way Kate always hangs out with Clint is also peaks my interest. Joining him in social occasions such as his rooftop barbecues with the tenants of his building.

No Caption Provided

She has other friends and, not to mention, extremely rich, why does she choose to hang out with him?

A little later Clint gets kidnapped by SHIELD right from where he is standing. Which resulted into Kate waiting in his apartment until three in the morning, as shown below:

No Caption Provided

And who can forget about this little escapade in Madripoor?

No Caption Provided

Nothing truly awkward is happening here until I found out that Madame Masque is really ...

No Caption Provided

... Kate Bishop in disguise.

While reading this, the main thing that came to my mind is that the real Madame Masque would probably get one of her henchmen to get the credit card for her and relieve herself of the shame of doing that particular dirty work.

This image below also hints on a possible romance:

No Caption Provided

Hand-on-hand, an effective way of saying admiration and, possibly, love through a picture. Especially if the other is in bed sick and/or injured.

No Caption Provided

P. S.

Some might say that Kate Bishop is way too young/underage for Clint Barton. I say, by the time of the first issue of the new Young Avengers series, Kate is already eighteen-years-old (or seventeen turning eighteen soon) because the theme of the current is no longer about a group of sixteen-year-olds wanting to be an adult but eighteen-year-olds experiencing the first stage of being an adult (in the case of Noh-Varr early twenties?). So, she is too young but, not young enough that it would be fiendish or illegal.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By csguterres

I think they both like each other. In the first issue, in the captions Clint thinks "she is perfect" like all the time.

Except maybe Mockingbid, Clint shows that he cares about Kate much more than any other woman, like Jessica Drew, Moonstone and Black Widow.

And Kate's relationship with Marvel Boy in Young Avengers is completely gratuitous so far, although Gillen is great writing other characters (especially Kid Loki, Wiccan and Hulkling) I hate his take on Kate. Reading Hawkeye, it's clear that Kate has very deep feelings for Clint.

That said, I can antecipate a lot of people saying "It's creepy". While I agree that an older man taking advantage of a younger girl is creepy and disgusting, this isn't the case. Clint really cares about Kate (and vice versa), so it's not creepy at all.

But to people, it doens't matter the characters interaction, every single case of related people in a relationship (like Black Bolt and Medusa - cousins - and Ultimate Pietro and Wanda - siblings) and older/younger (like Clint and Kate) is creepy. But for the very same people, gay relationships are cool and normal, so who knows how they judge between "creepy" and "normal"

NovaRichRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

does Pizzadog makes this a love triangle

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BaBaBoom

@csguterres: I see Kate's relationship with Marvel Boy as nothing more than a simple physical attraction with no love involved (at least not yet). I also like how they showed that Marvel Boy actually disliked Clint, or just not very fond of him. There could be a possible rivalry between the two in the future.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

"They won't f**k, and the dog won't die." -Matt Fraction

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KnightRise

I love their relationship.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

"They won't f**k, and the dog won't die." -Matt Fraction

Really? Spoiler alert! Might as well drop the book now. :3

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read the latest tpb, they should really be together... Katie-Kate DUMP NOH-VARR NOW!! I know you're just trying to ease the pain with sex!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.