zack_freeman's Hawkeye: Blind Spot #1 - Sight Unseen review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
  • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Hawkeye: Blindspot #1

Short of losing Mockingbird again, what's the worst thing that could happen to Hawkeye? How about losing his vision?

The Good

Superheroes so often suffer harsh battlefield injuries without cost, I think a story focusing on Hawkeye possibly losing his sight due to a concussion is both long overdue and also ripe for some tragic drama. Diaz's art is also fantastic, thanks in great part to Morey's more analog-style coloring. There's a real weight and texture to the pages, making even Clint's medical consultation scenes feel dynamic.

The Bad

I like the present portions, but the narration used for the flashbacks seemed both a bit unclear and also out of Hawkeye's voice. And I hate to be nit-picky, but there was typo in the recap page - - "...[she] recruited Hawkeye to partner with her romantically and tackling international threats." - -  that was mangled enough that I needed to reread it several times to understand what was meant.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

I guess this is supposed to be another installment of the unofficial continuation of Hawkeye & Mockingbird. While I miss Bobbie's presence, it's a deft, active showcase for Clint. Though I don't know why he's on this specific villain's bad list - - said foe belongs more to Captain America - - I'm eager to see this mystery of old enemies and slipping sanity unfold further.