MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

Comics without words -- or without many words -- are kind of a gamble. There's extra pressure on the art team to convey story without relying on verbal cues, and there's a big risk of readers missing the point. Comics told from an unconventional point of view -- like, say, a dog's -- are also kind of a gamble. There's a risk of cheesiness, of disruption from the usual series format, and of muddled storytelling. HAWKEYE #11 put it all on red, and won out on both of these. Where Pizza Dog is going, he doesn't need words.

David Aja is blowing my mind a little bit with his range. I've always enjoyed the art on HAWKEYE, but this issue took things to the next level. Pizza Dog's communication is almost clearer than words in its simplicity, and it's fascinating how well the story itself and incidental details are conveyed via symbols. The symbolic style is a great pairing with the book's flat colors; it feels completely in-place. I'm also delighted by how well Aja captures Pizza Dog's mannerisms; the facial expressions, ear perks, pizza distractions, and body positioning are so spot-on. (If he isn't a dog owner, I will be positively floored.)

Matt Fraction gets major kudos for giving up the verbal reins in this issue. He scripted this perfectly, and opted for only the most deliberate use of words. It's a great way to show off some really important developments in Clint's/Kate's arc, and what could easily have been a quirky Pizza Dog tale is actually one of the more critical pieces in the HAWKEYE story so far.

The Bad

I tried. I can't think of anything I don't like about this issue. (Except maybe that missing state line between Missouri and Iowa, but my goodness, that's nitpicky, and I'm not entirely sure it wasn't intentional.)

The Verdict

It's rare that I'll throw down the "best issue of the series" label so early in a series (I mean, how do I know that Fraction and Aja aren't just going to prove me wrong with Issue #12?), but oh my, this issue was incredible. It's not just the schtick of using the dog's POV, and it's not just the minimal-words thing; it's both of those, done well, and paired with truly expressive storytelling. There are so many ways this issue could have been cheesy and weird, but instead of making the Pizza Dog issue a one-off novelty, it's a fully-realized (and important) part of the ongoing arc.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#1  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Hawkguy neva disappoints!!!!!! Bro.

NovaRichRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kate Bishop>Pizzadog>Hawkguy

MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kate Bishop is my favorite.

Daredevilnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Daredevilnut

I'm so excited for this issue!!!!!!!! Hawkguy rules them all!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@missj: This book never disappoints.

Great review btw.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This was fun. Between this and FF, Matt Fraction's work is what I look forward to most every month. He's blessed with outstanding artists in both books: Aja's work here in particular is fantastic. It's always so cool when artists are willing to break free of the standard comic book tropes. This issue was half iconography and plan drawings. Love it.

Mutie199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

this is one of the best comic book issues i have read in the last months. thumbs up to the creative team for delivering such an awesome issue. P.S. Pizza Dog is the best

stevencarver_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been thinking for a while about which current ongoing is my favorite and it's always been between Batman and Hawkeye. It also switches depending on which one I read last, so for a least a few more weeks, Hawkeye is my super favorite book. This issue was just perfect.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I`m usually a bit of a lazy comic book reader, glancing at the pages, but this issue had me studying every singel panel for awesome little details. Really appreciated it!

Avatar image for theimmortalbeaver
    TheImmortalBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue! Now if somebody could just explain what happened in this issue (and in the last two) I'd be happy. Seriously. This series hurts my brain.

VinnyWeapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VinnyWeapons

I haven't been following the characters in this series, do Kate and Clint have a strictly mentor/student relationship, or is there some sort of history there? Maybe I should check out the back catalogue...

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Pizza dog!

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 owie  Moderator

This was really genius. Pitch perfect.

Although I don't understand why the Bros took the dog back with them after he attacked them. Unless that was a flashback. But it didn't seem like it.

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By skyjumpermike

Simply an amazing issue. Flawless execution of a great concept. Love the Aja/Fraction team.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

My favorite part was the creative team credits on the cover were listed as Ruff, Ruff, Ruff. I laughed so hard.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been following the characters in this series, do Kate and Clint have a strictly mentor/student relationship, or is there some sort of history there? Maybe I should check out the back catalogue...

It's supposed to be Mentor/Student relationship but... It's Clint, so there's a bit of tension.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I've seen this style of story before. It was executed well but it isn't as amazing as people are making it out to be. Definitely not the best issue of the series.

XSpectreGreyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By XSpectreGreyX

I honestly didn't think this issue was that great. Its placement is weird, as it feels too Slice of Life in comparison to the last issue. Also, I'd like to know the full details of what happened with Clint and Kate. I think it deserves that attention. That said, this issue was an interesting way to go, and I do still like that it tries to be different. It sends off Pizza Dog in a nice way, shows that he does his own thing and I'm interested to see if he and Kate get up to anything. It would be nice if the events surrounding Kate parting ways with Clint is elaborated upon though. I'd like to know exactly what was said.

Still, it's a good issue.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sparty-dbq

Half this issue looks like IKEA instructions, and it's STILL awesome!

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. I'm still sad about Grills.

Avatar image for doing_wrong_so_nicely
    Doing_Wrong_So_Nicely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: I caught that after reading the issue. Very funny indeed!

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xspectregreyx: I have no doubt that number 12 will be the this comic from Clint/Kate's point of view.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By CommanderShiro

This was such a great issue. Loved the concept of it.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:

This was really genius. Pitch perfect.

Although I don't understand why the Bros took the dog back with them after he attacked them. Unless that was a flashback. But it didn't seem like it.

This! I'm glad it wasn't just me. Loved the issue (and this is my favorite book) but that part just lost me. Why was he suddenly sleeping on the floor with the guys he was just fighting in the room?

Bokkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bokkie

It wasnt really a read, but damn just looking at pictures was never so good.

Pizza dog ftw !

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

wait..does this mean no more pizza dog?!

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfuzzynutz: I believe every other comic will focus on Kate. Aja will be drawing the Hawkeye issues and someone else will be drawing the Kate issues. So you should see Pizza Dog in the Kate issues.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By reignmaker

I love how much experimentation we see in this series. Most of it connects, so it makes for a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately I do feel the story has suffered a bit with two experimental issues back to back.

Let's see, the story has pretty much been at a standstill since issue #9. We've seen relatively little movement in the plot at all. All this setup makes me think this new clown dude should play a significant role in this series. If Hawkeye simply beats him in a single issue, I'm going to feel a little shafted.

That being said, I also miss the brisk pace that this series used to have in the early issues. What happened to the 1-issue, 2-issue format that Fraction said he was going with?

Lastly, I really hope Kate isn't gone for good. She's one of the main reasons I like this book. And it's not like there's a lot of supporting characters here.

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Agent_Prince

I'm sorry, but I keep trying this book, month to month, and it's average at best. Hawkeye is not an interesting character at all, IMO. Let the dog have his own book, it's better than the rest. Coming off the pull list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

This issue did nothing for me. In fact, the 2nd volume of this series (collected in trade) didn't even feel complete.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.