Follow

Harley Quinn

Character » Harley Quinn appears in 2585 issues.

Harleen Quinzel was a psychiatric resident at Arkham Asylum, where she met the incarcerated Joker. Falling in love with her patient, she conspired to break him out of prison and eventually became his lover and loyal sidekick, Harley Quinn. She eventually left him to be her own woman, and has been enemy and ally of Batman, and various other heroes.

Tortured into being the Joker's accomplice?

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    manipulated in the cartoon origin
    manipulated in the cartoon origin

With the story of Harley Quinn being shown in extreme and dark detail, how she wasn't just a woman Joker manipulated but a woman Joker tortured into becoming his follower, does this make her a tragic character now? More sympathetic and sad? A woman who developed Stockholm syndrome for her captor Joker? A battered woman who chose to stay with her abuser/attacker rather than fight to get away?

Tortured into being the Joker's accomplice?

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dr_Harlequin

Her first origin already made her a tragic character. She became obsessed with him and couldn't stand Batman beating him up all the time. She ended up falling in love with him and broke him out thinking he cared about her enough to be intimate with her.

If they skip the love part and replace it with brainwash, then I can't say I will like that. It depends on how they do it, I guess.

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to be curious how her character develops through the movie. Is she going to have more of an individual personality like she does in the comics, or is she going to be primarily joker's underling. It sounds like they plan on using the character in more than one film assuming she's successful. So my question is to what end. Just as the joker's pawn, or will she have a more individual personality to her.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I hope that this isnt the case and its just their version of floorplay.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    No Caption Provided

Another possibility is that during this prison riot Joker's doctor Dr. Quinzel is attacked and the Joker steps in and saves her. And maybe when Joker says in that scene "I'm not going to kill you, I am going to hurt you a lot." He is talking to one of the criminals who was hurting Harley.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rpgesus

Well the movie looks pretty poo filled so wouldn't doubt it

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogueshadow  Moderator

We haven't seen enough yet. It's entirely possible that she is responsible for Joker's escape in the first place because she falls 'in love' with him. She intends to be with him, then gets more than she bargained for when he tells her than to be with him she has to let go of silly little hings like sanity and tortures her into madness. The torture may just be the last step and she is already obsessed with him.

I think the film looks pretty awesome by the way...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

No Caption Provided

Another possibility is that during this prison riot Joker's doctor Dr. Quinzel is attacked and the Joker steps in and saves her. And maybe when Joker says in that scene "I'm not going to kill you, I am going to hurt you a lot." He is talking to one of the criminals who was hurting Harley.

I could see it playing out the other way around:

There is a riot and Quinzel is attacked by one of the other inmates who straps her down, and then her patient the Joker appears and kills the assailant. For a brief moment Quinzel thinks she's save because she thinks she's really bonded with the Joker... and then he just continues where the original attacker left off.

But you are right that the option exists that he is talking to someone else in that shot. Could be a closer where we sort of say farewell to the bad guy or even Waller.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.