Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Hank Pym NOT a Wife beater?!

Darknom2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Darknom2

Avengers #213,  written by Jim Shooter and penciled by Bob Hall -  
    Hank Pym AKA Ant-Man AKA Giant-Man AKA Goliath AKA Yellowjacket AKA The Wasp...Get's mad and  slaps his wife -  Janet Van Dyne aka The Wasp. 
    It was a giant event (get it? giant?...) and changed Hank's life forever 

No Caption Provided
    But on   Tuesday, March 29, 2011, Jim says   on his blog -    
    "There is a scene in which Hank is supposed to have accidentally struck Jan while throwing his hands up in despair and frustration—making a sort of “get away from me” gesture while not looking at her. Bob Hall, who had been taught by John Buscema to always go for the most extreme action, turned that into a right cross! There was no time to have it redrawn, which, to this day has caused the tragic story of Hank Pym to be known as the “wife-beater” story  " 

He lived life trying to fix his mistake    
    Hank slap his wife . Ultimate Hank Kicked her ass
    Hank slap his wife . Ultimate Hank Kicked her ass
    Hank said he and Janet  decided not to have kids because of his mental health.  
    He opend a safe house for beat womens in Janet's name
    All this for crime crime he didn't commit or wasn't suppose to commit. 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

I didn't know that was the origin of this famous scene. 

But the important thing for his character is that he did do it & that writers have stuck with it (instead of taking the easy option of retconning it).  Even to this day he still reels from the ramifications of his actions in the past.  An accidental story turned in to more depth of character.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Hank Pym is one of my favourite Marvel characters, and I think that moment of immense weakness, which he has worked his entire life to atone, really shows who he is as a person. The amount of times Reed has hit Sue and alike has been overlooked, but Hank always owned up to his action and he lives with it every day of his life. 

Whether it was intended or not, it's an important part of his history, and it shouldn't be forgotten, though it shouldn't it be his defining moment either.

Avatar image for aussiebushwacker
    aussiebushwacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By aussiebushwacker

interesting good that they stuck makes their stories far more intriguing. they could have ended up very bland characters. this helped to cement more depth. this can be shown for their weaknesses and their strenght to deal with it.
    ir0neagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ir0neagle

It's unfortunate that he's been branded with this image but hey it's made him a better character for it. People always jump to it saying Pym's a wife beater but there's so much more to him than that, I think it's great that the writers stuck by it and gave him depth.  

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Aronmorales

Wow, I never knew...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Pretty much every character has slapped or hit their significant other at some point.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#7  Edited By AssertingValor

I dont think hank has a jerk inside him to be a wife beater..........................................

Jan is pretty annoying at times though, he may have lashed out..................................................

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

Why has Pym been branded with that title? People seem to forget that Reed beat Susan once:

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " Why has Pym been branded with that title? People seem to forget that Reed beat Susan once:

"
    Once?! Oh He laid the pimp hand down on multiple occasions. Though this panel is often taken out of context. He was slapping her to awaken sue's genuine anger so that she could take control of her body back from Malice. On a side note Hickman must be one of the greatest writers of all time, because he's actually manage to make me not only a fan of the FF but I actually like Reed these days. Truly strange times we live in lol

@FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " Hank Pym is one of my favourite Marvel characters, and I think that moment of immense weakness, which he has worked his entire life to atone, really shows who he is as a person. The amount of times Reed has hit Sue and alike has been overlooked, but Hank always owned up to his action and he lives with it every day of his life.   Whether it was intended or not, it's an important part of his history, and it shouldn't be forgotten, though it shouldn't it be his defining moment either. "
    I know we talked about this in that worst comic book husbands blog I made and I gotta agree Pym get's a bad rap. Most of his actions can be attributed to his mental health issues. And as a guy who's considered having himself committed on more than one occasion I can truly sympathize with that. What I respect most about his character is that he's tried to make amends and has never (to my knowledge) used his mental issues as a crutch the shirk personal responsibilities for his actions. Sadly that slap will remain as his defining moment long after we're gone. But I think that writers sticking to that moment is a positive thing in a way. It's served as a catalyst to build the character that you love. On an unrelated note, I really love the way he's handled in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heros, great show. 
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @JonesDeini: He's superbly written in that show. I was really hoping they'd write him well, and they have not disappointed me at all. It's awesome.
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MethodMan008

Ultimate Hank Pym is awesome.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Caligula

Shoulda Kicked her in the mouth.

But also since when does a slap make you a "woman beater", if you are a woman and you think getting slapped is getting a beating... you have never received a beating.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Billy Batson
    @Caligula said:
    " Shoulda Kicked her in the mouth.But also since when does a slap make you a "woman beater", if you are a woman and you think getting slapped is getting a beating... you have never received a beating. "

amen

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Caligula said:
    " Shoulda Kicked her in the mouth.But also since when does a slap make you a "woman beater", if you are a woman and you think getting slapped is getting a beating... you have never received a beating. "
    lol
    Unwritten Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Unwritten Duck
    @Caligula: In a strange sense I slightly agree, but a man, under any circumstances should never hit/beat a woman just because he's angry or doesn't agree with her or whatever. Still if a "female" attacks me, don't expect me to stand there and take it, but that's a different situation altogether. 
    The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By The_Warlord
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " I didn't know that was the origin of this famous scene. 

But the important thing for his character is that he did do it & that writers have stuck with it (instead of taking the easy option of retconning it).  Even to this day he still reels from the ramifications of his actions in the past.  An accidental story turned in to more depth of character. "
    Exactly
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Billy Batson said:
    @Caligula said:

amen

Damn straight.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.