Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Why Hal Jordan is Awesome

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Edited By batmannflash

So continuing with my series "Why ___ is Awesome," I will write about Hal Jordan this time!

Here are reasons why I think he is awesome:

1. In Blackest Night and Brightest Day

I'm not talking about the story "Blackest Night," but rather the idea that Hal Jordan has been through really black nights. He witnessed Coast City's destruction. He has been host to both Parallax and the Spectre, distancing himself from his loved ones. Hal has been on and off with both Carol Ferris and as a Green Lantern. However, (*cue epic music*) he always rises above it all and has truly experienced really bright days! There is no denying that he always pushes through, every time showing why he deserves to be a Green Lantern and that even Parallax or the Spectre couldn't hold him forever. Coast City is representative of who Hal is. 7 million people killed in its destruction and was unwanted. But later, they were inspired by Jordan's willpower through adversity and allowed for him to redeem himself, choosing to stand up for their city. Coast City is the "City Without Fear."

No Caption Provided

2. Sinestro

No Caption Provided

Hal Jordan's long-time rivalry is no doubt one of the greatest rivalries in comics. The two started out as GL partners in crime but grew apart, due to Sinestro's questionable actions. For as long as I can remember, they've been at it, constantly competing, but sometimes even being allies. Despite Sinestro's arrogance, he has an underlying respect for the greatness of Hal Jordan. He said, "Hal Jordan--the greatest of all the Green Lanterns. The inspiration he left behind continues to grow bright. He was the spark that started an everlasting fire." He even said to someone, "I've seen men fall much farther into darkness and claw their way back up, but you...you're no Hal Jordan." It's a rivalry with great depth and that's something I love about Hal - that Sinestro is always clashing up against him.

No Caption Provided

3. Origin

Geoff John's origin on Hal Jordan in "Green Lantern: Secret Origin," makes Hal's origin one of my favorites ever in comics. Here you have a cocky test pilot who all of a sudden encounters a dying alien. This aliens hands him a mysterious ring, and at this very moment, greatness is thrust upon him. He wasn't born with incredibly powers but he is a man without fear, possessing the indomitable will to be great. Being a corps led by the Guardians, it is important that Hal is someone who disobeys authority without hesitation to do the right thing. It's a classic origin that makes him just a compelling character. The Green Lantern movie didn't exactly do a...nice job...

4. Green Lantern

I mean, this point applies to all Green Lanterns. The Green Lantern ring is such a cool weapon and makes for entertaining fights. As a GL, Hal is involved in the entire Lantern mythos, which Geoff Johns wonderfully expanded and crafted. There's the Sinestro Corps, Indigo Tribe, Star Sapphires, Orange Lantern, Blue Lanterns, Red Lanterns, and many great villains. Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern is a revolutionary one and Hal is often in the front of all this. Stories like Blackest Night, Sinestro Corps War, and so on make you appreciate Hal Jordan and the rest of the Lanterns.

5. Black Lantern Hal Jordan

Heck ya.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

6. Krona

He killed Krona! Even though the Guardians stated that it's impossible for anyone to have the will to kill a Guardian.

Amazing feat of will.

No Caption Provided

So as always, like what you see? Comment below! And check out my other blogs: Why ___ is Awesome

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Nice he is awesome!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Thanks for making this he is so awesome. I love Black Lantern Hal Jordan, I wish he stayed that way a little while.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By batmannflash

@ultrastarkiller: thanks!

@allstarsuperman said:

Thanks for making this he is so awesome. I love Black Lantern Hal Jordan, I wish he stayed that way a little while.

No problem! Black Lantern Hal was intense and too wish he was like that for awhile.

@strongarm said:

@batmannflash: don't forget this moment :)

No Caption Provided

haha even as a Batman fan, I like this moment. I think the feud between Batman and Hal is so great. Batman doesn't like Hal because he can't intimidate him like he does others. Hal is simply without fear. And Hal doesn't like Batman because he doesn't like his authority and he's never one to like being bossed around

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: sometime batman forgets one of the most important aspects of being a green lantern

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oceanmaster21

this is great and hal rules

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By batmannflash
    Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can't wait to see Hal and Sinestro fight on the big screen one day

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool thread. Always up to read about Hal love.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batmannflash
    Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

this was good. I like hal but kyle is still my favorite.DO kyle.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By batmannflash

@thefirstlantern: thanks! for me, it's:

1. Hal

2. John

3. Kyle

4. Guy

But I think all of them are great

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: I really like Guy in the red lanterns. Fits him more i think.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: I think so too. I like the direction the GLs are going right now.

Kyle is a White Lantern in "New Guardians," John has his title "Green Lantern Corps," Hal has the title "Green Lantern," and Guy has the Red Lanterns

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: I think so too. I like the direction the GLs are going right now.

Kyle is a White Lantern in "New Guardians," John has his title "Green Lantern Corps," Hal has the title "Green Lantern," and Guy has the Red Lanterns

Yeah they each have their own book which is great. More development.

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Hal! he is my favorite DC hero

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RustyRoy

@batmannflash said:

@strongarm said:

@batmannflash: don't forget this moment :)

No Caption Provided

haha even as a Batman fan, I like this moment. I think the feud between Batman and Hal is so great. Batman doesn't like Hal because he can't intimidate him like he does others. Hal is simply without fear. And Hal doesn't like Batman because he doesn't like his authority and he's never one to like being bossed around

Always hated that moment, and come on man, WW and MM don't get intimidated by Batman either, he doesn't hate them. Anyways nice blog.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal would definitely be the most awesome GL

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.