Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Movie Review: Green Lantern Fails to Shine Brightly

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By MTHarman

I would prefer watching this film as a family man rather than comic-fan who has a checklist of ridiculous expectations. 

MrSeaman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By MrSeaman70

Bring Samuel L Jackson on board as John Stewart - Green Lantern in the sequel and all would be right as rain :)
    mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

popcorn cinema. it is a movie made to go in, enjoy it, or just take your mind off things, and get out and go back to life. its a green lantern movie, the green lantern universe is super complicated(hell, all of the DCU is) and they crammed everything into it. remember folks: they are making this movie for moviegoers, not necessarily for the comic fan. i am going to go see it with a smile on my face, but maybe the sequel will be more fleshed out. let us hope there is a sequel!!!!

soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By soundbite

the moment I heard Ryan Reynolds was cast for Hal Jordan, I knew it wasn't being taken seriously.  As a Green Lantern fan since the 70's and while I was in diapers, I just want to see it on the screen.  I don't have any expectations for this movie other than seeing 3-d rendersing of the 2-d character I have loved for the past 30+ years.
    armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By armylife1124

I wonder how well the 3-D is done?  Is it shot in 3D or post production or just the CGI parts in 3D....

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#106  Edited By pspin

I want to see it, I think it looks good. 

If you go see it, don't expect it to be exactly like the comics, comic fans aren't the only people the execs want to see in the theater. Everyone always complains that movies aren't faithful to the comics, no movie will ever be one hundred percent faithful, the movies are susposed to capture the SPIRIT of the comics, which is the important part. I am just happy that comics are getting exposure in the mainstream media. 
    Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#107  Edited By Darkmount1

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 
    WILL YOU ALL QUIT WHINING!!!!!!!!!! 

I want to see this movie, because it's probably the most COMIC BOOK of comic book movies we've had in several years. The heck with grounding them in realism, the stuff in movies ISN'T supposed to happen in real life, that's what's great about them! As long as this movie is a blockbuster, I'm happy. 

And hey, Bradley Cooper was originally supposed to be Hal. Would it have been any better?
    greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By greeneagle

No disrespect G-Man, but couldn't you have waited till after Friday before writing this. Nonetheless i will reserve judgement till i see it.  And if it ends up being a better movie than First Class, man am gonna give you hell for quiet a bit.

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By darth_brendroid

I'm now thinking that this might have been a better way to go for the movie: 

Someone mentioned Mongul, which might have been interesting. Hector Hammond could still have been there, but the plot is more Hal gets his ring and is mentored by Sinestro briefly, and sent back to Earth to collect Abin Sur's body so that it can be returned to his people or something. Maybe they have to deal with Hector Hammond briefly (like they deal with Scarecrow in TDK). That might be the first hour of the movie, and then they could go for the next hour or more is Hal being geared up/trained to deal with some kind of crisis (Mongul and Warworld), and the movie ends after that's solved. 

Second movie starts with Sinestro's fall and imprisonment, then continues with the Manhunters (maybe loosely adapting Cyborg Superman's destruction of Coast City nearer the end?), to set up the third film which could have been Hal becoming reckless and obsessive and trying to gain the power to restore Coast City (and then the Guardians release Sinestro as in the comics to deal with Hal). A bit of a sketchy idea, but from the sounds of it this movie never really left the 'sketchy idea' phase.

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By jcbart

X-Men: First Class percentage on Rotten Tomatoes: 87 
    Green Lantern percentage on Rotten Tomatoes: 21 

Knew this would be a lousy film. Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan? Blake Lively acting? No thank you.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By HexThis

I'm not familiar with the Green Lantern as much as I am other DC franchises but I think the real problem is that the movie was too generic.

Great power & great responsibility, big ogre-like monsters and thugs, a lead actor whose resume is a 6-pack, safe and inoffensive actress to take his lead, enough money spent on fricken CGI to support a small country. 

You need something different, there are so many superhero movies there needs to be a way to DISTINGUISH. Mix the genres up, have more than one hero, build an interesting dynamic, don't be afraid to make it a smart movie....things like that.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#112  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

That's really too bad. I was hoping SO much it would end up being good. Oh well, I'll see it anyway.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By cattlebattle

I figured this movie would blow, almost everything about it looks silly, especially the outfits, Why not just stick to the ones worn in the comics....oh well

The GL series Bruce Timms working on will probably be epic

Nev-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Nev-man

Once agin I read a review of yours that is incredibly negative and then you give a positive quantitative score. I'm baffled, surely a 1/5?

ziplizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ziplizard

I still want to see GL. Oh, and does anyone hate being able to see Hal's eyes through the mask as much as I do? It creeps me out.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#116  Edited By MrDirector786

I'm still going to see it even though it's not very good.

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#117  Edited By kartron

maybe christopher nolan would have done justice to this... well if only direction was the problem! by this review I see that there are more shortcomings. I was so looking forward to watch this movie. Now I am totally disappointed :(

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly wasnt expecting much of this movie...guess not all superhero movies can be the Dark Knight.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#119  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'll give it a watch.  GL is far from my favorite hero, and Matt Rorie seemed to be more forgiving of it over on Screened, so maybe I'll like it a lot better.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By isaac_clarke

I wonder who I should be raging at for !@#$ing this up? 
    @satanmode said:

Where's Nathan Fillion when I needs him (to be Green Lantern)?!?

The movie would have bombed no matter who was leading and considering a lot of reviews comment on Ryan being one of the highlights of the film, it's tough to see what difference his inclusion would have done. 

Plus he'd make a way better Hank Pym or Nathan Drake. =P

@King Quisling
    said:
    Wow, and they plan to do a sequel already? I'm going to see it for my own verdict but from everything I'm hearing 3/5 seems like the best it's gonna get.

Yeah to be honest I was suprised how high G-Man gave it, so far reviews I've read are floating between a 5/10 or lower.

@the creator
    said:
    This could be the kiss of death........................for GL films

I hope not. 
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#121  Edited By EganTheVile1
    @doordoor123 said:
    Knew it. I called it how many months ago? Or right! When this movie was first announced with Ryan Reynolds on it! So disappointing. Its going to feel uncomfortable to wear my Green Lantern clothing for a while.
    You would watch a movie because of Ryan Reynolds? Really? I watch movies in spite of him being in them not because of him.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#122  Edited By doordoor123
    @eganthevile1 said:
    @doordoor123 said:
    Knew it. I called it how many months ago? Or right! When this movie was first announced with Ryan Reynolds on it! So disappointing. Its going to feel uncomfortable to wear my Green Lantern clothing for a while.
    You would watch a movie because of Ryan Reynolds? Really? I watch movies in spite of him being in them not because of him.
    Haha WHAT?
    What in what I said made you believe that I would watch a Ryan Reynolds movie? I said I called that the movie was going to be a bust when I heard Ryan Reynolds was in it.
    lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#123  Edited By lostlantern13
    @cattlebattle said:
    In Timm I trust.
    maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#124  Edited By maxicere

I expected a failure. I will see this movie and them make my critic

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By roadbuster

Thanks for the honest review.   It sucks when a large comic franchise doesn't succeed - first, because we're consumers who want to enjoy a great film; and second, because movies are becoming the main focus of comic properties and their failure can hurt adaptations of other properties.  That said, it's better to hear how it was than sugar coat it, because it affects our weekend movie-going plans.

My non-comic reading friends weren't even kind to Thor or First Class so I'd hate for comic films to lose any more credibility with them if this film doesn't have broad appeal or solid execution.  Even my wife, who enjoys comics, has a bit of superhero fatigue. 

I'll still probably try to find some time to watch this film with my comic-reading friends if I can, but not try the patience of the non-diehards.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By roadbuster
    @cattlebattle said:
    There will be some growing pains because it's their first CGI series, but Timm was really excited about all the new stuff he had to learn with CG while still incorporating his traditional animation / storytelling experience (at the NYCC panel). 

My only worry is that the scope of the series gets cut down if the film doesn't do well economically and that's seen as a rejection of Green Lantern (the Schumacher Batman films, for example, were critically panned, but still did well at the box office because people still loved Batman- similarly for X-Men Origins: Wolverine- people love Wolvie).  The scope of the story they want to tell definitely has epic JLU-styled arcs that can cover seasons if we can get them... but Young Justice had similar plans and Cartoon Network cut their typical 26-episode order to 10 for the second season of Young Justice.  Young Justice: Invasion is almost a 10-episode mini-series rather than a full season. 

If Cartoon Network is already so skittish for something as quality as Young Justice, I'm worried they won't give the animated GL series the chance it needs to really get epic.  And, as far as DC's concerned, it gets the majority of its awareness and "converts" from cartoons right now, so Timm's GL series will be critical to helping the properties be more than just Batman, Superman, and the JLA.
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#127  Edited By turoksonofstone

Everyone's feet looked great in this film. I look forward to the sequels.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

That's really a shame. Regardless though I am going to go see it and give it a try. I have to.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By UltimateSMfan
    @greeneagle said:
    No disrespect G-Man, but couldn't you have waited till after Friday before writing this. Nonetheless i will reserve judgement till i see it.  And if it ends up being a better movie that First Class, man am gonna give you hell for quiet a bit.
    Agreed.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By turoksonofstone
    Canadian DC fans at Sneak Preview 
    Canadian DC fans at Sneak Preview 
    Avatar image for the_velvet_rabbit
    The Velvet Rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I knew this wasn't going to be a great movie, but seeing as my friends back home made me sit through three screenings of cars turning into robots, I'm okay with this.   honestly, I can enjoy a campy movie from time-to-time - the problem is that this type of film shouldn't take $150 million to make :(   having said this, I can still think of a dozen worse movies that have been slated for sequels in the past.   still, I'm hoping for a hard reboot as opposed to a sequel or, worse yet, dropping the title entirely - my husband loves GL, and it's always plenty ripe for fresh ideas.   also, next time, get Fillion or - dare I say - Boreanaz.   I know he can be boring and acts as stiff as cardboard sometimes, but he already voiced the part in New Frontier, and I think he did fantastic.

and please tell me they didn't turn carol into the damsel-in-distress.   -_-

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#132  Edited By shawn87

Too bad it was a disappointment. I'm still going to go see it tomorrow anyways. 

Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Bearded Justice

i had my suspicions 

kinda wanted this to be good though
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @Jordanstine said:

Some of you guys should not be so hard on  G-MAN

Look at the Rotten Tomatoes scale:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_lantern/   It's hovering around an abysmal 21% with 65 negative reviews and only 17 positives.

yeah g mans not alone on his opion of the movie.... 
    http://reason.com/archives/2011/06/16/green-lantern 
    An worse yet if box office is bad for green lantern an it realy isnt that great... it could hurt the other comic properties coming to the big screen as well. 
    Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Westlife

This was to be expected once WB embargoed reviews. At least I still have the animated movie

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Marshal Victory said:
    @Jordanstine said:

Some of you guys should not be so hard on  G-MAN

Look at the Rotten Tomatoes scale:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_lantern/   It's hovering around an abysmal 21% with 65 negative reviews and only 17 positives.

yeah g mans not alone on his opion of the movie.... 
    http://reason.com/archives/2011/06/16/green-lantern An worse yet if box office is bad for green lantern an it realy isnt that great... it could hurt the other comic properties coming to the big screen as well. 
    Probably just the DC properties. Captain America will do better.
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By dorsk188
    @Icon said:

@dorsk188: Actually First Class turned out quite well and has had mostly positive reviews (87% on RT).

I didn't care for it at all.  (My original post made it sound like I hadn't seen it, sorry for the confusion).  I haven't checked the critical response, aside from what I've seen on comicvine, but 87 seems a bit high to me...  Oh well, there's nothing wrong with having different tastes.  So critics and myself both liked Thor.  Critics liked First Class, but I didn't.  Critics don't like Green Lantern and I probably won't based on what I know (but I'm open-minded).  The only permutation left is the critics not liking Captain America while I do.  Sounds good to me. 

Can you imagine if the world worked like that?  lol
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By DH69

i am so happy this movie sucks, after seeing x-men and being completely blown away despite months of saying it would fail, i really needed this :)

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#139  Edited By umbrafeline

i knew gl was going to be terrible just by the trailer and the choice of lead actor. i might see it, but im not paying $8.50 though. ill watch super 8 first then go walk into gl
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#140  Edited By EganTheVile1

Ryan Reynolds needs to stop being cast in super-hero roles, he was OK as Deadpool, in the sense that he was good at being annoying.... But c'mon just because woman think he's hot is not a good enough reason to keep casting the guy, especially not in super-hero movies that have an overwhelmingly male audience, and female audience members smart enough to be drawn in by more then a body.... Please cast an actual actor in the future, not a pretty boy who reoccurs in romantic comedy after romantic comedy.

Schmidty816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#141  Edited By Schmidty816

Just got back from seeing the movie and I loved it. Not mind blowing in any way, but I really enjoyed it.

maemmfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By maemmfc

The moment I saw the GL clip where he was shouting "wooo!" while flying for the first time, all I could think was, "Oh, so it's going to be THAT kind of movie" ... and according to your review, my suspicions were correct. I can't wait to see it firsthand.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By isaac_clarke
    @eganthevile1 said:
    Ryan Reynolds needs to stop being cast in super-hero roles, he was OK as Deadpool, in the sense that he was good at being annoying.... But c'mon just because woman think he's hot is not a good enough reason to keep casting the guy, especially not in super-hero movies that have an overwhelmingly male audience, and female audience members smart enough to be drawn in by more then a body.... Please cast an actual actor in the future, not a pretty boy who reoccurs in romantic comedy after romantic comedy.

Blaming it on Ryan seems idiotic, when the movie is a total mess and he is highlighted as bringing some level of charm to the character for people to actually care about him.
    Exusiai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#144  Edited By Exusiai

I would like to counter your review with my own

http://www.comicvine.com/green-lantern/223-926/user-reviews/?review_id=19733

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#145  Edited By nightwing91

Just got back from seeing it, and I along with all my friends really enjoyed the movie. Every comic fan should see it.

Avatar image for iknoweverything
    IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By IKnowEverything

Hey everybody. One of my friends works at a movie theater so I saw an early showing this evening before it actually comes out. I went in with low expectations but it was a very fun movie. Ryan Reynolds does much better than I expected and although the movie definitely had some flaws, it was a very enjoyable movie. Lots of action. The special effects were great (95% of the time). I will be going to see it again before it leaves theaters. 

I urge people to go see it. Its much better than reviews suggest. Not Iron Man, Spider-Man 1 or 2 good, but right on par with the other super hero movies of this generation.

Avatar image for thunderxagent34
    ThUnDeRxAgEnT34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By ThUnDeRxAgEnT34

ATTENTION EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T LISTEN TO THIS REVIEW. 
    THIS MOVIE WILL BE A GOOD ONE, THIS IS JUST ONE PERSON'S OPINION. 
    DON'T LET THIS REVIEW CHANGE YOUR MINDS!

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By jubilee042

to bad

Falcon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Falcon9

I was able to see an advanced screening today in the afternoon and loved it! I can see why comicvine wouldn't be a big fan of it, and yes, two big things that were annoying was the pace of the movie and his crappy looking mask. I did enjoy the movie greatly though. I do recommend it and enjoy it. A lot of fun and although the graphics were a mix of a lot of good with bit of bad, the 3D was amazing. So yea, go see the Green Lantern!  youtube-mwc993-

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#150  Edited By Silkcuts

I am glad the Hal movie sounds like it sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.