Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Movie Review: Green Lantern Fails to Shine Brightly

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

If you're looking for the big summer blockbuster movie, sadly, it will not be Green Lantern. There's no question that everyone should be aware of this movie. You can't walk the city streets without seeing bus posters, billboards or ads on the sides of busses for the movie. Commercials have flooded television with images of what Warner Bros. hopes is their next big movie franchise.

No Caption Provided

I won't say it was a horrible movie. There were moments I did enjoy. Unfortunately they were overshadowed by the bad parts. While watching the movie, I tried to keep in mind how a comic book fan would react as well as someone that doesn't know a bit about the character.

There were some things that really worked and many that didn't.

== TEASER ==

The Story

No Caption Provided

From the moment the film begins, Tomar Re serves to inform viewers what is going on. We get a history lesson of sorts, explaining what the Green Lantern Corps is about, who the Guardians are and what the story of Parallax is. All of this happens before the credits even begin. It's a smart move as it quickly gets the messy details out of the way that would bog down the movie if attempted to be fully explained during.

No Caption Provided

That brings up another point, at an hour and forty-five minutes, the movie is crammed with plot details, characters and special effects. My fear that having the movie set on Earth and Oa would complicate things basically came true. It's like having two separate movies and they're not equally balanced.

We get a good introduction to who Hal Jordan is along with his skills and flaws. The pacing of the movie was just off. So much had to happen and yet, there were moments the movie almost felt as if it were dragging. Essentially, Hal has to get the ring, learn everything about it, fit in some training on Oa and return to Earth to be a hero. All this while helping to save the universe. That is quite a lot for one movie.

No Caption Provided

While having an entire movie set on Oa might be too much for the average movie-goer, it would have made more sense. Hal struggled with knowing how to properly use the ring but suddenly became an expert. He had the shortest training period ever. There is the easy-way out in suggesting that the ring and battery could infuse knowledge into his mind but it's not believable. We see an almost bumbling Green Lantern that can suddenly swoop in and save the day. Also Hal's first encounter with Hector Hammond felt like it just came in out of nowhere. All the while there's the threat of Parallax on Earth yet the Guardians and Green Lantern Corps don't feel it's worth their attention.

The biggest surprise was the movie didn't fully follow the 2008 Secret Origin storyline. Hal didn't have to earn his Lantern symbol on his costume. Hal and Sinestro didn't have their bonding moments as Hal trained to become a Lantern. Hector Hammond's origin was different (again). It just seemed odd that we're getting another retelling even though I completely understand that it can't and won't be exactly like the comics.

Casting

No Caption Provided

There are some good actors here but the casting for this movie was wrong. I'm a big fan of Ryan Reynolds but, as many have said before even seeing the movie, he just doesn't seem like Hal Jordan material. Reynolds almost felt like he played the role he always plays. That's great but it's not who Hal Jordan is. This is the area we need to separate ourselves from being a comic book reader or a movie-viewer. Reynolds provides the humor you'd expect. He does convey the struggle of overcoming fear nicely. He shows struggle of dealing and adapting to his new situation. But it just didn't feel like Hal Jordan.

Blake Lively as Carol Ferris? She was okay in her role but again, it didn't feel like the Carol I've been reading. I wasn't fully convinced she was an awesome fighter pilot as well as a savvy business exec. I felt she was going back and forth trying to decide how she felt about Hal. In the comics, we've seen her push her feelings aside often, trying to keep work and relationships separate. In the movie, she was often Hal's cheerleading section yet when they were together, it seemed it was Hal who was the one holding back.

No Caption Provided

What about Peter Skarsgard as Hector Hammond. Did they really need to go with Hammond as the villain? Sure Green Lantern doesn't have many memorable villains without going all cosmic (something I think they wanted to try to avoid, yet we had Parallax too). Hammond is one of those characters that works great in the pages of a comic book but when you try to translate him onto the big screen, it's another story. I mean look at the guy, he has a giant head. Does that capture the essence of a terrifying villain? How can you take him seriously when half the time you want to laugh at him?

The fact that we had Hammond and Parallax as the villains felt a little weird. But we all know you can't have only one villain or hero in a comic book movie.

Special FX

No Caption Provided

This is the big part. This is what could make or break the movie for many. This is an extremely visual movie. The funny thing is, I have seen some people comment about how great the effects were. Yes, there were some incredible visuals but I thought there many scenes that had visuals worse than some video games. The scene up above with Hal and Tomar Re flying, a couple moments it just looked like a bobbly Ryan Reynolds head floating around a bunch of green lights.

No Caption Provided

The scenes on Oa were cool but too many times the characters had strange stances. If you look at a larger image of the one to the right, the way Sinestro is standing looked really weird to me. Characters' legs and the way they walked looked very artificial.

During the brief moment Hal was training with Kilowog and Sinestro, the constructs were cool. It was just a strange mix throughout the movie.

What about Hal's costume? I know some have said they liked the fact that it's generated by the ring but I don't understand why it's so...muscle-y. Of course we all know how the mask looks. It's mentioned in the movie that Hal's ring would generate the mask when his identity needed protecting. If the Lanterns are intergalactic cops, why would they need to protect their identity? And how would one small mask completely conceal his identity? And the mask was just silly looking. Thankfully, some of the issues I mentioned are addressed in the movie. It was a nice touch.

No Caption Provided

Parallax was unexpected and an ambitious inclusion. Is it wrong that I was reminded of Megamind at times? The movie already had a lot of CG effects and to throw in a villain that looked like a floating black cloud with a giant head and teeth could be very hard for non-comic readers to swallow. But we're supposed to believe that Hal Jordan, on basically his first mission as a Green Lantern can take on Parallax when Sinestro's hand picked army of Lanterns couldn't? Guess Hal Jordan really is a kickass hero.

No Caption Provided

The Guardians were interesting (and also reminiscent of Megamind). We do get the sense that they know more than they let on. Comic readers will get that impression. Others might not quite get why they don't tell Sinestro or the Corps more about Parallax. It's just simply, "See ya later, good luck trying to stop him."

The Verdict

No Caption Provided

From everything I've written, it's easy to believe that I really didn't like the movie. Hal Jordan is one of my favorite characters. I've been wearing a sterling silver officially licensed Green Lantern ring on my finger since 1997. I wanted this movie to be everything it had the potential to be. Whether it's my longing to have Green Lantern up on the big screen, I'm not sure if that is actually jading my judgement rather than make me an angry comic book fan.

"Will we be back in a sequel?"

The movie is far from being close to perfect. It takes on a lot, almost too much. Trying to tell the origin story of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps in one movie along with having a major Parallax battle was way too much. As a comic fan, I would have loved to see more of Hal actually trying to figure out the ring and spending time on Oa.

Secret Origin showed Sinestro mentoring Hal. This was one of the tweaks made to Sinestro that was a great move. If Hal and Sinestro will come at odds later, seeing that close relationships adds more to the conflict over just having a good guy versus a bad guy.

My rating is a 3 out of 5. I was disappointed. There were nice touches. I was entertained at times. I had a smile on my face (not just when I was snickering at Hector Hammond). Too much was crammed into the movie but they did capture what the Green Lantern concept is about. Parallax should not have been in this movie. The actors were fine but better casting choices could have been made to get the right people to play the proper roles. The 3D was fine. I didn't notice it often throughout but did have moments when I noticed bad CG work.

I think the movie is definitely worth watching for comic fans, as long as you can watch without getting angry. I am thankful to finally have a GL movie, even if it could have been a better movie. Maybe it's my age but I don't have time to get hung up on all the flaws. Let's hope if there is a sequel, they will iron out the kinks here. I am a little sad but it had moments that made me happy as a Green Lantern fan.

As for the credits. There is a scene midway through the credits worth seeing, even if a little disappointing that they chose to do it there. Nothing at the very end except for an ad to buy Green Lantern trades (pretty smart move, actually).

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Noooo!!! I'm still gonna see the movie, cause Ryan Reynolds! and Green everything!
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

Knew it. I called it how many months ago? Or right! When this movie was first announced with Ryan Reynolds on it!
    So disappointing. Its going to feel uncomfortable to wear my Green Lantern clothing for a while.

Avatar image for thecheckeredman
    thecheckeredman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By thecheckeredman

This movie looked like a turd from day one...

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By OldManDuncan

If I have left over money I'll watch it.

mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mark5

Surprisingly good review. Same reception at Screened.com.   

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#6  Edited By StarKiller809

I'm starting to worry. I have heard only two good reviews about this movie. I hope it does well in the box office so we can get more DC Comics movies. I just hope they are better.
    the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the creator

This could be the kiss of death........................for GL films
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Bestostero

I'll be seeing this and see which I liked more First Class or Green Lantern, i was thinking Green Lantern would be my favorite, but after seeing so many negative comments about the movie, it might be First Class lol

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Norusdog
    @justafan said:
    not even going to go and i can't resist it... FIRST
    good job looking stupid.

anyway, love the minor spoilers...lol as I said even the editors here don't give a shit.

either way I'll still see this..I like Green lantern, but not a huge fan.  figured they crammed too much into it just by the trailers.  didn't take a genius to figure that one out.  Regardless, big effect-summer movies (like this) are meant to be mindless eye-candy.  I'll enjoy it for what it's meant to be instead of worrying about the bullshit.
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King Quisling

Wow, and they plan to do a sequel already? I'm going to see it for my own verdict but from everything I'm hearing 3/5 seems like the best it's gonna get.

djotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 367

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By djotaku

pacing-wise - looks like it ran into the same issues that plagued Scott Pilgrim.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

Maybe they should have gone with the original idea, have Alan Scott instead.

satanmode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By satanmode

Where's Nathan Fillion when I needs him (to be Green Lantern)?!?

blackair9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blackair9

I hate the casting of blake lively , she just not a really good actress and I would have preferred bradley cooper as Hal Jordan but that said i will still go see it and give it a chance.  It stays with the spirit and main ideas of the green lantern comic. unlike First class and wanted which just jhi-jacked the names and did what the fely like.
    lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#15  Edited By lostlantern13

Pretty much every single review I've seen confirms the fears many fans had when they saw the first trailer...heck, even when they cast for the film. 

It seems like a poorly paced script with miscast stars and a lack of direction kept the movie from being all it could be. I'm too big of a GL fan to pay to make myself frustrated with something that doesn't do the character justice (like seemingly every Marvel film's done lately).  

If only they had stuck to the "Secret Origins" plot...the movie probably would've come off much more focused....which seems to be (arguably) the biggest criticism (it seems to be a toss up between pacing, Reynolds, and a lame villain in Hammond).

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kallarkz

eh....well at least now Ill take more caution as I go in to see it tomorrow. 

Thank you sir.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Misterwizz

I read that several of the screenings ended in applause.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18  Edited By Outside_85

well all the CGI stills look like c*** when its supposed to be from a big-budget movie like this, had they been from a video game they might have been awesome, but as a movie it just looks unreal. 
    CGI works for far away stuff, dark stuff and massed armies you cant look too closely at. Up close you need guys in suits and makeup. The nameless Uruk-Hai grunts looked more real than the aliens here. 

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By SpidermanWins

This is disappointing. Now, I am so much less excited about seeing it tomorrow.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I'll be seeing it tomorrow. I had personally hoped Nathan Fillion would be Green Lantern while Reynolds would be Flash, that seems a better fit to me. This is the superhero movie of this summer that I've been looking forward to the most, so I'm hoping I enjoy it.

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#21  Edited By xkoenig

Ouch, man, ouch. After good reviews for Thor and X-Men, DC comes up short? That's too bad. I hope Captain America is good.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Cosmic Sentinel said:

I'll be seeing it tomorrow. I had personally hoped Nathan Fillion would be Green Lantern while Reynolds would be Flash, that seems a better fit to me. This is the superhero movie of this summer that I've been looking forward to the most, so I'm hoping I enjoy it.

Captain America might still bring hope ;p
    Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wattup

Honestly, I hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel so the filmmakers can improve on it. Otherwise, it may be the last we hear of any non-Batman or Superman DC movies for awhile...

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Billy Batson

FFFFUUUU! 

BB

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't give a crap about effects (I was fine with the effects decades ago), but it's a shame that the film seems to be the quality many of us expected.  I'll see it, as there's nothing else that interests me in the least.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By AlwaysBeClothing

Well, based on yours and Rorie's comprehensive Reviews I feel better about the movie. It has confirmed that as a casual Green Lantern fan I'll probably get some enjoyment! Probably best to go with friends or wait till the dvd comes out

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By Samimista

Even though I've seen much more negative reviews for this movie and very few positives I'm still going to watch it.

Sky_Jokiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By Sky_Jokiel

Yea, when I saw the first preview I said, POOP!!! But at the scenes were being released I have been getting more excited. Even though it's rocking a solid 23% on RottenTomatos. I think its just the CGI <and amount of it> that is bugging everyone. X-Men first class and Thor both took advantage of REAL costumes and makeup mixed with CGI to create the perfect combo. Its pictures like: 

Wth is going on with his eyes? Because he has the mask on his eyes go creepy? 
    &  
    This image is going to win #1 for < Obviously a Green Screen Image> 

With a $150 Million budget I expected so much more 

Haven't seen it yet though so who knows. I can still hope!

Ruvik_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Ruvik_

don't really care if ryan nut reynolds is GL i just want see the ring powers
    GL 2411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GL 2411

Basically G-Man's review confirmed all of the fears I've had since I read the 1st draft of this script circulating around the internet. They should have gone with a tweaked up script based upon the vastly superior "Emerald Dawn" then one based upon Johns' "Secret Origin". A movie based on Emerald Dawn would have keep GL in space on Oa where he belongs, but DC just can't quit Geoff Johns and had to get Parallax involved. I'm still seeing it but it sounds like a huge disappointment.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By sj_esposito

Oh man... I'm so disappointed to read all these bad reviews. I really wanted this movie to be good -- and I think it could have been -- but they blew it. 

On the bright side, I don't have to waste 20 bucks to see it in theaters now.

SupahGiggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SupahGiggles

Unfortunately, I called it. I mean, look at the first picture in this review. Just look at it.  What you see is pretty much what you get. Mediocrity. It's a damn shame, too. Add this on top of the pile of complaints DC fans are making about the revamp. Marvel is blowing them out of the water. Thor and First Class were amazing, and their whole build up to the Avengers is seamless. I mean, damn. Just damn. I'd feel sorry for DC if they weren't being completely ridiculous 99.9% of the time now.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#33  Edited By gmanfromheck

@GL 2411: It was actually pretty far off of Johns' Secret Origin, which surprised me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another DC franchise goes down due to one simply point.............they try and bring too much camp and comic book ideas into the first film. 

This is where Nolan got Batman right, by using the material but changing things to fit his need and tone. I can see how they tried to change Secret Origins for this film but the choices they made were horrible and it all came down to one reason................for some odd reason they needed to put in a love story aspect. We all know that Hal and Carl have gotten it on but it wasn't necessary for this film. Again I'll go to Nolan and the use of Rachael Dawes. Though not a great character per se, Nolan avoided the love story aspect by never actually getting Bruce and Rachael together. The audience knew they had feelings for each other, but not having them actually be a couple and the horrible dialog that goes with it is one of the reasons Batman Begins was a hit. 

If they had really done this right (and I criticize Geoff Johns heavily here since he helped pen this script) they would have kept the story completely in space as Hal learns what it means to be a Green Lantern and part of an intergalatic community. Villain? Either Legion or better yet Mongul using the forces of War World. That would have made this movie awesome and still carried the themes of will, duty, fear and everything else they tried to give us in this film. 

But I'm not quitting on DC movies just yet and keeping my fingers crossed Nolan can help pull off another great film with the Superman reboot.
    Black_Kn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Black_Kn1ght

Ryan's not suitted to be Hal Jordan. He's more Kyle Rayner. Ryan's more talkative, young, and outgoing.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I wish I could quote every opinion I posted on this movie and say 'I told you so.'

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icon

Really good review G-Man. I think it is one of your best as you really approached this movie from all angles. Also, since you're someone who had been a Green Lantern fan for a long time I can totally sympathize with how disappointed you must be. And I'm sorry.

GL 2411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GL 2411
    @G-Man

That's strange; with the addition of Hammond it looked like it was following "Secret Origins" with Parallax added instead of the Black Hand / Atrocitus stuff.   
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#39  Edited By Green ankh

didn't we all know?
    nolelantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nolelantern

Blast it. Well, at least I'll be seeing it with low expectations tonight (6/16 at 11:59 PM). I think I'll be like "G-Man", and at least like it a little as a decades-long Hal Jordan fan. And I hope they do do a sequel, and learn from whatever mistakes they have made.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Gambit1024

I haven't heard a good thing about this movie yet... But that kinda makes me wanna see it more. 

I'm in.

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By ReverseNegative

Reynolds left Deadpool to make this?!?!?

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dorsk188

We get a history lesson of sorts, explaining what the Green Lantern Corps is about, who the Guardians are and what the story of Parallax is. All of this happens before the credits even begin. It's a smart move as it quickly gets the messy details out of the way that would bog down the movie if attempted to be fully explained during.

That sounds like a mistake to me.  I understand it's Hollywood 101 to get mythology established as quickly as possible so you can move on to the hero's journey.  They did much the same thing with Thor, but I think it's a flawed formula.  How much more interesting is it to discover what the Green Lantern Corps is as Hal Jordan does?  It puts us in his shoes to a certain extent.  Based on your review, Hal is going around asking "what's this? who are they? where am I?" while the audience was already told these answers in the opening monologue...  It's just sloppy and inartful storytelling. 

If the story is too much to tell in the movie's narrative, it probably means you've bitten off too much for one movie.  Maybe they should have restricted the movie to Hal's discovery of the ring, this initial training, and Hal's (minor) involvement in some war on a galactic scale that he doesn't understand.  Basically model it on a more traditional war movie like Full Metal Jacket, where Hal is a drafted soldier more than a superhero-galactic savior.  Hammond and Parallax can wait for the inevitable sequel.
    garrison12795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By garrison12795

I personally feel like Nathan Fillion would be awesome as Green Lantern, in live action as well as animation...
    Asok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Asok

I knew it as soon as i saw the first trailer.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By azza04

Nice review G-Man. I'll lower my expectations when I go see this. I was surprised how good Thor and First Class were, so it was always asking alot to get three good superhero movies in a row. Still got Captain America to go.

2012 is going to be an awesome year for comic book movies, C A N ' T W A I T ! !

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Deranged Midget

So much negativity.

GL 2411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GL 2411

If this movie bombs I hope it doesn't effect the Green Lantern Animated Series.
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vitality

I'm sure I'll still like it.  

It's the same with Fantastic 4 and X-Men. 

I liked every single one of those movies...despite the poor reviews from fellow comic fans.
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.