Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Hal Jordan: Kill, Fix, Reboot, Leave As Is

• 54 results
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

If you were given creative control of the DC Universe, what would you do with Hal and how would you do it?

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Aiden Cross

Kill him, retire him, get him out of the picture, and give Kyle a chance.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Fix him, by taking him away from the Justice League and the GLC.  

He would remain a GL, but I'd throw him in an alternate dimension or some distant area of the galaxy and get some solid introspection on his character. There'd be no one to say how great he is or bring up Parallax, just Hal, his Ring and his Battery surviving while taking stock of his life. 

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BatteredArmor

Give him his ring back, send him to an alien sector, but other wise leave as is

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By SoA

let kyle become that number one guy again , i like hal as is , stuck with sinestro and sinestro telling him who is in charge .

yes im a guy gardner fan

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Fadetoblackbolt: I'd read it.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By John Valentine

Urgh, no to Kyle. That's what the 90s- 2005 were for. Plus Kyle pretty much has his own book.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

Leave as is.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Aiden Cross said:

Kill him, retire him, get him out of the picture, and give Kyle a chance.

Anniki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Anniki

Send him back to prison - a la Emerald Dawn II. Prisoner during the day, Green Lantern at night, until he gets some sense smacked into him and he stops being so whiny. Maybe not :-) I'm with SoA - I like Sinestro telling him what to do.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sethysquare
    Leave him as he is. he is the only GL that sells.
    Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Zeeguy91

There's nothing wrong with him. Leave him as he is, he'll get his ring back eventually. We all know this: he can't not be a GL forever. And no to Kyle coming back and being the main GL. Kyle's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Plus, he's the star of New Guardians.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Leave him as he is. Honestly I don't get the Hal hate, I personally love him..not as much as Kyle, but still.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By joshmightbe

Kill, set on fire, pee on ashes (I Hate Hal)

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Bump

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Bump

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Backflip

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Fix him, by taking him away from the Justice League and the GLC. He would remain a GL, but I'd throw him in an alternate dimension or some distant area of the galaxy and get some solid introspection on his character. There'd be no one to say how great he is or bring up Parallax, just Hal, his Ring and his Battery surviving while taking stock of his life.

Yes.

whoohoo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By whoohoo789

@Aiden Cross: give kyle a chance kyle got everything hal is always in kyles shadow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Bump

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#19  Edited By TronHammer

Hal Jordan is the only Green Lantern that sells. Every other attempt has failed.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By JamesKM716

Hmm, i'd love to see Hal as the Ion host personally...

MiniZeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MiniZeus

^true

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

bump

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SUNMAN

@joshmightbe said:

Kill, set on fire, pee on ashes (I Hate Hal)

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By sinestro_GL

Hal Jordan is a character with a HUGE personality...and I love it!

Some people just hate on everything. People criticise Superman for being a boy scout, and then people criticise Hal for being a "jerk". Wah wah wah...deal with it, people have personalities.

Hal is THE quintessential Green Lantern, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OutlawRenegade

Leave the character as is (that is with a personality) but get a writer who can actually write likable cocky characters

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AtPhantom

@sinestro_GL said:

Some people just hate on everything. People criticise Superman for being a boy scout, and then people criticise Hal for being a "jerk". Wah wah wah...deal with it, people have personalities.

We're not criticizing Hal for being a jerk. We're criticizing him for not being anything else. Wolverine is a jerk with character. Hal is a cardboard cutout.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@AtPhantom said:

@sinestro_GL said:

We're not criticizing Hal for being a jerk. We're criticizing him for not being anything else. Wolverine is a jerk with character. Hal is a cardboard cutout.

how much have you actually read with Hal?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AtPhantom

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Pretty much everything up until nu52 and partially since.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@AtPhantom said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Pretty much everything up until nu52 and partially since.

and in that time,you've found absolutely NOTHING to suggest that Hal int a jerk.....i find that hard to believe. but its your opinion.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leave him as is, but get him into deep space, away from everything and everyone he knows. Maybe some type of mission to find someone IDK. While out there really focus on the character, what he thinks of himself, his situation, and the universe in general. Have him come back a little wiser.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By briangsharon

They will keep him on if he is starring in the Justice League film.

Now if they go with another lantern its a different story.

AmonSet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AmonSet

Kill him. These old heroes need to die. Every last one of them. I get that people love the characters. People grew up with them and stuff. But come on guys. They ought to die permanently sometime. People re-read their favorite books but the books have endings. New blood all around please. Kill Hal, Bruce Wayne, Bruce Banner, Kal-el, Tony Stark, Odin, etc. Come on guys. Keeping characters alive for so long tends to ruin them in my opinion. If you don't kill them, at least the stories about them should end.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AtPhantom

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

and in that time,you've found absolutely NOTHING to suggest that Hal int a jerk.....i find that hard to believe. but its your opinion.

You're confusing the issue here. Hal is a jerk. That part is completely unquestionable. What is questionable is whether he's a loveable jerk a la Han Solo, Gambit, whathaveyou, and whether he has a personality beyond 'jerk'. The answer to both in my mind is no.

You asked me how I found nothing to suggest something about his character, but the problem is that there is nothing to find. It's been, hell, it was Sinestro Corps War when Hal last had an actual character moment. Since then he's had plenty of moments that should build character, but fall flat on their ass because all they do is regurgitate the same few tired lines about him that we knew since Johns started his run. Yes, his only fear is commitment. We get it. We got it since he first chatted with Carol in freaking Rebirth. We don't need it repeated over and over again every time she shows up. Either do something it or just drop it already.

Hal hasn't been the star of his own book ever since Johns discovered there are far more interesting characters around Hal than Hal himself. As a result Hal has been left stagnant and completely underdeveloped past the first few issues of GL which were actually about him.

Do I think that can be fixed? Yeah, I think with love Hal could be a nice character. Do I think he is one now? Hell no. I'd take freaking Scrappy Doo over him right now.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@AtPhantom said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

You're confusing the issue here. Hal is a jerk. That part is completely unquestionable. What is questionable is whether he's a loveable jerk a la Han Solo, Gambit, whathaveyou, and whether he has a personality beyond 'jerk'. The answer to both in my mind is no.

You asked me how I found nothing to suggest something about his character, but the problem is that there is nothing to find. It's been, hell, it was Sinestro Corps War when Hal last had an actual character moment. Since then he's had plenty of moments that should build character, but fall flat on their ass because all they do is regurgitate the same few tired lines about him that we knew since Johns started his run. Yes, his only fear is commitment. We get it. We got it since he first chatted with Carol in freaking Rebirth. We don't need it repeated over and over again every time she shows up. Either do something it or just drop it already.

Hal hasn't been the star of his own book ever since Johns discovered there are far more interesting characters around Hal than Hal himself. As a result Hal has been left stagnant and completely underdeveloped past the first few issues of GL which were actually about him.

Do I think that can be fixed? Yeah, I think with love Hal could be a nice character. Do I think he is one now? Hell no. I'd take freaking Scrappy Doo over him right now.

pre or post Don Messick Scrappy? (trust me, to a Scooby-Doo nerd, it matters)

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AtPhantom

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Crap... You got me there. :P

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@AtPhantom said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

id disagree.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AtPhantom

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Elaborate?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@AtPhantom said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Crap... You got me there. :P

lol, its ok. i am the reigning expert. just for the sake of clarity post Don Messick Scrappy was he better one.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@AtPhantom said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Elaborate?

I simply cant call him after all of the good he's done. i mean he sacrificed his life to save the entire planet. thats no small feat.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AtPhantom

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

I simply cant call him after all of the good he's done. i mean he sacrificed his life to save the entire planet. thats no small feat.

That doesn't make him not a jerk though. There are plenty of jerk superheroes who would do the same. Hell, Batman, most of the time, is a jerk. The difference is that with Batman you know and understand where his attitude is coming from, whereas Hal is simply doing it because his stereotype commands him to.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

lol, its ok. i am the reigning expert. just for the sake of clarity post Don Messick Scrappy was he better one.

LOL alright.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@AtPhantom said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

That doesn't make him not a jerk though. There are plenty of jerk superheroes who would do the same. Hell, Batman, most of the time, is a jerk. The difference is that with Batman you know and understand where his attitude is coming from, whereas Hal is simply doing it because his stereotype commands him to.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

LOL alright.

that is true in a some amount of occasions although he only ones i can really really are the new 52 ones.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

bump

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mysoulz

Get rid of him...And focus on characters that needs more development like John Stewart.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@atomicfist said:

What about Simon Baz, john and guy have the GLC, rayner has his new gaurdians so why not let baz have some light, he interacts well with others in kind of a douche bag way when he talks with the JL he says how he isnt strong enough to take them, but then says he could take batman and when Guy says "good work ZAB" and simons response is "baz" that bit made me chuckle, plus in his short time he has had some worthy feats already, willing his brother in law out of a coma

how is this relevant to the topic at all?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fodigg

I would make Hal a black Lantern, Kyle a White Lantern, and the Green Lantern Corps would be run by Stewart, Guy, Killowag, and Baz. Just...too many Green Lanterns.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@fodigg said:

I would make Hal a black Lantern, Kyle a White Lantern, and the Green Lantern Corps would be run by Stewart, Guy, Killowag, and Baz. Just...too many white Green Lanterns.

what you really wanna say : P

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fodigg

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@fodigg said:

I would make Hal a black Lantern, Kyle a White Lantern, and the Green Lantern Corps would be run by Stewart, Guy, Killowag, and Baz. Just...too many white Green Lanterns.

Well that's true too, but even beside that, too many male American GLs. All six of them. (Unless you count Jade.)

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@fodigg said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@fodigg said:

Well that's true too, but even beside that, too many male American GLs. All six of them. (Unless you count Jade.)

I was actually yanking your chain but i see your point. i'dve probably kept Hal and John s partner but thats just me. hard to believe that there was actually a time that i liked all of earth's Lanterns for their unique traits lol. what was i thinking ?

atomicfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By atomicfist

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Fair play

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@atomicfist said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Fair play

what?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.