Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

Hal Jordan is the Green Lantern

MrGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hal Jordan has been the main star of Green Lantern Franchise for 42 years. There may be a few people who disagree with this article due to there attachment to a GL character but my goal is to inform why Hal Jordan is the definitive Green Lantern.

Some of you may wonder why I said 42 years instead of 54 years? I mean the character has been around since 1959 right? Well that's simple its because Hal has had replacements in the years following his first appearance. John Stewart filled in from issues #182 until #190 with frequent appearances by Hal Jordan. In 1994 the story Emerald Twilight commenced in hopes of revitalizing the Green Lantern franchise as it was in a bit of a decline. The story lasted from volume 3 issues #49 to #55. From that point onward Kyle Rayner was the main protagonist of the Green Lantern Franchise. This lasted for 10 years until the storyline "Rebirth" in which Hal Jordan comes back to life and reclaims his rightful position as the main protagonist. In that time John Stewart has appeared in the very successful Justice League cartoon. John and Kyle have both solidified themselves in comic goers minds and in the general public's eye. But unbeknownst to some of you Hal Jordan has made more appearances then all of the other green lanterns combined. Which I know has made him more well known. Out of all the Green Lantern he also has the Largest fan base which all together furthers his place as the definitive Green Lantern. So let me show you some examples of his dominance over other lanterns when it comes to media exposure.

Hal Jordan

TV;The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure, The All-New Super Friends Hour, Challenge of the SuperFriends,t Super Friends, Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show,The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians,Duck Dodgers,Justice League Unlimited(cameo),The Batman,Batman: The Brave and the Bold,Young Justice(He appears alongside John Stewart), MAD, and most importantly the New Green Lantern: The Animated Series of which he is the main character.

Video Games; Justice League Heroes(Hal and Kyle are both skins for the John Stewart character), Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe,Wii version of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, DC Universe Online,Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters, Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes,Injustice: Gods Among Us,and in the upcoming Infinite Crisis.

Movies;Justice League: The New Frontier (Main character),Green Lantern: First Flight,Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths,Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, Justice League: Doom, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, Lego Batman: The Movie – DC Super Heroes Unite, and as bad as it was Green Lantern(2011)

John Stewart; Justice League,JLU,Static Shock,Young Justice,Justice league Heroes, and DC Universe Online

Kyle Rayner; Superman TAS,JLU,and Justice League Heroes,DC Universe Online

Guy Gardner;Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, Green Lantern: The Animated Series( 3 episodes),Batman: The Brave and the Bold – The Video game,DC Universe Online

So collectively when you look through comics and and media he is the definitive Lantern. The main reason people feel that John Stewart is the more popular Lantern or should be the main one is because he has been exposed during the JLU cartoon which lasted from 2001 to 2006. That is 5 years of exposure but its not like he was the main character he was always accompanied by some other member. On the other hand Hal Jordan has had stared in the Green Lantern TAS which is mainly about his character and it lasted for 2 years.

Green Lantern(2011) was horrible but it did sell it made $219,851,172. Green Lantern First Flight and Emerald warriors also starred Hal Jordan and together made 8,972,645. A movie can more effectively influence the general public's eye than the JL cartoons which is why Hal is more well- known.

It is also said in the comics that he is the Greatest Green Lantern. Not only is he said to be the greatest Green lantern he is also the leader of the corps in the next issue of Green lantern( issue #21). In comic he is also a founding member of the Justice League which further establishes his importance in the DC universe. His importance in the comics out weighs the other lanterns because he has a larger role as the leader of the corps and a founding member of the Justice League.

So in conclusion he has been the main character of the comic longer than any other lantern and has more media exposure which has made him the first lantern to come to mind. Some people will argue that other lanterns are just as important because they star in their own books. That mentality is invalid because then you could say Nightwing or Batgirl are just as important in that Batman franchise because they have there own titles. The Last page of Issue #20 should make most fans understand this. "He was the spark....... that started the everlasting fire"

MrGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was an article i put up on CBM and it didn't get enough peoples attention so I thought I'd post here and see the John Stewart fans go into a frenzy

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

To me there is no argument that Hal Jordan is the Green Lantern. Alan Scot was the first but he never has added as much to Green Lantern lore as Hal has. I find it funny when people say John Stewart should be the media's Green Lantern, John is a great character but he was only in the of the cartoons spotlight for a short time compared to Hal's time as the main Green Lantern.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should make Isamot Kol the main person in the Green Lantern Corps comic, hes awesome.

MrGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BR_Havoc

My thoughts exactly .John is horrible written for and comic wise he is just a supporting cast character who got popular because of race and Bruce Timm's negligence.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

No Caption Provided

amutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

NO NO NO *throws fit* I reject Hal Jordan! *pooey*

MrGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mrgod: Yup Hals the original

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By sinestro_GL

@mrgod: I generally have no problems with people disliking Hal. I mean come on, you can't force everyone to like you. But I too get a bit annoyed when the debate over who is the "best" green lantern or who is the "better character" starts.

It's clear to see that John's popularity stemmed from the Timm cartoons. Whilst there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, many GL fans have somehow become annoyed that Hal is the main man in the comics as opposed to John.

Yes it's true that John in the comics deserves better, but it shouldn't mean that Hal has to suffer.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hall is great, but to me THE Green Lantern is Kyle Rayner.

Avatar image for the_greatest_green_lantern
    The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John is THE Green Lantern--to me. The fact that it's up for such serious debate should tell you something--there is no definitive GL. It switches from person to person depending on your personality and introduction to the mythos. My introduction was through JLU and John is by far my favorite, followed by Kyle. Get over yourself fanboy. Hal is not that special.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@the_greatest_green_lantern: He isn't a fanboy...he is a fan, are totally different things and he is only exposing his opinion,whose which he has every right to expose.

I do not understand why the aggression against him, he did not disparage the other Green Lanterns,in another thread you said that Hal Jordan should disappear because it does not add to the mythology and that is the real Lanternaq John Green, he should be the member of the Justice League and leader of the Green Lanterns,in other disparaging the character. Hal Jordan is special,because it is was the first human Green Lantern (Alan Scott is not considered because he was never a member of the Corps and its power comes from a piece of star,which the Guardians used to collect the magic of the universe , he just became a member when Kyle invited him),he was one of the original founding members of the Justice League. That's why he is so regarded among fans and writers.

He is the classic Green Lantern, it was the beginning and will be there until the end, the other humans Green Lantern is his legacy.

MrGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrGOD

@ The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

You sir are the fan boy. John is a crappy character who hasn't been written properly but yet you still cling to this notion that he is important in the mythos. And did you seriously say Hal Jordan isn't that special i mean he was the first human to be inducted into the corps every character ( including Guy, John, Kyle, Baz, and Sinestro) come from a story of his and are thus extensions of his character. None of the other Lanterns have an origin that doesn't revolve around Hal. Look at ever big Green lantern event for the past few years and he is the star of a majority of them ( not third army or wrath of the first lantern). He has more media exposure and if you read my article instead of just reading the title you would see he is more important. He is a founder of the justice league, leader of the corps, He beat the first Lantern, and He knows Sinestro better than any other GL. What has John done other than stand in the back round of the GLC series with Guy Gardner in the Lead. Sure he has become a guardian and sure he fought of some black lanterns ( who hasn't) but he hasn't done anything that important.

Sure you can say it's because of the writers , but really it isn't becuase no one wants to build on to a boring supporting cast character, which is why he is always in the background doing something insignificant . Your argument is invalid and it is you who are fan boy. That's the only reason you would cling to this character a cartoon and his race, sounds like a close minded fan boyism to me.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@mrgod: John is far from a crappy character. He's one the best characters in comics history, let alone in the GL universe. He is an iconic black superhero on top of that.

You say you can't blame the writers for him not being used then proceed to say he's boring because he's in the background - which is specifically because of those writing not using him, so you're point makes no sense. A character is only as good as the one writing him. And John has been established as a multidimensional character in the past (both in comics and tv), some writers have just failed to utilize him lately.

If you think a multidimensional character like John is boring, then you obviously don't like established, fleshed out characters. There's nothing 'boring' about him. But if you don't like him that's your opinion. Some of us like strong chracters like John.

MrGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ Extremis "He's one the best characters in comics history"

Not even closet. he hasn't done anything significant. obviously you guys have a hard on for the character. Like you've stated "He is an iconic black superhero ". That is about all he is, a black superhero. That is why he is so famous and that's why you like him. If your not a fan of Hal well tough he is the main protagonist. But other than Hal there are two way better written characters than John ,Guy and Kyle. There is a direct correlation between this character's fans and race. I've seen some of the The_Greatest_Green_Lantern 's post and he seems overly fond of Batwing, Cyborg , and John which just furthers my theory. This character isn't anywhere near the level of high regard you have for the character. And my original point was the reason he is in the background is because he isn't interesting or important enough which is why the writers have no story for him. I'm sorry that your favorite character isn't as high up as you though he was. Read the article there are very good points in there.

And let me expand on that previous comment "He's one the best characters in comics history" not even close. Lets really dissect the character shall we. He starts his GL career of as a replacement for Guy because Guy is in a coma. He later replaces Hal for 8 issues with appearances from Hal , then he goes on to work with the Cosmic Odessy ( a failed mini series). after running out of things to do with the character he is introduced into the series Mosaic which lasted 18 issues before being cancelled . Then he went on to join Darkstars which didn't last long either (John got paralyzed in his run in the comic) . And then Hal gave him the ability to walk after being paralyzed. After being given a ring by Rayner he joins the justice league ( not doubt the cartoon influenced that line up) and after rebirth he didn't have a staring role any any GL comic for some time until the new 52 where he is then partnered with Guy. So you see over the years he has had more temporary role and team roles than anything. He is far from being within the top 50 superhero characters , as I recall IGN ranked him 55th on a list whereas Hal made 7th. It is just a fact he doesn't even come close to the title " one the best characters in comics history".

The main appeal of the character is race. I'm white/black and I do see the lack of black superheroes as a problem but a bigger problem is fabricating a character value. I loved John in the cartoon I just feel that's the character you love. Because as a frequent reader of GL titles I see no reason to be drawn to the character other than his race and his appearance on a cartoon from 6 years ago.

Avatar image for captainlantern76
    CaptainLantern76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Depends on your opinion, really...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hal is the Green Lantern. People just can't separate their favorite from being the main guy. My favorite is Kyle but I can accept that Jordan is still the one.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 55

#19  Edited By Extremis

@mrgod: annnnndd 15 days later and 12 posts hating on John... Yep, you're a hater.

And for anyone who cares to know, John IS considered one of the greatest comic characters. One example: IGN ranked him on their list of best 100 superheroes. I think he came in at 50-something if I remember right. Not too shabby considering how many thousands of main characters (probably more) in the comics industry.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Depends on your opinion, really...

exactly

@extremis said:

@mrgod: annnnndd 15 days later and 12 posts hating on John... Yep, you're a hater.

And for anyone who cares to know, John IS considered one of the greatest comic characters. One example: IGN ranked him on their list of best 100 superheroes. I think he came in at 50-something if I remember right. Not too shabby considering how many thousands of main characters (probably more) in the comics industry.

valid point : ). id just ignore Mr.God if were you though.

@mrgod said:

@ Extremis "He's one the best characters in comics history"

Not even closet. he hasn't done anything significant. obviously you guys have a hard on for the character. Like you've stated "He is an iconic black superhero ". That is about all he is, a black superhero. That is why he is so famous and that's why you like him. If your not a fan of Hal well tough he is the main protagonist. But other than Hal there are two way better written characters than John ,Guy and Kyle. There is a direct correlation between this character's fans and race. I've seen some of the The_Greatest_Green_Lantern 's post and he seems overly fond of Batwing, Cyborg , and John which just furthers my theory. This character isn't anywhere near the level of high regard you have for the character. And my original point was the reason he is in the background is because he isn't interesting or important enough which is why the writers have no story for him. I'm sorry that your favorite character isn't as high up as you though he was. Read the article there are very good points in there.

And let me expand on that previous comment "He's one the best characters in comics history" not even close. Lets really dissect the character shall we. He starts his GL career of as a replacement for Guy because Guy is in a coma. He later replaces Hal for 8 issues with appearances from Hal , then he goes on to work with the Cosmic Odessy ( a failed mini series). after running out of things to do with the character he is introduced into the series Mosaic which lasted 18 issues before being cancelled . Then he went on to join Darkstars which didn't last long either (John got paralyzed in his run in the comic) . And then Hal gave him the ability to walk after being paralyzed. After being given a ring by Rayner he joins the justice league ( not doubt the cartoon influenced that line up) and after rebirth he didn't have a staring role any any GL comic for some time until the new 52 where he is then partnered with Guy. So you see over the years he has had more temporary role and team roles than anything. He is far from being within the top 50 superhero characters , as I recall IGN ranked him 55th on a list whereas Hal made 7th. It is just a fact he doesn't even come close to the title " one the best characters in comics history".

The main appeal of the character is race. I'm white/black and I do see the lack of black superheroes as a problem but a bigger problem is fabricating a character value. I loved John in the cartoon I just feel that's the character you love. Because as a frequent reader of GL titles I see no reason to be drawn to the character other than his race and his appearance on a cartoon from 6 years ago.

please just let it go. you gettin mad and arguing isnt helping anything

MrGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt

Im not mad i'm just trying to get my point across but I see how you think my comment got out of hand.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

John Stewart, like most diversity replacements, is just that. He went from a horrid "I'll get you cracka" personality to a boring ass stoic personality due to his Urkel-esque "Did I do that?" incident with Xanshi. Simon Baz is John Stewart done right.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Stewart, like most diversity replacements, is just that. He went from a horrid "I'll get you cracka" personality to a boring ass stoic personality due to his Urkel-esque "Did I do that?" incident with Xanshi. Simon Baz is John Stewart done right.

indeed. im a fan of simon baz, not john steward

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest Hal bores me, John is a cool character but he is most likely the top choice for a movie reboot , guy is a douche and Kyle is THE green lantern

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favourite Green Lantern has to be Kyle Rayner for me, hands down. But I will happily admit to seeing Hal Jordan as the "face" of the Green Lantern corps.

booter24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By booter24

Hal Jordan appears in 2608 issues

Alan Scott appears in 1361 issues

Kyle Rayner appears in 1131 issues

John Stewart appears in 992 issues

Guy Gardner appears in 950 issues

Simon Baz appears in 30 issues

Hal Jordan is the best green lantern

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Hal became the Green Lantern to me when I got into comics about 5 years ago. One of the first things my dad bought 9 year old me when I took interest in comics was a DC Encyclopedia. Until I read that book I always thought John Stewart was the Green Lantern due to the Bruce Timm JL cartoon. However whenever I found out about the other Lanterns for some reason Hal became THE Green Lantern for me since I realized he was the first of them all. Also because I got a Green Lantern comic before I took interested in comics and Hal was the Lantern in the book though I never really took notice until I got the encyclopedia.

However though I look at Hal as THE Green Lantern, John Stewart will always have a special space in my comic loving part of my heart since he was the first Lantern I known about.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hal is definitely my favorite.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kyle is my most favorite GL but Hal is cool too.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hal is my favorite. I like Rayner a lot though

KingRobbStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jointron33:

Meh. Instead of making him look Middle Eastern (Lebanese), they just drew him as another black character (which does not fit at all), then proceeded to give him a horrible tattoo (which middle eastern people look down upon). In other words he does not fit the background he is supposed to represent as a comic book character. Over all I would give him a 1/10.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By sinestro_GL

@kingrobbstark said:

Meh. Instead of making him look Middle Eastern (Lebanese), they just drew him as another black character (which does not fit at all), then proceeded to give him a horrible tattoo (which middle eastern people look down upon). In other words he does not fit the background he is supposed to represent as a comic book character. Over all I would give him a 1/10.

What I don't get is why those with the ability to overcome great fear on Earth all come from the U.S.

Though I have no big problems with that, I don't accept the justification being to introduce more racially diverse characters.

I mean look at the GLC, there's plenty of diversity from across the universe...putting more Earth lanterns is in a way, discriminatory against beings from other space sectors.

/nerd rant

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

@sinestro_gl said:

@kingrobbstark said:

What I don't get is why those with the ability to overcome great fear on Earth all come from the U.S.

Though I have no big problems with that, I don't accept the justification being to introduce more racially diverse characters.

I mean look at the GLC, there's plenty of diversity from across the universe...putting more Earth lanterns is in a way, discriminatory against beings from other space sectors.

/nerd rant

This is just pandering to the Americans who refuse to read about anyone not from their country, and the fact that Geoff Johns writes for himself. Hence why Baz is Lebanese; Johns is as well.

KingRobbStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl said:

@kingrobbstark said:

/nerd rant

This is just pandering to the Americans who refuse to read about anyone not from their country, and the fact that Geoff Johns writes for himself. Hence why Baz is Lebanese; Johns is as well.

Lebanese in general tend to look caucasian, and the first time I saw Baz my first impression was that he was black. After reading further my second impression was that he could be a black muslim, and neither of those impressions were right. Meaning that Baz fails as a character, and perhaps they should rewrite his origins story.

I had no idea Johns was Lebanese, but that just confirms my point above.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I consider Hal the definitive Green Lantern and my favorite, but I like both John and Kyle too. I even think Baz isn't half bad, but I could never find myself liking Guy.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I agree that Hal is THE Green Lantern. That does not, however, mean that I have to like him (I don't).

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I agree

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.