Follow

Guardians 3000

Volume »

The original Guardians of the Galaxy are back!

Guardians #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

GUARDIANS #1 is on sale Wednesday, October 1.

The Good

Reading this issue made me realize just how much I missed these characters. These were my first introduction to the Guardians. In the 80s we got to see the future timeline of the Marvel Universe and it still felt fresh and new. Since then, we've seen countless alternate future stories and the charm soon faded. Seeing this team in action brings it all back. Dan Abnett is known for rejuvenating the Guardians with the modern team we have today. Now we get to see him jump forward to give us his take on the originals.

Abnett is setting up a crazy scenario. There's the obvious question of how this will relate to the previous series and it's sort of answered in a subtle way. The original Guardians have had a lot of adventures long ago (in our time) but you don't need to know or worry about any of those. New readers might not immediately be aware of who all the characters are and what their abilities are but Abnett makes it work for all readers here.

In this first issue, we're thrown right into the thick of the action in this issue. You get to see pretty much what you'd expect in an action-packed futuristic sci-fi book. Gerardo Sandoval's art captures the action nicely. Sometimes sci-fi comics have a generic feel but we're introduced to the characters in the midst of the crazy action and Edgar Delgado's colors make the lasers and explosions jump off the page. Sandoval mixes up the panel layouts on each page with some of the images exploding off the page and wide shots to give you a sense of how big the situation is.

The Bad

We do get to "meet" each character throughout the action but those unfamiliar with the team might not feel the severity of the situation immediately. Part of the excitement for me was the connection I had to the characters from their previous stories. Those unfamiliar might not quite be on the edge of their seats as long time readers. The feeling of being thrown right into the situation, even though we get an explanation later, might be too much for some.

I really dig the art but there were a couple moments the characters appeared a little too stylized. I really enjoyed the visuals but because of the events in this issue, there are a lot of scenes requiring very emotional and outraged responses.

The Verdict

I never thought I'd be reading a new series with the original Guardians of the Galaxy again. The original team is back and Dan Abnett is setting up a crazy new adventure that will work for both new and old readers. This isn't the Guardians you might now and it's definitely not the Marvel Universe you're used to. Abnett is bringing back the fun of getting to visit the far off future while delivering a pretty intense and action-packed issue. Gerardo Sandoval gives us plenty of over the top action that feels a little extreme a couple times. Whether you're a long time Guardians fan or you're new to this incarnation, you'll love how frantic things get and what the scenario means for the team. Long time readers will love this and newer ones are in for a treat as they get acquainted with the team.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Major Victory!!!!!! Can't wait to get this.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
    BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

That cover is amazing.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The one thing that's really turning me off from this book is the art.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cannot wait to pick this up! As a huge Guardians fan I was bummed to have to drop their main title, but I've had enough of Bendis and his atrocious dialogue. Looks like this is going to be the PERFECT replacement.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
    GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Onemoreposter

Very excited for this series! Also excited to see if @g_man can keep coming up with future themed puns for the brief descriptions at the top of the reviews for each issue!

KingStandup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked this up yesterday. The art, especially the cover, is great. I'm very pleased with the debut issue - looking forward to much more. Oh yes - STARHAWK! 'Nuff said.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Guess I've been away too long. Didn't know this was happening. Love this team when I was first introduced to them in the Korvac Saga.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.