Follow

Greg Pak

Person » Greg Pak is credited in 1147 issues.

A prominent writer for Marvel, Valiant and DC Comics, Greg Pak is especially known for his extended work on the Hulk and Hercules as well as his recent work on Action Comics, Batman/Superman, and Storm

Greg Pak Talks TOTALLY AWESOME HULK and Working on Amadeus Cho Again

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Just recently, Marvel teased us with the mystery of who the TOTALLY AWESOME HULK would be. While we were pretty sure who it would be, the teasers left us guessing. With Greg Pak on board, it made total sense that Amadeus Cho, a character he co-created, would be the lead.

Of course the big question is, how the heck did Amadeus become a Hulk? The other question is, what happened to Bruce Banner? Pak will be working with Frank Cho on the series. We talked to Greg to see what we could find out about the further mysteries of the TOTALLY AWESOME HULK.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Did Marvel approach you about writing Amadeus Cho again or did you go to them?

GREG PAK: I got a call out of the blue from editor Mark Paniccia, who said "Amadeus Cho Hulk" and I said "YES, PLEASE."

I know it totally sounds like something I would have pitched, right? But the idea came up during one of Marvel's creative summits and they came to me afterwards. Honestly, I love it even more that way. This isn't just ONE crazy person's dream book; it's a BUNCH of crazy people's dream book. ;-)

CV: Who came up with the title?

GREG PAK: I think Mark came up with the title. I blinked at first, but then I realized it totally fit. Amadeus freaking loves being the Hulk, and the book has a whole different, exciting vibe as a result. The title reflects that. It also means we get headlines that say "There's a New Hulk - and He's Totally Awesome!" Which is pretty sweet.

CV: How did the idea of Amadeus being a Hulk come about?

GREG PAK: As Mark and Axel explained to me, the idea of a new Hulk came up during a Marvel creative summit. And I guess if you think about characters who have a real relationship to the Hulk and who would make for an interesting new Hulk, Amadeus kind of naturally rises to the surface. In his very first appearance back in November 2005 in AMAZING FANTASY V2 #15, he has a close encounter with the Hulk. And during World War Hulk, we discovered he's the world's biggest Hulk fan, and his story's intersected with Banner's multiple times over the years since then. So just in terms of continuity, he makes a ton of sense.

But I think the deciding factor was that Amadeus brings a great new dynamic to Hulk stories. He's a kid -- nineteen years old -- and he thinks he knows everything. And he just might! So he's a ridiculously confident kid who's convinced he's going to be the best Hulk EVER. That's a huge difference from Banner's relationship to the Hulk, and it opens up a whole new set of themes and stories.

CV: Will the series begin with him already able to be a Hulk or will we see how it happens?

GREG PAK: We'll start in mid-adventure, with Amadeus as the Hulk getting into Hulk-sized trouble on a big, Hulk-sized mission. And then we'll gradually reveal how he got there and what the stakes really might be.

No Caption Provided

CV: Is the device on his wrist a Gamma Ray injector/inducer thingy?

GREG PAK: All will be revealed in issue #1! Tell your local comic shop to pre-order your copy today!

CV: Will we find out what happened to Bruce Banner right away or will it be a juicy mystery playing out over the beginning issues?

GREG PAK: It'll be a big, fat, juicy mystery. I love Banner; I wrote stories about the guy for five and a half years. And I'm thrilled to explore how all of this came about and what the ramifications are for him. There's a lot of great story there.

CV: We’ve seen a smart Hulk before. How will Cho as a Hulk be different?

GREG PAK: One of the great things about Amadeus is that he's ridiculously smart, but he can also be really dumb -- in the way that really smart folks can often make very bad decisions. And being the Hulk may only increase Amadeus's already extreme impulsiveness. So get ready for explosions!

CV: How excited are you to be writing Amadeus again?

GREG PAK: Over the moon. He's always been one of my very favorite characters to write, and I'm hugely grateful to Mark and Axel and everyone at Marvel for bringing me back for this huge new chapter in his life. And a huge, huge high five to all the writers (especially my INCREDIBLE HERCULES co-writer Fred Van Lente!) who have used him in their books over the years and all the readers who have bought the books. We all raised this bouncing boy together!

And let me just give a big shout out to artist Frank Cho and colorist Sonia Oback. They're absolutely incredible, investing every panel and every page with so much energy and humor and excitement. It's a labor of love all 'round, and it shows.

Don't miss out on the upcoming TOTALLY AWESOME HULK, on sale in December. Be sure to let your comic shop know right away to order you a copy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I hate him because he is not white Bruce. :P

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@farkam:

Unfortunately that will be the reaction of many comic fans. Some hate diversity for some reason.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: i hate him cause he is a wanna be bruce LMAO they couldn't even take the time to design a true original hulk but sure it's easy to jump on the whole "they hate it cause he ain't white" bandwagon that seems to be the easy way out

No Caption Provided

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam:

Unfortunately that will be the reaction of many comic fans. Some hate diversity for some reason.

The definition of diversity means variety, considering Bruce banner was already this withdrawn, emotionally unstable man of average height instead of a 6'3" chiseled, perfect super hero, I would say he was already pretty "diverse"...

Oh no, wait, you are talking about the racist definition of diversity that means there are "too many white characters" right?? My bad.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FearTheLiving

I'll give it a shot just like most of the new titles if it fails to capture me I'll move on to something else there is plenty to choose from.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By DonFelipe

Sounds like a totally awesome idea after all!

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Grey56

@cattlebattle said:

The definition of diversity means variety, considering Bruce banner was already this withdrawn, emotionally unstable man of average height instead of a 6'3" chiseled, perfect super hero, I would say he was already pretty "diverse"...

Oh no, wait, you are talking about the racist definition of diversity that means there are "too many white characters" right?? My bad.

This is well said. The only thing one might add is that a return to 'The Incredible Hulk' & stories that feature that character in said traditional title might rouse some readers. Like all of us, Banner has so many wrinkles to his psyche - and so many personalities of the Hulk that the stories are truly endless & fun to read!

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Cho is just the bees knees. :)

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it! Looks like a Guido Carosella (Strong Guy) Hulk.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Stahlflamme

@grey56: I'm gonna be honest, if you're as crazy as Banner, you should get help.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

@grey56: I'm gonna be honest, if you're as crazy as Banner, you should get help.

Can't argue there; but what a great story that could be! Bruce on Doc Sam's couch - taking a stroll through the Ego & Id !

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like Banner.Cho not so much.If it gets interesting I will pick it up.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Frank Cho be giving us sexy covers of Amadeus in scantily clad hulk outfits?

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Amadeus. Just like I like Sam and even Jane Foster...

But I'm kinda done with the whole "replacement" hero thing...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam:

@farkam: i hate him cause he is a wanna be bruce LMAO they couldn't even take the time to design a true original hulk but sure it's easy to jump on the whole "they hate it cause he ain't white" bandwagon that seems to be the easy way out

No Caption Provided

Taking the bait. :P

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Eh, I'll read it. Not that much of a Hulk fan though.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Maddpanda531

It's been a long time since I've really read a Hulk series, can't wait to dive back in with this one.

E1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Frank Cho be giving us sexy covers of Amadeus in scantily clad hulk outfits?

Exactly. Cho's art always bothers me, I mean, why show MsMarvel cleavage while she's having a serious conversation with Cap? In an action scene, of course! But his art always pulls me out of the story.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

This series will totally be cancelled. And that's not totally awesome news.

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Supi

@the_impersonator: Not exactly but Banner (and the original Hulk) will return in 5 issues....

We want a Hulk title not a Hulkcules one..

I have faith in Pak's writing but I have to read to have my opinion and I hope I'm wrong....

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just cheapens the crap out of what it means to be Hulk. Even with the emotional spectrum of Hulks, there was still only one HULK. For numbnuts to have the ability and audacity to become and call himself Hulk, just takes some of the sheen off of the Real Hulk (strongest ONE there is and all).

I am diverse myself, but this "replace EVERY white guy" thing is stale as can be. Having the shield doesn't make you Cap. Having the hammer doesn't make you Thor. And being green doesn't make you Hulk.

DrThanos91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

GREG PAK: It'll be a big, fat, juicy mystery. I love Banner; I wrote stories about the guy for five and a half years. And I'm thrilled to explore how all of this came about and what the ramifications are for him. There's a lot of great story there.

This is quite literally why I'm picking this book up. I love Greg Pak, and I'm willing to give this series a try but for the life of me I can't get excited, not with the idea that we could have had the Original hulk under Pak's and Frank Cho's pen....Well might as well make the best of it. Hope I enjoy and have fun with the series.

AdamFranco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is Asian (Not sure how yet, but hopefully it is handled better than Thor)

Thor is a Woman (It is STILL stupid how this came about)

Captain America is Black (I'm actually OK with this, because falcon IS actually the most logical successor... plus I'm black so maybe there is some bias there)

I don't mind increased diversity... But i kinda wish it wasn't so on the nose. I want smart diversity. I want the type of diversity, that you don't notice because It's totally normal and natural. This is not that. It seems forced.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is quite literally why I'm picking this book up. I love Greg Pak, and I'm willing to give this series a try but for the life of me I can't get excited, not with the idea that we could have had the Original hulk under Pak's and Frank Cho's pen....Well might as well make the best of it. Hope I enjoy and have fun with the series.

O_Bartels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have read comic books with Cho. I like the character but the title of the series isn't inspiring confidence.

MrDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man i just lost like a thousand bets. ok amadeus cho. gonna give him a try Banners (616 and 1610) are still my favorite Hulks.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nite_Nite

YES!!! Keep it up the diversity Marvel and take my money while you're at it! ✋

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Worst kept secret. I'd say worst idea too but Marvel has been making so meany lately that he has stiff competition.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

The bolded is exactly what I feel. Under different circumstances, when Marvel isn't arbitrarily changing all their characters for seemingly no reason, I would give this a go. As it stands, I'm simply not interested. Which is a shame, for the bolded reason. I love the idea of Pak back on Hulk.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@theacidskull said:

The bolded is exactly what I feel. Under different circumstances, when Marvel isn't arbitrarily changing all their characters for seemingly no reason, I would give this a go. As it stands, I'm simply not interested. Which is a shame, for the bolded reason. I love the idea of Pak back on Hulk.

Right? it's like this itch I won't be able to get out of my head. We could have had Pak and Cho on The Hulk, which would have been a fantastic creative team, but no, for the sake of change and false diversity, this is what we get instead.

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I much rather prefer bruce banner/hulk. I always loved the whole Jekyll and Hyde aspect

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CurrentThor2015

@farkam: Remember kids, not liking something that has a non white person makes you racist! And I'm sure I'll get a "It's just a joke!" response to this that everyone uses as a cop out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: Remember kids, not liking something that has a non white person makes you racist! And I'm sure I'll get a "It's just a joke!" response to this that everyone uses as a cop out.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e1000: agreed. I think cho has amazing talent but he should put amadaeus in a thong on a cover just to redeem himself and show some gender equality when it comes to exploitation.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

This.

I can only hope that the series will at least be highly entertaining and add more to Hulk mythos. At the very least, it should be superior to any of the Hulk comics that have been forced upon us since Pak's departure after the finale of Heart of the Monster.

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, i burst into laugh when i see this new hulk. It seems he has returned from a meditation camp, lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.