Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Why Was Green Lantern Movie Hated So Much?

• 70 results
    lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lorbo

I know little of Green Lantern. I have only seen him in the superman animated series. Didn't particularly care for him then.

But it seems everyone here almost hated the movie. So I just wanted to know, what made it so bad for a comic book movie? Weren't the special effects at least good? Usually they directors can get that right if nothing else.

I have not seen it, should I? I have seen "Skyline", and in spite of people bashing it, I thought it was more realistic than "Independence day", and overall a better movie.

No Caption Provided
    .Ajax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By .Ajax.

I just thought it sucked. The CGI suit I thought was a great idea, but it was poorly executed. I'm also not a fan of Ryan Reynolds...especially as Hal Jordan.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spinningbirdcake

They managed to make an intergalactic cop with the ability to create things with his imagination and will boring. Parallax, the villain, was realized in a horrible way, much like Galactus was in the 2nd Fantastic Four movie, and Ryan Reynolds was not a very good Hal Jordan.

.Ajax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By .Ajax.

@spinningbirdcake

I forgot to add what you just said as well. You would think Green Lantern of all characters would be extremely exciting but it just wasn't. Not to mention Green Lantern is my favourite character...it was just a huge let down.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AtPhantom

Both villains were extraordinarily terrible.

Mr_Hudson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mr_Hudson

Because most people found it terrible. Myself included.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
    deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Parallax's appearance

Incoming!!
    Incoming!!
    No Caption Provided
    agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By agent9149

It had three plots loosely held together.

The visuals were ugly.

Ryan Reynolds was a horrible Hal Jordan.

It was just a manchild trying to save the day.

The original script was superb.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolfrazer

In the end, only you can decide what movies are good and which are bad for you personally. You can't go off of what other people say, because your not wired the same as them. If everyone was wired the same, then there would just be a handful of movies made and watched and thats it.

spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spinningbirdcake

@joeagentofhand1 said:

Parallax's appearance

Incoming!!
    Incoming!!
    No Caption Provided

He looks like a Dragon in that first picture, and a cloud with a head in the second.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By JamesKM716

I liked the movie, I though Ryan Reynolds was a great Green Lantern, especially as Hal Jordan.

My only complaint was the final fight was terrible. Parralax gets hyped the whole movie, and is then defeated in five minutes? That's stupid.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#12  Edited By TheCannon

@spinningbirdcake said:

They managed to make an intergalactic cop with the ability to create things with his imagination and will boring. Parallax, the villain, was realized in a horrible way, much like Galactus was in the 2nd Fantastic Four movie, and Ryan Reynolds was not a very good Hal Jordan.

This, except for Reynolds not being a good Hal. I though he was great.

Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Praetor_fenix

It was pretty boring, besides Sinestro was pretty much the only likable character. All the other CGI Characters were petty parodies of themselves and live action ones were terribly played by terrible actors.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

They made a promise instead of a Green Lantern movie, that is why.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Agent9149 said:

It had three plots loosely held together.

The visuals were ugly.

Ryan Reynolds was a horrible Hal Jordan.

It was just a manchild trying to save the day.

The original script was superb.

Pretty much, and Hector Hammond was completely useless in the movie and his inclusion just felt forced.
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spinningbirdcake

@TheCannon: The movie not being good didn't help his performance any. The main problems were the plot and villian. I also would have liked to see the "Corps" aspect of the movie be featured. It would have been nice to see Kilowog, Sinestro and the others fighting along side Hal.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@TheCannon said:

@spinningbirdcake said:

This, except for Reynolds not being a good Hal. I though he was great.

this, parallax would have been way cooler as a dragonthing, and the suit was pretty cool but i hated the cheesy cgi mask. a longer fight would have been better too. i like Hal and i hope theres a GL2 about sinestro corps war.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#18  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

They turned Parallax (a visually spectacular villain) into space dookie. yellow and brown. talking. space dookie.

Not enough focus on Hal's time with the corps, they had Hal quit for a dumb ass reason.in the comic he retired for a brief time for love, but in the movie he quit because Sinestro was picking on him? WTF!!!! The Hal Jordan we know would have got in the red faced sunuvabitch's face. and Sinestro didnt train Hal.......at all. He picked on him for five seconds and then giggled like bitch when Ky....i mean uggggh...H-Ha-.....- Hal quit.

Hector Hammond being included was one of the worst things ever.......i mean really? out of ALL the villains you could have had in the first movie (Legion, Atrocitus,etc) you went with a watered down version of Hal's lamest villain. and tying him to Parallax? really now.

Not to mention most of the acting choices were horrible. Ryan has the skill to be a good Hal Jordan but he wasn't given a Hal Jordan script. he was given a watered down Kyle Rayner script.

TheMadMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheMadMarvel

The woman playing Carol Ferris couldn't act. Parallax looked like vomit. The finale between Hal and Parallax was lazy.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#20  Edited By MatKrenz

The movie was really, really mediocre. It did the concepts okay but not spectacularly, which is worse because of how Johns revitalized the series in so little time. Also as some other posted the plot was bare bones and the CGI was kinda bad all over the place.

The big reason I hate the movie is because if it good, if it made gangbusters at the box office we would probably have more head way fro Wonder Woman and Flash and any other DC property that deserve a movie. But that didn't happen and we have to wait god knows how long for those.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an all right movie, but I never cared for Green Lantern.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By umbrafeline

my mutant powers told me that this was going to be a huge letdown

reasons

1. ryan reynolds
    2. crappy cgi animation
    3. that lady from that crappy mtv soap opera
    4. etc...
    Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Xanni15

I thought it was pretty awesome, except for Hector, he was hilariously bad. RR did a great job as Hal and showed a lot of character growth through the movie. Hopefully a sequel is made.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Xanni15

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Not enough focus on Hal's time with the corps, they had Hal quit for a dumb ass reason.in the comic he retired for a brief time for love, but in the movie he quit because Sinestro was picking on him? WTF!!!! The Hal Jordan we know would have got in the red faced sunuvabitch's face. and Sinestro didnt train Hal.......at all. He picked on him for five seconds and then giggled like bitch when Ky....i mean uggggh...H-Ha-.....- Hal quit.

Hal didn't really quit, he was the only one in the entire movie to never give up. Sinestro and even the Guardians were scared of Parallax. Hal was the only one to accept and overcome his fear. Plus it was a good thing he "quit" because he saved various important people back on Earth that would have died, not to mention gave him a reason to go on.

If anyone wasn't written properly it was Sinestro, dude couldn't have been any more of a coward.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Hal didn't really quit, he was the only one in the entire movie to never give up. Sinestro and even the Guardians were scared of Parallax. Hal was the only one to accept and overcome his fear. Plus it was a good thing he "quit" because he saved various important people back on Earth that would have died, not to mention gave him a reason to go on.

If anyone wasn't written properly it was Sinestro, dude couldn't have been any more of a coward.

he said several times that he quit. him still having the ring makes absolutely no sense because he wouldn't have been allowed to leave oa with it. he didn't intend to go back and help until Carol talked him into of it. also Sinestro didn't give up, he simply suggested a new plan of attack.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Agent Buttons

It was incredibly dull. Just like DKR.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KnightRise

The movie sucked, but Sinestro was awesome. I actually liked the luminescent bio-organic suit. Its not like ancient alien rings would form spandex and leather, and metallic armor would'nt have worked well IMO.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Xanni15

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

he said several times that he quit. him still having the ring makes absolutely no sense because he wouldn't have been allowed to leave oa with it. he didn't intend to go back and help until Carol talked him into of it. also Sinestro didn't give up, he simply suggested a new plan of attack.

Oh, come on. It was your basic "I'm not good enough" moment where the character is in the dumps before elevating himself back up. Hal needed to be brought down a peg or two, plus Sinestro wasn't helping him.

Sinestro did give up, he believed only Abin Sur was strong enough, and he certainly was scared when his group of Lanterns was owned. Heroes don't go to the dark side, the fight for the light.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Oh, come on. It was your basic "I'm not good enough" moment where the character is in the dumps before elevating himself back up. Hal needed to be brought down a peg or two, plus Sinestro wasn't helping him.

Sinestro did give up, he believed only Abin Sur was strong enough, and he certainly was scared when his group of Lanterns was owned. Heroes don't go to the dark side, the fight for the light.

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Not in Hal Jordan's character. he might beat himself but he sure as hell wouldnt have gone home crying, I quit.

He was scared but he didnt leave crying. He thought it was possible to control the yellow light. He refused to abandon the guardians as well, if i recall correctly.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Xanni15

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Not in Hal Jordan's character. he might beat himself but he sure as hell wouldnt have gone home crying, I quit.

He was scared but he didnt leave crying. He thought it was possible to control the yellow light. He refused to abandon the guardians as well, if i recall correctly.

If that's your biggest complaint then I'd say it's a small one. Studio's and writers have creative control over a character, and they have to go through an arc. Hal Jordan can't be perfect, he has to be relateable.

Betraying the Light and trying to use others fear as power is essentially giving up, and a sign of weakness. The Guardians were cowards and messed up as well, not even bothering to fight or help Hal.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

If that's your biggest complaint then I'd say it's a small one. Studio's and writers have creative control over a character, and they have to go through an arc. Hal Jordan can't be perfect, he has to be relateable.

Trying harder and not being a crybaby isnt relatable? Im not saying he cant be afraid or show fear but to just run home crying is way too much.

Betraying the Light and trying to use others fear as power is essentially giving up, and a sign of weakness. The Guardians were cowards and messed up as well, not even bothering to fight or help Hal.

i can see your point i suppose. still,its hard to fault him. It still feels like he tried harder than Hal did for the vast majority of the movie.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Xanni15

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Trying harder and not being a crybaby isnt relatable? Im not saying he cant be afraid or show fear but to just run home crying is way too much.

i can see your point i suppose. still,its hard to fault him. It still feels like he tried harder than Hal did for the vast majority of the movie.

I think you're making it seem like Hal went all emo, when what he really did was except the gravity of the situation. Sinestro was a complete @sshole who didn't help Hal at all, but instead had everyone against him from the start because Abin's ring chose Hal and Sinestro was butthurt over that. If nobody wanted Hal there, and if he had a life back on Earth, is returning there really giving up? From Hal's POV Sinestro and everyone else had things under control.

"I'm a Green Lantern, I fear nothing" -Sinestro

I get what you're saying, but I feel like Sinestro was a veteran GL who should know better, and of course should be a better fighter.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

I think you're making it seem like Hal went all emo, when what he really did was except the gravity of the situation.

He could have accepted the gravity of the situation and stayed to complete his training. instead he got beat by soeone who ould obviously beat him, threw a fit and ran home

Sinestro was a complete @sshole who didn't help Hal at all, but instead had everyone against him from the start because Abin's ring chose Hal and Sinestro was butthurt over that.

no argument there. but Kilowog and Sinestro were only Green Lanterns who actually did anything to him. and even Kilowog sucked it up and did his job (he is a drill seargent after all)

If nobody wanted Hal there, and if he had a life back on Earth, is returning there really giving up?

Yes. Yes it is. obviously Hal thought so too when he said i quit. no one was asking him to fight Parallax at the time, his only obligtion at the time was to finish his training and he quit.

From Hal's POV Sinestro and everyone else had things under control.

"I'm a Green Lantern, I fear nothing" -Sinestro

I get what you're saying, but I feel like Sinestro was a veteran GL who should know better, and of course should be a better fighter.

none of the GL's were portrayed as good fighters in that movie. It was an utter crapfest.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By the_tree
    • Effects sucked.
    • Movie was poorly directed.
    • Original script was butchered.
    • Not enough time and training in space.
    • Introduced too big of an enemy (Parallax) for an origin movie.
    • Hector Hammond was a joke.
    • The movie didn't really feel like it took itself seriously.
    • The movie just sucked in general.
    Bushwhacker_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Bushwhacker_

1. Crappy CGI. I mean everything from GL's suit to that helicopter crashing looked horrible.

2. Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan. Ryan Reynolds is horrible. He is only decent, and I mean DECENT, in comedies.

3. Stupid storyline.

4. Ryan Reynolds.

kingsloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kingsloth

@spinningbirdcake said:

this is pretty much on point. Ryan Reynolds was a horrible casting choice.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Xanni15

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

He could have accepted the gravity of the situation and stayed to complete his training. instead he got beat by soeone who ould obviously beat him, threw a fit and ran home

In hindsight, did Hal's lack of training matter? Nope, he still accomplished what no other Lantern could. He had to grow as a character, plus if he had stayed Carol, Robert Hammond, and loads of others would have died.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Sinestro was a complete @sshole who didn't help Hal at all, but instead had everyone against him from the start because Abin's ring chose Hal and Sinestro was butthurt over that.

no argument there. but Kilowog and Sinestro were only Green Lanterns who actually did anything to him. and even Kilowog sucked it up and did his job (he is a drill seargent after all)

Kilowog didn't make it personal like Sinestro did, who dare I say even might have Xenophobic towards Hal with all his "human this and human that" when that human saved everyone. Killowog was there to do his job.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

If nobody wanted Hal there, and if he had a life back on Earth, is returning there really giving up?

Yes. Yes it is. obviously Hal thought so too when he said i quit. no one was asking him to fight Parallax at the time, his only obligtion at the time was to finish his training and he quit.

Hal was depressed, Sinestro really tore him a new one and went over the line.Plus Hal's entire character consistently doubted himself throughout the movie. He had no obligation to the Core, the ring chose him, not the other way around, plus I would argue that Sinestro's commitment>Hal's commitment.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

none of the GL's were portrayed as good fighters in that movie. It was an utter crapfest.

It was an intro movie, the story was more important than fighting. Plus Hal used his intelligence whereas everyone else was using force.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ssejllenrad
    1. Stupid CGI, like the crappy effects from Superman Returns.
    2. Didn't mind the "cloud" Parallax. But it should have been an entity that possessed someone. Say Sinestro to explain him being turned into a villain. Instead they gave us a watered-down Krona. And getting killed by the sun? Dafuq?!?!? That guy was supposed to be among the strongest beings in the universe. Yes, I understand movie versions must be nerfed. But that was tooooooooooooooooo much.
    3. Acting and Casting. People always complain about Ryan as Hal. But he was ok for me. Mild-humour aside, Hal was supposed to be this rebellious hotshot and Ryan did a decent job at that. But Carroll Ferris... Ugggh! That zombie-esque acting. Ugggh!
    4. "Grounded"... It was too "earthy". GL was supposed to be a cosmic cop... Not saving a black-tie affair from a goddamn rogue helicopter.
    ChaosBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ChaosBlazer

didn't develop GL as a character really, it was extremely cheesy as well (n00b GL defeating something that defeated and killed tons of way more experienced Gl's? not heroic or cool, just extremely cheesy and stupid), Parallax was a terrible portrayal, and also about that... they whipped out Hal Jordan's biggest enemy (well, the GL's biggest enemy) right off the bat, which is idiotic in any superhero movie, because after they do that they always have to somehow top that, by making the villain bigger and more powerful (which is even more cheesy and idiotic, look at Transformers for example).... And they also whipped out a lame-ass version of Hammond, which is one of Hal's most pathetic enemies.... its like pulling out Doc Ock and Boomerang, tying them together in some moronic, cheesy way and pitting them against a Spiderman who has had his powers for a week or so, and after some training (beating up Crusher Hogan) he magically defeats Ock and Boomerang.

Oh yeah, and Hal Jordan was a whiny little beotch who needed to grow a pair and stop crying when Sinestro was mean to him. He was literally the least heroic portrayal of a superhero on the big screen I have ever seen. Ryan Reynolds was not a good choice and whoever wrote the script was also a bad choice.

In my mind, the first GL movie would be about Hal learning to use his new powers (hint: training a couple of times with some other GL's does not count as experience, and defeating Parallax right off the bat using some cheesy-ass plot device? Moronic) and making a choice to become a hero (and not in some cheesy-ass scene with some chick, I mean a real, life changing moment in the movie where he looks at his past and maybe gradually decides to become the hero he needs to be)...

Anyways the Green Lantern movie suffered from a hell of alot of mistakes. The directors thought some cool CGI effects and a cheesy cliche plot could make them money, (well it made them 19 million bucks in profit but thats not that much for a 200 million budget) but it failed to make a good movie. Anyways if you can find the most common adjective above, you'll find that I find this movie extremely cheesy and stupid. Definitely failed to meet my expectations and I really hope that next time (if there is one in the next decade or so) whoever owns the rights to GL does a more acceptable job. Seriously, this movie sucks.

Did I mention?

SO CHEESY

ChaosBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ChaosBlazer

@The_Tree said:

• Effects sucked.
    • Movie was poorly directed.
    • Original script was butchered.
    • Not enough time and training in space.
    • Introduced too big of an enemy (Parallax) for an origin movie.
    • Hector Hammond was a joke.
    • The movie didn't really feel like it took itself seriously.
    • The movie just sucked in general.

agree completely

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    Ryan portrayal of Hal felt more Kyle Raynerish. The movie felt rush. I don't know if it was. Like his training.... ended before it really started. Too many villains... always a bad idea. It was just.... ehhhh For me. (+)
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

In hindsight, did Hal's lack of training matter? Nope, he still accomplished what no other Lantern could. He had to grow as a character, plus if he had stayed Carol, Robert Hammond, and loads of others would have died.

He didnt know that therefore its irrelevant. He didnt go back to save them. he went back to escape something hard. he was still being a whiny coward.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Kilowog didn't make it personal like Sinestro did, who dare I say even might have Xenophobic towards Hal with all his "human this and human that" when that human saved everyone. Killowog was there to do his job.

thats almost exactly what i just said and only proves my point. are you even listening anymore?

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Hal was depressed, Sinestro really tore him a new one and went over the line.Plus Hal's entire character consistently doubted himself throughout the movie. He had no obligation to the Core, the ring chose him, not the other way around, plus I would argue that Sinestro's commitment>Hal's commitment.

Hal kept the ring therefore he had an obligation to finish his training. He should have given it up the second he quit. Sinestro's commitment is not relevant. just because Sinestro gave up later on doesn't excuse Hal doing it.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

It was an intro movie, the story was more important than fighting. Plus Hal used his intelligence whereas everyone else was using force.

and the story was horrible. if they wanted a Kyle Rayner story they should have just used Kyle Rayner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No idea, but I would've thought huge amounts of people would flock to the movies to see it just cuz GL was written on it. Guess he isn't as popular as I thought he was o.o

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Xanni15

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

He didnt know that therefore its irrelevant. He didnt go back to save them. he went back to escape something hard. he was still being a whiny coward.

It's not irrelevant we have the luxury of hindsight and can use it to see a different view. Hal chose to leave Oa, but kept the Ring, thus he was still a GL, especially since Sinestro and others were so scared that they were looking for other means to win. Hal's a coward IYO but Sinestro was running scared to Yellow because he was at his wits end, yet a rookie GL defeats who he can't.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

thats almost exactly what i just said and only proves my point. are you even listening anymore?

No, it's not. You're saying "Hal was a coward cause Sinestro made fun of him" when both Kilowog and Sinestro didn't treat Hal the same, Kilowog trained him and Sinestro insulted him. Not the same. Maybe you should get some rest, getting a little testy.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Hal kept the ring therefore he had an obligation to finish his training. He should have given it up the second he quit. Sinestro's commitment is not relevant. just because Sinestro gave up later on doesn't excuse Hal doing it.

I suppose he was just going to walk back to Earth without the Ring? Hal didn't quit so why would he give up the Ring? It chose him, and as was stated in the film the Ring never makes a mistake. Hal was just going through a tough time. Sinestro should have set an example, except he was so shook by Parallax, and Abin's death he took it out on Hal. Hal was arguably the most powerful GL at the end of the movie (maybe not saying much) so Sinestro almost lost that.

This all also not even taking into account that Hal needed to have a character arc, which he did.

ThePRez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#45  Edited By ThePRez

bad script bad CGI lame villands and worse use of sinestro

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WARLOCK2792

The visuals were actually impressive.....the thing is, they had ugly designs all around, so you couldn't enjoy them to the fullest.

Ryan Reynolds wasn't likable

The "imagination" powers were childish, and ill-thought out

The changes to the costume were unwarranted (he's naked, and he's wearing contacts). They should've stuck to the actual design

I get it, Ryan Reynolds has abs.....NEXT?

Angela Bassett deserved more than what she got, and so did her character

The movie was all over the place

None of the villains made an impression that was actually good

All of the other lanterns were punka$$es, and Ryan won that fight ALL BY HIMSELF........which is some silly PIS bull

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

It's not irrelevant we have the luxury of hindsight and can use it to see a different view. Hal chose to leave Oa, but kept the Ring, thus he was still a GL, especially since Sinestro and others were so scared that they were looking for other means to win. Hal's a coward IYO but Sinestro was running scared to Yellow because he was at his wits end, yet a rookie GL defeats who he can't.

and once again your using one persons mistakes to justify anothers and that doesnt fly. ive conceded that Sinestro gave up but i dont see how that justifys Hal's actions.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

No, it's not. You're saying "Hal was a coward cause Sinestro made fun of him" when both Kilowog and Sinestro didn't treat Hal the same, Kilowog trained him and Sinestro insulted him. Not the same. Maybe you should get some rest, getting a little testy.

Last i checked Kilowog said that humans wee self centered and that they thought they were the center of the universe. i would qualify that as an insult.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

I suppose he was just going to walk back to Earth without the Ring? Hal didn't quit so why would he give up the Ring? It chose him, and as was stated in the film the Ring never makes a mistake. Hal was just going through a tough time. Sinestro should have set an example, except he was so shook by Parallax, and Abin's death he took it out on Hal. Hal was arguably the most powerful GL at the end of the movie (maybe not saying much) so Sinestro almost lost that.

This all also not even taking into account that Hal needed to have a character arc, which he did.

They have transports like the kind in First Flight when Hal got kicked out of the Corps. Hal said I quit. when Carol talked to him about being a GL Hal speciffically he quit which is why she got was disappointed in him. he essentially quit the corps and stole a GL ring. im not against Hal having a character arc, i would just like one that displays his actual character. I understand that Hal was going through a tough time but he doesnt mean he didnt quit.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Xanni15

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

and once again your using one persons mistakes to justify anothers and that doesnt fly. ive conceded that Sinestro gave up but i dont see how that justifys Hal's actions.

Because he can't be Mr. Cocky and perfect the entire movie, he has to be down before he can pick himself up, his character has to be relateable. There's very few people who would just soldier on after being insulted as harshly as Hal was, he had issues and worked through them.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Last i checked Kilowog said that humans wee self centered and that they thought they were the center of the universe. i would qualify that as an insult.

I would suggest watching that scene again. Yes, Kilowog does say that, but watch what happens after he does. He proceeds to teach and train Hal (tough but fair), not sit there and rant about how Abin will never be replaced, and that nobody is worthy of Abin's ring, and how Abin was the best of them all, that Lantern's never show fear. The Ring chose Hal, apparently Sinestro believes he knows more than the ring, when clearly he didn't.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

They have transports like the kind in First Flight when Hal got kicked out of the Corps. Hal said I quit. when Carol talked to him about being a GL Hal speciffically he quit which is why she got was disappointed in him. he essentially quit the corps and stole a GL ring. im not against Hal having a character arc, i would just like one that displays his actual character. I understand that Hal was going through a tough time but he doesnt mean he didnt quit.

But not in the Green Lantern movie, I don't believe the other Lanterns would have allowed Hal to leave if they thought he wasn't coming back. I'm not totally sure but perhaps Parallax was already on his way to Earth around then? Maybe not.

" I'm done. He's right, I'm only human. We're not ready to defend the universe. Up until a few days ago, we thought we were the only ones IN the universe."

Sounds like Hal was just doubting himself, and that's perfectly reasonable considering humans had no idea there was alien life out there. Should Hal have stood up to Sinestro more, sure, but more than anything Hal's confidence needed to be repaired, and it was later.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@Yung ANcient One said:

Ryan portrayal of Hal felt more Kyle Raynerish. The movie felt rush. I don't know if it was. Like his training.... ended before it really started. Too many villains... always a bad idea. It was just.... ehhhh For me. (+)

I agree with this.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Because he can't be Mr. Cocky and perfect the entire movie, he has to be down before he can pick himself up, his character has to be relateable. There's very few people who would just soldier on after being insulted as harshly as Hal was, he had issues and worked through them.

No ones asking him to be cocky and perfect, they're asking him not be be a quitter. Hal doubted himself a great deal of (have you read Dennis O'neil's GL series) times in the comics but he still kept at it. its not called being perfect.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

I would suggest watching that scene again. Yes, Kilowog does say that, but watch what happens after he does. He proceeds to teach and train Hal (tough but fair), not sit there and rant about how Abin will never be replaced, and that nobody is worthy of Abin's ring, and how Abin was the best of them all, that Lantern's never show fear. The Ring chose Hal, apparently Sinestro believes he knows more than the ring, when clearly he didn't.

i know what happened in the scene. my comment stands. i even said quite plainly in the original comment that Kilowog "sucked it up and did his job" which you either actively ignored or didnt process.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

But not in the Green Lantern movie, I don't believe the other Lanterns would have allowed Hal to leave if they thought he wasn't coming back. I'm not totally sure but perhaps Parallax was already on his way to Earth around then? Maybe not.

Its called a plot hole. Pure and simple.

" I'm done. He's right, I'm only human. We're not ready to defend the universe. Up until a few days ago, we thought we were the only ones IN the universe."

Sounds like Hal was just doubting himself, and that's perfectly reasonable considering humans had no idea there was alien life out there. Should Hal have stood up to Sinestro more, sure, but more than anything Hal's confidence needed to be repaired, and it was later.

still quitting. if you take a test, leave in the middle because its too hard then still considered quitting. even if you have a talk with your mommy (or Carol in this case) and decided to try again.

it sounds like we should just agree to disagree.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.