Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Question about a starting point.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Now that Johns's run is coming to an end, I'd like to start reading Green Lantern... I just have no idea where to begin. After having read and reread Morrison's JLA run, I've become a huge fan of Kyle Rayner. JL/JLU has gotten me interested in wanting to learn more about John Stewart, and the small bits I've read of JLI has me interested in Guy Gardner. So, without going way far back to the Silver/Bronze Age, is there a suitable starting point/reading list to get a good scope on the four earth GL's? Would I benefit from anything prior to Johns's run, or does he cover everything about the other earth GL's worth knowing?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

Bump

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SmashBrawler

Essential reading is in bold

1. Green Lantern: Rebirth
    2. Green Lantern: No Fear
    3. Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
    4. Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns
    5. Green Lantern Corps: To Be a Lantern
    6. Green Lantern: Wanted: Hal Jordan
    7. Ion Vol. 1: The Torchbearer
    8. Green Lantern Corps: Dark Side of the Green
    9. Ion Vol. 2: The Dying Flame
    10. Sinestro Corps War
    11. Green Lantern Corps: Ring Quest
    12. Green Lantern: Secret Origin
    13. Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns
    14. Green Lantern Corps: Sins of the Star Sapphire
    15. Green Lantern: Agent Orange
    16. Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse
    17. Blackest Night/Blackest Night: Green Lantern/Blackest Night: Green Lantern Corps
    18. Green Lantern Corps: Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns
    19. Brightest Day: Green Lantern
    20. Green Lantern Corps: The Weaponer
    21. Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors
    22. War of the Green Lanterns
    23. Green Lantern Vol. 1: Sinestro
    24. Green Lantern Corps Vol. 1: Fearsome
    25. Green Lantern: New Guardians Vol. 1: The Ring Bearer
    26. Red Lanterns Vol. 1: Blood and Rage
    27. The rest of the New 52 stuff

But since you wanted to read about all 4 Lanterns, stuff like GLC, Ion, Emerald Warriors and New Guardians is essential as well. Some other recommendations:

• Emerald Dawn I & II
    • Green Lantern/Green Arrow
    • Willworld
    • Ganthet's Tale
    • Alan Moore's stories

There were also some TPBs for Kyle's era but they're veeery hard to find nowadays. You may have better luck in Comixology for those.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sinestro_GL

@gambit1024: Well, I guess starting at the beginning of Johns' run would be the intuitive place to start...but there's several things you actually need to know before you do that even. The reason why I say that is because the aftermath of Superman's death and return play a vital role in that first arc of Johns.

So I guess, the most logical step would be Green Lantern: Secret Origin.

Without having to go into the silver/bronze age stuff, and if you really have the time, Emerald Twilight is maybe where to go after that - that's where Kyle was introduced.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.