Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2502 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Is GLC (Pre New 52 & Post) Worth the Read?

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello Lantern Lovers,

About three months ago I started reading Geoff John's GL run and I have nearly completed the collection. I have the following:

GL: Rebirth

GL: Sinestro Corps War

GL: Rage of the Red Lanterns

GL: Agent Orange

GL: Blackest Night (core issues)

GL: Blackest Night (GL)

GL: Brightest Day

GL: War of the Green Lanterns

GL: Sinestro

GL: Revenge of Black Hand

GL: Rise of the Third Army

GL: Wrath of the First Lantern

As you can see, I do not own any GLC issues, and I was wondering if they are worth the read. I do not have GL: No Fear and GL: Hal Jordon-Wanted because I heard they were not very good. If the GLC issues are worth it, let me know and which ones specifically. Thanks! Happy posting!

mp13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You also forgot GL: Revenge of the Green Lanterns and Secret Origin, which, like no fear and wanted, are good and kinda necessary to understand everything in the Geoff John's series. To be honest, GL: Revenge of the Green Lanterns is a really good story and includes awesome team-ups, and Secret Origin, in my opinion, is basically the best Hal Jordan Origin ever and connects heavily to the Rage of the Red Lanterns book (read before it, between sinestro corps and rage of the red lanterns). If you want to save yourself a bunch of money, I would say you should just buy the three omnibuses (the third one is not out yet). While I have read most of GLC, I would say you should definitely read it if you are interested in Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner. They are good stories and at times connects to the main GL stuff, you know, mostly the events (sinestro corps war, blackest night, war of the green lanterns and rise/wrath). Also, if you really want to get into green lantern stuff and you're up for some really good comics, read GL: Emerald Warriors and the GL: New Guardians series, which are also about Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner and help make the events so much more amazing.

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m12: Thanks for the reply! I have read Secret Origin, as well as GL: New Guardians; I have read vol 1 and 2, but I have Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern so I believe those collect most of vol 3 and 4 for that series. I have wanted to read GL: Emerald Warriors, but I heard it wasn't very good. Also, do you own any of the omnibuses? I do not have those because I don't know if I would like to read something so large; I recently watched some videos reviewing omnibus vol 1 and 2 and the reviewer said the binding is poor on those particular omnibuses so that discouraged me.

mp13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mp13

To be honest, I haven't actually seen a physical copy of the omnibuses, but, after buying all the volumes separately (which costed a lot of money) and reading other omnibuses and collections, I would still side with the omnibuses. I don't know if every omnibus has poor binding, like some books may have better binding than others, depends on where you buy it from, for example, books that I have bought from a comic book store have been better handled and have better quality than books from barns and noble. I wouldn't worry about the size though, between the omnibuses and the individual books, I would guess the omnibuses are smaller and more compact, while still containing the same content and freeing a lot of bookshelf space. If you don't like how big the book itself is, I would still buy it solely for the costs and how compact it is. Also, good idea buying Third Army and Wrath. They're cheaper than separate volumes and have even more "extra features" (character and cover designs), however, Third Army does not include the issue 0 of GL: New Guardians, which is pretty important to the overall story of the series. I would recommend you just buy the issue or find it online. Also, I would also recommend Emerald Warriors if you liked how Peter J Tomasi wrote Guy Gardner in War of the Green Lanterns. Its fun, well written and drawn, but the story is kinda cut off and has kind of an open ending

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.