Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2375 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

How Does The Green Lantern Movie Differ From The Comics?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

We've been charging our batteries for years and, now, the GREEN LANTERN movie's finally giving us a release. How strictly does it adhere to the comics then, now that we get to see it full?

SPOILER WARNING: If you read this before seeing the movie and subsequently complain about getting spoiled, you absolutely deserve to be imprisoned in the tightest, most cramped Science Cell imaginable.

No Caption Provided

Now prepare yourself to see how different the movie was from the comic despite heavy involvement between DC Comics and Warner Bros. We'll see which changes were for the better and which ones fell flat.

== TEASER ==

PARALLAX

Parallax
    Parallax

Parallax seems to have effectively been amalgamated with the villains Legion (who’s currently been written out of continuity) and Krona, the rogue Oan who’s presently bedeviling almost everybody associated with the emotional spectrum in WAR OF THE GREEN LANTERNS. In the comics, Krona defies the rules of science by constructing a machine that allows him to view the DC universe's creation. Doing so exposes him to forbidden knowledge and unleashes a terrible calamity that creates the Multiverse and inspires the Guardians of the Universe to create the Green Lantern Corps (after they turn him into energy and send him into exile, of course.) Parallax, on the other hand, is a primordial entity of fear; a yellow, insectile parasite who’s possessed hosts like Hal Jordan and turned them into raging madmen. And Legion? He's a yellow, brutish monster whose mind is comprised of the collective conscious of the evil, insectile Tchk-Tchk race who were decimated by the Guardians.

Krona
    Krona

The Parallax of the movie begins as unnamed Guardian who, like Krona, defies the wishes of his peers by seeking forbidden knowledge - - in this case, it’s within a yellow core of fear. He’s exiled and transformed into a being of energy, too, but it's the yellow fear energy that's the comics’ Parallax’s domain. His influence corrupts others with fear, but it’s Hector Hammond whom he corrupts here through viral means instead of through a parasite/host relationship. While still monstrous, this Parallax resembles a mutated Guardian like Scar rather than snarling creature of the comics. Interestingly, while Krona destroys whole universes, this villain’s rampage is on a smaller scale - - he destroys planets. Movie Parallax also metaphorically resembles Legion for how the wall of agonized faces in his body looks like a hive mind. Additionally, he serves Legion’s role in the origin by being the monster to mortally wound Abin Sur after killing several other Lanterns single-handedly. Finally, the linking of Sinestro’s power ring to this Parallax and the Gaurdians has been streamlined from the comics, which had the Weaponers of Qward involved.

ABIN SUR'S DEATH

Legion
    Legion

Hal Jordan’s predecessor succumbs to fear in a much more literal way in the movie than he did in the comics. In the short story, “Tygers,” it’s revealed that Sur’s death was partly caused by doubts sewn in him during a mission on the hellish alien planet, Ysmault. The demon, Qull, gave the prophecy of the Blackest Night to Sur, stating that his ring would one day fail him at fatal moment and that his successor would surpass him in greatness. Obsessed, Sur periodically returned to Ysmault and even took Qull’s fellow demon, Atrocitus, on a flight to Earth for furthering questioning about the prophecy. Relying on a ship for travel over his power ring made him vulnerable to conditions in our solar system and Atrocitus' recitation of the prophecy weakened Sur’s will enough for the demon to mortally wound him right before the crash. Those details are taken from SECRET ORIGIN (which is currently in-continuity) while all the details regarding Legion are from EMERALD DAWN (which is currently out of continuity.)

There’s no mention of Ysmault, Atrocitus or anything pertaining to the Blackest Night prophecy in the movie, but Sur still dies as a result of fear - - this time, in the personified form of Parallax.

Sur’s physical resemblance to Sinestro in the film also hold some significance. The two are actually brothers-in-law in the comics; a fact that, though unstated, gives a greater context to their relationship.

HAL’S ORIGIN

No Caption Provided

The only significant difference to Hal’s origin is that he’s pulled directly to Abin Sur by the ring while he's at a bar some time after crashing a Ferris Aircraft jet and getting fired. In the comics, he’s taken while in the middle of piloting a Ferris Aircraft flight simulator in the desert and it’s stressed that proximity factors into his selection, as later Lantern Guy Gardner would’ve been selected if he were closer. Though we only get a couple sly hints that Carol Ferris will eventually become Star Sapphire, Hal's relationship with her is basically the same. His friendship with Tom Kalmaku is largely the same, too, although Tom’s been promoted from a ship mechanic to tech engineer at Ferris (and he’s never once referred to as “Pieface” (because such a nickname definitely doesn’t jive with modern sensibilities.) Finally, the portion concerning his training as a Lantern corresponds pretty well to the events in EMERALD DAWN, right down to him receiving personal instruction from Sinestro, Kilowog and Tomar Re.

These were the big differences. What other differences did you notice? Which ones did you prefer and which ones did you wish never happened?

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#1  Edited By CrimsonTempest

I would've actually preferred that Atrocitus would've been the villain in the movie. It would have made more sense than just shoe-horning Parallax with little to no explanation.

skillin villin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By skillin villin

agreed

SQReview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 152

#3  Edited By SQReview

I agree with CrimsonTempest. Atrocitus is a character who has helped center the Green Lantern mythos together. It would have been a much better movie if it were based more around Secret Origin, where Hal and Sinestro are partners and he has to gradually learn the finer points of being a Lantern.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By _Zombie_

My biggest thing against this film is I'm not a huge fan of Hal.  I've always been a bigger fan of Kyle Rayner.  Now, eventually if they do a film on Blackest Night, I'll be happy.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I felt like they took key pieces of Green Lantern mythos and sewed them into a different form for a different audience. I liked the new take on the characters. That's what I feel a movie should be, not just a rehashing of what we comic fans already know, it should be able to take us by surprise. 

Hal's origin worked pretty well, all the key elements were there, just rearranged in a slightly different order that frankly made more sense. I feel like if Hal had crashed into Abin Sur on the spot after his crash, it would lead into some awkward places, and the way they did it here flowed better. 

The one change that disappoint me was that The Wall was decidedly un-Wall-like. She could've been pretty much any DC scientist and it wouldn't have made a difference, she just didn't display any of The Wall's personality traits.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#6  Edited By The Impersonator
    @CrimsonTempest: I agree with you. Atrocitus should have been the villain. Parallax was shown too early in the first movie.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I saw the Krona reference immediately.  Legion though totally skipped over me until I started to read this and remembered Emerald Dawn. Wow. Nice!

jcj145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By jcj145

This movies hasn't been getting a lot of good reviews but I really enjoyed, one of my favorite movies of the summer so far actually. Now I've always been a Marvel guy and not a DC and I know the basics of of Hal and Green Lantern probably the equivalent of someone who doesn't read comics knowledge of Batman and Supermans' origins. That being said I loved the movie, hope the do follow through an make a second one, and I'll probably even pick up the GL titles after the September reboot.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Impersonator: I feel like Atrocitus has too much continuity baggage attached to him. I feel like he would work better for a later movie other than the first because of his relation to the Manhunters and the massacre of sector 666. All things that are absolutely essential to his character, but relate more to the darker mysteries of the corps, something thatI don't think Hal should be getting into in his intro movie. He's just learned that the corps exists, he shouldn't be finding such big skeletons in their closet already, and neither should new viewers. They should get little hintings that the corps, and especially the Guardians, have dark secrets, but not full on explosive revelations like that so soon. And they did get more subtle hintings in the movie with Parallax, but nothing as big as the massacre or the Blackest Night Prophecy. It's all a bit too much to swallow for an intro movie imo.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By labarith

I think it is safe to say that the movie was more or less what Fox's X-men was to the X-men. 

I would ultimately prefer a BTAS-style movie (not necessarily animated, but taking the best parts of the series and making them better) - but I don't see this happening often enough.  Marvel's Ironman, argubly Thor, Incredible Hulk, and the recent Batman stuff have tried to do this... and well I think. 

That deadpool script seemed to do it well too.

nftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nftw

it never truly felt like hal had a choice in the mater of becoming the green lantern, parallax was more like a being infected by parallax rather than the embodiment of fear itself... plus with hal killing off parallax it kills all possibility of hal destroying the corps, killing off Hector Hammond is not that big a deal seeings how he has always been kind of an announce rather than a real threat, i also found it kind of weird that the guardians were so easily swayed when ever  Sinestro talked... the guardians i know would have never given permission to go up against parallax let alone forge a yellow ring of fear. I have to say though this does open the door for a war of lights movie.

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Chesapeake

Well, It seems that the film had a  different origins. I never recall Hal calling his friend to pick him up at the crash site. I did not know that the US Gov. got Abin Sur's body but I may be wrong.
    MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MutenRoshi

Geoff Johns needs to stop writing scripts 

When it comes to film he looks like an absolute HACK

DarkMatter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By DarkMatter23

I felt like Parallax shouldn't of been the villain, not in this one, anyway. Since there is so much mytho and story to the green lantern universe, they should have kept the to one main villain. Giving Hector Hammond more of a role and focusing on Hal and the Corp. But having written all that, I believe that they set up the story good for a second GL, which damn it I hope happens!

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By SuperXAsh

Supposedly it was originally going to be Legion, then they decided to change it to Parallax. 

*shrugs* Would've preferred an actual physical villain instead of a concept, but Parallax was pretty neat. 

My only real gripe about the movie was the lack of screen-time for other Lanterns outside of the three who initiate Jordan into the Corps (Sinestro, Kilowog, and Tomar Re). That and some nitpicks about pacing and character development in some spots. 

Wasn't as terrible as the critics were making it out to be. Was actually quite neat.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

LET'S SEE  
    1.ABIN SUR HAS FIVE FINGERS ON EACH IN THE COMICS AND CRASHED IN THE DESERT 
    2. CARL FERRIS HAS MEDICAL PROBLEMS IN SECRET ORIGIN 
    3. WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT  HECTOR'S FATHER WAS ALIVE UNTIL THE MOVIE 
    4. KILOWOG IS PINK 
    5. NAUT KE LOI DIDN'T WEAR HIS AQUA-HELMET IN THE MOVIE 
    6.PARALLAX  IS MORE OF A DRAGONFLY LIKE MONSTER  ENTITY RATHER THAN A GHOSTLY DEMON POSSESED GUARDIAN 
     7. THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE OF THE  MOVIE: THE GUARDIANS DID NOT MAKE THE YELLOW RING, EVERYONE KNOWS IT WAS THE QWARDIANS THAT MADE THE RING FOR SINESTRO 
    AFTER GOING ROGUE 
    8.I DIDN'T SEE ANY SIGN OF JOHN STEWART IN THE MOVIE OR CLARK KENT WE WERE TOLD THAT THEY WERE GOING TO BE IN THE MOVIE 
    9.THE RING DESIGN IN THE MOVIE  WAS EXTREMELY AWESOME BUT HAL'S RING WAS A CIRCLE DESIGN WITH THE SYMBOL INSIDE THE RING 
    10. AMANDA WALLER LOOKED SEXY IN THE MOVIE AND DIDN'T FOOL AROUND WHEN IT CAME TO BUSINESS 
    11. O YEAH NO ATROCITUS IN THE MOVIE 

12.THE PLOT OF STORY IS COOL IN THE MOVIE AND IN THE COMICS  

13.ALL THE CORPS MEMBERS HAD THE SAME DESIGN OF UNIFORM GRAFTED TO THERE SKIN STILL AWESOME THOUGH
     14.ON'T KNOW WHO GANTHET WAS IN THE MOVIE, I BELIEVE I SAW ONE WITH A PONY-TAIL, MEANING GANTHET THE FREE-SPIRIT AND HOPEFULLY WILL MAKE A SCENE FOR THE SEQUEL
    15. THAT WRAPS IT UP 

MOG0_089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MOG0_089

You know what really pissed me off? Mark Strong was terrific as Sin, i think hes a good actor, i saw the potential but he was so underused and underdeveloped. We didn't get to see the alien who will eventually go off on his own and defy the GL Corp and enact his own sense of peace and order to his homeworld. We didn't get to see much of the Hal and Sin relationship either, instead Hal ends up proving to Sin that the GL Corp and the willpower of one GL is enough to take down the Biggest GL threat.
    I would've been ok with the characterization of Sin in this movie, it could've been addressed in the sequal but then suddenly without any reason only out of curiosity he puts on the yellow ring?!?! there was no buildup to that moment so there was no pathos, it just came off as fan service. This movie was such a letdown for me, I think they made a mistake of introducing to many concepts, characters in the short time it had.

SnakeEyes327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SnakeEyes327

@Emperormeister734 said:

LET'S SEE 1.ABIN SUR HAS FIVE FINGERS ON EACH IN THE COMICS AND CRASHED IN THE DESERT 2. CARL FERRIS HAS MEDICAL PROBLEMS IN SECRET ORIGIN 3. WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT HECTOR'S FATHER WAS ALIVE UNTIL THE MOVIE 4. KILOWOG IS PINK 5. NAUT KE LOI DIDN'T WEAR HIS AQUA-HELMET IN THE MOVIE 6.PARALLAX IS MORE OF A DRAGONFLY LIKE MONSTER ENTITY RATHER THAN A GHOSTLY DEMON POSSESED GUARDIAN 7. THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE OF THE MOVIE: THE GUARDIANS DID NOT MAKE THE YELLOW RING, EVERYONE KNOWS IT WAS THE QWARDIANS THAT MADE THE RING FOR SINESTRO AFTER GOING ROGUE 8.I DIDN'T SEE ANY SIGN OF JOHN STEWART IN THE MOVIE OR CLARK KENT WE WERE TOLD THAT THEY WERE GOING TO BE IN THE MOVIE 9.THE RING DESIGN IN THE MOVIE WAS EXTREMELY AWESOME BUT HAL'S RING WAS A CIRCLE DESIGN WITH THE SYMBOL INSIDE THE RING 10. AMANDA WALLER LOOKED SEXY IN THE MOVIE AND DIDN'T FOOL AROUND WHEN IT CAME TO BUSINESS 11. O YEAH NO ATROCITUS IN THE MOVIE 12.THE PLOT OF STORY IS COOL IN THE MOVIE AND IN THE COMICS 13.ALL THE CORPS MEMBERS HAD THE SAME DESIGN OF UNIFORM GRAFTED TO THERE SKIN STILL AWESOME THOUGH 14.ON'T KNOW WHO GANTHET WAS IN THE MOVIE, I BELIEVE I SAW ONE WITH A PONY-TAIL, MEANING GANTHET THE FREE-SPIRIT AND HOPEFULLY WILL MAKE A SCENE FOR THE SEQUEL15. THAT WRAPS IT UP

Typing all in caps should instantly get you banned.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MOG0_089 said:
    You know what really pissed me off? Mark Strong was terrific as Sin, i think hes a good actor, i saw the potential but he was so underused and underdeveloped. We didn't get to see the alien who will eventually go off on his own and defy the GL Corp and enact his own sense of peace and order to his homeworld. We didn't get to see much of the Hal and Sin relationship either, instead Hal ends up proving to Sin that the GL Corp and the willpower of one GL is enough to take down the Biggest GL threat. I would've been ok with the characterization of Sin in this movie, it could've been addressed in the sequal but then suddenly without any reason only out of curiosity he puts on the yellow ring?!?! there was no buildup to that moment so there was no pathos, it just came off as fan service. This movie was such a letdown for me, I think they made a mistake of introducing to many concepts, characters in the short time it had.
    I still feel like they could get into all that with Sinestro in the sequel, BECAUSE he put the ring on out of curiosity. He was the one who proposed the idea to the guardians in the first place, why WOULDN'T he try on the yellow ring. But now that he's had the spark of the idea put into his head, there's room for it to grow, and I think things can still work out for the most part how fans want for Sinestro in the sequel.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By goldenkey

Nice call on the Legion reference.  Didn't see that all.  I wondered why they didn't call the Guardian Crona, but then againt they never called any of the Guardians Ganthet either.  I didn't mind any of the changes made.  I'm not a Hector Hammond fan, never was, so I could care less about the changes made to him, but Skarsgard was good.  Creepy.  There is so much that has to be explained when it comes to green lantern that this movie was without a doubt just an introduction.  Show who Hal is as a human and who surrounds him, show Hal as a GL and who surrounds him.  Sinestro could have had a little more of an ego.  I don't like the scene aftet the credits either, but I guess having the Guardians make a yellow ring is a lot easier then having to explain the Qwardians too.  The movie is a set up somewhat like I would think Pirates of the Carribean was with the last to sequels making one large film, or even Matrix to that level.  I can only see it getting better beacause the movie was better then expected.  Especially since every damn critic, even the ones on the comic sights, said it was beyond bad.  I went it with a bad thought, felt like I was waisting my time, and left COMPLETELY satisfied and wanting to see the sequel.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By goldenkey
    @CrimsonTempest
    I thought they used Paralax fine.  More then using him as a character, they used him as a way to show how vulnerable a Green Lantern is to fear.  In that sense they made their point.  Showing what happens when someone is infected by fear (Hector Hammond) also sets it up to show how Twisted Sinestro is going to be as well.  Sinestro was more of a hands down hero in this film.  It showed this when you heard him tell the Guardians that millions of innocents were going to die.  You would never hear Sinestro say that in the comics even when he was a G.L..  That's going to make his transition to the Yellow evil Sinestro that much more threatening.  Sort of like when Hal became a bad guy in the comics.  I thought the changes were good, and if you look at like that then it makes sense to the new people watching the film that don't know the history. 
    undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By undeadpool

That's convenient considering that Hal is an amalgamation of three Lanterns (Hal, John, Kyle).

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By dewboy01

that parallax in that movie look suck, good thing im not watching that movie/ waste my money.
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Did anybody else notice that Sinestro took the best Green Lanterns up against a weaker version of Parallax and they couldnt do anything to Parallax and then an unexperienced Hal Jordan very easily harmed Parallax multiple times and eventually beat him...sigh
    EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EdBlank
    @They Killed Cap! said:
    Did anybody else notice that Sinestro took the best Green Lanterns up against a weaker version of Parallax and they couldnt do anything to Parallax and then an unexperienced Hal Jordan very easily harmed Parallax multiple times and eventually beat him...sigh
    Yes. That was pure BS. They were pummeling Paralax with veteran GL tactics and didn't budge him but then Hal hits him with a tanker truck and it rocks him. Not that a tanker truck is small potatoes but the GL ring got him from Earth to the Sun in like 2 minutes or less. THAT'S FASTER THAN LIGHT. If the GL ring is that powerful then all the gasoline on Earth can't compare
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Osiris1428

They way they did this movie, it will get even wonkier in the sequels, if there are any. And where was John Steward, the black guy in the bar fight??

Rich-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Rich-Man

Brilliant! loving these Comic/Movie comparisons! Bravo ComicVine!  

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Eyz

Parallax? 
    More like FF-movie Galactus....

:/

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darkseid_beyond
    Darkseid_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Darkseid_Beyond

I don't think the Green Lantern was as bad as everyone says it is.  It's not the greatest comic book movie ever made, but it surely isn't the worst.  The only thing that I didn't care for were all the scenes where he was either in his Apartment or talking to Carol Ferris.  I mean there is a scene where he is in his Apartment and then it jumps to Sinestro leading his group of Lanterns into Space but instead of showing more of that it jumps back to Earth again.  There was no point in showing Sinestro's task force for literally 5 seconds. 

But other than that I think the movie was enjoyable.  It definitely has the potential for a sequel and a lot of the problems the first one had can be dealt with in the sequel.  If I would write the Green Lantern 2, this is what I would do... 

1. Change his outfit.  It's not bad but I personally like the white gloves he had in the Comics.  His suit looks similar to Abin Surs because that's the first GL he had ever seen but now that he has accepted the job he can modify his outfit to give it a more "Human" look since he is the first Human GL. 

2. Focus on Hal and Sinestro.  Hal proved himself in the first movie but his training is far from over.  He should continue getting training from Sinestro, Kilowog and Tomar Re.  Eventually Hal will be invited to visit Sinestro's planet but sees the population rising up against Sinestro's oppression.  Sinestro had forced peace on the population but did so by stripping freedom and forcing marshal law. 

Attempting to stop the rioting and bring the people under control Sinestro loses his temper and attempts to kill a large group of people.  Of course this is caused by the influence the Yellow Ring has on him, even though he is not wearing it.  Hal will intervene and they end up fighting which gets the attention of the Guardians.  They forcefully recall the two Lanterns and Hal explains what happened.  This gets Sinestro kicked out of the Corps but they unknowingly banish him with the Yellow Power Ring.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EdBlank said:
    @They Killed Cap! said:
    Yes. That was pure BS. They were pummeling Paralax with veteran GL tactics and didn't budge him but then Hal hits him with a tanker truck and it rocks him. Not that a tanker truck is small potatoes but the GL ring got him from Earth to the Sun in like 2 minutes or less. THAT'S FASTER THAN LIGHT. If the GL ring is that powerful then all the gasoline on Earth can't compare
    They weren't pummeling him with veteran tactics. They literally just hovered in front of him and fired single concentrated blasts at him. They got sucked into Parallax. What people don't seem to realize was that it WASN'T they WAY Hal fought that made a difference, it was the fact that instead of attempting to feel no fear like the rest of the corps, he learned to recognize fear, stare it in the face, and overcome it. They made a big deal of pointing that out. If they could've done that they would've wiped the floor with Parallax, but that's what made him such a huge threat.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Kairan1979

They should cut the time on Earth in half and concentrate on the parts with Hal's training, give more screen time to the other Lanterns etc.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EdBlank
    @The Mighty Monarch said:
    @EdBlank said:
    @They Killed Cap! said:
    They weren't pummeling him with veteran tactics. They literally just hovered in front of him and fired single concentrated blasts at him. They got sucked into Parallax. What people don't seem to realize was that it WASN'T they WAY Hal fought that made a difference, it was the fact that instead of attempting to feel no fear like the rest of the corps, he learned to recognize fear, stare it in the face, and overcome it. They made a big deal of pointing that out. If they could've done that they would've wiped the floor with Parallax, but that's what made him such a huge threat.

This idea of bravery equaling being steadfast in the face of fear isn't new. I think middle school kids learn that when they confront their first bully. Surely eternal beings who are charged with the safety of the Universe would have picked that up along the aeons.
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EdBlank said:
    @The Mighty Monarch said:
    @EdBlank said:
    @They Killed Cap! said:
    This idea of bravery equaling being steadfast in the face of fear isn't new. I think middle school kids learn that when they confront their first bully. Surely eternal beings who are charged with the safety of the Universe would have picked that up along the aeons.
    Well, there was that whole speech at the end about Hal's humanity being an asset, and I'm pretty sure they had the same kind of thing in the comics, like in Secret Origin when inexperienced Hal was able to affect yellow. I think those situations parallel each other.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By NightFang3

Why doe's DC let Hollywood fuck up their comics?!!! 

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By huser

At least the movie seems to have given a decent reason for why Abin Sur had a ship.

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By perry_411

This movie isn't worth the vomit of a red lantern.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThomasElliot

Parallax was garbage.  Its the equivalent of Galacticus at the end of FF2!!  Renegade Guardian that's now the embodiment of yellow light/fear, breaks free from imprisonment and is nothing more than a space cloud.  He can infect ONE human and doesn't realize "oh hey, that's  neat trick... let me infect others"?  He feeds off fear, great... how about actually showing the feat that it instills?  perhaps a moment where a bunch of GLs are not getting smacked around physically, but simply can't muster up the will because Parallax's fear-inducing mind-game power is to much to deal with, etc.    Then he tells Hammond at one point some uber-cheesy crap like "You have failed me!"  What??  I thought Hammond was an accident as a result of Parallax killing Abin Sur and Hammond studying Abin.  Now all of a sudden Parllax is Megatron/Cobra Commander and Hector is his lowly minion?  Its like Parllax realized Hammond was there, and then was like, "oh... yeah... that guy... yeah, I meant to do that.  TOTALLY knew he was going to get infected by me.  Cool story, huh?".

The thing is, people defend the movie by elaborating on things that are 'suggested' or 'understood'... but that really bottoms out to nothing more than assumptions.  That is BAD FILM WRITING!  

You won't believe me, but I did enjoy GL, enough that I'm going to buy it for sure.  But I am still sorely disappointed in a few things simply because it makes no sense why anyone wouldn't think these things out a little more.  

I do NOT want Sinestro as a yellow lantern yet... why?  Because nothing in the first movie showed his bond to Hal Jordan.  These men are supposed to become trusted allies and friends, which makes Sinestro's turn all the more relevant.   So far, Sinestro's ONLY motivation for yellow light is because they couldn't beat Parllax and his last resort was to 'fight fire with fire'.  I want Sinestro to have some real reason to turn against the Guardians.  People he loves hurt becaue of Guardian's inaction, etc.  Not just because he got power-drunk off the power of fear.  LAME!

Hal Jordan 'quitting' and everyone on Oa just kind of like, "alright...good luck with that" is LAME.

Ditch Johns on this project and get some REAL film writers to fix this mess so GL2 can blow the first one away. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.