Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2496 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Death Row?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

ok, to be perfectly honest, i think if this carries on i'm going to be stopping reading Green Lantern soon.

originally they were shining emerald knights of freedom in the galaxy, intent on protecting the planets in their sector and helping out wherever they could.

GREEN LANTERN #27

The build-up to FINAL CRISIS continues in Part 2 of "The Alpha Lanterns"! In the aftermath of the Sinestro Corps War, a select few have been chosen to undergo a transformation that will leave them forever altered and forever committed to the Green Lantern Corps. But what other laws are the Guardians unleashing, and why do Hal Jordan and John Stewart want to stop them? Plus, a visit to Oa's Death Row!

Now I'm not sure I like the new vision for the GLC. Rather than being shining knights they're cops and soldiers. Now they're executioners? (complete with a black ops unit) I think their overall conception of the Guardians and the Corps is somewhat... banal, for lack of a better word. The GLC used to have the moral highground because they were serving the greater good and performed acts of altruism regardless of politics. I'm afraid they're just going to come off as enforcers of the Guardians' agenda.

I mean, why would they even have a "Death Row"? What, are there, legal appeals? To who? I get the feeling that if the Guardians sentence you to death, they aren't likely to accept any other authority to reverse that, so why a "Death Row"? I mean, it probably takes like half a second for the Guardians to execute somebody, so why wouldn't they do it the instant they sentenced them? Why sentence them to death, then stick them in a cell somewhere to "await execution"? It makes no sense to me, other than the cynical notion that this "death row" exists solely as a place from which really bad guys (and gals) can be broken out at the last second to drive an upcoming story.

i'm curious now, what are other peoples thoughts?

firstly we had the Green Lanterns being allowed to kill... they're in a war, so i don't see there being any way around that, but having their own Death Row? isn't that a little extreme for 'guardians'?

how far are they willing to take this path to make sure the universe is protected?

M

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Methos says:

"ok, to be perfectly honest, i think if this carries on i'm going to be stopping reading Green Lantern soon. originally they were shining emerald knights of freedom in the galaxy, intent on protecting the planets in their sector and helping out wherever they could. ------------------- GREEN LANTERN #27 The build-up to FINAL CRISIS continues in Part 2 of "The Alpha Lanterns"! In the aftermath of the Sinestro Corps War, a select few have been chosen to undergo a transformation that will leave them forever altered and forever committed to the Green Lantern Corps. But what other laws are the Guardians unleashing, and why do Hal Jordan and John Stewart want to stop them? Plus, a visit to Oa's Death Row! ------------------- Now I'm not sure I like the new vision for the GLC. Rather than being shining knights they're cops and soldiers. Now they're executioners? (complete with a black ops unit) I think their overall conception of the Guardians and the Corps is somewhat... banal, for lack of a better word. The GLC used to have the moral highground because they were serving the greater good and performed acts of altruism regardless of politics. I'm afraid they're just going to come off as enforcers of the Guardians' agenda. I mean, why would they even have a "Death Row"? What, are there, legal appeals? To who? I get the feeling that if the Guardians sentence you to death, they aren't likely to accept any other authority to reverse that, so why a "Death Row"? I mean, it probably takes like half a second for the Guardians to execute somebody, so why wouldn't they do it the instant they sentenced them? Why sentence them to death, then stick them in a cell somewhere to "await execution"? It makes no sense to me, other than the cynical notion that this "death row" exists solely as a place from which really bad guys (and gals) can be broken out at the last second to drive an upcoming story. i'm curious now, what are other peoples thoughts? firstly we had the Green Lanterns being allowed to kill... they're in a war, so i don't see there being any way around that, but having their own Death Row? isn't that a little extreme for 'guardians'? how far are they willing to take this path to make sure the universe is protected? M"

Alright, I don't exactly read Green Lantern comics, but I read about them, and like you stated, the whole "death row" concept is stupid. I don't really like the idea. I don't see why a death row would be necessary. But I don't know anymore. Everything is changing.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#3  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Methos says:

"The GLC used to have the moral highground because they were serving the greater good and performed acts of altruism regardless of politics. I'm afraid they're just going to come off as enforcers of the Guardians' agenda."

You make good points, but this one isn't entirely new. I've seen before when Lanters were woried about this (part of the reason some of them, like Hal, were upset when they'd never answer them straight up when asked why they did all the things they did) and some enemies would even say this to try to get the Laterns distracted, make them stop fighting, question their motives or to switch sides. DC could just be using this opportunity to say that maybe the fears/doubts of Lanterns like Hal weren't unfounded.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Methos

thinking about it, like you state Buckshot, if this is showing us another side to The Guardians that Hal saw in Emerald Twilight, i have to side with Hal again saying he definitely did the right thing...

M

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By acewasp23

i think it could be interesting, the guardians banished Ganthet and Sayd from the council because they cared about the lantern corps and the other guardians are against feelings and emotions, Hal and John are apposed to what the Guardians are doing with the alpha lanterns and the death row. it could be possible that after the war Ganthet and Sayd with the help from other lanterns apposed to the 10 new laws could try to over throw the council and banish the new guardians. i don't think dc would turn the guardians into the form of a fascist government without having some sort of twist or story in the end.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Methos

i just don't like where this is heading...

especially with the "Light War" coming up... we need the Corps and Guardians in full strength, not fighting amongst themselves

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Methos

next issue

M

The Ion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The Ion

Ummm what comic was it where the alpha lanterns first showed up?

The Ion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The Ion

k thanks guys cause i was about to sau i'm missing way to much.

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By acewasp23

Methos says:

"i just don't like where this is heading... especially with the "Light War" coming up... we need the Corps and Guardians in full strength, not fighting amongst themselves M"

i'm sure every thing will work its self in the end, i really think the guardians are going to be pushed aside by Ganthet and Sayd. if you think of it they could repopulate the guardians by them self's (1 male and 1 female). lol

The Ion says:

"Ummm what comic was it where the alpha lanterns first showed up?"

lol look at my alpha lantern forum.

The Ion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The Ion

k thanks guys cause i was about to say i'm missing way to much.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Methos says:

"i just don't like where this is heading...especially with the "Light War" coming up... we need the Corps and Guardians in full strength, not fighting amongst themselvesM"

"Light War"?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Didn't want to jack the other thread where you mentioned the Light War methos so I'm double posting here. What's the deal with the Light War? Anywhere you can point me so I can read up on it?

Jake Malcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Jake Malcom

M where is that avatar from

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Methos

The "Light War", as it's been nicknamed by Geoff Johns since it doesn't have an official title yet... it when everything is going to hit the fan next year...

The Sinestro Corps War is just the first few battles of it... it hasn't even really heated up yet...

There is going to be major surprises in store, including the full introduction of the new "Corps".

So far the 'official' blurb is that the Zamorran Corps will be out in force soon, with the 'pink lanterns' coming out and striking against the Green Lantern Corps...

The Controllers however will be building their own corps, specifically the Red Lanterns, warned about by Rip Hunter... who utilize the "Red Hate" Spectrum of 'Light' for their power... the Controllers will be going to war against the Sinestro Corps apparently...

The Blue Lanterns... well, Geoff John's said they will be 'the last Hope for the DC universe', and he did capitalise 'Hope', so the consensus is that they will be Hope based and will be the ones to actually stop the wars...

As for the other 2 Corps colours... it's a surprise apparently...

M

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

More to look forward to.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Methos

Jake Malcom says:

"M where is that avatar from"

it's from Batman Black and White

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Methos

yeah... Goeff has done amazing stuff with the first and second parts of the start of the war, Rebirth upto Sinestro Corps war...

Now i just don't want to see the spark die out on it... this has potential to actually be an amazing storyline with far reaching consiquenses that will be mindblowing... i don't want to see them fumble it on the last bit, like DC have a habbit of doing with Major story arcs of late

M

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Nighthunter

any plans for Ganthet yet?

Jake Malcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Jake Malcom

Methos says:

"Jake Malcom says:
    "M where is that avatar from"

it's from Batman Black and White

M"

oh ok thanks

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Methos

last we heard he had been "Exiled" from The Guardians...

he gave Kyle a ring so Kyle's now an "independant" member of the Corps, no sector and noone to answer to.

M

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nighthunter

Methos says:

"last we heard he had been "Exiled" from The Guardians...he gave Kyle a ring so Kyle's now an "independant" member of the Corps, no sector and noone to answer to.M"

yeah I know, but has it be revealed what will they do with him?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Methos

not yet...

M

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nighthunter

Methos says:

"not yet...M"

oh, okay well anyway I'm off nights everyone

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Methos

night

M

Bob-A-Ferret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bob-A-Ferret

the reasoning for the death row is a bit lame I admit. But DC has always tried to have characters stay true to their core character, the guardians are no different. They are beings of order and inelegance.

Now I can find in my many GL comics at least 2 times (If memory serves 8 or more) where the Guardians have allowed other species to rend verdicts on criminals and lanterns alike always trying to take the moral high ground. On top of that death row may be the phrasing for the state before the incarcerate an entity as they have yet to actually ever kill anyone themselves. (As I have never seen them get their hands dirty.) Parallax was considered dead as was Sinestro and both where no more than trapped with in the central power battery. I know they have said several other characters are dead when they where actually exiled in Phantom zone style limbos. I think they might use the word death differently than we do looking at life as a continuity not a linear existence. So wait and see in Geoff I trust

Also I know of 2 Lantern Lawyers I am sure it is to try and put them to use.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.