askwhy's Green Lantern First Flight review

Avatar image for askwhy

Serious Creative License Taken Here

Don't get me wrong.  Green Lantern: First Flight is a good movie.  It's fast-paced and action-packed and makes uses of a great deal of characters tied to the Green Lantern mythos.  However, for someone who is new to that mythos (myself included), it can be irritating to see a few of those characters acting in ways they normally would not.  We'll get back to that in a minute.

First, let me say that this is not an animated movie you should pick up from some discount department store and be thinking your kid would love it.  No.  This is an MA movie.  There's language and death usually not associated with kid's toons.  Be forewarned...unless you feel your kids have already been de-sensitized with such content in their daily viewing.  I was suprised and immediately though I wouldn't be letting any young viewers I know watch this.  Wait til it's dubbed on television to plop your kiddies in front of it.

Anyways, back to the creative licensure going one here.  There are people who side with Sinestro, there's numerous deaths of Lanterns who are still around in the titles.  We, the newbies to the Lantern world, are bound to be confusticated with this story.  Knowing what I know (and it's actually a lot for the few short months I've started reading the title), I was caught scratching my head and in a near drooling state as I tried to figure out just what the hell some of these characters were doing and why.  It was as if whoever decided to do this movie was going to do it their way and screw history with no way of turning it around.  Seriously, if a Green Lantern series was ever developed this movie would have to be completely ignored.  And that's not a good thing.

The next Lantern movie that comes along, I hope will be a little more faithful to the material.  Boodika, for instance, may be a biatch but she's not a double-crossing biatch.  The Guardians would never accede to anything...and certainly not to Sinestro.  And the power sources are not some giant crystals encased in battery housings.

But, again, it was a good movie.  It moved along at a swift enough pace to keep me from a scratching a hole in my head.  It even had me on the edge of my seat, cheering Jordan on and telling the rookie to get a move on it.  It was engaging, I'll give it that.  Again, It would have been better if it followed the material so those in the know could have their easter egg hunt, but it was good enough to be some form of welcome into the world of the Green Lantern.  I'd give it a B-.