Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4302 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

Should Green Arrow Get Some "Merry Men"?

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mrnoital

For a long time Green Arrow has been a sort of parallel to Robin Hood, however I can't remember any time when he run his own group that had parallels to Robins Merry Men

he's known a few people that could fill some spots, but not at once

pre-Flashpoint has Frederick Tuckman (Friar Tuck)

and New 52 introduced John Diggle (Little John)

there could be others that I can't think of right now

of course I'd like to see Ollie have more adventures with Emiko before she would join the Teen Titans or Young Justice (then have Ollie form this team once he's on his own)

so what are your thoughts?

anyone specific you'd have join?

what would you name this team?

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By AwesomeHobos

With the social consciousness that has been historically associated with the character I think it would be appropriate for the Merry Men to form as a political movement or group surrounding Green Arrow. They could be anything from home made vigilantes similar to the characters of We Are Robin or radical protesters akin to Anonymous.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomehobos: not a bad idea

one thing I think is interesting about Robin Hoods Merry Men, was that to join the group they usually had to beat Robin an a duel

they started a group of Merry Men for Green Arrow during Brightest Day, but only introduced one character before the New 52 reboot

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming all the "Merry Men" need not be men, Naomi, Diggle, Emiko, Mia, his current Computer Hacker (whose name I can't remember,) Clock King, and potentially Suzie Ming could form the group. They all bring something a little different. Naomi is his sidekick/partner, Emiko his eventual successor, the aformentioned computer hacker, Diggle and Clock King could help with his underworld and government contacts respectively, Mia could actually have access to her father's money and contacts, and Suzie Ming could be the "muscle" of the group, and also help with her own Chinese contacts.

Everyone has something different, even if they don't need to appear in every story physically. Someone asks "Ollie, how'd you get a Blackhawk?" "I know a guy." You could assume to be Diggle given his military ties.

"Ollie, how'd you know the Triad were working the waterfront," (aside from it being a cliche,) "I know people. Plus, she owed me a favor." Either Suzie or Clock King could be appropriate since it's a Chinese crew, but it's Clock's position.

Stuff like that.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mrnoital

@scouterv: of course they don't have to be all men, and that hacker's name is Henry Fyff

I forgot about Suzie Ming, but Ollie fought alongside Katana more recently and I don't know how they'd work together

I think Emiko is his real sidekick and eventual successor, while Naomi is trying more for her own thing, since she's good at making tech and weapons on her own

and I think Clock King should stay a villain, they may go to him for underworld info, or fight against him when when needed

wait a second, I think Emiko, Katana, Suzi, and Henry are all asian, and possibly Naomi(I'm not sure), neat

but I'm not a big for of how Mia was brought in, the story could have been done way better, and Mia didn't need to be brought in so soon after Emiko

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Yes, Henry is a no-brainer here, and Katana and Suzie not really liking each other is fine. Little internal strife could be a good dynamic as it evolves.

I really just enjoyed seeing Emiko and Naomi as Dart and Green Arrow, so that's why I think regardless of who Green Arrow is, she can, at least part-time, work with GA. Plus, I do fall more in the Naomi/Oliver relationship camp so, any excuse to keep her around works for me.

And I wouldn't turn Clock King evil. I'd just let Oliver tolerate Tockman's small, minor stuff as long as he's a valuable source of info and as long as he's not crossing certain lines.

And for Mia, I agree. Blame the change in team. One wanted a comic crew, the other wanted it to look like Arrow. Wasn't a fan of literally sending his original team off to the four corners of the Earth for no reason. (Although, Emiko joining the Titans would be a fine excuse to not have her in GA, but have her actually in Teen Titans.)

Also, I believe everyone is, in face Asian that you mentioned, except Naomi. I believe she's Indian.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: they're really similar, martial artist types, not too sure about their relationship, since I think one has ties to the triad, and the other yakuza

I'd like to see a thing between Naomi and Ollie happen, recently his romances haven't been going so great

and I thought Clock King was pretty evil, he betrayed Diggle and handed him over to Dragon

I just prefer Clock King as a villain, I wasn't the biggest fan of how Lemire did him

and yeah it was the team, they did't really make it much like arrow, but trying to do a big thing like adding a character like that, when they were only on for the one story wasn't a great move by editorial, and seems like it's just being ignored by the current team

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@scouterv: they're really similar, martial artist types, not too sure about their relationship, since I think one has ties to the triad, and the other yakuza

I'd like to see a thing between Naomi and Ollie happen, recently his romances haven't been going so great

and I thought Clock King was pretty evil, he betrayed Diggle and handed him over to Dragon

I just prefer Clock King as a villain, I wasn't the biggest fan of how Lemire did him

and yeah it was the team, they did't really make it much like arrow, but trying to do a big thing like adding a character like that, when they were only on for the one story wasn't a great move by editorial, and seems like it's just being ignored by the current team

Somewhat. Suzie is a super-powered Metahuman I believe though, who mainly relies on her hand-to-hand skills, not unlike Wonder Woman. Katana is simply an gifted human, with a magic sword, who relies more on that. Though no slouch in hand-to-hand, her bread and butter is her swordsmanship. I also believe Katana, while from Japan, may have reservations about the Chinese Suzie Ming, but again, seeing the evolution of their relationship could be pretty cool.

It struck me more as Tockman, just looking out for number 1. Nothing personal, but he'd be willing to sell-out people for his own gain, and while that worked a few months ago on Oliver, to make this work, you could argue he's still a bad man, but he knows if any of the evidence Oliver has compiled on him gets picked up by the cops, he's going away for life, so Oliver is pretty much blackmailing him into his crew with that threat and to play by his rules. Just the way that Dragon had it, that nothing happened in Seattle without his say so, is how Oliver does things, or is trying to, at least to an extent. Tockman played by Dragons rules, now he plays by Oliver's rules. In the grand scheme of things, he's really just a pawn to be used by the real players like Arrow, Dragon, and whoever else wants to try their hand at making Seattle their turf. A valuable pawn, but a pawn nonetheless, and people like Arrow, Dragon, and Diggle would always be ready to remind him of that.

I actually think Diggle is a fine character to bring into the comics, but the way they portrayed Felicity just wasn't good, and considering she does everything Naomi did, between the two, I'd rather have Naomi. Mia's story was somewhat interesting, but I was more interested in how Tommy Merlyn fit into it than her actual story. It's not the best thing, but I consider Emiko a more than fine replacement for what they were probably going to do with Mia, and they can always introduce her later. It at least works that after her story she would be off the radar, helped by Queen, so she can be brought back later on if they so choose.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I just perfer Clock King as a villain, they portayed him as a gangleader that could be anybody, I think he could be utilized a lot better, as a master of timing, not just a random gang boss saying stuff like

god I hated that line, and how it doesn't match his shtick at all

they used him kind of like penguin, a criminal boss that's too much trouble to bring down, so they use him for info

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@scouterv: I just perfer Clock King as a villain, they portayed him as a gangleader that could be anybody, I think he could be utilized a lot better, as a master of timing, not just a random gang boss saying stuff like

they used him kind of like penguin, a criminal boss that's too much trouble to bring down, so they use him for info

The way I see it you're right. Clock King could have been anyone. Hell, it probably should have been Brick as it's more up his alley anyway.

But Clock King is one of those few, really old school GA baddies, and while he was a bit of a joke (and his old incarnation should be, for today's crowd) he still has a place in GA mythos. I just chalk it up to the team assuming that the best way to have any sort of "Clock King" is to normalize him, and hence the version we get here, who looks like Ceelo Green.

I mean, I kind of like it, but I can understand why some people wouldn't. I actually liked the way they portrayed him in the Arrow series though. That mindset with this look, and a calmer, less mad scientist-like, style would have been fine and given more weight to the nickname "Clock King."

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nightwing: Neutrons

Well, Arrow has Speedy, Connor Hawke, Felicity Smoak, and Black Canary which is handsome enough, and I'd like to see more stories developing the Arrow/Canary chemistry (on TV and in comics).

Also, Clock King seems to enjoy being creepy.

I once said I'd like to see Green Arrow tackle Lucifer Morningstar, but someone from DC got flustered about Lucifer cross-overs.

You know, Cary Elwes looks a lot like Green Arrow in "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" [1993].

Otherwise, Arrow could work well with Nightwing and Squirrel Girl, so maybe they can become his Merry Men/Army.

Arrow needs allies/sidekicks who are neutral enough (i.e., non-daredevil) to be satisfied supporting characters.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.