Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4302 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

Opinions on the new green arrow books (GA rebirth and GA #1)

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I personally am a massive fan of (most of) the post flashpoint Green Arrow series.

I felt it was a more modern take on the character, I liked it when it was dark and gritty, I liked it when he it was slightly lighter and so on..

And the art was consistently good.

But I was really disappointed by the new series. I thought there was no need to revert to the previous version of the character, I found the relationship with black canary forced (they could have at least slowly made them become friends and eventually start dating), I feel we really don't need a wisecracking bearded Green Arrow, and I hate the new art style.

Why is his bow so small? why does his and Black Canary's hair change from blonde on one page to white on the next?

Having said that it's not all bad, I just thought the series has gone from amazing to really mediocre.

What are your opinions, does anyone agree with me? or did you actually like the new (old) direction?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally am a massive fan of (most of) the post flashpoint Green Arrow series.

I felt it was a more modern take on the character, I liked it when it was dark and gritty, I liked it when he it was slightly lighter and so on..

And the art was consistently good.

But I was really disappointed by the new series. I thought there was no need to revert to the previous version of the character, I found the relationship with black canary forced (they could have at least slowly made them become friends and eventually start dating), I feel we really don't need a wisecracking bearded Green Arrow, and I hate the new art style.

Why is his bow so small? why does his and Black Canary's hair change from blonde on one page to white on the next?

Having said that it's not all bad, I just thought the series has gone from amazing to really mediocre.

What are your opinions, does anyone agree with me? or did you actually like the new (old) direction?

I have a lot of the same feelings you do. I do admit, I think I'll say I prefer Oliver lighter, but I don't think that should impact the tone of his stories. I think Lemire had a great run that was dark, but Oliver remaining a pretty relaxed guy while fighting Komodo, The Outsiders, and Richard Dragon was a great way to go, and I guess if you want to appease more early 2000 fans who grew up seeing Green Arrow on JLU it helps. Personally, I can realize Oliver can go dark without being Batman, as can Percy, but the needs of the many, right?

I do agree with the whole Black Canary situation. I mean, he moved pretty fast with Tarantula when they were in Mexico and he was in love in about three or four books, but he still took things slow compared to Canary. I think that's just the way Rebirth is going to be for these two. Apparently everyone was peeing their pants to start the whole GA/BC thing up again. The Post-Crisis fanbase is just eating it up, and aside from making me roll my eyes so hard and so often you can call me Undertaker, it's not that detrimental to the story.

I do hope that this isn't going to be that big a part of the GA series moving forward though, but It wouldn't surprise me if in a year we're reading the book under the title Arrow & Canary, and the fresh Hell introduced is a pregnant Dinah.

The new costume isn't bad, but I do think they could have at least kept the insignia he used on his last costume. Percy could throw in some more trick arrows moving forward. I just hope we're not just wiping away the past five years, because there was some solid stuff introduced after Flashpoint. I'm also slightly annoyed that Ollies' recurve has pulleys.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read all of the issues of the Rebirth series thus far and i'd say that i'm loving it. From the costume, to the tone of the character, to the relationship with Black Canary. This might be a generational thing however or just depend on the version of the character that you were first exposed to. I came into GA through a combination of Quiver and the JLU, so i'm naturally going to favor stories that feature stuff that is similar to those two depictions.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.