Felicity and Merlyn...

No Caption Provided

What is the problem with Merlyn?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#152 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I'm not going to be reading the new run

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#154 Edited by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's safe to say that they're going to pull a New X-Men on Lemire (i.e. completely undo everything he did).

Avatar image for transformers1024
#155 Edited by Transformers1024 (7600 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue 35 felt like I was reading a 13 year old girls first Arrow fan-fiction and doesn't understand how to properly write internal monologue nor actual dialogue.

#156 Posted by tupiaz (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

@tupiaz: My problem is with the Arrow-fication of the book, especially when it comes at the expense of the great run that came before it.

I also disliked that they've pretty much turned Arthur King into Malcolm Merlyn.

Could you elaborate?

#157 Posted by Mrnoital (8343 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@the_tree said:

@tupiaz: My problem is with the Arrow-fication of the book, especially when it comes at the expense of the great run that came before it.

I also disliked that they've pretty much turned Arthur King into Malcolm Merlyn.

Could you elaborate?

yeah, I don't think it's any more like arrow, they used some lines from arrow, but he's much more socially conscious

also we know nothing about Arthur King(assuming that's who it is) except that he tortured that one dude

#158 Edited by tupiaz (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:

yeah, I don't think it's any more like arrow, they used some lines from arrow, but he's much more socially conscious

also we know nothing about Arthur King(assuming that's who it is) except that he tortured that one dude

Arthur King is Merlyn and has some connection with Talia. I haven't read it but it should have happened in Batman Inc #4

#160 Edited by Mrnoital (8343 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: I just read it, he was just some assassin and looked exactly like pre-new-52(I can get a scan if you want)

not like this,

No Caption Provided

and then the released art for green arrow 37 shows merlyn looking like this with the soul patch

No Caption Provided

#161 Posted by tupiaz (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

@tupiaz said:

@the_tree said:

Could you elaborate?

Book opens with "My name is Oliver Queen", The Glades now exist, Diggle and Felicity are in the book. The previous cast of the book (Naomi, Fyff, and Emiko) were done away with in one speech bubble to have the Arrow cast. Arthur King now looks and acts like Malcolm Merlyn. I'd also place a huge bet on Arrow-fied Merlyn looking for Mia because she's his daughter.

Both the writing and art were mediocre as well.

Loading Video...

It can easily be brought back in. Kreisberg will only stay on the title for a short run (you can jump to 5.10).

#162 Posted by johnny_blaze (1357 posts) - - Show Bio

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/05/green-arrow-35-seemingly-snuck-dr-mid-nite-into-the-new-52-and-n/

#164 Posted by The_Kidd (12523 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread died so easily hopefully it will be revived when the new creative team takes over.

#165 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#166 Posted by The_Kidd (12523 posts) - - Show Bio
#167 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_kidd: Yeah same, I couldn't stand what happened after Lemire and Sorrentino left

#168 Posted by Mrnoital (8343 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, I'm looking forward to this

#169 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#170 Edited by Mrnoital (8343 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Ben Percy is as a comic book writer

but the way the creative team is talking about it is really getting me excited

the colourist saying it's not just dark, but downright scary and it reminds him of Se7en

or the artist saying he's working on the most savage page he's drawn since he teamed up with David Lapham

#171 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: Agreed on everything and the art is amazing!

#172 Posted by tupiaz (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Seems cool. Olie riding a bike makes so much sense because it gives a feeling like an arrow crusing in and out of traffic.

#173 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: Yep, I'm really looking forward to this.

#174 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio
#175 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: We can only hope it's as good as Grell's run

#176 Posted by Mrnoital (8343 posts) - - Show Bio
#177 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: It actually has my attention now, but I doubt Percy will top Lemire.

#178 Edited by Mrnoital (8343 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: I have my doubts too, this is his first real run on comics, but he's been pretty successful writing novels and short stories, so you never know

and the first 2 people to comment on that twitter post are the colourist and the writer (but I guess you knew that)

#179 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#180 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024: @johnny_blaze: @the_kidd: @tupiaz: @xwraith: @mrnoital:

Newsarama: Ben, as a successful writer of prose novels and screenplays, what interested you about writing comic books, and what brought you to working with DC on Detective Comics, and now Green Arrow?

Ben Percy: Some of my favorite stories — The Sandman,The Dark Knight Returns, Saga of the Swamp Thing — are comics. The intersection of image and text makes for such a layered, dynamic reading experience.

And they're so much damn fun to write. The joint storytelling that occurs between writer and artist is the most rewarding collaboration I've ever experienced. It's like making a movie — except the actors are always available, the special effects budget is unlimited, and the process is so wonderfully swift and unburdened of the development hell I've experienced in Hollywood.

Nrama: Did you grow up reading comics? Any favorite titles? And do you think any influence the way you're approaching Green Arrow?

Percy: I did. I vividly remember visiting the mercantile in the small town where I grew up, spinning the rack of comics, pawing my way through Warlord, The Thing and Batman, getting to choose just one issue every time my mother bought groceries.

I've been a lousy collector my whole life, because I can't help but read and read and read my copies until they're ragged and bent and stained. To this day, I have wrinkled stacks of The Punisher, X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Thor, and Swamp Thing. The ones I read the most: the re-issued EC titles: Tales from the Crypt, Vault of Horror, and The Haunt of Fear. They scared and thrilled the hell out of me.

And you'll notice that darkness — ingredients of horror — in myGreen Arrow run.

Nrama: We've seen the eight-page preview of Green Arrow that ran earlier this month. There seems to be a parallel between Ollie and the Drowned Man, who "cared about his home so much he'd die in defense of it." Was the point that Ollie can't escape who he is, even if he wants to be "untethered?" That he is the archer, like the stars depict, and it comes as naturally to him now as breathing?

Percy: That is exactly what I intended. The Drowned Man is not only an awesome, freaky, haunting device — he's also a metaphor.

My comic scripts are always going to read like this: You'll have the surface thrills — the entertainment — and then there'll be an undercurrent of meaning, thematic resonance.

Nrama: Is there anything else you want readers to take away from Green Arrow's trip to Alaska, and his run-in with the murderous trucker?

Percy: He's 25, as I've written him, and when you're 25, you screw up. You think with your dick and with your gut and with your heart, but not always your head. You resent responsibility even as you want to be taken seriously.

Patch Zircher and I want to make Oliver as human as possible. This guy's a hero, but he's also a businessman and he's also a young man. He's complicated, fractured into many pieces that don't always align neatly.

Nrama: As the preview ends, Seattle is burning, and Emiko needs her brother. Is that where the story kicks off in Green Arrow #41 in June? What can you tell us about the set-up as we pick up Ollie's story?

Percy: This is where I rub my hands together and laugh mischievously. In other words, I ain't telling. But I will say this: You will learn what happened with the skeletons. I won't tell you when, but they're an important adversarial force in one of the arcs. I'm being coy, but you can probably already tell that I'm going to be playing around with time/chronology to enhance suspense.

Nrama: Besides Emiko, who's going to be Ollie's supporting cast in your run? Any existing characters, or new characters you can tell fans to anticipate?

Percy: Again, I'm going to be sly here, but I will say that our run begins with #41 and not Issue #1 because we're continuing (and reinventing) some elements of the Jeff Lemire mythology (which I really admired).

There's one new, essential character I think readers are going to freaking love — and he'll appear at the end of #41.

Nrama: That preview also had a dark feel to it, and you mentioned earlier that the darkness of the EC titles informed the way you're writing Green Arrow. Do you plan to approach this comic from a more macabre angle, as opposed to the spandex superhero direction?

Percy: I'm not big on bright colors or spandex. Just look at the way Gabe Eltaeb is coloring this — it's the color of Seattle, the color of crime, shadow-soaked, rain-swept.

Anyone familiar with my novels will know that I have a dark aesthetic, and that's one of the reasons they brought me on. Patch said, when he read the pitch and then the first few scripts, "This is like when Daniel Craig took over as James Bond." Gritty, shadowy, haunted, muscular storytelling. "Longbow Hunters" is without question my favoriteGreen Arrow storyline — and you'll see shades of Mike Grell in the way we're approaching the character.

Nrama: Your Detective Comics story played off the fear of terrorism, which echoes a fear that permeates our world. WillGreen Arrow have a similar "fictional-fear-related-to-real-fears" theme?

Percy: Green Arrow has a rich history as a progressive, political hero. In the first three issues, you'll see some incendiary parallels to what's happening in these politically, culturally dangerous times. I love taking a knife to the nerve of the moment.

Nrama: You mentioned Patrick "Patch" Zircher. How's it been working with him, and what do you think his art brings to the comic?

Percy: Patch and I get along really well. Every issue is a conversation. I love the back-and-forth, the way we make each other better. He challenges me — I challenge him — and I think the rich, strenuous collaboration is going to result in a comic unlike any other out there right now. The way he draws and arranges panels is brilliantly cinematic: I think of him as an artist but also as a director.

Nrama: What else do you have coming out now? What else are you working on that's coming up? Any other comics?

Percy: I'm hoping to go all-in on comics. While working onGreen Arrow, I'd love to write some one-shots or short arcs for other series, and I'm also pitching several original ideas. Fingers crossed that something works out.

Otherwise, my new novel — The Dead Lands, a post-apocalyptic re-imagining of the Lewis and Clark saga — just released, so I'm on book tour for that now. I also just sold a crime show, Black Gold (set in the North Dakota oil fields), to Starz, and I'm presently polishing up the pilot.

#181 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio
#182 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

@jonny_anonymous: He likes Lemire's run. Good.

Yep, he said he will continue with the mythology Lemire set up.

#183 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio
#184 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#185 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio
#186 Posted by Mrnoital (8343 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@xwraith said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@xwraith said:

@jonny_anonymous: He likes Lemire's run. Good.

Yep, he said he will continue with the mythology Lemire set up.

That could either be a good or bad thing.

How do you mean?

He could be as good as Lemire, or he might not be.

I think he'll be good, but he might be a bit different

#187 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

What did everybody think of the first issue? I loved the horror tinged murder mystery and it's great seeing Miko and Fyff back and I really love how he's trying to make Seattle it's own character, every comic book should do that with it's setting.

#188 Edited by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

Really loved it. A couple things that seemed missing from Lemire was the focus on Seattle (although the last arc and when Vertigo attacked kinda did, I'm sure if the run had been longer Ollie would've stayed in Seattle more) and really building a strong sense of who Ollie is. Percy seems to be jumping straight into these elements which is awesome.

Couple weird things though, no clue how the 8 page preview plays into any of this, assuming this issue happens first but the solicit makes it seem like it happens after. Also Emiko seems significantly older than in Lemire's run. She seems high school now but I thought she was like 12 before.

#189 Posted by Mrnoital (8343 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I loved it, I think this is gonna be a great run, it's cool that they kept the old supporting characters, and I like the one they added

@dan12456:Percy did an interview where he said he messed around with time a bit, it should all tie in eventually

#190 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: Ok cool, figured it would all make sense in the end.

#191 Posted by Mrnoital (8343 posts) - - Show Bio

@dan12456: yeah, he said something about going Tarantino on it, I assume there'll be an issue where he leaves, and we see whats going on with Emiko

#192 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

All positive reactions. Looks like I'll be getting the new issue.

#193 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#194 Posted by The_Kidd (12523 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it but the issue moved slow understandable because Percy needed to take time to set the tone for his run. So that preview was a later part of the story arc?

#196 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

What everybody think of this weeks issue?

#197 Posted by johnny_blaze (1357 posts) - - Show Bio

I just finished GA #42 and it completely tops the last issue. I loved the Black Canary easter egg. The panel where Ollie is riding his motorcycle through the tunnel is beautifully drawn imo. Who is this albino dude and what's his deal? I hope he has enough staying power to be apart of his rogues gallery. The scene where the Panopticon literally ripped the little girl apart completely ruined my day. I think the wolf has something to do with The Outsiders, maybe some sort of mental bond?

#198 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#199 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody else read it?

#200 Edited by The_Kidd (12523 posts) - - Show Bio

I still feel it is moving a bit too slow but I appreciate GA have a sense of social consciousness.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.