Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4287 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

Green Arrow's Best Covers

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The community has selected Oliver Queen, a.k.a. Green Arrow, as our latest Character of the Month! That means the accurate archer will appear against a new challenger every new edition of the Battle of the Week, but it also means we'll give him plenty of love in articles, too. First up, we're going to highlight some of his best covers! Seeing as the character has been around for decades, we obviously won't have everyone's top choice below. So, if there's a cover you really love and we didn't select it, go ahead and post it in the comments section.

GREEN ARROW #17

No Caption Provided

For many, Oliver Queen's adventures in The New 52 began with issue 17. The issue saw the introduction of a new creative team -- one which would set the book in a fantastic direction -- and artist Andrea Sorrentino's cover (along with Hi-Fi's coloring) did a phenomenal job capturing our attention. It's an amazingly cinematic image as rain pours down on Ollie, fire rages in the background, and smoke fills the air. It's a great cover and an especially great way to begin this list. In fact, pretty much all of the covers during this run could be on the list, but we made the difficult choice of only picking one other one. But we'll get to that later!

GREEN ARROW: THE LONGBOW HUNTERS #1

No Caption Provided

For new readers, Lemire and Sorrentino defined their Green Arrow experience. But for others, Mike Grell's work with the character was unforgettable. Grell produced several standout covers and iconic stories, but it all began back in 1987 with GREEN ARROW: THE LONGBOW HUNTERS. This approach to Oliver's world and the design for the character felt more grounded and Grell's style was the perfect compliment for this new tone. For longtime fans of Ollie, this is certainly a cover that crosses their minds from time to time.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #8

No Caption Provided

Jim Lee created a cover that features Green Arrow? Yeah, you can bet it's an obvious choice for the list! Even though Ollie's mostly humorous in the issue, Lee's work on the character is sleek and incredibly cool. It's just an added bonus that we once again get a sample of how Lee handles DC's other big heroes. It's also worth noting that Mike Choi's variant is also pretty terrific.

GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE #1

No Caption Provided

We'll give Andy Diggle'sYEAR ONE a good amount of praise in Green Arrow's upcoming "must read stories" article. Thankfully, the story also has some superb covers. Each of them are praiseworthy for different reasons, and Jock's debut cover is a real attention-grabber. There's such a strong contrast between the Emerald Archer, the soothing water and the island scenery on the horizon. It's such an immersive image. Diggle delivered a fantastic story and, luckily for him, Jock's cover does a more than thorough job catching someone's eye.

GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW #85

No Caption Provided

"Snowbirds Don't Fly" is debatably one of the biggest stories to hit Green Arrow's world. He wasn't there for Roy Harper and he was oblivious to the fact that the kid had turned to drugs. So oblivious, in fact, that he thought Roy was just undercover when the sidekick was found with a group of junkies. Neal Adams' cover does a perfect job capturing Ollie's shock and the toll the drugs can take on someone as we see Roy hunched over and shaking. Then next issue has an equally powerful cover which shows the countless faces drugs has harmed.

GREEN ARROW #11

No Caption Provided

There's dozens of covers that feature the DC hero taking aim, but this one is just downright awesome. Matt Wagner's work on the marksman makes him look so stoic as he takes aim with great posture. Having his name spelled across the brick wall -- in green, of course -- and the soothing red sky are nice additions, too.

WORLD'S FINEST #210

No Caption Provided

The Bronze Age was filled with dramatic covers that included over-the-top dialogue. The cover of WORLD'S FINEST #210 is a stellar example of this and you can't help but smile while you look at it. I mean, there's a dog with no face and Ollie's pointing at Superman while his face begins to vanish. Neal Adams' character work remains excellent, but you can't help but laugh while you gaze at the ridiculous situation. There's a lot of serious or epic covers on this list, but we're including this one for one very simple reason: it's fun! Why does Oliver still have a face, you ask? Obviously it's because his epic facial hair protects him, right?

GREEN ARROW #32

No Caption Provided

As stated back in our first highlight, Sorrentino did a brilliant job with GREEN ARROW's covers. Everyone likely has their favorites, but we believe the first chapter of Broken shows off his creativity extremely well. Having a shattered and vivid silhouette of Oliver with all of the cast hiding within the pieces was a clever decision. On top of that, the contrast between white and shades of green makes quite an impact.

GREEN ARROW #40

No Caption Provided

There were so many ways to tease a breakup between Dinah and Ollie. You could have them screaming at each other, the duo going their different ways as their faces are covered with tears, or maybe even something incorporating a shattered heart. Instead, Marcos Martin and Alvaro Lopez do something so very simple and it's wonderfully effective. Dinah's the one to "break" the relationship with Oliver and everything from her expression to what she's doing gets that message across loud and clear.

GREEN ARROW #1

No Caption Provided

Mauro Cascioli's cover for the first chapter of the 2010 series is a real jaw-dropper. Cascioli's handling of a more stern and focused Oliver is magnificent and the work with the two completely different settings is every bit as impressive. It's remarkable and worthy of being turned into a poster. Go on, just stare at it for a bit and let all of its greatness sink in.

GREEN ARROW #58

No Caption Provided

Spoiler alert: Green Arrow and Merlyn don't actually fight in this issue. We may not get a battle between these two marksmen within the issue, but James Jean's cover reminds us how exciting and intense a battle between two archers can be. It's a gripping scene as arrows fly in both directions and the two characters have a projectile aimed and ready to fire. So many covers do a praiseworthy job showing Oliver prepared to fire, but this one is packed with so much energy.

What's YOUR favorite Green Arrow cover? Don't be shy, share it with the world in the comments section below.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Boynerdgeek

You forget to mention Green Arrow #62 (which is part of Judd Winnick GA Run). Great cover where Deathstroke vs Green Arrow. The name of Story arc is I believe Crawling from the wreckage which is the issue Deathstroke is hire to kill the mayor of Star City who is Oliver Queen

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Nice picks.

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By cmd735
    No Caption Provided

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

You forget to mention Green Arrow #62 (which is part of Judd Winnick GA Run). Great cover where Deathstroke vs Green Arrow. The name of Story arc is I believe Crawling from the wreckage which is the issue Deathstroke is hire to kill the mayor of Star City who is Oliver Queen

It is a good one, and trust me, that cover was considered! As were many others, but if we were going to include everything we like, it would be a very long list that would take a very long time to produce. We believe the ones selected have a good amount of variety and we encourage you to post the ones you love that didn't make the cut. But again, I promise you no cover was "forgotten." We spent a lot of time going through Oliver's appearances and looking at all of the covers. That said, I prefer the cover to #61, but that was used over in Deathstroke's Best Covers ;)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 owie  Moderator

Haha that World's finest one is awesome.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree with this 100%! That was a solid arc.

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cmd735
    No Caption Provided

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Variant for JL #8 is my favorite GA cover of the New 52

Cliff Chiang had some incredible ones from GA/BC

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I always thought that cover, on its own, made Hal look like a jerk; like he found out Roy was doing drugs and kept it a secret, letting the kid keep on using until he could spring it on Ollie and go "Ok, know-it-all, what's your answer to that? Huh? Huh?"

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@saren: Hal is a jerk , always has been . lol

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By longbowhunter

The Mike Grell Longbow Hunters covers are really great because you can actually see the brush strokes and the canvas they're on. The Mauro Cascioli covers are the only good thing about that run on GA. It's the only reason they're still in my collection. Here are some of my favorites.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised this cover wasn't up there to be honest.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By viin
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Lemire and Sorrentino's Green Arrow 23 and 24 are some of my favs.

No Caption Provided

I also like 21...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Sorrentino's cover for Green Arrow #24 is one of my favorite covers of the past few years.

No Caption Provided

If they ever make this into a poster, I'll be the first in line to get it.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin: David Aja's variant for Green Arrow #12. Think it was during Brightest Day. That volume had a lot of amazing variants.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I would say that you've missed a few covers but Ollie just has too many great covers.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Nice picks.

Jonas_Queen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jonas_Queen
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Sorrentino's cover for Green Arrow #24 is one of my favorite covers of the past few years.

No Caption Provided

If they ever make this into a poster, I'll be the first in line to get it.

Same here

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Kidd
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

He has slot of awesome covers!

batarang614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comments better than the article

how many new 52, or #1 covers did you get on here? You really didn't spend very long researching this it seems

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@batarang614: there's 3 #1s and 3 from The New 52 -- each deserving of praise, I believe. Also, many of the ones in the comments are Sorrentino's work from New 52. As stated in the article, I didn't want to flood this article with his work, so I restricted it to 2. Since Jock's YEAR ONE was a limited series, I wanted to only select 1 from it and I happen to like the first cover the most.

As for research, ill point you in the direction of my earlier comment. If you're not a fan of the ones we picked, then so be it. Ollie has a HUGE selection of great covers, so I encourage you to share your favorites.

daniisttoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By daniisttoll

One of my faves, not technically Ollie, but I think it deserves to be in the running

No Caption Provided
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daniisttoll: I love that one too. I wish Brian Bolland had done more Green Arrow covers.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By saoakden

Some of my favorite covers are from the new 52 Issues 17 & 24. Here are some other covers featuring Green Arrow.

Some of my favorite Green Arrow covers.
    joaoanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus christ that Justice League cover is awful. I don't know why people still suck Jim Lee so much, everything he did after New 52 is bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never read green arrow before but this makes me want to start.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Most of Green Arrow's covers are pretty good.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Mrnoital
    No Caption Provided

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By UltronMk7

The New 52 run was just....amazing (issue 17 on anyway). The artwork is breathtaking. I always had to set aside more time if I was reading a GA book because I knew I would be staring at the art twice as long as usual.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.