Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4303 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

green arrow villains

Avatar image for hyperfalcon0507
    hyperfalcon0507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hyperfalcon0507

So as a huge fan of this character I've been very frustrated with the apparent lack of a strong rogues gallery to make him more memorable. While I love the arrow tv series it's a little off in some of the portrayals.I'll probably never end up writing the character, but I've put together a list of villains I would pit him against if I had a chance and would love some input on them. So without further ado my proposed list of rogues:

Merlin

Count Vertigo

Deathstroke

Komodo

Red Dart

Bronze Tiger

Constantine Drakon

Cupid

Cheshire

Camorouge

Brother Blood

Nyssa al Ghul (give GA a villain from the league too)

Clock King

Prometheus

Toy Man

Onomatopoeia

Isabel Rochev

Shrapnel

Electrocutioner

Royal Flush Gang

Mr. Blank (nameless assassin from the home invasion episode of arrow)

Cyrus Vanch (wouldn't normally include something so minor from the series except he figured out how many arrows GA carried in his quiver)

The Dodger (had a really cool interpretation in the series)

Frank Bertinelli/Helena (never made sense that a batman apprentice would use a crossbow)

Firefly (Batman can't have all the cool villains)

Big Game (definitely would need a reboot)

Dr. Anthony Ivo (questionable but a cool concept)

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

too many of these are taken from other villains

I agree with some but not others (I'll mention the ones I don't agree with)

Deathstroke, he's good at going against GA, but should not be his "rogue" he's more for Teen Titans and being a general mercenary

Bronze Tiger is more complicated, sometimes being a good guy

Cheshire is more Teen Titans

so is Brother Blood

Nyssa Al Ghul is unnessesary since he has the Outsiders and doesn't need the LoA

Prometheus was a team buster and beat the JLA a few times and shouldn't be purely against GA

Toyman is Supermans

Shrapnel doesn't seem right for GA

Mr Blank was a sort of copy of Onomatopoeia since Kevin Smith(created the character) himself said Onomatopoeia would be too hard to make work in live action

why say Firefly when GA already got Killer Moth?

Ivo is definitely a Shazam/Captain Marvel villain

hyperfalcon0507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'know I don't disagree with your comments, especially regarding Mr. Blank. Though some I would like to give a counter-argument.

Deathstroke: While most people associate him with the Titans, I feel like he's too threatening to really be theirs. Another argument people like to point out that he has a long history with Nightwing, which is true. However, even before Arrow, Slade and Oliver have been building a very personal feud. This one is a personal choice based on that, but I can completely understand the argument to keep him a Titans, especially with the Terra arc.

Bronze Tiger: I'll admite I don't know as much about him, but if he's sometimes a good guy I'd like to point out that Harley Quinn has served time as a "reluctant" good guy on the Suicide Squad, and yet we still typically lump her as a villain. So while I'll do more research on him, I don't feel like that's a reason to keep him out.

Brother Blood: I'll take that he's a Titans villains...mostly because as much as I'm interested in seeing him as a GA villain, he wasn't really my first choice.

Nyssa: I'm gonna go ahead and say that as much as The Ousiders arc in the recent run was good, the villainous clans became so muddled as to not have many memorable villains come out of it (plus the fact that his father was alive and hiding on the island was infuriating to me). To your point that he doesn't need the LoA, Merlyn has a long history of being involved with the league and therefore I feel that other villains from the league could emerge as well.

Prometheus: There is a LONG history of "team-busters" coming from one hero's rogues. Granted a lot of them are from Superman or GL not Batman, but the fact that Prometheus destroys Star, and cuts Roy's arm off makes him a personal foe.

Toy Man: I'd only argue that why would Superman waste himself on someone like Toy Man, but otherwise sure I'd agree. Once again not a top choice, just an idea

Shrapnel: Really a villain primarily known for using explosives? Why not pit a modern terrorist against the Emerald Archer? Especially if we remove any of the above villains.

Firefly: this is just wishful thinking on my part because Killer Moth oftentimes gets "demoted" to a Titans villain, and I've never really liked Moth. Just me probably.

Ivo: I can understand that one, I also feel like the loose interpretation they took on the show was an interesting choice for the character. When I think about it though I could agree with him being better used as a Shazam villain.

Just some counter-arguments.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperfalcon0507: I won't argue Slade (Deathstroke) since him and GA do have a history, but I think he shouldn't be counted among his real rogues, but he was included in a recent issue where he's one person what wants to ruin his life, but he was recently counted as an enemy

No Caption Provided

from what I know Bronze Tiger was usually a villain when he was brainwashed, but him and Richard Dragon were friends and both were good (but for now they're both bad) so I wouldn't mind seeing them fight

I agree the outsiders didn't have much for big names by the end, but with the futures end tie-in they get showed again pretty well, and Merlyn has been changed somehow since the new 52, but I wouldn't mind GA fighting some LoA because of Merlyn, and I feel like he should be Ollies biggest connection to the League

We must be thinking of different shrapnels, cause the one I just looked up had his flesh and bone turned to metal

right now he's against a super rich guy named John King (a play on King John, the one Robin Hood is known to fight), and I'd like to see more villains that are made for GA

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@mrnoital:

Agreed with the list.

Killer Month appeared on Green Arrow Tie in to Zero Year maybe was his decission to put on list

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperfalcon0507:

You forgot about Brick and China White. Huntress is suposed to be "rogue batgirl" but she is more ally to Dinah than Oliver.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: Killer Moth was in a few more issues in Broken

but yeah it's their list, they can say who they want, those were just my opinions about those characters connection to GA

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: I felt it was odd they included Deathstroke as they never met in Nu52.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mrnoital

@the_kidd: not that we know about, he did have about 5 years of things we didn't see

but I agree, I thought it was odd too

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: true and they do kind of have a rivalry in Futures End.

hyperfalcon0507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe I forgot to put Brick and White on the list. I really do appreciate the comments guys, I really just wanted to spark discussion. As far as Slade goes, they haven't met in the new 52, but I was looking at a broader perspective and after Identity Crisis the two really had a lot of mutual hatred.

hyperfalcon0507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I definitely wasn't thinking of that Shrapnel, not sure where the other one popped in my head. As for Moth, I guess I never felt them to be too interesting, maybe I've missed some good books with the character. Off to find them!

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mrnoital

@the_kidd: now that I think about it, in the Futures End tie in, Slade said Ollies gotten slow letting Emiko take his place (it was Magus, but that still suggests they fought in the past)

and his saying he'd kill someone for free usually means it's personal for him

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital:

They have to think they want to accept or decline it.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Green Arrow's rogues gallery needs a big revamp badly. The writers of Arrow completely dropped the ball on not revamping some his very very obscure villains like Big Game, Death Dealer & Vengeance.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis

Half of these characters aren't even GA villains.

Blood would eat Oliver alive,comic Blood is nothing like the one who showed up in the show,he's not a street level character.

Deathstroke is a Teen Titans foe who goes up against other heroes from time to time.

Royal Flush Gang(Batman)

Toyman(Superman)

Helena Bertinelli was never Batmans apprentice,but she's a Batman character through and through.

Prometheus is an anti-Batman,who happens to be a JL villain.

Firefly(Batman)

Bronze Tiger is no ones villain.

Nyssa(Batman,Ollie already has Merlyn from the League).

Ivo(JL villain,another huge mismatch).

Cheshire(TT)

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Arrow could do with a better rogue gallery to be honest. They need to make a few more interesting characters for Ollie to go against, personally I liked Midas. Would like to see more of him and for it to go more in depth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.