Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4302 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

Green Arrow Continues Social Commentary

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mrnoital

When Ben Percy took over is writer for Green Arrow in post-Convergence DC, he started strong with the first story touching on issues from drone technology to police brutality

and now in Green Arrow 45 he clarifies that Ollies new enemy is a Mexican group using Mayan symbolism, and mentions some atrocities that happened and one that is happening in the real world

No Caption Provided

and in the annual they tackle the topics of people being persecuted for carrying a disease, victim blaming, and information being leaked over the internet (This story will continue with Green Arrow #48)

No Caption Provided

What are your thoughts on Green Arrow bringing up topics like these?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

No prob.

Its GA, he should be politically involved, its kinda his thing.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

No prob.

Agreed. I'm not 100% a fan of Percy's execution so far, but I definitely want GA dealing with this stuff. More so than any other hero.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

No prob.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like other said it GA thing

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Social Sunroof

Indeed. Oliver Queen is a stand-out society member and is in a position to add quality pedestrian feathers to his Arrow alter-ego cap.

I'd like to see more comic story or Arrow (The CW) mentions of Oliver Queen's personal investments in UNAIDS, an international organization dedicated to the distribution of key information regarding the health and social participation of the AIDS community in governance discussions.

Oliver Queen

UNAIDS

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

At least there's some remembrance of Green Arrow being a political progressive in his personal views somewhere in the multimedia. There's a significant lack of it in another Arrow related show.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abishai100: To be fair, Oliver doesn't have the kind of money he once did. Felicity owns the company Ray bought from Oliver and Thea is most likely supported by her father, in The League. Oliver...as far as I know, has been unemployed for a long time now. The campaign for Mayor will probably change that though, and give him a bit more cash, but as of now, I don't think he has money to be investing in and has no personal tie to the AIDS community in Arrow.

@lvenger said:

At least there's some remembrance of Green Arrow being a political progressive in his personal views somewhere in the multimedia. There's a significant lack of it in another Arrow related show.

Really? I think it's actually becoming more pronounced, if we're talking Arrow.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: You mean Oliver running for Mayor? Sure it follows what happens to Green Arrow after Brightest Day in the comics but the rhetoric and campaign isn't comic Oliver's strong left wing progressive and social activism. It's the generic jargon of TV Nolanisation essentially, not the old leftie Green Arrow is in the comics.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@lvenger said:

@scouterv: You mean Oliver running for Mayor? Sure it follows what happens to Green Arrow after Brightest Day in the comics but the rhetoric and campaign isn't comic Oliver's strong left wing progressive and social activism. It's the generic jargon of TV Nolanisation essentially, not the old leftie Green Arrow is in the comics.

True but I'd remove the word Nolanisation as Nolan doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Arrow. Ollie is campaigning using generic slogans while the show forces Felicity Sue down your throat.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Eh fair enough, I concede there. The Batman copycat influence is still strong with Arrow there.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Not necessarily even the campaign, but I'd argue that it does potentially lend itself to seeing a bit more of Green Arrow's political affiliation, but even in the comics it's not that pronounced. At least not since Flashpoint. I don't even know where Nolan comes in with that.

I'm leaning more just towards Oliver's nature in general, which has been something growing in the series with just his adversarial nature with HIVE and Damian. It's not overtly of leftist, but I think there's room there for it. Before he was fighting to stop people from harming the citizens of Starling. Now, he's fighting to save Star City as a whole.

With that said, I've come to realize that while they are a prime part of what sets Green Arrow apart from other, less-vocal heroes, that that's probably not what we're going to see from Arrow for now. At least not in any substantial way that would make Bernie Sanders applaud.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.