Do you Consider Green Arrow an A-List Superhero?

• 59 results
Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) 4 years, 1 month ago

Poll: Do you Consider Green Arrow an A-List Superhero? (63 votes)

Yes, I do. 27%
He's close, but not quite there. 35%
Not really. 35%
Green Who? 3%

Curious.

Green Arrow has been around for a long time, and at this point his time as a Batman pastiche and a more original character is about even. At this point, have his stories and characterization done enough to make him an A-List hero, with the likes of your typical Justice Leaguers?

Has Arrow, in particular, done enough for the character to make him a recognizable hit outside of comic book circles?

Do you think he's on the cusp, but missing something to make that happen?

Do you think he's firmly (and potentially eternally,) B-List?

Or do you think he's still a poor-man's Batman?

Personally, I think he's wholly established himself as a unique individual street-level character. His characterization has shifted to the point that, I think his stories are a lot different than people with little knowledge of current Arrow would expect.

Personally, I think he's on the cusp. I think we'll really see how he's addressed as a character in the next few years, depending on what WB and DC can do with the character outside of comics, whether that be more Arrow or a potential Green Arrow movie.

#51 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: flash isn't an A lister

Jim Gordon an A lister? Is hat a joke

Ofc BAtman is but this is A child Bruce Wayne and by no means would he be considered an A lister

How is The Flash not considered an A-Lister?

I find comic book Green Arrow to be a joke. Pre 52 that is. Haven't read any New 52 stuff.

You'd have a solid time in reading Jeff Lemire's run with the character. Works as a perfect jump on point. Following that, you could probably skip everything up until Benjamin Percy's current run.

Everything before Lemire was forgettable, and everything after until Percy was just bad. The tonal shift might be jarring, but considering how many times this book changed Creative Teams (especially when the writers of Arrow took over for one, painful arc) so many times, that's bound to happen.

#52 Posted by Royal_Warrior (5059 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: because he's not

The only A listers in comics are Spider-Man,Superman, Wolverine, Batman and I guess WW only due to her being iconic

Then you have the ones just under A list like Ironman,hulk, dead pool and flag would come under this carter gory

He hasn't had enough films or general Audience exposure to be considered A lister but go anywhere in the world and they would've heard of the ones I've mentioned, He'll a lot of the people I know think Flash is the same as Flash Gordon form the film

#53 Posted by Pokeysteve (12031 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

@Pokeysteve said:

I find comic book Green Arrow to be a joke. Pre 52 that is. Haven't read any New 52 stuff.

You'd have a solid time in reading Jeff Lemire's run with the character. Works as a perfect jump on point. Following that, you could probably skip everything up until Benjamin Percy's current run.

Everything before Lemire was forgettable, and everything after until Percy was just bad. The tonal shift might be jarring, but considering how many times this book changed Creative Teams (especially when the writers of Arrow took over for one, painful arc) so many times, that's bound to happen.

Is that all new 52 stuff? I appreciate the suggestions.

#54 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@royal_warrior: Wolverine over The Flash? Sorry, Fam. I can't cosign that.And Iron Man is so A list.

@Pokeysteve: Not all of it, but the best Post-Flashpoint stuff in my opinion.

#55 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18397 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if the Arrow TV show was more of a show about Green Arrow being the smart ass, take no garbage, daring do kind of character he's supposed to be, instead of the Batman rip off he is, there's a CHANCE he it might make him stand out more. As it is, it's not going to want to read GA comics that much more because when they read one, they're going to be like "Hey? Who's THIS guy? He's not Arrow!"

Then he's back to a TV show, and will remain there, not affecting his comic counterpart much at all.

#56 Posted by Royal_Warrior (5059 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: seriously a character that has tons of solo films and team films, who was also in nearly ever comic book during the 90s and 2000s, Wolverine is definitely well above the flash in terms of popularity and herbal audience k owl edge

#57 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if the Arrow TV show was more of a show about Green Arrow being the smart ass, take no garbage, daring do kind of character he's supposed to be, instead of the Batman rip off he is, there's a CHANCE he it might make him stand out more. As it is, it's not going to want to read GA comics that much more because when they read one, they're going to be like "Hey? Who's THIS guy? He's not Arrow!"

Then he's back to a TV show, and will remain there, not affecting his comic counterpart much at all.

Probably not. Though, Arrow also has it's own comic series, so it might make people want to pick that up and then branch out to Green Arrow's main timeline counterpart.

#58 Posted by Stahlflamme (5858 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a B-List Batman or is Batman a B-List Batman with the B standing for Bat and transcending the A and S

Jokes aside. Not really.

#59 Edited by HeroUp2112 (18397 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: I don't know...how well does the regular GA series sell? If it's not like the TV Show, it's probably not going to boost sales noticeably at all. If it's not like the TV show, it also won't be affected by the TV show's audience.

I'm just saying if they steered it a little more towards the regular GA series, the MIGHT be able to boost sales a little. Right now they've got a "Gosh I wish we could use Batman", Batman show

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.