Do you Consider Green Arrow an A-List Superhero?

• 59 results
Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) 4 years, 29 days ago

Poll: Do you Consider Green Arrow an A-List Superhero? (63 votes)

Yes, I do. 27%
He's close, but not quite there. 35%
Not really. 35%
Green Who? 3%

Curious.

Green Arrow has been around for a long time, and at this point his time as a Batman pastiche and a more original character is about even. At this point, have his stories and characterization done enough to make him an A-List hero, with the likes of your typical Justice Leaguers?

Has Arrow, in particular, done enough for the character to make him a recognizable hit outside of comic book circles?

Do you think he's on the cusp, but missing something to make that happen?

Do you think he's firmly (and potentially eternally,) B-List?

Or do you think he's still a poor-man's Batman?

Personally, I think he's wholly established himself as a unique individual street-level character. His characterization has shifted to the point that, I think his stories are a lot different than people with little knowledge of current Arrow would expect.

Personally, I think he's on the cusp. I think we'll really see how he's addressed as a character in the next few years, depending on what WB and DC can do with the character outside of comics, whether that be more Arrow or a potential Green Arrow movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#1 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really.

#2 Posted by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

no. because he reminds me of Batman.

#3 Edited by Mrnoital (8226 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with on the cusp

my sister and her daughters love Arrow, so its doing something

but he's not even called Green Arrow there(yet)

Arrow takes bits from his entire history and combines it all into one character that's different from every other version

so I don't quite feel like that adds to people knowing who "Green" Arrow is

I think a Green Arrow movie would work really well, and there's lots of actors that could play a cool version of him, so he has room to grow

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
#4 Posted by QuinnoftheStoneAge (3663 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really

#5 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really

@xwraith said:

Not really.

Could I ask why not?

@cloakx14 said:

no. because he reminds me of Batman.

Might I ask if that's the only reason? Is there anything DC could do to change your mind about him?

@mrnoital said:

I agree with on the cusp

my sister and her daughters love Arrow, so its doing something

but he's not even called Green Arrow there(yet)

Arrow takes bits from his entire history and combines it all into one character that's different from every other version

so I don't quite feel like that adds to people knowing who "Green" Arrow is

I think a Green Arrow movie would work really well, and there's lots of actors that could play a cool version of him, so he has room to grow

I would honestly say, I'm gonna miss it when they actually start calling him Green Arrow. I like the simplicity and Green Arrow, while a solid code name, just doesn't sound as good as The Arrow to me.

As for the characterization, I think that's kind of cool. It's like when you compare Silver and Modern day Batman stories. Vastly different, but valid interpretations of the character. I think this is a fine interpretation, though admittedly not the best for everyone. Same as I prefer Silver Age Batman, some people prefer the comic incarnation of GA. Such as myself, (though I do like Arrow's characterization.)

#6 Posted by QuinnoftheStoneAge (3663 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: I consider an A list hero to be someone who is widely recognised outside of comic books, and I don't think Green Arrow is widely recognised by non comic readers

#7 Edited by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: I consider an A list hero to be someone who is widely recognised outside of comic books, and I don't think Green Arrow is widely recognised by non comic readers

So do you think if someone were to go out dressed as Green Arrow, they wouldn't get it? I mean, partially I think they'd get a Robin Hood vibe, but I think barring that, for them to say Green Arrow isn't a total whiff. Especially if you went New 52, who looks a lot less like him, but you'd probably get more with an Arrow costume.

#8 Edited by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost but no

#9 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: He's never been as widely marketed as Batman, Superman, etc.

#10 Posted by QuinnoftheStoneAge (3663 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

@quinnofthestoneage said:

So do you think if someone were to go out dressed as Green Arrow, they wouldn't get it? I mean, partially I think they'd get a Robin Hood vibe, but I think barring that, for them to say Green Arrow isn't a total whiff. Especially if you went New 52, who looks a lot less like him, but you'd probably get more with an Arrow costume.

I doubt many people would recognise him tbh, and yeah, I think they would probably guess Robin Hood

#11 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfabz-23 said:

Almost but no

Anything you think DC could do to change that?

@xwraith said:

True. So it's the marketing you think that's holding him back?

@scouterv said:

@quinnofthestoneage said:

I doubt many people would recognise him tbh, and yeah, I think they would probably guess Robin Hood

That's a fair assumption.

#12 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:
@xwraith said:

True. So it's the marketing you think that's holding him back?

That seems plausible.

#13 Edited by derekvang (1519 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, I still think he's more of a B-List at the most. Arrow has done a great job of getting people (that aren't into the comic books) into the character but he's only known as either the "Vigilante", the "Hood" or the "Arrow" and not fully Green Arrow so yeah. They don't quite know him as the sarcastic a-hole kind of Green Arrow that we know but I'm pretty sure the GA will probably know him once you bring up Arrow

#14 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: represent Green Arrow for who he is on Arrow. Because as much as I like te show, it doesn't scream Green Arrow not personality or costume wise. Because the TV universe is building up fast as well keep him and Flash as the face.

I look at all the DC heroes being adapted and Green Arrow and Captain Atom are the least recognisable. And lastly video games, DC needs more video game franchises and Green Arrow needs to be a part of them, they did well with Injustice and Lego Batman, now they should get like two more franchises out there.

#15 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not. He's not a household name like batman or superman or hulk or spiderman or wonder woman. The majority of people have no idea who GA is. Don't try to tell me Arrow makes him an A-list star.

#16 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a B list at best...

#17 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, I still think he's more of a B-List at the most. Arrow has done a great job of getting people (that aren't into the comic books) into the character but he's only known as either the "Vigilante", the "Hood" or the "Arrow" and not fully Green Arrow so yeah. They don't quite know him as the sarcastic a-hole kind of Green Arrow that we know but I'm pretty sure the GA will probably know him once you bring up Arrow

True, but I consider it sort of like the different sides of other characters. Like how Silver Age Camp and Modern Age Broody Batman are both acceptable versions of the character, even if one is more popular than the other. I like both versions, though I prefer comic GA, but I actually prefer calling him Arrow more often than not.

In your opinion though, what does DC have to do to make Arrow a household name?

@kfabz-23 said:

@scouterv: represent Green Arrow for who he is on Arrow. Because as much as I like te show, it doesn't scream Green Arrow not personality or costume wise. Because the TV universe is building up fast as well keep him and Flash as the face.

I look at all the DC heroes being adapted and Green Arrow and Captain Atom are the least recognisable. And lastly video games, DC needs more video game franchises and Green Arrow needs to be a part of them, they did well with Injustice and Lego Batman, now they should get like two more franchises out there.

I disagree. I think, given the various costumes Arrow has had over the years, this is, while different, it works for Arrow. I would also say that, over time, Oliver has grown a lot and developed a softer side since the show began. Maybe not as Oliver Queenish as his comic counterpart, but for a darker take, I think it works. I just wish it transitioned when he was in costume more.

Also, I disagree. I had no idea IZombie was even a DC property. Not to mention their talk of Hourman and I think G.I. Zombie. Lucifier Morningstar, is more well-known as a Public Domain entity in The Devil, as opposed to a DC Comics Character. Then there was Constantine, which may actually be more a 50/50 split with Arrow given the last movie, but still he's obscure. Then there's Vixen. Curious what you've heard of regarding Captain Atom though, because that's news to me if he's getting a show.

Personally, I don't think DC has the stones to do a non Batman game, but hopefully that changes when Arkham finally ends.

@jayc1324 said:

He's not. He's not a household name like batman or superman or hulk or spiderman or wonder woman. The majority of people have no idea who GA is. Don't try to tell me Arrow makes him an A-list star.

I'm not saying Arrow is what makes him an A-List star, but it has helped a lot of people who would otherwise be unaware of him, know about the character.

What I think makes him an A-Lister is his stories, and his admittedly few, outside media appearances and characterization. His time as a character on Justice League Unlimited, where his stories were some of the best ones, in my opinion. Arrow, and his placement in Injustice.

He is a B list at best...

Curious what makes you say that? Do you think he can rise above that, and if so, what do you think WB/DC would need to do to make that happen?

#18 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

"Curious what makes you say that?"

I think literally everyone in the world knows about Batman, Superman, and Spider wimp. Not Green Arrow.

"Do you think he can rise above that, and if so, what do you think WB/DC would need to do to make that happen?"

No. Do you think Hawkeye could rise above his reputation? Probably not.

#19 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@username12345: Why couldn't Hawkeye or Green Arrow rise above their reputations?

Some solid live-action abd extended media appearances, with likable actors portraying them, I think they could. That's how it worked for other characters.

#20 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

@username12345: Why couldn't Hawkeye or Green Arrow rise above their reputations?

Some solid live-action abd extended media appearances, with likable actors portraying them, I think they could. That's how it worked for other characters.

Because compared to Batman, the prep and martial arts master, and Superman, who's very powerful, he shoots arrows...

Also, I don't think this is entirely fair, some people think Green Arrow is a Batman rip off.

#21 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@username12345: So did Robin Hood, but he's a classic literary figure. Besides, it's not a measuring contest. I mean, Batman became popular despite Superman outclassing him in...well everything except money and sidekicks, and that applies to just about every popular character today.

Also, if we're talking fair, how many of those people have read a Green Arrow comic and know at least a little about the character.

#22 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

Superman doesn't outclass Batman in martial arts, smarts, and holding kryptonite. But I digress, I can't imaging DC pushing Green Arrow hard or long enough for even the potential, not even a sure fire hit, to have the marketability and success of Batman and Superman, and I'm not sure why they would want to, no offense to Green Arrow of course.

I think it's safe to assume that some of them have read Green Arrow and some of them have not. With "the arrow cave" and Oliver Queen being very rich like Bruce Wayne I think it's a fair idea to have. Not one I agree with. And like I said I don't necessarily think it's true.

#23 Posted by AwesomeHobos (156 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion he would be. I'd consider an A-list character as someone who makes their case for being a founding Justice Leaguer. Those characters would be Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, either Hawkman or Hawkwoman and Green Arrow. I think his liberal views, borderline womanizer personality, and commitment to justice for the little guy make him a powerful character that works well as a foil for the rest of the league who looks at a big picture, a 12th man if you will. I'd argue in some cases he can be better than Batman, he comes off more real when he makes mistakes. It's humanizing to see him fail because his personal views got in the way and then to see him rise above that, committed as ever to those views. So while everyone in America might not know his name, I don't believe he's any less important. Also I completely agree that he would make an awesome video game. I think the people who made Sleeping Dogs should make it.

#24 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

Superman doesn't outclass Batman in martial arts, smarts, and holding kryptonite. But I digress, I can't imaging DC pushing Green Arrow hard or long enough for even the potential, not even a sure fire hit, to have the marketability and success of Batman and Superman, and I'm not sure why they would want to, no offense to Green Arrow of course.

I think it's safe to assume that some of them have read Green Arrow and some of them have not. With "the arrow cave" and Oliver Queen being very rich like Bruce Wayne I think it's a fair idea to have. Not one I agree with. And like I said I don't necessarily think it's true.

True, but to be honest, how many of those 127 martial arts do we see? Also, Smarts is debatable, and where do you think Bruce gets Kryptonite? (The real kind, not synthetic stuff.) And not even Wonder Woman has the success of Superman or Batman at this point, but she's still a highly regarded character. Think of it like the NBA Dream Team (the original one, not the 2012 team.) Superman and Batman are like the Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson of the team. Tough to put anyone against them. However, you can't discredit the likes of Larry Bird and Scottie Pippen. Not as marketable and successful as Magic and MJ, but still remembered as greats in their own right. What I'm saying is, even if Arrow isn't Magic Johnson, he can still be Larry Bird.

Also, to be fair, I don't think Arrow has an actual "Arrowcave," but more a bunker. Not sure if it has a name or not at this point, at least in the comics. (And Oliver wasn't cool with the Arrowcave name in the show either, but it stuck.) And there are plenty of rich superheroes. Luthor, Stark, Kord, Curry, right off the top of my head. I just don't think people could/should be that shallow, but you're probably right.

In my opinion he would be. I'd consider an A-list character as someone who makes their case for being a founding Justice Leaguer. Those characters would be Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, either Hawkman or Hawkwoman and Green Arrow. I think his liberal views, borderline womanizer personality, and commitment to justice for the little guy make him a powerful character that works well as a foil for the rest of the league who looks at a big picture, a 12th man if you will. I'd argue in some cases he can be better than Batman, he comes off more real when he makes mistakes. It's humanizing to see him fail because his personal views got in the way and then to see him rise above that, committed as ever to those views. So while everyone in America might not know his name, I don't believe he's any less important. Also I completely agree that he would make an awesome video game. I think the people who made Sleeping Dogs should make it.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Though now, I'm curious. Do you think anyone not from the Leagues founding team has a chance at making it in the A-List? Like...for example...Static? How about any of the Robins?

As for a game, I think I'd actually like to see it take on more a Prince of Persia feel with ranged elements and gadgetry. Have him flipping and spinning around Seattle, running over the side of one building while shooting a grappling hook Arrow over to another to zip-line across the streets.

I'd actually like to see the first arcs of the GA series turned into a game, where he's making a name for himself fighting villains who are like celebrities because they're doing stuff online.

#25 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

Depending in the version: Batmans main style of fighting, based on the solidity of his stance, and the power focused thrust kicks and punches, seems to be a combination of karate, Judo, aikido, and Krav Maga, or it's primarily kung fu based. However, I can account multiple times of him using all sorts of different forms of martial arts. But wether he uses all his martial arts or not, it's not stopping him from being factually more skilled than Superman. Batman being smarter than Superman is kind of a confirmed fact at this point. He's outsmarted Superman AND Lex Luther on too many instances to count on both hands. But I'm not suggesting Superman is dumb. Also please don't use the "superman is like a super feat mega computer" argument, knowledge is worthless when relatively unpracticed. Batman got GK from Superman himself, slivers of meteorites, or he stole some from some Super bad guys, depending on the version.

To be fair, after Arkham I don't want a solo game with Batman, Green Arrow, Superman, or anyone. I want a Justice League crossover game. With sections where you play as Batman similar to the Arkham games, Superman like in the new Saints row, and Green Arrow and Green Lantern in a style similar to a shooting game. Since video games seem to be your biggest selling point at the moment. That or have WB Montreal make a Batman Year One game in the Arkham verse could also be an idea I'm fond of, but in a perfect world I'd want JL first.

He does in fact have an Arrow cave. And an Arrow mobile. Luther isn't a super hero (at least not originally) and like I said there are obvious parallels only a fool would deny that could be detrimental to his rise that you wish to happen, but I don't agree with that he's a complete rip off.

#26 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

Depending in the version: Batmans main style of fighting, based on the solidity of his stance, and the power focused thrust kicks and punches, seems to be a combination of karate, Judo, aikido, and Krav Maga, or it's primarily kung fu based. However, I can account multiple times of him using all sorts of different forms of martial arts. But wether he uses all his martial arts or not, it's not stopping him from being factually more skilled than Superman. Batman being smarter than Superman is kind of a confirmed fact at this point. He's outsmarted Superman AND Lex Luther on too many instances to count on both hands. But I'm not suggesting Superman is dumb. Also please don't use the "superman is like a super feat mega computer" argument, knowledge is worthless when relatively unpracticed. Batman got GK from Superman himself, slivers of meteorites, or he stole some from some Super bad guys, depending on the version.

To be fair, after Arkham I don't want a solo game with Batman, Green Arrow, Superman, or anyone. I want a Justice League crossover game. With sections where you play as Batman similar to the Arkham games, Superman like in the new Saints row, and Green Arrow and Green Lantern in a style similar to a shooting game. Since video games seem to be your biggest selling point at the moment. That or have WB Montreal make a Batman Year One game in the Arkham verse could also be an idea I'm fond of, but in a perfect world I'd want JL first.

He does in fact have an Arrow cave. And an Arrow mobile. Luther isn't a super hero (at least not originally) and like I said there are obvious parallels only a fool would deny that could be detrimental to his rise that you wish to happen, but I don't agree with that he's a complete rip off.

True. When it comes to Martial Arts, no one can deny Batman's a genius and master. As for smarts, you said it yourself. Super Computer, but I think this is one instance we'll have to agree to disagree on. Using science and chemistry is a big part of what Batman does. Not so much with Superman, so it's an underrepresented skill he has, but he is indeed super intelligent.

As for no more solo games, I think that's a little unfair. We got an awesome series with Batman, but I would personally like to see a Superman game done well, or a Green Arrow game. Maybe a Green Lantern game. I mean we've already had a Justice League game in the LEGO Batman sequels, which may as well be called LEGO DC Universe, but we've only had the chance to really explore Batman and Gotham and learn about his corner of the DC Universe without really getting a chance to see anything else. While a Justice League game would be fun, I don't necessarily think we should skip straight to a Justice League game just because the Arkham series is finished.

Are you sure? Because I'm iffy on if Arrow calls his hideout the Arrowcave, and most of the time I've seen Queen travel it's been on Queencorp tech or with his Glider Arrow, or on his motorcycle. If you mean pre-Flashpoint, then yeah I'm with you, but It's not ringing a bell post-Flashpoint. And I agree they are similar,but they are key differences. It's like I told one guy who asked what the point of Green Arrow was.

Oliver isn't the same as Bruce.

Oliver, as you said, is more outspoken, but also a lot more light-hearted as a character, whereas Bruce is super-serious most of the time.

In a sense though, Oliver is a "Social Conscious." He's there to keep the Supers connected to the people, and speak for the little guys. That's not really something Batman does. Yes, he's also the joker on a team, and he's got money and connections if needed, but considering his team has Government Funding it's not what he's there for. - in regards to what GA brings to the heroic community and to the JLA/U.

#27 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6880 posts) - - Show Bio

The best part of Arrow is at the end when Green Arrow appears in the DC symbol.

#28 Edited by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: All that stuff you listed is what makes him B-list, and that's good. But he's certainly not A-list. He simply doesn't hold up to the popularity of DC's Trinity, Spider-man, Wolverine and the Avengers. The Fantastic Four is bigger too. There were tons of characters in JLU and Injustice

#29 Posted by safefruitcake (636 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Arrow helped launch him to maybe B-List, but it would take a solo movie, or movie appearance, to complete his journey to A-List.

#30 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

@scouterv: All that stuff you listed is what makes him B-list, and that's good. But he's certainly not A-list. He simply doesn't hold up to the popularity of DC's Trinity, Spider-man, Wolverine and the Avengers. The Fantastic Four is bigger too. There were tons of characters in JLU and Injustice

How does that stuff make him B-List?

And yes, but few of them really stood out in JLU and his story in the Injustice Comics, not to mention the fact that Stephen Amell did a little work for the game puts him a bit above characters like...Killer Frost, Raven, Cyborg, etc.

I'd say Arrow helped launch him to maybe B-List, but it would take a solo movie, or movie appearance, to complete his journey to A-List.

Curious. Do you have a particular story you'd like to see done for a Green Arrow movie?

#31 Edited by AwesomeHobos (156 posts) - - Show Bio
@scouterv said:
@username12345 said:

@scouterv:

True, but to be honest, how many of those 127 martial arts do we see? Also, Smarts is debatable, and where do you think Bruce gets Kryptonite? (The real kind, not synthetic stuff.) And not even Wonder Woman has the success of Superman or Batman at this point, but she's still a highly regarded character. Think of it like the NBA Dream Team (the original one, not the 2012 team.) Superman and Batman are like the Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson of the team. Tough to put anyone against them. However, you can't discredit the likes of Larry Bird and Scottie Pippen. Not as marketable and successful as Magic and MJ, but still remembered as greats in their own right. What I'm saying is, even if Arrow isn't Magic Johnson, he can still be Larry Bird.

Also, to be fair, I don't think Arrow has an actual "Arrowcave," but more a bunker. Not sure if it has a name or not at this point, at least in the comics. (And Oliver wasn't cool with the Arrowcave name in the show either, but it stuck.) And there are plenty of rich superheroes. Luthor, Stark, Kord, Curry, right off the top of my head. I just don't think people could/should be that shallow, but you're probably right.

@awesomehobos said:

That's an interesting way to look at it. Though now, I'm curious. Do you think anyone not from the Leagues founding team has a chance at making it in the A-List? Like...for example...Static? How about any of the Robins?

As for a game, I think I'd actually like to see it take on more a Prince of Persia feel with ranged elements and gadgetry. Have him flipping and spinning around Seattle, running over the side of one building while shooting a grappling hook Arrow over to another to zip-line across the streets.

I'd actually like to see the first arcs of the GA series turned into a game, where he's making a name for himself fighting villains who are like celebrities because they're doing stuff online.

I definitely think other characters, especially Robin can be considered A-list but the league was the baseline I was using to define why I believe Green Arrow is. I think the Prince of Persia thing is a really cool idea, I think that type of maneuverability would make a Mirror's Edge style game fun which could really take advantage of aiming like an Archer, and throughout the game you could hone that skill. As far as villains, I wouldn't mind a little bit of that stuff in the beginning but I would want to play a game as the charming GA who goes around and save princesses like in the Green Arrow: Showcase.

And to jump in on the post above mine, I believe there's a great deal of difference in Batman and Green Arrow. I believe a lot of that is determined by what they fight. Batman is fighting mentally deranged killers whereas when GA is at his best, he's fighting social justice in the text as well as metatextualy. For instance if GA was in Gotham I could see him starting campaigns to secure Arkham to where killers don't break out every day and to find ways to clean up the narrows. And he would detest the elitist attitudes of Gotham's rich who he would call to action to help the city. He's very brazen. And in ways he does outclass Batman. He has better aim, he's arguably more durable, he has better facial hair, and he arguably keeps people safer. Also from what I've read and in my head canon, the arrow-cave was something he had early in his career when he wasn't as experienced or serious about what he was doing, and yes it was a direct copy of Batman. But he did retire it with the arrow car and arrow plane. And yes that was pre-flashpoint.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#32 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

Reality is, there is only about a few true A listers. Characters who are so recognizable everyone knows who they are, regardless if they've ever seen a movie or read a comic or visited the toy section of a store.

#33 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:
@username12345 said:

@scouterv:

@awesomehobos said:

I definitely think other characters, especially Robin can be considered A-list but the league was the baseline I was using to define why I believe Green Arrow is. I think the Prince of Persia thing is a really cool idea, I think that type of maneuverability would make a Mirror's Edge style game fun which could really take advantage of aiming like an Archer, and throughout the game you could hone that skill. As far as villains, I wouldn't mind a little bit of that stuff in the beginning but I would want to play a game as the charming GA who goes around and save princesses like in the Green Arrow: Showcase.

And to jump in on the post above mine, I believe there's a great deal of difference in Batman and Green Arrow. I believe a lot of that is determined by what they fight. Batman is fighting mentally deranged killers whereas when GA is at his best, he's fighting social justice in the text as well as metatextualy. For instance if GA was in Gotham I could see him starting campaigns to secure Arkham to where killers don't break out every day and to find ways to clean up the narrows. And he would detest the elitist attitudes of Gotham's rich who he would call to action to help the city. He's very brazen. And in ways he does outclass Batman. He has better aim, he's arguably more durable, he has better facial hair, and he arguably keeps people safer. Also from what I've read and in my head canon, the arrow-cave was something he had early in his career when he wasn't as experienced or serious about what he was doing, and yes it was a direct copy of Batman. But he did retire it with the arrow car and arrow plane. And yes that was pre-flashpoint.

I think that's a solid route. I would honestly take different elements of Green Arrow to create an awesome game. Like, have him fight street-level crime early in the game, with a few basic arrows, and a finite amount per-level. Afterwards, you either return to your Bunker to get new Arrows or spend the rest of the level relying primarily on your hand-to-hand and free-running skills.

Have him start out say...facing down The Count (the original version from Arrow,) who creates the drug Vertigo. He starts out with Boxing Glove, Bola, and Zipline arrows. After he racks up a few captures, he can progress in the game and get new arrows like the Glider Arrow, Electric Arrow, etc. and face foes like the comic version of version of Vertigo, Brick, Deathstroke, Leer, Komodo, etc. ultimately having to go toe-to-toe with Richard Dragon II and The Outsiders, (Richard having taken over the Fist Clan, and made them top dog among The Outsiders,) and seeking revenge for what happened before. Of course, not saying he won't stop to save a young lady in need.

Playable characters and/or potential partners include Diggle, Emiko, Shado, Magus, Dart, Roy, etc. who have their own specialties and skills.

#34 Posted by Mrnoital (8226 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

Curious. Do you have a particular story you'd like to see done for a Green Arrow movie?

the safest route for that would probably be an origin story, possibly mixed with a story of him currently

a mix of Year One, and Lemire's run, and I want to think a bit of the guys from the current run wouldn't be bad

#35 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: what do you mean how does it make him B-list? Its puts his name out there for people to know. It just doesn't put him anywhere near Batman or Superman. Green Arrow cannot be compared to any other A-listers in popularity, like the guys I listed before.

#36 Posted by derekvang (1519 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: Well, I mean DC can push him a bit more I guess by either making him a film or adding him to the line up of the Justice League roster but other than that, I don't really quite know. Also calling him Arrow is actually easier than just saying the whole Green Arrow name but I guess but I still like to call him Green Arrow, I don't know why but I just do

#37 Posted by johnny_blaze (1357 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does every superhero need to be an A-lister? I like Green Arrow where he's at.

#38 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does every superhero need to be an A-lister? I like Green Arrow where he's at.

It's not a question of need, but one of natural evolution and public perception.

#39 Posted by THORSON (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

what does A-list mean?

like super popular with the audience or popular in the comic universe? or both?

If so then I say because of that batman, he has lost his edge compared to years ago.

#40 Posted by McFlicky (405 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I hardly see him in anything.

#41 Posted by Abishai100 (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

Ready...Aim...Bronze

Well, Superman possesses invincible strength and strength is a key theme in comic books. Batman tackles the criminally insane, and that is a really intriguing traffic-related issue. Captain America and Spider-Man defend the everyday pedestrian and have become quite popular. Wonder Woman and Scarlet Witch are great gender symbols in the comic book world.

Lower-tiered heroes such as Daredevil, Green Lantern, and Storm are awesome representatives of comic book fanfare.

For Green Arrow to break into the ranks of Superman and Batman, we really need something to apply a mainstream society totem to him. Oliver Queen is a lot like Tony Stark (Iron Man) and Bruce Wayne (Batman), so his dual-identity as Green Arrow has promise for valuable (and interesting) society art critique.

I like thinking that Green Arrow is America's version of Robin Hood, an archer who defends the needs of the little guy. Why not? Modern era traffic is all about social networking and contracts and navigation, and capitalist institutions such as Target department stores and Citizens Bank symbolize society investments in goal coordination. Robin Hood and Green Arrow are both great archers (even though the latter is fictional!) who represent human fascination with aim and goals (isn't that what archery is all about?).

I'd like to see Citizens Banks start marketing Green Arrow as their special occasion (or investment deal) mascot. "Consider our investment rates and become a better Wall Street archer...just like Oliver Queen."

That's what Arrow lacks --- a punchline or segue into mainstream consciousness. Otherwise, Green Arrow (DC Comics) art is top-notch and at least rivals Superboy or Deadpool. Why else did the CW invest in an Arrow TV series which featured a cross-over appearance of Ra's al Ghul, a traditional nemesis of the mainstream (and immensely popular) DC superhero Batman? I see Superman getting Gold, Batman getting Silver, and Green Arrow potentially edging out Captain America and Daredevil for a satisfying Bronze.

No Caption Provided

#42 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

Ready...Aim...Bronze

Well, Superman possesses invincible strength and strength is a key theme in comic books. Batman tackles the criminally insane, and that is a really intriguing traffic-related issue. Captain America and Spider-Man defend the everyday pedestrian and have become quite popular. Wonder Woman and Scarlet Witch are great gender symbols in the comic book world.

Lower-tiered heroes such as Daredevil, Green Lantern, and Storm are awesome representatives of comic book fanfare.

For Green Arrow to break into the ranks of Superman and Batman, we really need something to apply a mainstream society totem to him. Oliver Queen is a lot like Tony Stark (Iron Man) and Bruce Wayne (Batman), so his dual-identity as Green Arrow has promise for valuable (and interesting) society art critique.

I like thinking that Green Arrow is America's version of Robin Hood, an archer who defends the needs of the little guy. Why not? Modern era traffic is all about social networking and contracts and navigation, and capitalist institutions such as Target department stores and Citizens Bank symbolize society investments in goal coordination. Robin Hood and Green Arrow are both great archers (even though the latter is fictional!) who represent human fascination with aim and goals (isn't that what archery is all about?).

I'd like to see Citizens Banks start marketing Green Arrow as their special occasion (or investment deal) mascot. "Consider our investment rates and become a better Wall Street archer...just like Oliver Queen."

That's what Arrow lacks --- a punchline or segue into mainstream consciousness. Otherwise, Green Arrow (DC Comics) art is top-notch and at least rivals Superboy or Deadpool. Why else did the CW invest in an Arrow TV series which featured a cross-over appearance of Ra's al Ghul, a traditional nemesis of the mainstream (and immensely popular) DC superhero Batman? I see Superman getting Gold, Batman getting Silver, and Green Arrow potentially edging out Captain America and Daredevil for a satisfying Bronze.

No Caption Provided

Well, many note Green Arrow as a much more socially conscious hero than most. In recent issues, he's tackled some somewhat realistic issues (albeit through the lens of classic comic book storytelling). Police brutality, racial and socio-economic profiling, and now government placement and neglect following outright lies...

#43 Posted by Abishai100 (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

Array of Admiration

Green Arrow shoots his array of arrows as an urban vigilante, creating new 'track patterns' in the night atmosphere of the American city and countering the acid-rain eco-terrorism schemes of a nemesis such as Count Vertigo: "Acid rain drops give humanity a numbness of the mind!"

I would say Green Arrow could become more prominent with treatments to more skill-based archery excellence presentation themes in his vigilante character (and characterization in stand-alone and Green Lantern Hal Jordan merged storylines). Then, his personal profile can be introduced (i.e., political views) more liberally. You really should start with the archery for Green Arrow Oliver Queen.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
#44 Posted by linsanel_Doctor (8630 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at the moment

#45 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends. What constitutes an A list hero?

#46 Edited by Mrnoital (8226 posts) - - Show Bio

DC seems to be treating him a little like one, or want him to be, but aren't sure how to go about it

his tittle is one of the few to survive the New 52 to issue 52, but he's not in any team books anymore

he has a tv show, but almost half the time they're putting their own spin on a Batman story (season 3)

still B-list, but if he get's a movie in DC's second wave, then he'll be A-list, but that won't be until sometime after 2020

#47 Posted by Royal_Warrior (5059 posts) - - Show Bio

A list super heroes don't do TV series

#48 Edited by Mrnoital (8226 posts) - - Show Bio

@royal_warrior: so The Flash isn't A list?

or Bruce Wayne? or Jim Gordon or anyone on Gotham?

#49 Posted by Pokeysteve (12029 posts) - - Show Bio

I find comic book Green Arrow to be a joke. Pre 52 that is. Haven't read any New 52 stuff.

#50 Posted by Royal_Warrior (5059 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: flash isn't an A lister

Jim Gordon an A lister? Is hat a joke

Ofc BAtman is but this is A child Bruce Wayne and by no means would he be considered an A lister

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.