Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly Discuss Their Excitement for Writing Grayson

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Dick Grayson has been on a tremendous journey the past few years at DC Comics, and this May, Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly are taking control of Grayson for issues #18-20. We chatted with the writing team over the phone about their excitement for the opportunity and what's coming down the line for the character.

Grayson #18 cover by Mikel Janin
    Grayson #18 cover by Mikel Janin

Comic Vine: How excited are you two to be working on Grayson?

Jackson Lanzing: Insanely excited. We are insanely, insanely excited. It is absolutely my favorite book at DC right now. It's a book I've been reading, as a fan, since issue one. It's a book that introduced me to how amazing Tom King is and helped cement my sizable respect for Tim Seeley. It's the book that introduced us to Mikel Janin, who is a real artist. It's a book that took Dick Grayson and put him in the center of his own world, not one defined by Batman or Gotham. We've been huge fans of the book and tried to hold ourselves and try to write stories and characters as well as the others managed to do. So getting the call to be like "do you guys want to come in and write a few issues of Grayson?" was equally exciting and incredibly daunting.

Collin Kelly: We came into DC with Batman & Robin Eternaland the amazing team there, which was stunning, but our issues really focussed in on Jason Todd and Tim Drake and we focussed a tiny bit on Dick Grayson, but not as much as we wanted. We love thew Bat-Family and the shadows that Bruce casts. The fact that we get to bring all that fun and energy of Dick Grayson to it, looking what he brings to the table, is just a dream. He's our favorite Robin, hands down. The fact that he's rising in importance in the DCU only makes us more excited to dive in.

Lanzing: For what it's worth, so I can get a little controversial, he's not my favorite Robin. I would like to go on record as being more of a fan of the outsidery Robins, but what's been really interesting about Grayson, the book, is that it turned him into my favorite character. It has nothing to do with him being Robin. It has to do with who this guy is because he's so many things. It's all on that first page, in Grayson. "I'm Grayson, Robin, Nightwing, fallen hero, and now a spy." Dick Grayson has a million facets and each of those facets really means something about him. I think that's what kind of lovely about Dick Grayson. When you look at a lot of other characters, they are defined by one or two intensely specific character traits, and with Dick Grayson, he has a full life. He's a character we've seen grow up and build a full identity. He's become a character we love, but I think what's amazing about him is that he's really transcended the Robin label in a way that none of the other Robins have.

Kelly: To give you a peek behind the curtain of our process, that's the first time we've ever fought or disagreed.

Lanzing: [laughs]

Dick has gone through some interesting changes from "dying" to working for Spyral to working against Spyral. Did you find working on this story to be a bit challenging considering this character's journey?

Kelly: Absolutely. That's an excellent point. The point of Grayson, as a book, has been discovering where he fits within the myriad of networks of spies and counter-spies and superheroes and super-villains. One of the most amazing things that Tom and Tim have been able to do is layer on all of these different levels lusciously. There's all this amazing depth in all these characters and lies within lies which we inherent, for better or for worse, so getting to come into this sandbox that's so filled with such excitement and espionage and mystery was daunting, but it also meant that we had the most potential to succeed because there's so much dangling and so many mysteries on the table. We got to come in and really find some very fascinating and very exciting answers that otherwise might have fallen into the shadows.

Lanzing: I think that last word answers that kind of headline. We are looking to bring some light into the dark shadows that have been surrounding Grayson up through our first issue, issue #18. He has discovered a lot of the truth behind the plan that was put into place. He created a really powerful relationship with Tiger. He's an outstanding partner and friend for him [Grayson]. He's now facing down, as of issue #16, an incredibly broad array of super-spies from around the DC Universe, who have their sites on Dick. To Tom and Tim's credit, they've been incredibly gracious and talked to us about it and helped us understand all the ins and outs, so we can really write it in a way that respects what they built but also they've been very willing to allow us to run on our own merit and DC has as well. We felt a lot a more comfortable coming onto this book because of our editor, Rebecca Taylor. She has an absolutely outstanding story mind and is one we've relied on, formally and informally, throughout our careers.

At the end of We Are Robin, Dick is working for the Parliment of Owls. Will you be covering this at all in your story?

Kelly: That's an excellent question, but we're going to have to leave it hanging. You'll have to read to find out.

Lanzing: We are looking to tackle all of the aspects of Dick Grayson, but at the same time, how much [do we] engage with Batman mythos? How much do we engage with Gotham? How much of our issues in this book are going to be really focussed on the world that's been established for Dick Grayson? We are airing much further towards the main book than towards the Gotham or Batman side of things. As much as we're interested in the Parliament of Owls, I loved Robin War and all of that, I don't want to make it sound like we're forefronting that during our run, but we're going to be playing with the toys that are already in the book.

Interiors by Roge Antonio
    Interiors by Roge Antonio

Roge Antonio is doing the art. What does he bring to the book?

Lanzing: Roge is amazing. Roge is the first guy that we worked with at DC and has an amazing amount of action chops and character chops both of which I've been so pleased. He told the Red Robin, Tim Drake, Bane fight in Batman & Robin Eternal, which was our first issue at DC comics. He helped us feel comfortable when we weren't sure if our stuff was going to translate into superhero comics. So being able to bring him onto this was a big relief.

Kelly: He has a way of really being able to place small moments through character and physicality that not every artist can tackle. At the same time, he can make the most vicious fight scenes. In our issues, there's some very serious stuff. This isn't just some slap fights. This is, in a lot of cases, to the death. That means Dick is coming at you with his escrima sticks and it's going to hurt, which Roge absolutely brings the pain and at the same time is able to use the nuance to land those character feats and keep the book instilled with that fundamental energy and kineticism and a little bit of sexiness.

Thanks to Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly for chatting with us. Their issues of Grayson go on sale in May, starting on issue #18.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sounds good.. hope they continue the takeaways from Robin War. Really wanted to see what was next.

Also, will this series even matter come Rebirth??

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

>3 issues

>"run"

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good.

I am really glad they are excited about Dick.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good.. hope they continue the takeaways from Robin War. Really wanted to see what was next.

Also, will this series even matter come Rebirth??

I'm guessing this series will rap up the Grayson arcs, then Rebirth will deal with the Parliament of owls stuff as a starting point.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dankhan6: i dont know dude, Rebirth is sounding more like a hard reboot of characters and storylines completely. I can see it wiping out what the new 52 established unfortunately.

but i hope you're right.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dotwilson: We still don't know what Rebirth is, so we can't call it a reboot until we learn more about it. They even said Rebirth wasn't a reboot so we should wait and see.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang3: we kinda do know though from numerous interviews... and yea, they said it isnt a reboot, but of course they're gonna say that. I dont think rebirth is an official reboot where the DC universe is gonna start over completely... but i do think that most things the new 52 established will be wiped clean.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dankhan6: i dont know dude, Rebirth is sounding more like a hard reboot of characters and storylines completely. I can see it wiping out what the new 52 established unfortunately.

but i hope you're right.

They said in the newsarama interview that Geoff Johns set Dick Grayson up for Rebirth in Forever Evil. So I highly doubt it's a reboot. Also they said it isn't a reboot. Probably some slight retooling and adding things to N52 that are missing.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By apokos7
    @dotwilson said:

@nightfang3: we kinda do know though from numerous interviews... and yea, they said it isnt a reboot, but of course they're gonna say that. I dont think rebirth is an official reboot where the DC universe is gonna start over completely... but i do think that most things the new 52 established will be wiped clean.

Rebirth is not a reboot, it's a return to legacy. Which means they will most definitely retcon things that didn't work both pre and post Flashpoint, but I don't see why they would throw away things that worked nicely like Snyder's-Capullo's Batman, Manapul's-Buccellato's Flash, Johns' Aquaman, Justice League and Green Lantern, Lemire's-Sorrentino's Green Arrow, Tomasi's-Gleason's Batman and Robin, Superman Unchained, etc.

Grayson was great and I am really looking forward to those last 3 issues. I also trust DC with where they are going with Rebirth and after that.

Edit: I might be stating the obvious here, but my guess is that the Rebirth issues of each title will kind of tell us exactly which things happened (as in what stories mattered) before every #1.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I still miss Janin's art on this.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

This is sad news. I'm definitely going to give the new team a chance, but much of my reason for purchasing this book was Janin, King, and Seeley.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If everything that happened in Grayson will be ignored after Rebirth I'm seriously going to be mad, especially if the rumors about Helena are true. The writers sound nice enough but personally I do not see how Forever Evil was in any way good for the character. Yeah, Grayson came out of it but that had nothing to do with FE.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Well, me too. Hopefully they can bring just a little bit more of this newer, fresher dick before DC brings back the old dick.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.