• 87 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

GRAYSON has been building and building a conflict between Midnighter and Dick Grayson, and, in this week's new issue, that conflict is going to explode. These two are going to duke it out, but how can Grayson hope to overcome Midnighter's advantages? We had the opportunity to talk with co-writers Tom King and Tim Seeley about this week's new issue. We asked them plenty about the dynamic between these two and tried to get some hints about the series' future.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: When you think of characters for Dick Grayson to fight, Midnighter doesn't exactly jump to mind since he's on a whole different level. What's it like balancing a dilemma between these two?

TOM KING: Well, that's what makes it fun, right? You sit down at your screen and you're like, "Dick can't win this fight. Every move he makes, Midnighter's going to know it's coming one second before hand. So what can Dick do to get around that?" That's the challenge, that's what makes it cool or else it's just two guys -- I mean, that's the old Stan Lee quote: Thing versus Thor is just two guys boxing. It's actually easy and fun; that makes it thrilling to write. We had this big debate over could Dick outlast Midnighter, given his enhancements. And I was like, "Yeah, that's what makes him special; that's what makes Dick Dick. Even with no super powers, he can go beyond the super powered.

CV: What made Midnighter initially come to mind?

TK: It was Tim's idea to put him in the book but when I saw it I was like, "Yeah, no brainier. That's obvious." Why the match is perfect is because basically Midnighter started out as a type of commentary on Batman books. He was a Batman stand-in in the Wildstorm universe. To take that, once he enters the DCU, and to have him be Batman, but not quite Batman; Batman with an extra edge and with a different perspective on life. Sort of Batman but different and with Dick Grayson that's just a perfect mix and just creates tension.

TIM SEELEY: Just by its virtue, the Wildstorm universe, at the time Midnighter was created, was sort of a more cynical world than the DC universe at the time. It was more involved in politics and more from the headlines. To recognize those things being important to the creation of the character and bring him into this super spy political thriller made so much sense. The genre is a great way to utilize a very cool character.

CV: So what made you guys go with Huntress?

TK: To begin, Huntress comes from Tim's outline, so I give him credit for that. It's a brilliant idea. For me, it seems to make so much sense because basically she almost has that Batman female origin. She shares that origin that Batman and Dick have of having gone through this violent period when she was young and coming out of that a hero. We wanted to play with that. We wanted to play with the dichotomy of what Barbara is in Dick's life versus what Helena is in Dick's life. Helena's much closer to what Batman is and much closer to the father figure Dick was related to, so I think that creates immediate tension and fun stuff we can play with. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it; that's what the Futures End issue was all about.

TS: To me, what intrigued me about it is this idea that Dick has gotten used to dealing with someone like Bruce. Bruce is intense and withdrawn and broody; Dick knows how to deal with that kind of person. Whereas Helena may have been very difficult for someone else, he's able to understand her better but she's also a little different than Batman.

No Caption Provided

CV: Covers and solicitations can sometimes be very misleading. This one promotes a big fight between the two, so please tell me it's more than a page or saved until the cliffhanger!

TK: Yes, it's a super-cool fight. Mikel [Janin] drew the crud out of it.

TS: It's long, too. It's 8 or 9 pages, I think. It's no bullcrap. When we say two characters are going to brawl and we put it on a cover, we mean it.

TK: I think to your first point about solicitations, I want to say that, as creators, we're as frustrated as the fans are or as I am as a fan. Usually what happens is we submit a plot and then something comes up in terms of either continuity or something unexpected and it needs to change. And when it does, we can't go back and change it. Let me assure you everyone at DC tries to fight it and we do what we can.

CV: Going beyond issue 6, are there any other pre-existing characters you really want to bring into this spy world?

TK: Oh man, I'm going to have to bite my tongue on this one! Our plans coming up are huge. It involves a ton of the DC universe spy world. I wish I could say more. I can't wait to write some of these characters.

TS: The answer is "all of them!"

CV: Does this happen to include any famous mercenaries... maybe someone that has a history with Grayson?

TK: He's asking about Deathstroke.

CV: I didn't say Deathstroke! But...

TK: At conventions, I always ask people who Dick Grayson's arch nemesis is and I'd say about 50% of people say Deathstroke. I think that's got to be addressed at some point.

TS: Yeah, it's never been established what their history is in The New 52. I like the character but it wasn't one of my immediate choices. But yeah, we're never averse to giving people what they want.

TK: See, now I have to re-solicit stuff!

No Caption Provided

CV: Speaking of Grayson's rogues gallery, it isn't exactly all that memorable. Aside from bringing in other characters who will help the themes, are you aiming to go back in Dick Grayson's history and reinvent any of his previous rogues?

TK: Our mission statement from day 1 was to create a nemesis for Dick Grayson that's as cool and as interesting as the Joker is for Batman. That's a long-term plan. Part of it will be drawn from Dick's past and part of it will be brand new crazy, cool stuff.

TS: For whatever reason, I had the same problem you had. I read Nightwing for years and his villains just didn't click for me. Great villains sort of make you learn something new about the hero and unfortunately I think most of those characters for Dick Grayson really didn't do that except for Deathstroke, sort of as a teacher, mentor and anti-Batman. That's a lesson we have to learn while doing this. Because there's a reason they didn't stick as well, so that's why we have to give you some stuff that's awesome.

CV: Is the return of Damian Wayne going to be addressed since they have a good amount of history?

TS: Yes, it will be addressed. I mean, it has to be. Where and when, we're not going to tell you.

TK: I think when people in modern age think of Dick Grayson, they think of the BATMAN AND ROBIN run by [Grant] Morrison and [Frank] Quitely and Scott Snyder's work. That stuff is amazing and defining and it has to be addressed in current continuity.

CV: How would you promote GRAYSON #6 in 5 words or less?

TK: Midnighter Grayson Fight of their life. I cheated. "Of" doesn't count, that's a very short word!

TS: Brutal fight with feels!

CV: Thanks!

GRAYSON #6 is on sale today.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I'm glad this issue moved forward with the Die Faust Der Kain stuff. After reading it, I'm guessing Mr. Minos is Christian Fleischer since they keep mentioning that guy without ever going into details about him.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gracetrack

Sounds like it's going to be incredible. Can't wait to see how their fight plays out. Hope it makes for some nice Grayson feats too.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I didn't say Deathstroke! But...

It was Shrike, wasn't it, k4?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Poor handling of Midnighter

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gracetrack

@jonny_anonymous said:

How so? The issue isn't even out yet.

EDIT: (Before anyone else is tempted to jump on this - yes, I now see that it released today. My bad.)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gracetrack
    righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: Yes it is....

If they fought, it really shouldn't even be a contest. I mean, I love Grayson and all, but he wouldn't stand a chance against someone like the Midnighter.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: Yes I've read it. Apparently switching fighting styles is Midnighters Kryptonite

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gracetrack

@mrtummytumms: Yep. Just didn't realize it was releasing this week. Glossed right over that part in my haste to read the interview. ;)

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: Yes I've read it. Apparently switching fighting styles is Midnighters Kryptonite

Wow. That's Bendis levels of PIS there...

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Everyone involved has done a great job with Grayson and while Tim Seeley has a lot on his plate, I would love to see Tom King get more work. To describe the way their styles intertwine in Grayson is like seeing Grant Morrison and Alan Moore write a book together.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Wow, nice art and whatever-that-thing-is!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I still haven't read issue 6 so, I am really hopint it to be as good as they say. So far their book has been amazing and I really like the direction they have taken with Dick and Helena.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I disagree. Midnighter got a glimple of Dick's style through archives, not from the real thing. And when Dick lost the Hypnos he got beaten to a pulp.

Granted, I know almost nothing on Midnighter.

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
    BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Really need to pick this up. Loved Tim Seeley on Batman Eternal, and I hear this is just as good.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

I disagree. Midnighter got a glimple of Dick's style through archives, not from the real thing. And when Dick lost the Hypnos he got beaten to a pulp.

The thing is, Midnighter's powers don't work that way. He has cybernetic (nano in scale) fight enhancements that allow him to study and predict opponents... in real time. Plus, mastery of multiple forms of martial arts, including many that Grayson should know. He also has increased strength, dexterity, durability, and a healing factor. Against guys like Superman and Green Lantern, he's not going to have the best run, but regular humans (no matter how skilled) really can't even compete against him.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@squalleon said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

The thing is, Midnighter's powers don't work that way. He has cybernetic (nano in scale) fight enhancements that allow him to study and predict opponents... in real time. Plus, mastery of multiple forms of martial arts, including many that Grayson should know. He also has increased strength, dexterity, durability, and a healing factor. Against guys like Superman and Green Lantern, he's not going to have the best run, but regular humans (no matter how skilled) really can't even compete against him.

Yeah watching tapes of an opponent is something Midnighter would never ever have to do. He gets everything he needs to know within seconds of seeing someone.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@squalleon said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yeah watching tapes of an opponent is something Midnighter would never ever have to do. He gets everything he needs to know within seconds of seeing someone.

Exactly! That has never been a part of his schtick until now. It's like they turned him into Taskmaster, for some reason. The only time that I can think of that a normal level human threat gave him a harder time was in Dreamwar with the Joker, and that was a pretty out there situation and due to Joker's unpredictability.

EddieHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf: Midnighter couldn't predict his moves because of Grayson's implants.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@squalleon said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

But do his prediction enhancements still give him the full effect if his opponent is constantly shifting the fighting style?

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf: Midnighter couldn't predict his moves because of Grayson's implants.

I just went through his current capabilities on his wiki entry, and unless I'm missing something, there isn't anything there that should nullify Midnighter's prediction implants. Even without them, everything else he has (plus his natural training in h2h) would be too much for Dick. I love Dick. I think Dick is great, but it really is an insane case of "Worf had the flu." sogh

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@meatwadf said:

@squalleon said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

But do his prediction enhancements still give him the full effect if his opponent is constantly shifting the fighting style?

Yes. The only time they have had trouble was with Joker (weird situation). Even with shifting fighting styles (especially only the ones that Dick knows), they work just fine.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@omnicrono said:

Yes. The only time they have had trouble was with Joker (weird situation). Even with shifting fighting styles (especially only the ones that Dick knows), they work just fine.

So he has had instances prior this one where his opponent changed fighting styles like Grayson did?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: Midnighter's battle computer measures the electrical activity in the brain to predict his opponents movements it also runs the fight a million different times in a second so to predict every possible outcome so that Midnighter knows the best course of action at all times.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@omnicrono said:

So he has had instances prior this one where his opponent changed fighting styles like Grayson did?

In Joker's case, it's because it was all a dream by a reality warper (long story) and also due to Joker's insanity disrupting them, not his fighting styles changing up. So, if Dick Grayson suddenly turned into Deadpool, then I can see that happening.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Awesome

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Interviews are fun to read and very informative

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: No, Dreamwar was a weird illusion crossover between the Wildstorm Universe and a fake DC universe.

EddieHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By meatwadf

@omnicrono: Midnighter's battle computer measures the electrical activity in the brain to predict his opponents movements it also runs the fight a million different times in a second so to predict every possible outcome so that Midnighter knows the best course of action at all times.

This sums it up, nicely. lol

No Caption Provided

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eddiehunter: No he didn't. Midnighter had taken them out before he had even woke up.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jonny_anonymous said:

@meatwadf said:

Ιsn't enstablished that the Hypnos disturb his enhancements? Dick still had his hypnos up until the eye bleeding.

I don't know about Midnighter's physicals but I think it makes sense that the Hypnos affect his computer.

EddieHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EddieHunter
    No Caption Provided

This is from Grayson #5 when Dick's implants were shut down by an A.R.G.U.S E.M.P, Midnighter states that NOW he could see through Dick's moves.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@squalleon: No, the implants were already removed, DIck's eye just started bleeding when he tried to use them. Midnighter says he used the medical facilities to remove them. And even if Dick did have them he would have been dead the second they stopped working. Midnighter has Wolverine level healing and is strong enough to literally punch the head clean off someone.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@meatwadf said:

Ιsn't enstablished that the Hypnos disturb his enhancements? Dick still had his hypnos up until the eye bleeding.

I don't know about Midnighter's physicals but I think it makes sense that the Hypnos affect his computer.

The thing is, even with his fight computer disabled, he still has all of his physicals and natural h2h training to fall back on. More than enough to deal with Grayson. This just lends more credence to my theory that DC has really enjoyed sticking it to a lot of the Wildstorm characters, post New 52.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gracetrack

@meatwadf said:

@squalleon said:

@omnicrono said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@meatwadf said:

The thing is, even with his fight computer disabled, he still has all of his physicals and natural h2h training to fall back on. More than enough to deal with Grayson. This just lends more credence to my theory that DC has really enjoyed sticking it to a lot of the Wildstorm characters, post New 52.

You have to admit that Midnighter's powers were a pretty crazy to begin with though. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if he was nerfed a bit.

EddieHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EddieHunter

This issue was still awesome though, and it's not like Dick beat Midnighter in a H2H fight, and i didn't feel like Midnighter was trying to kill him at all.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: Oh, I fully admit that he was crazy to begin with, which was also part of his character. He was the end point of Batman/Wolverine publicity taken up to 11, and I absolutely loved him for it. Of course, he wasn't really able to stand up alone against the really high level threats that the power characters of his team had to (Apollo, Hawksmoor, etc..) He's the best there is at what he does, so long as what he does involves punches and kicks. lol Granted, I would have much less of a problem with the handling of this fight if he had truly been nerfed down a bit and there had been some basis for the outcome. Instead, he had one power maybe turned off, and the rest just ignored.

It's just frustrating as a Wildstorm fan to see what's become of characters like Midnighter, Fairchild, Warblade, and a few others.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: But that was pretty much the point of the character

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Just an explanation for the Dick/Midnighter fight, it will be tagged as spoilers.

Dick Grayson did NOT have his hypnos implant when he fought Midnighter this issue because when Dick came to the God Garden, it was taken out of him and put into Midnighter. Midnighter did this so that he would be immune to the Hynpos implant effects in the future as well as to spite Grayson.

Once the fight started, the combination of Dick's improvisational fighting style and his ability to read movements kept him in the fight for a few seconds, however it was not Midnighter's kryptonite. After a few seconds, Midnighter was able to pummel Dick and win the physical confrontation, all of this makes perfect sense in the context of what has been presented in the Grayson series. It is important to remember, we don't know how seriously Midnighter was taking Dick Grayson throughout this fight and whether he was going to kill Dick.

What ultimately won Dick the battle was that Midnighter took Grayson's Hypnos implants without realizing that there was a safeguard put in place by Spyral to neutralize its wearer by saying a key word. This was shown in Grayson #2 when Helena essentially deactivated Dick Grayson with one word. Dick remembered that and since Midnighter took Dick's implant, Dick used that same word to incapacitate Midnighter.

tl;dr: There was very little to no jobbing of Midnighter in the context of this story.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gracetrack

@jonny_anonymous said:

But that was pretty much the point of the character

Sure, I get that. But maybe that isn't exactly what's best (now) for the character. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing for his prediction powers to have one or two real weaknesses/flaws/drawbacks. Nothing as major as kryptonite, but something more than what he has now (doesn't seem like there are really any flaws or drawbacks to it currently).

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: He has plenty of weaknesses (telepaths, technopaths, nanomachines, characters just straight up stronger or more durable than him). He was just never intended to fight street level characters. This is like nerfing Iron Man just so someone like Daredevil could beat him.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gracetrack

@jonny_anonymous said:

He has plenty of weaknesses (telepaths, technopaths, nanomachines, characters just straight up stronger or more durable than him). He was just never intended to fight street level characters. This is like nerfing Iron Man just so someone like Daredevil could beat him.

Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer. I didn't mean weaknesses in general. Of course he shouldn't be stripped down simply for the sake of weaker characters, and that's not at all what I was suggesting. Don't twist my meaning.

I meant that perhaps there should be more weaknesses/drawbacks in regard to his prediction powers specifically (pretty sure I said that in the prior comment).

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: Yes and I just mentioned a bunch of weaknesses to his prediction powers. Telepaths, technopaths and nanomachines can all just shut his battle computer down. And if he's fighting someone stronger or more durable than him he'll just see a million different versions of him getting his ass kicked.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.