Grayson #16

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Grayson and Tiger are out on their own, rising up against Spyral. Their future may be in jeopardy as Helena has something else planned for them.

Writers Tim Seeley and Tom King deliver just a fun issue. It's Tiger and Grayson out on an adventure, and there are parts where it gets a bit over-the-top, but all-in-all, we're getting some solid set-up for future issues. Issue 16 plays out more like a buddy-cop film more than anything else, further strengthening the bond between Tiger and Grayson, as they go rogue from Spyral.

There's actually a series of four plash pages that get a bit "out there" as Dick Grayson sings a song while he and Tiger go globe-trotting, kicking butt across the world. It's a bizarre sequence of events, but it adds a whole new element of fun to the issue. Plus, Mikel Janin's art looks superb during the sequence.

Janin continues to impress on this series, with Jeromy Cox on colors. These two artists have given this book a defining look. Janin's page set-ups and perspectives keep the action moving as well as keeping the book fresh and unique. Cox's colorwork makes these characters pop, as well as delivering some great looking shading throughout the issue. If you like men in speedos on the beach, there's a perfect scene for you as well, especially if you're prone to loving explosions in the background.

The biggest disappointment is that there's no mention of what happened at the end of Robin War, where Dick Grayson got a new role. There's no mention of any of that here. Maybe it's because of the release schedule? Hopefully, this book doesn't just push that big revelation aside.

All-in-all, this is a good issue of GRAYSON, but it's a bit of a bummer to see no connection to the finale of Robin War, which changed everything about what Dick Grayson is up to. More than anything else, the final pages are the clincher, as it's setting up a new group of people, hired by Helena to hunt down Dick and Tiger, so I'm really enjoying where this story is going and the art we're getting here. GRAYSON continues to surprise me in the best ways possible.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ando123

Really loved this issue, a game changer.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Love it! Haha gave me laughs.. Wished they spin off Grifter next.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Haven't read Grayson in sometime. After Robin War I jumped back on. Just like Mat, I was surprised to see no mention of the fall out from Robin War. Still had a lot of fun reading this issue though. Gonna pick up the next couple this team are doing and then play catch up on this series.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rubear

Hmm... what's up with sudden love for "Password: Swordfish"?)

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

It would truly be a tragedy if Grayson doesn't last a few more years. This issue just nudged Dick towards being the head or chief face of DC's spy world. He could easily become the leader of his own brand if the creative team is allowed to continue and given more power and ongoings with spy characters. It's already kind off begun with Seeley on Suicide Squad,hope it happens.

yash_blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously if I didn't know any better I would have thought that grayson was on crack or something really awesome issue

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Robin War fallout will take place in #18 and on (see solicitations). All of the current Issues still play before Eternal and RW. (Ashemore has not converted to Mother yet). Considering Grayson was in the middle of an arc to take Spyral down that is a good decision and otherwise it would not have matched with Dick's normal relationship to Spyral that is depicted in RW.

Otherwise nice review.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It would truly be a tragedy if Grayson doesn't last a few more years. This issue just nudged Dick towards being the head or chief face of DC's spy world. He could easily become the leader of his own brand if the creative team is allowed to continue and given more power and ongoings with spy characters. It's already kind off begun with Seeley on Suicide Squad,hope it happens.

I agree.

And it really could be build up immensely considering Dick is connected to two major organizations (CoO and Spyral) and he is in alliance with a third (Checkmate).

Dick was always the figure the whole DCU knew in some way or another. Him being a leader under the shadows would also give him an in-character relevant title.

The building blocks are there.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely confused as to when all this takes place compared to Batman and Robin Eternal and Robin War. This has become more of an issue since DC decided on going story over continuity. It hasn't bothered me up to this point, because I'm really enjoying the DC lineup right now, but this left me scratching my head. In the most recent issue of Eternal Grayson takes Orphan to Spyral HQ. So Eternal is before Grayson 16. But if as someone else stated Gayson 18 will start to reflect the changes from Robin War then that will makes things line up, although that means Eternal took place before both events. I don't think we are supposed to think this much, lol. In any event, really enjoyed Robin War, can't wait to see the effects that has on this series and Dick overall. They really seem to be elevating Dick to a top level character and it's justified. Just so much to work with on this character. Awesome stuff IMHO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.