New Promos for Season Two of Gotham Reveal Thomas Wayne's Cave and Villains Rising

Posted by inferiorego (25733 posts) - - Show Bio

Season two of Gotham is coming back to Fox on September 21 after a very popular first season, and now, the promos for next season have finally hit the Internet. At the end of last season, Bruce Wayne and Alfred discovered a secret passage in Thomas Wayne's office, and it left the viewer wondering what was down there.

The first promo shows a clip for an episode where Alfred and Bruce discover a door at the end of a stairwell. What secrets was Thomas keeping?

This season's tag is that it's the "Rise of the Villains." Last season, we saw the early days of criminals like Penguin and Riddler. Could this be the season both villains really step out on their own? What will Gordon do about all of this? The next promo focuses on Gordon and a couple villains as well for the next season.

Season two of Gotham returns to Fox on September 21.

Staff
#1 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly could not get into this show and I legitimately tried. I turned on the first episode, sat down, made it 45 seconds in and said "I can't handle how bad this already is".

Rise of the villains? Most of the best villains didn't even exist UNTIL Batman did, so you're either contradicting the entire storyline or you're making up villains or using crappy lesser ones.

I am sure the city of Gotham has a great history and an interesting one but I just can't see nearly any of the major villains being who they are before Batman.

#2 Posted by Bat_SAINT (959 posts) - - Show Bio

Azreal wtf!!!!! Already

#3 Posted by JonSmith (4529 posts) - - Show Bio

Every time I see a promo for this show, a poster, a reveal, a trailer, whatever, I have the same internal argument with myself where I try to understand why it exists. Do they think there's some grand story that needed to be told in this setting? Did they really think it'd be interesting to see all these characters BEFORE they were the characters we care about? Did they just really want to show what Gotham was like before Batman, but had to throw in his villains and the Wayne's in order to draw people in?

That last one I keep coming back to: That one seems like it could actually have been interesting. Start the series establishing the Wayne's rebuilding the city, providing hope and revitalizing it, and then have them killed. Watch the city start to descend into chaos as poverty and crime run rampant, the hope of the city broken. The Falcone's, the Sionis', have all those gangs, the ones that generally sit in the background of the Batman stories, be the compelling threat as they start to really dig their claws into the city and tear it apart. Have little cases that tie into the larger Batman stories, like investigating the death of the Elliot's. Ritual murders perpetrated by the Church of Blackfire. A serial killer who carves tally marks into his victim's flesh. Small cases that make sense to be happening at this point. With the encroaching gang war being at the forefront, and Bruce Wayne being nowhere to be seen.

But even this premise doesn't seem to sit right. It doesn't really feel like the right answer to the question: Why does this show exist?

#4 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

Every time I see a promo for this show, a poster, a reveal, a trailer, whatever, I have the same internal argument with myself where I try to understand why it exists. Do they think there's some grand story that needed to be told in this setting? Did they really think it'd be interesting to see all these characters BEFORE they were the characters we care about? Did they just really want to show what Gotham was like before Batman, but had to throw in his villains and the Wayne's in order to draw people in?

That last one I keep coming back to: That one seems like it could actually have been interesting. Start the series establishing the Wayne's rebuilding the city, providing hope and revitalizing it, and then have them killed. Watch the city start to descend into chaos as poverty and crime run rampant, the hope of the city broken. The Falcone's, the Sionis', have all those gangs, the ones that generally sit in the background of the Batman stories, be the compelling threat as they start to really dig their claws into the city and tear it apart. Have little cases that tie into the larger Batman stories, like investigating the death of the Elliot's. Ritual murders perpetrated by the Church of Blackfire. A serial killer who carves tally marks into his victim's flesh. Small cases that make sense to be happening at this point. With the encroaching gang war being at the forefront, and Bruce Wayne being nowhere to be seen.

But even this premise doesn't seem to sit right. It doesn't really feel like the right answer to the question: Why does this show exist?

I agree, 100%, this show is just...meaningless.

I would have loved to see the History of Gotham, show flashbacks to Arkham Asylum being built and it's founder going mad, paint a picture of the darkness that was small but always present in Gotham and only got worse after Batman showed up but nope, we get "hey look, that young girl will be Poison Ivy, that guy, guess who he is, yep, that's Penguin, look look, more famous characters who ONE day will become real villains/criminals against a vigilante dressed as a bat...but not today!"

#5 Posted by worldFlash (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@docholiday: Every is meaningless, the fact that you don't want to watch it is meaningless as well, and really 45 seconds way to give the show a chance; note last part was sarcasm.

#6 Posted by RedHush1 (162 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel everyone is trying way too hard to fit this into Batman continuity. Everyone should just enjoy the TV show for what it is. Not try so hard to fit it into a bigger continuity or something

#7 Posted by Sachmoo (2500 posts) - - Show Bio

The show is honestly no where near as bad as people say. Had its bad moments and took a while too really find itself. But that's not unlike every show out there.

#8 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhush1: That would be fair if they weren't beating viewers over the head with "who is this character? who is this character going to be?" with Ivy, Catwoman, etc.

#9 Posted by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

Too bad we will never see batman fight these villains.

#10 Posted by Loki2u (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Gotham have the highest viewer ratings of any of the comic book shows out there?

#11 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@loki2u: Only by a small margin compared to Flash and Arrow

#12 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

Fox has just released a special promotional image of young Harley

No Caption Provided

Menacing isn't she?

#13 Posted by Loki2u (325 posts) - - Show Bio

So it's entirely possible that the Gotham creators are catering to more than just the community of Comicvine, who for some reason seem to largely disagree with the remaining masses out there in terms of the enjoyability of this show?

#14 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@loki2u said:
@docholiday said:

So it's entirely possible that the Gotham creators are catering to more than just the community of Comicvine, who for some reason seem to largely disagree with the remaining masses out there in terms of the enjoyability of this show?

Well enjoyability may be a more loosely used term, how many people simply watch a show rather than do anything else? You may however be right or it's possible the show is also coasting largely on an emphasis towards Batman but in a clever way, everything BUT Batman. I mean, the original trailer showed the words "Before Batman" and how many people, young and old, know Batman? Lots. So how many would love to see how Bruce Wayne became Batman? Unfortunately they're not given that.

Ultimately the show will go on whether or not the people here like it and that is ok, just because I (or others) don't like something doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Although I will say the show is on Fox and Fox does not have a good track record with maintaining shows that aren't The Simpsons.

#15 Posted by NightFang3 (12362 posts) - - Show Bio

Love this show!

#16 Edited by mangakid1995 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhush1: If the writing was better than people wouldn't care as much about the fact that this show has made a name for it self by bastardizing iconic members of the Batman universe. The mistreatment of iconic characters is just a symptom of its failure as a piece of television not the cause. It's an adaptation and because of that the show is allowed to do weird things that put of fans and some people wont care they will appreciate what its trying to do and give it the benefit of the doubt. For example, Arrow and The Flash deviate considerably from established comic book cannon and fewer people complain because those shows are for the most part very good. This show doesn't get that treatment from a number of vocal people because on top of the mindless changes that have been made to established Batman fiction the writing is bad and the story structure is flawed. People on this show don't do things because it makes sense for their character they do it because the writer told them too. Having said that the show is not with out its good points, but I will not be tuning in season 2 I'm done punishing my self by watching stuff I don't like.

#17 Edited by Loki2u (325 posts) - - Show Bio

@mangakid1995:

I don't think that Gotham is the only show that Bastardizes its characters, and that's a pretty harsh word in my opinion. Taking liberties would better describe it I think.

With that said.....what's the big deal with changing characters or straying from source material if the show is entertaining? The original source material is available to anyone if they are interested in reading what really happens. And even in reading the original source material.....for every good Batman story, there is an equally bad one.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to watch the show, I just don't understand a lot of the hate, because I really enjoy this show and what its trying to do. Everyone has their own tastes. I can't stand Agents of Shield for example, and have been vocal on that. But I don't hate it....its just not for me so I choose not to watch, because I have that power.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#18 Posted by amazing_webhead (9818 posts) - - Show Bio

i've always loved the theme of the monsters and psychos rising and taking over Gotham from the gangsters. here's my wish list:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.