inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Matches Malone is an iconic alias for Batman when he goes undercover to infiltrate the criminal underworld of Gotham, but at one time, he was an actual person. According to a report from Comic Book, Michael Bowen, best known for his character Uncle Jack on Breaking Bad was cast to play Matches Malone on Gotham, and he will debut in the second half of season two.

A character description was revealed as well, describing what we can expect from the character:

"One of Gotham's deadliest killers, Matches Malone is a weathered, philosophical hitman who may be the triggerman behind one of the most important crimes in Gotham's history."

Malone first appeared in BATMAN #242 back in 1972, and after the character's death, Batman began using the character's name and likeness as an alias when he needs to get some inside information from criminal underground.

Matches will appear in the second half of this season on Gotham, which airs on Monday nights on Fox.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm surprised they're really using Matches on this show.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

I usually don't mind too much if a TV show plays with continuity, but this one bugs me.

Matches is only interesting because he's an alternate identity to Bruce Wayne. That guy is so old, it would be incredibly hard for Bruce to disguise himself to look like him even ten years down the line. Without that connection, this is just another random thug.

Also, since when was Matches an assassin? He was always a mid-level wheeler and dealer when Bruce portrayed him.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

The Nazi from Breaking BAd!

~MiB

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

......so....I guess he's not going to be an alias for Batman??

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another reason to not watch this show.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Gotham is an elseworlds story, it's not a straight adaptation. The sooner people accept this, the sooner they can stop hating on the show.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotham is an elseworlds story, it's not a straight adaptation. The sooner people accept this, the sooner they can stop hating on the show.

exactly like if people actually took time to watch Gotham they could appreciate how good it , I mean they have Alfred who is portayed as someone his late 50s early 60s , who seems somewhat of a Scottish man ,

Paste_Pot_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lame.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inferiorego  Staff

......so....I guess he's not going to be an alias for Batman??

From the article above...

Malone first appeared in BATMAN #242 back in 1972, and after the character's death, Batman began using the character's name and likeness as an alias when he needs to get some inside information from criminal underground.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego:

Well, I know that, but this dude is in his 50/60's when Bruce Wayne is barely 13(?), so I don't see Matches being a future alias of Batman

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego:

Well, I know that, but this dude is in his 50/60's when Bruce Wayne is barely 13(?), so I don't see Matches being a future alias of Batman

It doesn't have to be. This is a different universe entirely. Heck, Batman may not even exist in the Gotham universe.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

@inferiorego:

It doesn't have to be. This is a different universe entirely. Heck, Batman may not even exist in the Gotham universe.

I know lol

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riddler & Jim Gordon are the best characters on the show.

Papa_Patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I only hate on the show because it is really, really bad.

And horrible, did I mention horrible?

Booster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe he will use the alias or something like it to remind him of what he wants to prevent. Rollo Tomasi, anyone?.........

hiddeninhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hiddeninhell

"One of Gotham's deadliest killers, Matches Malone is a weathered, philosophical hitman who may be the triggerman behind one of the most important crimes in Gotham's history."

@batwatch said:

Matches is only interesting because he's an alternate identity to Bruce Wayne..... Without that connection, this is just another random thug.

Also, since when was Matches an assassin? ...

This is just way to confusing (and it might just be my imagination running a bit wild after seeing the photo on top of the article), but It looks like they tried to blend a bunch of the more backstory-important characters for shaping Bruce into the Batman, who could\would have been around and relevant at the time into one omnipresent character.

If I'm reading the description properly they mashed up the name of Matches Malone, the sin of Joe Chill, and possibly some parts of David Cain*

*although whether it is just the common occupation and "still very dangerous looking elderly visage" or some of the skills/motivation/connections/other notable traits would be seen I'm uncertain.

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArkhamWrath

Idk why they don't show Lew Moxon just a bit :) Maybe just to mention him :)

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotham actually has greatly improved this season

BrownerHornet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BrownerHornet

I don't understand how they could possibly do Matches Malone and it make any sense. How is Bruce Wayne, aged 11 supposed to grow up and successfully regularly impersonate this man. Maybe if he had a namesake grandson it might make some sense. Why not make Matches a young man, actually near Bruce's age? A young hood, precocious for his age? It would even add a dimension if Bruce became so good at impersonating Matches because they knew each other well, and poignant when he dies. But making this man, in his fifties, Matches Malone isn't believable. But then, I've quit watching ever since Lt. Essen got killed. Barbara being a psycho-killer and also eventually Gordon's wife and baby mama made no sense to me. But people say it's gotten better this season. Still true? I may indulge my curiosity at last and am on the fence.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.