inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

The first season of Gotham, on Fox, is 5 episodes in of what seems to be a 16 episode season (IMDB has 21 listed for the first season), and while lots of folks, mainly comic book fans, were skeptical about the show, Gotham seems to have won-over a lot of people, and continues to do well, week after week. While there's a ton of things to love about what we've seen so far, there's still quite a few of big misses in the execution of the show. We thought it was time to take a look at some of the hits and misses that Gotham has to offer everyone, not just the comic book fans.

Hits

Photo Credit: Michael Lavine/FOX
    Photo Credit: Michael Lavine/FOX

Everything Penguin

Robin Lord Taylor's portrayal of the iconic Batman villain "Penguin" is easily one of the best things about this new show. Taylor has really made this role his own by giving this character and awkward but deadly feel to him. His mannerisms and the way he delivers his lines can be frightening at times. On top of everything else, his journey from low-level thug to eventual crime boss of Gotham is the most interesting story in the show because fans have no idea what is coming next. The show keeps us all on our toes and we look forward to everything Penguin.

Bruce Wayne's Story

Like many fans, I'm a bit down the middle on Bruce Wayne's involvement with the series. However, week by week, it's actually pretty good. Bruce Wayne is a big part part of the show, but not the main focus. We get to see him in the moments after his parent's death and how he deals with the tragedy on a day-to-day basis. And as much as most fans don't want to see that because it's been represented in film many times, it's actually pretty good. We're catching glimpses of him learning to become a detective in order to find his parent's killer.

Maroni vs Falcone vs Fish Mooney

What do you get when someone rising in the ranks in the Gotham crime scene wants to overtake the current crime boss? Some pretty awesome back and forth action. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I love the work of David Zayas, but the Maroni character is represented in a whole new light and done incredibly well. He's powerful and charismatic, but you do not want to cross him because he has no problem killing you. John Doman does great as Carmine Falcone, the man who has been on top for so long. He's starting to go a little soft and it's like blood in shark-infested waters. Lastly, there's Fish Mooney who has a bit of a plan to take down Falcone. In recent weeks, we've seen it come together, and her part, in the grand scheme of things, adds a new dimension to the larger story.

Everyone is a Bit Over-the Top

That's not a typo. This is supposed to be in the "hits" section. Most cop procedural dramas can be a bit dry, even the best ones. While Gotham has elements of a cop procedural drama in it, it's more about the city of Gotham and how it works. More importantly, the show is based off elements and concepts from a comic book, so some of the over-the-top performances from Jada Pinkett-Smith (Fish Mooney) and Donal Logue (Harvey Bullock) add a comic book element to it. These characters have huge personalities and can be a bit over-the-top, but it really works on the show and makes the show-to-comic connection really stand out.

Misses

Selina Kyle

Photo Credit: Jessica Miglio/FOX
    Photo Credit: Jessica Miglio/FOX

Selina Kyle witnessed the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne, so of course, she was a bit of the focus in the second episode, which was named after her. Aside from that, why does she keep popping up? In the episode "Viper," she pops in and out in about 10 seconds as only a reminder to the audience of her existence. Sure, the character was worthwhile in the couple of episodes where it mattered, but she doesn't do anything else for the series. She has nothing more to add, currently, to the Wayne murders, and she can't give us a good look at Gotham's underworld that Falcone, Maroni, and Mooney don't already give us.

Certain Characters Can't Stop Saying Their Names

"Call me Cat!" Because eventually, you'll become Catwoman, right? There are some things in this show that are unnecessary. Reminding the audience who these characters are, constantly, is one of these things. How many times do we have to hear the Captain tell us the forensics guy is Edward Nygma. Meanwhile, I have to go on IMDB to remind myself of Montoya's partner's name (It's Crispus Allen). When the focus is so heavy on certain characters's names being shouted from the mountaintop, it's just disappointing.

The Police Station's Design

Guess which one is a real police station. Also, you know how hard it is to find a picture of a police department interior?
    Guess which one is a real police station. Also, you know how hard it is to find a picture of a police department interior?

In the world of Gotham, architecture is important, especially when it comes to designing a maddening Gotham Central Police Station. For the most part, police departments are dull and straight to the point. They look a lot like any old office. While it's understandable they want to "spice things up" for the television show. Why are the jail cells in the main area, where people are working? No one is going to get any work done when the "perp" you arrested is screaming at you/spitting on you/something worse on you. Most of the set designs are great, except for this one. Did we also forget to mention that everything seems to be located in one room, including processing and the evidence locker?

The Main Storylines Can Fall Flat

Each episode revolves around something happening in Gotham that Gordon and Bullock have to solve. These stories are pretty good on their own merit (some are misses), but when placed into the episode, with these really captivating side-stories, they come off as "villain of the week," and they tend to be the least interesting parts of the episode. It throws the episode off a bit because it's throwaway compared to everything else. This could change is future episodes build towards something else, but as of now the "villain of the week" stuff is not working.

Bonus: The "Penguin is the Joker" Theory is Awful

The chances of any fan theory coming true is a shot in the dark. However, there's one theory on the net that may be aggravating to some fans. A post over at Reddit theorizes that Penguin is acting a lot more like Joker than Penguin because of all the killing he's doing. Here's the full theory:

Oswald Cobblepot is supposed to be dead. He knows that with such an unusual name it's bound to get back to Fish Mooney that someone named Oswald Cobblepot is still in Gotham. So he hires a short fat kid to go around telling people his name is Oswald Cobblepot. This kid idolizes the Joker so he does everything he can to be more like him. He dresses like him, he walks like him, he carries an umbrella just like him

Meanwhile original Cobblepot realizes he has to hide his identity if he's going to continue to operate as a gangster in Gotham and develops the Red Hood identity.

This short fat kid with the big long nose becomes the Penguin. The original Cobblepot has some kind of industrial accident and becomes the Joker.

It's reaching. Lots of people want the Joker in the show, and this theory undermines all the greatness of the Penguin in the television series by saying "it was Joker all a long!" It's just a fan-theory and let's hope the writing staff doesn't see that and think "that's a great idea." However, the chances of that happening are 1,000,000-1 though.

Luckily, Gotham has been a pretty great show thus far, and hopefully, it continues to do so. Make sure to check out the show every Monday night on Fox and we'll have a review of each episode right after it airs. What are your hits and misses of this series so far?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Seriously, get rid of selina

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 35

Bruce and Alfred are the WORST part of that show followed by the over the top horrible acting. I really want this show gone but sadly it will stay on the air because it's Batman.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Penguin is the Joker theory is the worst.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I've heard that fan theory, and it is terrible

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TDK_1997

The show so far is actually surprisingly good but Yeah, Selina needs to go. I really want to like her as she is one of my favorite all time characters but this portrayal of her sucks a lot.

Another thing that I am certainly not a fan is Thomas and Martha Wayne's deaths. The whole scene was so bad that I can't even find words to explain it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

The show is "meh" to me, and I think I'm the only one who doesn't like Fish Mooney, she is completely over top, and not in a good way. It seems like Pinkett Smith is just trying to do a weird Eartha Kitt impression.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Meh, not like this show is for us anyways, it's more aimed toward the non comic fans then us.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It was announced recently (I saw it on their Twitter account) that Fox picked up some more scripts to make it a full length first season.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get Gotham, so is Gordon suppose to be fighting Batman's villains and cleaning up Gotham City

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta disagree on the Bruce Wayne bit. I would rather see him less often. Aside from the over the top stuff he is doing, it almost seems as if a week or 2 has passed since his parents died, and he has already went through the whole grieving process. Parents die. Then Day 1 hes crying. By day 3 he is conquering his fear. Then day 5 he is heightening his pain tolerance. Day 7 he is an expert Detective who is deducing stuff that no one else can? That's all ridiculous.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rogueshadow  Moderator

I disagree about Bruce, it's too tangential and should be axed after the first season. The super powers and silly characters are failing too.

This show should have a darker tone in general, 'The Shield' meets 'The Sopranos' is how it should be. Falcone, Maroni, Sionis, Cobblepot and maybe somebody like Bertenelli as the big players, almost like the 'five families' of the Mafia. It just doesn't go dark enough, it's just the limits of the channel though really.

Final season Batman: Year One.

Gordon and Bullock are the best part of the show in my opinion.

All just one man's opinion.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Joker legitimately shows up I'll stop watching this all together.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get Gotham, so is Gordon suppose to be fighting Batman's villains and cleaning up Gotham City

If that's the interpretation they wanna take, then yes and it's fine, hence the word interpretation.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wilbertus

This series is starting to grow on me. I don't know if the episodes are getting better, or I'm just getting used to the show but the last two episodes actually had me interested for the full duration.

What I liked about Viper was the ambiguity - is this some kind of crazy Venom, or (because of the mad scientist who injects people with a bone deforming serum) are we looking at Doctor Death? Until they came out and said it was a prototype of Venom that was...

I agree with the majority of the list and I am confused as to why people do not like the Bruce Wayne bits. If it wasn't for the relation to Batman, this would be a mediocre detective show. Plus, how often do we see this stage of Bruce's life? Sure, every movie we see his parents being shot, but then it's flash forward to his training abroad at the earliest. I think the kid who plays Bruce does a consistently good job and I look forward to his scenes every week.

I guess the only thing I stronlgy dislike about 'Gotham' is that they make it quite obvious at certain points that this show is aimed at non-comic fans, hence the constant incredibly obvious references and such.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By HolySerpent

The Show should be canceled, it's terrible, to cartoony, terrible acting.

The show should be darker, and the batman villains shouldn't be appearing, and stick to crime mobs atleast for the first and second season. Also they shouldn't have kill of the Bruce parents so soon.

I don't support this trash

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Really agree with the "can't stop saying their name" point

It's just too true and too cannoying

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only seen the first 2 episodes so far (I live in the UK) and I am enjoying it. Not as much as Arrow but... yeah it's pretty good.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is like terrible fan fiction. I don't know how people keep rating it highly.

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've emotionally checked out of this tv show and I'm just going through the motions...timing myself to see how long i can last before i force quit my web browser.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a big Batman fan but after 5 episodes I do not like this show. I wasn't too interested in the show to begin with but the concept never seemed that interesting with the cast chosen.

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
    GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show is really meh. It's in the same boat as the beginning of AoS for me.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22  Edited By nappystr8

I think the main stars of Gordon and Bullock are decent, and could be good with better direction and scripts. I think everything Bruce Wayne is PERFECT. Other than those two not at all insignificant positives, I think this show is a trainwreck. Fish Mooney and Penguin especially.

Devbob98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the police station design

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Gordon has always fought Batman's villains, hes a cop. Its his job to protect the people. Usually whenever Gordon is about to catch a villain, Batman swoops in to finish it off. DC is like marvel, where every cop just runs away from every villain and lets the heroes handle the job.

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

The show is "meh" to me, and I think I'm the only one who doesn't like Fish Mooney, she is completely over top, and not in a good way. It seems like Pinkett Smith is just trying to do a weird Eartha Kitt impression.

I could not agree with you more. She is so over the top it's ridiculous.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I agree with this.Still love the show so far.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

To me, the visual aesthetic is the strongest part of the show. The weakest part is the CONSTANT reminder of who these characters will become. Edward Nigma needs to go, Selina Kyle is pretty lame, and the other references are kinda annoying at times too. Plus, casting all these characters to be 20 years older than Bruce Wayne is pretty dumb.

Overall, I enjoy the show, but I find the very premise to be an issue. If they would keep the focus on a police drama set in Gotham while keeping any of Batman's rogues out of the picture (with the exception of guys like Penguin and Falcone) then this show could be great. With the current structure, it'll only ever be okay imo. As a big Batman fan, I'll keep watching because it isn't bad, but it isn't what I want out of a Gotham show.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

The show is not bad so far. Liking it.

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
    SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest miss for me is the fact that they decided to set the show in the present. I think it should have been set around the time Affleck was Bruce Wayne's age, so that the show matches the cinematic world.
    Either that or the 40's or 50's, but definitely not the present.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Selina is fantastic in this show, Penguin is the one who's garbage. Maybe it would be nice if they gave her more to do instead of just pointlessly showing up constantly, but at least she's true to character.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think it's a good show overall but my main problem is that I'm really not understanding what time period this show takes place in

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm have mixed feelings about the show. I like it to an extent but to me it's like another cop show with Batman characters. I watch 5 current live action superhero shows that are based on comics and they are: Arrow, The Flash, Constantine, Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. & Gotham. I love Arrow and the Flash. They're my favorite shows and if I had to choose my absolute favorite, it would definitely be Arrow. Granted it's own it's 3rd season but it's still my favorite show right now. Constantine I'm kinda down in the middle. Have to watch a few more episodes. As for S.H.E.I.L.D., I gave it a chance since it has to do with the Marvel Cinematic universe. There are times I wanted to stop watching the show but I watched the next episode to see what happens to see if it keeps me in & it has. For me Gotham & Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. are on thin ice. I could stop watching them at any given time.

This is how excited I am to watch Gotham and AoS. I record like 10 live action shows during this time of the year. If I were to wait til Saturday to watch all my shows I would watch Arrow first then the Flash (Unless it's a crossover episode then I'll watch Flash first), Person of Interest, and then some other shows. Gotham and Agents of SHEILD would be the last thing I watch. Although I could just watch those shows first then the shows I really like. Hmm

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By batmite1995

Gotham has got a better start than arrow n agents of shield although now both theses shows rock in season 3 n 2 respectively. I always imagine Gotham to be a prequel to batman 66 :) everything instantly makes sense

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crap...

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GBrutality

Dear god I have not heard that theory. The last thing this show honestly needs is the joker.

What sucks is that they're not willing to take the risk on the show surviving without constant reminders of the future. Why would nygma be in forensics which would also mean he's at least fifteen years older than batman? Why would selina kyle be of any use after finding out she barely witnessed anything? Also, the finale of the show would have to grant the entire city amnesia to forget that Bruce Wayne really grew up acting like someone who'd become batman.

Why force poison ivy? Also, forcing the name penguin is grating. Being called penguin would make anyone upset.

Some stuff you said is really what shows that this could be a pretty decent show. Gotham is a deplorable place, not just because of the corruption or the huge criminal element, but because of the hopelessness and the almost sickness that bubbles to the surface which is why so many end up donning such dramatic outfits. Make references, like viper being an early trial of venom. But thats all. No batman enemies who aren't elderly when he rises. Use the mob, the court of owls, early versions of the red hood gang, hell even the dealer from a couple of years ago would be a good creepy fit. But they need to ease up on the use of all the batman stuff. Gotham itself can be an interesting character. Especially it's early years.

Also, and it is a bit nit picky, but turning Jim's first wife into the ex girlfriend of Montoya for dramas sake is pretty ridiculous.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bc of that fan theory i can picture robin lord taylor as joker , currently he makes penguin cool which is a sentence i cant believe i typed ,

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By Zeeguy91

@soa said:

bc of that fan theory i can picture robin lord taylor as joker , currently he makes penguin cool which is a sentence i cant believe i typed ,

Nah. I would definitely not want that. One of the things that makes Joker compelling as a character is that he has no "true" identity. He's nameless. If you make Oswald Cobblepot into the Joker, you give him a name and, therefore, take away that aspect.

chrisburgess99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ivy character has been useless. She was introduced to move the storyline of the Wayne's murder forward. She has not been seen since the first two episodes and it remains unclear when Ivy will be re-introduced.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SoA

@zeeguy91: i dont want that as a reality i just mean that image is in my head lol

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

PLAINLY PUT: THE ACTING IS GODDAMN TERRIBLE.

.the end.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Also, and it is a bit nit picky, but turning Jim's first wife into the ex girlfriend of Montoya for dramas sake is pretty ridiculous.

this^. x100.

smh.

Kuyamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the second episode, Selina Kyle, the female "villain" was fairly creepy. I do agree with you on most points, but I do like the police station.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the show, but I don't love it. There are things I like and dislike. I really like Cobblepot and seeing him grow more and more into The Penguin. I'm also enjoying Bullock and SOME of Fish Mahoney's story (the part about training a girl to be a weapon). I really don't care for how well adjusted Bruce is after his parents died or for Selina Kyle. She seems absolutely unnecessary and I would have preferred her to show up once in a while or very sporadically. Also, maybe stop hitting us over the head with villain cameos or references. Take some time to build this world. You don't need to have every villain and the groundwork for them laid out already. I worry they'll burn through things quickly.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just find Gotham to be a bit boring. The fact that it's set roughly 10 years before Batman takes away all the suspense, since we all know how it ends. Gordon fights a battle against the criminals in Gotham, a battle we know he'll lose. Nygma will become the Riddler etc.
    When compared to a show like Arrow, which still has a lot of suspense, Gotham just bores me. We all know what happens next.

ariesleguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show sucked because of that Fish Mooney thing. That charater shouldn't even be in the show. Jada Pinkett Smith is trying hard to act like a sassy classy evil crime boss and she really fails at that.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the UK so only seen the first two but I'm loving it, although there seem to be a lot of plot threads hanging; does the Dollmaker show up again, or has he just been forgotten, not that we actually ever saw him...

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

DurrDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually like this Selina "Ayy lmao" Kyle.

Also, reminder Will Smith is married to Fish Mooney

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.