Gotham Episode #207 - "Mommy's Little Monster"

Posted by inferiorego (25734 posts) - - Show Bio

On this week's episode of Gotham, Penguin heads down to the port and finds his mother. However, Theo comes in and says the only way in is with the key. Penguin tells Butch to shoot Theo and his sister. Butch instead shoots Penguin's two men. Penguin begs for Theo to let his mother go. Theo's sister lets her out and Penguin is reunited. Then Tabitha stabs Gertrude in the back. Theo is about to kill Penguin, but Penguin slices his face and escapes.

Meanwhile, Edward deals with his love, Kristen Kringle being dead... after he killed her. Nygma's bad side comes out and tells Edward that he hid the body, but left a riddle to find her corpse. At the station, Captain Barnes comes in and said Penguin tried to kill the next mayor. Theo is in the Captain's office and Theo has a cut across his neck. Gordon tells Theo he's cautious about all of this. He doesn't want policing through fear.

At the Wayne household, Selina and Bruce are talking when Silver St Cloud walks in and tries to intimidate Selina into never coming back. Edward goes on the hunt at the GCPD to find Kringle's body. He figures out the riddle and finds Kris' hand inside a vending machine. At dinner at the Wayne Manor, things get catty (no pun intended) between Silver and Selina. Nygma continues to try and figure out the riddle.

Bullock and Gordon talk in the car. Gordon finds it interesting that everything with Theo is happening way too quickly. He says it all seems planned. Gordon and Bullock head into a restaurant and find Butch and his friends. Mr Zsasz shows up outside and says he's going to kill everyone that doesn't leave in the next minute. After a minute, Zsasz and company begin firing on the building. Gordon and Bullock find a couple of huge automatic weapons and fire them out the window.

Nygma continues his search and finds Kringle's body in the morgue. Thompkins comes in and sees if he needs help. He tells Dr Thompkins that he and Kringle has a fight. He wants to grab a coffee with Leslie and talk it out. At the election party for Theo, what looks like to be Penguin walks towards the manor and gets shot by Tabitha.

Shocker! It wasn't Penguin. It was a look alike. An army of Penguin look-alikes head to the manor and bust in. Officer Martinez finds Tabitha on the roof and easily takes him down, by putting her heel through his neck. Gordon takes Theo out the back and to a car. Penguin finds them and Gordon and Penguin have a stand-off. Penguin says Theo's endgame deals with someone Gordon knows and cares about. Penguin gets shot and goes down and Theo heads off in the car.

Theo Galavan gives a speech about the election party massacre and Silver and Bruce look on. Silver is playing Bruce hard. Theo talks to Gordon but Gordon isn't having it. He says he's coming after Theo.

No Caption Provided

It's the first dip in the second season of Gotham. This wasn't a bad episode, but it certainly pales in comparison to everything else that this second season has offered fans. In reality, this whole episode feels like the same old story with different players and the game is relatively the same. Everyone is playing against each other to gain a bit more leverage in the on-going power struggle in Gotham. Once again, it's another person underestimating Penguin, which seems to be a recurring theme on this show.

To be fair, some of the best moments from the episode come from the election party massacre. Frankly, the army of people dressing and acting like Penguin was wonderfully over-the-top. It's just another moment where we get to see the power of Penguin. The only weird part about this moment was the massacre seemed to have a lot more casualties on Penguin's end over Theo's. However, this whole scene led to one of the most brutal/coolest kills of the series as Tabitha put her heel through officer Martinez's neck.

There's a lot of up and down here, but what really works in the episode is Nygma's arc. We're getting to see little bits and pieces of what he'll eventually become: The Riddler. Edward searching for Kristen Kringle's body was interesting but what really made the whole story pop was the back and forth dialogue between the good and bad side of Nygma at the end of the episode. The biggest laugh of the night was Edward finding Kristen Kringle's hand in the vending machine. I don't know why, but I burst out in laughter.

When Gordon and Bullock grab those giant guns and just start firing outside, it seems a little insane. They don't know what they're aiming at and there could be people outside, walking around (or watching Zsasz shoot up a building).

There's also this back and forth between Selina and Silver which plays out in this episode. Selina is fine and the character has come a long way since the first season, although sometimes she feels like she's forced into a scene just to move the plot forward. This episode is a prime example of that. She's simply thrown in to get Silver closer to Bruce. She has no real reason to actually be here.

Overall, this wasn't a great episode. It wasn't bad. It just feels like more of the same that we saw last season. The game is the same but the players have changed. Don't get me wrong, there's some great moments in this episode, but those are just moments. The overall episode didn't hit the bar that was raised by the previous episodes. Hopefully, we get something with a bit more oomph in the next few weeks.

Moments of the Week:

• Tabitha heel stabbing Martinez to death!
  • Penguin cosplay party!
  • Gordon and Bullock firing a couple of HUGE automatic weapons.
  • Edward finding Kringle's hand in the vending machine.
Staff
#1 Posted by the_stegman (40195 posts) - - Show Bio

What's this? A mediocre review? Time to sit down and wait for haters to use this as an excuse to hate.

#2 Posted by Gotham331 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how this got three stars. I enjoyed this episode and I'm enjoying this season. When the villains are the focus, this show gets better and better.

#3 Posted by Farkam (12025 posts) - - Show Bio

What's this? A mediocre review? Time to sit down and wait for haters to use this as an excuse to hate.

zomggg i hate dis show so much. i hope it gets cancelled. D:<

#4 Posted by the_stegman (40195 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:
@the_stegman said:

C+, you can do better.

#5 Posted by NightFang3 (12362 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotham331: I'd give this episode 4 stars and I have to agree the villains should be the focus of the show.

#6 Posted by josai21 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure how Selina is viewed as just "moving the plot" device in this episode. This was real character growth for Bruce and Selina. Irritating growth? Certainly. I have more frustrations with Bruce's continued naivette than the way Selina was used. Here's to hoping this begins developing Bruce's paranoia.

#7 Posted by Gotham331 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightfang: the show really seems to have more of a focus this season did it did last season and it's been to its benefit. I'm actually surprised by the amount of violence on the show.

#8 Posted by Sachmoo (2500 posts) - - Show Bio

The Riddle was Riddlering The Riddler, and Gordon Laid down the gauntlet on Galvan. Yet you gave it 3 stars... Really?

#9 Posted by strangetales (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn this episode was great. The heel, the penguins, gordon finding out about galavan, riddler riddling himself and my worry for bruce. Damn.

Every episode this season has been awesome

#10 Posted by LiamDaniels (130 posts) - - Show Bio

What is it with them making people who are supposed to be Bruce's friends (at least for the present time) into enemies? First they make Tommy Elliot a bully, and now Silver St. Cloud is a pawn to is attempted demise. I mean, if you had to choose an in comics love interest instead of making one up, why not go for Julie Madison. Or Jezebel Jet, she's even known for betraying Bruce's trust.

#11 Posted by RBT (27800 posts) - - Show Bio

It was easily a 5 star episode. Gotham has been phenomenal this season.

#12 Posted by nightwingdg143 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that they're including Harvey Dent some more.

#13 Posted by mak13131313 (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty good episode.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
#14 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (3818 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from Bullock and Gordon blindly firing into the street..(which was understandable, but out of character for Gordon, IMHO.) This episode worked for me. I'd have given 4 stars. Pretty much what I've given every episode so far this season. (Except the one where Jerome died, that one gets 5.)

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#15 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:
@farkam said:
@the_stegman said:

C+, you can do better.

Gothams is the cesspool of comic book based shows.

Even the awesome performance of Robin Taylor and a cast that rivals with some of the best tv shows, this cant save the generic pointless outdated BatDrama that doesnt belong in the 21 Century vision of Batman.

This show is nothing but perfumated trash.

Dont waste your time watching it, read a comic book, watch The Dark Knight, play the video games or watch TAS.

Just please, stop watching this expensive pseudo artistic steaming pile of guano.

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
#16 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (2324 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do they not use Zsasz more??Its like Penguin is born stupid.

Who in their right mind would keep someone as a bodyguard when that person was once a enemy??

Not only that but who doesn't even take his best hitman with him to get his mother.Its beyond foolish.

#17 Posted by Stellar421 (875 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVED this episode. There was a lot of suspense and humor (starting with Selina's "slap" jab). Penguin proves once again he's not to be underestimated.

I do have to disagree with the review on one point: Nygma. I think he's channeling too much Two-Face. And the guy who actually is playing Dent is such a terrible actor with a way too over the top performance. And I don't think it's the director, the dude was the same in Final Destination.

Other than those two points, loved, loved the episode.

#18 Edited by BatWatch (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was another strong episode for the show. The only one of your complaints about it that I found legitimate was the criticism of the scene where Gordon and Bullock started firing a million rounds through the front of the building. Good chance of some civilian casualties from that manuever. However, if you are going to nitpick the realism of the action scenes on this show, then you are never going to enjoy it because it's almost always got something silly happening. For Pete's sake, hasn't Jim Gordon shot down like a hundred that at this point in the show? It's not going for that realistic Daredevil feel.

I enjoyed the first season of Gotham, but I've felt the quality is much better in the second season.

#19 Posted by BatWatch (5487 posts) - - Show Bio
@sachmoo said:

The Riddle was Riddlering The Riddler, and Gordon Laid down the gauntlet on Galvan. Yet you gave it 3 stars... Really?

Cute.

Why do they not use Zsasz more??Its like Penguin is born stupid.

Who in their right mind would keep someone as a bodyguard when that person was once a enemy??

Not only that but who doesn't even take his best hitman with him to get his mother.Its beyond foolish.

I can't say I care for Zsasz. I give them a long leash for the character since this is an adaption, so I just assume there will be a lot of continuty differences with the comics, but Zsasz from the comics is nearly completely unrecognizable here. In the comics, he was a preppy guy who wanted to commit suicide and ended up killing someone else instead, so he starts killing others, usually with knives, to free them from the burdens of life and keeps a tally of them via scars made with his knives as a momento. Here, he's an assassin who shoots people when hired. That's it. It's rather generic. The only thing I find interesting about the character is the way everyone fears him as an insane and lethal threat, but that's not that interesting.

I LOVED this episode. There was a lot of suspense and humor (starting with Selina's "slap" jab). Penguin proves once again he's not to be underestimated.

I do have to disagree with the review on one point: Nygma. I think he's channeling too much Two-Face. And the guy who actually is playing Dent is such a terrible actor with a way too over the top performance. And I don't think it's the director, the dude was the same in Final Destination.

Other than those two points, loved, loved the episode.

I don't blame the actor for the Nygma's performance. The actor did a good job with the performance. The problem was fully with the writers who obviously wanted to go with the dueling personalities idea for Nygma. I thought the scenes with his two personalities squaring off worked pretty well, but it is very much in Two-Face territorry, so that bugged me. It seems the two personalities melded at the end of the episode; I'm hoping they will now drop the dual identities aspect of the character and make him a more traditional Riddler.

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
#20 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (2324 posts) - - Show Bio

@batwatch: I Believe Zsasz is at the beginning of his career,and he haven't been turned into the true Zsasz we love and want.Maybe he has a falling out with the bird and loses it?!?

In any case,killing people with knives might be more gruesome. Knives are more messy than guns.

#21 Posted by Stellar421 (875 posts) - - Show Bio

Zsasz was super funny in this ep.

#22 Posted by godzilla44 (7379 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was one of the best episodes this season

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.