inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Note: There will be spoilers within the review and recap.

Recap

On this week's episode of Gotham, a man returns to his house to find someone waiting for him, except it's more than one man. Fish Mooney wakes up somewhere where people are beating each other up. A couple of men with bad intentions want to take her on but she flat out says she'll kill them both and they walk away.

James and Leslie have their third date. She lets James know that she's coming to work at the GCPD with him. James heads to the house where the man was jumped. He's dead now and Bullock explains his adrenal glands are gone. Crane is mixing is up and using it in a little concoction. He injects himself with it and sees his greatest fears. It's a lady on fire.

Over at Wayne Manor, Bruce is going off on his own and doesn't want Alfred's help. Bruce says he'll be back before dark.

Penguin is back at his club and updates Falcone with what happened with Maroni, who is more worried about the club. He wants it cleaned up and changed, so it doesn't look like Fish had it. Falcone says Penguin can have the club and that he's earned it.

At the station, Bullock is going through the victim's yearbook. Thompkins comes in and introduces herself to Bullock and Essen catches her up. Bullock finds Gerald Crane's picture in the year book. They head to the school.

Fish tries to figure out where they are and what it is. She learns about the hierarchy of the place, Mace eats first. At the school, Bullock and Gordon talk to the person in charge. She tells them his wife died and he was quiet. She has a paper Crane wrote. She says Gerald was trying to cure himself fear. Back at the station, Nygma explains everything and helps them with the case. They find Crane is trying it out on two people, one is patient B.

Crane slowly learns to conquer his fear. His son comes up to him to see if he's ok. Gerald says it's working and it's almost Jonathon's turn. Gerald says Jonathon will be cured from fear.

Falcone and Maroni take a walk. Maroni wants him dead. Fish moves in to talk to Mace at the underground jail. Mace is in charge because he has the only blade in the place. Fish wants to make a deal.

Penguin goes to the GCPD to deliver an invitation to Gordon. He's not there but he and Nygma have a bit of a talk. Penguin is extremely mean to him. Gordon comes back and Penguin gives him the invitation.

Crane injects his son with his concoction. Jonathon freaks out and screams. Back in the woods, Bruce walks around and puts a stone with his initials and his father's initials on a pile. Bruce gets angry and throws all the rocks. Bruce slips and falls down a hill. Bruce banged up his ankle. He's scared and alone.

Falcone offers Maroni a judge he has kidnapped that screwed Maroni in the past. The two seem to be bonding a bit.

Bullock finds that Gerald's wife died in a house fire, not during a car crash. Gerald was in the house but his fear stopped him from saving her. Back at the house, Gerald conquered his fear. Jonathon runs away and Gerald says he needs to finish it.

It's nightfall and Bruce tries to crawl. He can't. He takes a few sticks and makes a splint to help him move around. Fish cozies up to Mace, then kills him. Fish is in charge now.

James and Harvey make their way to the Crane household. Jonathon wants to run, but Gerald says they need to complete the protocol. Gerald injects Jonathon with a ton of the mixture and Jonathon freaks out while looking at a scarecrow. Bullock and Gordon tell him to put his gun down, but Gerald is now fearless. He fires back and ends up getting gunned down.

Bruce crawls his way home. He gets back to the top of the hill, where he kicked the rocks down. Alfred is sitting there, next to a fire. Bruce and Alfred decide to stay and watch the sun rise.

At Penguin's club, Maroni shows up. Maroni says he talked to Falcone and all is forgiven. Maroni says the second Falcone is out of the picture, so is Penguin.

At the hospital, a doctor explains to Gordon that Jonathon has brain damage and is in a constant state of terror. It may be permanent. In the bed, Jonathon sees the scarecrow, creeping closer to him.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

The opening with Crane is really cool, after he injects himself. The shaky camera effect really sets to mood of fear and terror and the woman on fire, walking down the stairs looks extremely cool as well. Fear vision was something that continued through the episode and it was really cool, except when the CGI scarecrow came in. That didn't look to great.

For as much as I like Robin Lord Taylor as the Penguin, his walk was incredibly exaggerated in this episode. It felt like this week, we almost saw the cartoon version of him at times, but his story wasn't the strongest here and was overshadowed by everything else.

More silly music during the scene where Bullock walks up to Leslie and James. It takes all the seriousness out of the scene and it's not a silly scene at all. The ominous moments score sound pretty good though.

We get it, Gotham. Jonathon Crane is Scarecrow. You don't need to frame up an actual scarecrow behind him in every shot where the kid is outside. You're not subtle. I guess I do have a fanboy complaint about the whole Crane being scared of Scarecrows. It takes away meaning from the character when you present his origin this way. Batman became Batman to put fear into his enemies and bats are what he feared as a child. Here, they're giving Crane pretty much the same origin as Batman, in one sense, and it feels forced and lessens the idea the meaning of who this boy will become. Understandably, it's a different universe and characters can have different origins, but it just draws way too many with Batman. Scarecrow needs to stand more on his own as far as his origin goes. End rant.

In what's becoming a frequent trend on Gotham, half of the show is very rough and the other half is actually a solid episode. The stand-out part of this episode was Bruce's story here. His bonding and moving forward in life was the highlight of the episode. We get to see an evolution in the character here as he deals with the death of his father and starts to accept Alfred as his caretaker. The scene with Alfred and Bruce watching the sunset was fantastic and we get to see a great deal of growth of these characters, from where they were in the first episode of the series.

Adding Thompkins to the GCPD does add a lot to the show. It's someone else for Bullock and Gordon to talk to and I like the idea of seeing Gordon try to juggle his professional and romantic life at the same time.

Once again, I'm really enjoying David Zayas as Maroni, even though his story within this episode was a tad bland. What overshadowed that this week was Fish in the makeshift jail she was at and taking over the place. She's over the top, the whole story isn't incredibly believable, but for some reason, it really won me over and it's something I'm looking forward to in future episodes.

All-in-all, this was a down the middle of the road episode, once again. The story of Gerald and Jonathon was very cool and felt like a story where the motivation makes sense. However, the whole Jonathon/Scarecrow connection was weak and the show plays the audience for the fool. It's a bit insulting. The real shining moments of this episode was Bruce Wayne's story. Both Alfred and Bruce have come a long way and this was a great moment for them. However, the episode, as a whole, didn't flow very well and it's just a bit bland.

However, next week, the teaser gave us the impression that the Joker as a kid would be appearing. If that happens, I'm going to lose my mind. Please stop the villains as kids stuff.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

C- episode.

Now the previews for next week is what we should be talking about.

Who's ready to watch this show butcher one of the greatest comic book characters in history?

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Yep. Gave up two episodes ago.

~MiB

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thought this was a solid episode. With the exception of the conclusion of Dr.Crane, I thought this episode worked well as a jumping on point for new viewers.

I loved the Penguin and Riddler interaction. It was perfect.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Im about 6 episodes behind; but if what I hear is true and kid Joker appears next week, then you can bet I'll probably never watch this show again. It's just turning into poor fan service at this point and it's only in its first season.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bruce and Alfred watched the sunrise, not the sunset. Get your facts straight Mat;b

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew this episode was getting 3 stars

BarelyAverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel everyone is being a bit harsh. The show is entertaining. I don't believe it's meant to be a pure origins comic book story. It's more of a crime drama based on the city of Gotham and it's characters. They only have a 1 hour time slot. I look at it that way and love the show. I Mean we should be thankful we are getting a prime time comic book show. I'm a happy viewer.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I had a really hard time focusing during this episode. It just didn't hold my attention. Some of the stuff with Jonathan Crane was cool but other aspects of this episode kind of highlighted what is failing about Gotham. I wouldn't say it's a bad show but it's also not very good either. At this point the only reason I keep watching is because I've already watched all of them to this point and I might as well finish out the season. I am flipping back and forth between a 2 or 3 for this episode. If it's a 3 then it is a weak 3 for me. I keep hoping that the next episode will be a massive upswing in quality but it hasn't happened.

Then the preview has me rolling my eyes. Just no.

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
    Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In other news, Marvel and Sony are bringing Spider-man to the MCU.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I feel everyone is being a bit harsh. The show is entertaining. I don't believe it's meant to be a pure origins comic book story. It's more of a crime drama based on the city of Gotham and it's characters. They only have a 1 hour time slot. I look at it that way and love the show. I Mean we should be thankful we are getting a prime time comic book show. I'm a happy viewer.

I agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just let this show die.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I missed it, again!

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Spot on. I could rant, but let's just say this post was "much above average" :) Folks, remember the target audience for this show. Hint..it's not people that frequent ComicVine.

ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was OK. Bruce bonding with Alfred was cool, but we seen that already? Fish taking control of the prison where she's at wasn't believable IMO. I wish that there was more action and less implied threats.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barelyaverage said:

Spot on. I could rant, but let's just say this post was "much above average" :) Folks, remember the target audience for this show. Hint..it's not people that frequent ComicVine.

Totally with it here. The show get scrutinized if they do anything outside of the normal "Law and Order" style. I don't know why everyone is so angry at child villains when the show is about the origin of Gotham City....we're seeing everyone develop.

And lets face it, there are people who watched the Nolan Trilogy that still don't know who Scarecrow is....let them lay it on thick for the kids return.

Harryvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping people hated the Bruce parts as much as I did. I wanted the review to say "Bruce plays with rocks then throws a hissy fit and falls down a hill". I perked up when I saw him in the pack back BC I figured they're finally sending him overseas. Nope. More wasted TV time on something that insults our intelligence.

Everything about Crane was outstanding. I really felt the "making of an icon moment" when the doctor was explaining the effects Jonathan was experiencing. This show needs more episodes like this so we can geek out! For example, the first meeting of the riddler and the penguin! Jamon!

Fish Mooney teleported to Capua? Is this the Spartacus barracks? Her part was cool but you know its a comic when she's the only broad in a mans prison and has no threat of rape. They should do her character and us a solid by giving her a heroic death. Her arc is complete... ttfn fish.

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fish is the new Selina. Shows up in every episode with no need to be there.

I wanted her to die on that torture table so we could move on but she escaped and ended up still having to leave town 'for a while' and now we're still gonna see her every episode.

comicbook_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Almost) Completely disagree. I give the episode 5 out of 5 stars. For newer fans who don't know the characters as well as comic fans do, the childhood origins are very important. Scarecrow was handled well. He was treated a bit like Batman, with his fear becoming a symbol, but it fits and makes sense (especially for newer fans). Fish's story is a bit out there, but the character is very commanding and sharp (pun intended), so it isn't complete absurdity. Bruce and Alfred have a beautiful moment together, and I look forward to more. As for the mob activities happening, they're becoming my favorite part of the show. Penguin's rise to power is as fun to watch as it is intense for those he knocks out of the way.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Penguin, Riddler. Riddler, Penguin. Someday you'll be sharing a cell at Arkham.

Highlight of the episode, really. Well, that and when Johnny meets his destiny.

No Caption Provided
    SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I thought this was a pretty solid episode. I'd give it 4/5. Bruce scenes were great. Doctor Crane was pretty creepy. Fish's story was interesting (if a little cliche) for the first time in a while.

I don't mind the child villains thing, because that is the show's angle. I don't expect them to be faithful to comics, and so I don't mind that origins change a bit (i.e. Jonathan's fear of Scarecrows). And I, for one, am excited to see a potential Joker next week.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.