Gotham: Episode 109 - "Harvey Dent"

• 61 results
#51 Posted by TheComedian_ (1730 posts) - - Show Bio

It's about time this show gets the actual rating it deserves.

#52 Edited by Harryvine (80 posts) - - Show Bio
@micah said:

I'm starting not to like this show as much as I used to. The Penguin, Falcone, Fish Mooney and the Dynamic between Gordon and Bullock are really the only reason's I've been keeping up with it on a week to week basis.

And I hate everything about a ham sandwich except the ham, the bread and the mustard. Thanks for the laugh Mr. Gotham Superfan.

Here's my gripe with the show and this quote from your review is proof: Understandably, the writers are trying to show that Bruce is becoming a kid again, but it falls flat.

The murder shatters his psyche and ends his childhood on the spot. He can't adjust or adapt. That's why he becomes Batman...so nobody ever has to go through what he went through. According to this show, there's another equally horrifying accident on the horizon that will replace his parents murder as the catalyst to make him Batman. Uh...what? His conversations with Cat are proof as well that the Bat-bulb (sorry couldn't help it) hasn't gone off yet.

Harvey was excellent. Personally I felt this was the best episode of the season because people actually did stuff in character instead of taking turns grimacing like characters. 4 Stars

PS - Every time Not-Alfred finishes talking I add, "Foster's Australian for beer". Where the hell is this guy from?

#53 Posted by Wilbertus (535 posts) - - Show Bio

So first the complaint about the show is that Selina doesn't get proper attention and that it falls into a 'villain of the week' type show which focusses on a one-episode plot each week and now that they put the spotlight on Selina and therefore on longer-term processes and plots arching over multiple episodes that becomes a bad thing?

Seems to me like you are one tough customer. Although I respect your opinion of course :)

#54 Posted by D9000 (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, I knew it. While I was watching this episode I thought "@inferiorego's going to hate this one!" :p

It's good to know there's so many people watching Gotham, or at least paying attention to the reviews. I don't know why but I really don't find Selina to be forced into anything in this show. She's just a character who does stuff. If her name wasn't Selina would people say she's shoehorned into the show? I don't know, I just don't see the issue.

And I think (and hope) that the video game line from Nigma will play into something later on. I'm assuming the show will be on long enough for them to turn him into a villain and maybe he'll invent some kind of evil video game or something.

I, for one, am looking forward to the future of Gotham. But I'd still give this episode a 3/5.

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
#55 Posted by Romthelegionaire (135 posts) - - Show Bio
@wardishy said:

@romthelegionaire said:

Nygma, Selina, and Barbara all need to be written better. Other than that the episode was decent. I was also happy to see that Hargrove the Bomber was played by actor Leslie Odom Jr., the same guy that was Collier on Person of Interest.

I thought that was him but I wasn't sure. Wasn't the guy Dent was talking to the police captain or something from PoI as well?

As for the episode, yeah. This was probably a two or three stars for me. Boring. I didn't like the guy cast as Dent, Gordon's thread this week was dull, as was Penguin's, Bruce and Selina were okay but nothing special. It felt unfocused.

It was unfocused. You can tell the writers just forced Dent into the episode. If you take him out he literally has no impact on the outcome of the story.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#56 Posted by amazing_webhead (9819 posts) - - Show Bio

I could almost hear little Bruce's bat-pellets descend when he met Selina.

Batman vs Catwoman, round 1: food fight

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
#57 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (3818 posts) - - Show Bio

Once again CV fails to recognize that this show is NOT made for comic-book fans. Hence we get comments like things "feel forced" (as if that means something.) No one on this show is going to be a carbon-copy of the comic characters. I think people expecting them to be and comparing them to their comic counter-parts is why so many think they need to be written differently. They want them to match the comic versions. Try taking them as completely distinct and separate entities and I believe that many folks would enjoy this show more. It's well-acted and well produced. Much more so than Flash, Arrow or AOS.

@wardishy said:

@romthelegionaire said:

Nygma, Selina, and Barbara all need to be written better. Other than that the episode was decent. I was also happy to see that Hargrove the Bomber was played by actor Leslie Odom Jr., the same guy that was Collier on Person of Interest.

I thought that was him but I wasn't sure. Wasn't the guy Dent was talking to the police captain or something from PoI as well?

As for the episode, yeah. This was probably a two or three stars for me. Boring. I didn't like the guy cast as Dent, Gordon's thread this week was dull, as was Penguin's, Bruce and Selina were okay but nothing special. It felt unfocused.

It was unfocused. You can tell the writers just forced Dent into the episode. If you take him out he literally has no impact on the outcome of the story.

Nor was he supposed to. It was a character introduction (and as pointed out before this is a longer, over riding plot, not everything needs immediate impact.) They wanted to show us he's a "good guy' with a dark-side. It's called foreshadowing.

#58 Posted by Banemax (177 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like this show, but I agree this episode was a bit of a mess. Harvey was good, if not a bit over acted, until his random outburst that was very out of character for no reason. I took it as them hinting at him being bipolar or something, but it was random Co side ring what little air time Harvey had and how he was regularly portrayed.

Selina is my least favorite part of the show. I just can't get into her character. If I hear her say 'call me cat' one more time I might lose it. Every scene with her and Bruce felt rushed and awkward. The whole friendship felt forced on top of it.

It also seems that 95% of writers, comic or screen, have trouble writing Riddler well...which is a shame considering he's one of the best Bat villains out there.

Penguin is still the best part of the show, he's showing such a devious and calculating side I've really come to look forward to every scene he's in.

#59 Edited by KEROGA (1337 posts) - - Show Bio
#60 Posted by KEROGA (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

Shoehorned bruce and selina s always (dont like it)...and Riddler is annoying (and i love comic book Edward Nygma)

#61 Edited by Crimsonlord53 (1546 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous:

Thanks.

That muddy the waters even more but it is nice to know the history.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#62 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9033 posts) - - Show Bio

Once again CV fails to recognize that this show is NOT made for comic-book fans. Hence we get comments like things "feel forced" (as if that means something.) No one on this show is going to be a carbon-copy of the comic characters. I think people expecting them to be and comparing them to their comic counter-parts is why so many think they need to be written differently. They want them to match the comic versions. Try taking them as completely distinct and separate entities and I believe that many folks would enjoy this show more. It's well-cted and well produced. Much more so than Flash, Arrow or AOS.

@romthelegionaire said:
@wardishy said:

a@romthelegionaire said:

Nor was he supposed to. It was a character introduction (and as pointed out before this is a longer, over riding plot, not everything needs immediate impact.) They wanted to show us he's a "good guy' with a dark-side. It's called foreshadowing.

None of these shows should ever have the words well acted and well produced. Especially anything from the CW.

#64 Posted by mickeymayhew (426 posts) - - Show Bio

@viin said:

As a Batman fan I really hope this show doesn't get a second season.

How about you just don't watch it instead of hoping it gets canceled so people who do actually like it can't watch it?

well said!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.