'Gotham' Episode 101 - "Pilot"

• 128 results
    AnthonyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I agree that everything felt forced, especially the Fish Mooney scenes...Not hating on Jada, I really like her lol...but there was too much name dropping and forced innuendo.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was okay. I probably would have enjoyed it more if i hadn't seen about 95% of it in the preview clips. I honestly didn't think I'd watched that many of them, but If there was as much as 15 minutes of footage I hadn't already seen it was just barely.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By kalorama
    @strangetales said:

Catwoman has the hots for a young Bruce Wayne?

Shouldn't Selina be younger?

One of Batmans main love interests will be an old hag.

The actor who plays Bruce is 13. The actress whom plays Selina is 14.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As expected, people just can't watch a TV show and not compare it to another show.

I thought it was pretty good for a pilot. Yeah, they name dropped A LOT, but that is completely necessary for pilots. The whole Bruce Wayne conquering his fear thing happened extremely fast. I wondered how they were going to fit a grieving Kid into a story about detective work, and it seems we may have our answer. It looks as though, he will mainly be used to show Gordons compassion in talks with him. Especially since Jim has now aligned with the corruption going on.

Did anyone spot any Easter eggs?

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalorama said:
    @strangetales said:

Catwoman has the hots for a young Bruce Wayne?

Shouldn't Selina be younger?

One of Batmans main love interests will be an old hag.

The actor who plays Bruce is 13. The actress whom plays Selina is 14.

Yes I am now aware lol... When I watched the episode I thought she was like 20 or something -__- I'm such a goofball

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It just wasn't good TV, no matter how much I wanted to like it.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed it but agree with the forcing of batman characters but at the same time kind of liked it. I wish Selina wasn't crouching in a cat position every time we seen her.

arkay74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkay74 said:

9.3/10 in the IMDb, that's great.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3749900/?ref_=nv_sr_1

90% of the reviews you'll find on sites like IMBD, Rotten Tomates or whatever are reviews of people who don't read comics. (that's probably generous btw, its probably 99%) Comic readers are a tiny minority.

On the other hand 90% of the people on this website do read comics.

We have a completely difference perspective when watching these shows.

I'd rather ask a comic reader what he thinks about a tv/movie than a non-comic reader. We're more likely to see eye to eye then someone who doesn't.

Its why I, do not give a crap about those varies site ratings.

Those 90% decide what stays "on the air".

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say 4.5/5 I realy enjoyed it. thought it wouldnt be good but I liked it.

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By greeneagle

Actually, i think it was a solid pilot. It's got potential to be better than Arrow,Flash and MAOS if they continue with the tone they've set and get creative with the characters...but not too creative.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely agree. The name drops and cameos felt forced. Just introduce them slowly, like Arrow or Smallville. We don't need every villain in 45 minutes.

One of the major complaints about Smallville early on was that it took too long to start integrating more characters and concepts from the comics.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 the_stegman  Moderator

@kalorama: I didn't mind it at all, I like their weekly "creature feature".

Avatar image for the_shazam_killer
    THE_SHAZAM_KILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it actually, although the kid who plays Bruce really irritates me for some reason

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#115  Edited By Rixec

I really hope we don't see the comedian seen at Fish's club again. I don't want to think any more about any possibilities with that guy.

Really? Could it be you are afraid of what his origin is? A certain... Joker?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Why was his name "Edward Nigma" and not "Eddie Nashton"? The one supervillain who had a reasonable explanation for his stupidly-convenient name, and they got rid of that?

On the flip-side, I love when he's written to talk in riddles.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Okay I will admit I too was disappointed.

The name drops were just too much. Here is Oswald, who all the trailers announced to become the penguin anyways, but let's just say it 100 more times. Smart guy with glasses who mentions a riddle? Let's just go ahead and call him Nigma to be clear. Little girl with red hair who clearly has a connection to plants, well in case you were wondering her name is IVY. etc.

Also, Bruce went from a sad wreck to a brooding conquering of fear with no transition whatsoever, Penguin killed a guy for a sandwich (?!), and big bossman Falcone shows up with no build-up at all.

You know what, the more I think about it, the less I liked this episode. I only see hope in the fact that it was merely a pilot and as much as I might condemn myself for it next week, I'll give it another shot.

TalkNerdyToMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TalkNerdyToMe

My video review of 'Gotham' Episode 1 "Pilot"

Loading Video...

Dslboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mostly agree with this review. I actually thought to be cringing a lot more after seeing the trailer, but I find it less cringe worthy as lets say Arrow or Shield. The current cast and cinematography are doing a great job to set up the universe, but as you said, they try to do too many things in this small hour.

Some things I liked and didn't like:

• All the locations feel very 'Gotham', I think they nailed the overall look and feel of the city. And this is very important, cause for me Gotham is the main character.
    • Bullock is awesome. He alone makes we want to continue watching this show.
    • I like Falcone's Point of View. Ruthless crime boss, but loves his city. A form of vigilantism like Batman, though obviously on the other side of the law.
    • I also liked sassy Alfred ("Oy, Mahsta Bruce! Get your bloody ass down from there!"), Nygma working for the Police and getting owned by Gordon. As a kid actor, Bruce was alright too.
    • I didn't like Killer Croc dying in the first episode, although he might have survived.
    • Gordon was alright, but he a little bit too clean. I hope they put him in his place down the line.
    • Cobblepot as a crime scrub, no thanks. The actor however does the part well.
    • Selina (and a lot of others, but especially Selina) had no point in the entire pilot, other then a nice skyline to look at. It also seems she and Bruce are going to have a stupid plot together.

Overall, I think Gotham is going to have a good chance of becoming a favorite.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting this to be a 1.75 for me but it came out around a 2.5 or maybe a 3. I could see it either get really good or really irritating and I think it will go with the former. I have to agree that the name dropping was a little much. The one drop I couldn't stand was Riddler. He would get fired like his first day there :P That was pretty minor though. I really didn't like Selina in this. I imagine I'll downright hate her character once she gets speaking roles. I thought Bruce was a good actor for being so young but he got on my nerves. Most of the other characters felt flat for me, especially Harvey. He picked up in the second half but I hope it sticks.

The acting was pretty bad throughout most of it, especially Barbara. I have to say that Gotham looked spot on too. I agree that they should move a little bit away from Bruce. Fight scenes were 50/50 for me and the chase was boring. If they were going really grounded with this I could understand the fights being a little... eh. The thing is that it is about as grounded as a Sam Raimi Batman film so I really wish they would amp up the fight scenes, which they might do considering this was just a pilot.

I also thought the Penguin was pretty cool here, but I actually dislike him in the comics so don't take my word for it. Really though, what was up with the ending?

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#121  Edited By godzilla44

It was good for a Pilot episode 3.5/5, my only gripes were the people who played Fish Mooney, Montoya and Barbara they were terribly acted like worse CW acting IMO

cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#122 cwpolzel  Moderator

i liked it, looking forward to next episode.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

@g_man They did pack in a lot, but in retrospect maybe that is why the Arrow pilot wasn't seen as being so great at first. Because they didn't pack as much exposition in... although I don't remember fully and maybe they did. But From what I recall the Arrow pilot threw some of us off because Green Arrow went around killing people, and we didn't know how the whole story was going to play out. Now after some time we can look back and see the bigger picture, of him coming home and still having the kill or be killed mentality. So maybe with this show they packed a lot into the pilot to get fans to get a bigger picture.

Earth One: Alfred
    Earth One: Alfred

I did like them showing more of the ramifications of the Wayne murders on the GCPD and the city as a whole. I also like the idea of there being a bigger conspiracy than just a random thug... maybe. Reminds of of Earth One: Batman (as does this version of Alfred, who i hope we get to see dish out some punishment.) I also liked the idea, which kept popping into my head when these characters interacted, was how cool it would be to see Bullock go from who he is in this show and his relationship with Gordon to being one of Commissioner Gordon's right hand men. Likewise with Montoya. Seeing them become, hopefully, cops who believe and trust in Gordon enough to follow him when he cleans up the GCPD and becomes Commissioner.

Also, what might be cool, I still want Bruce to travel the world and learn skills to become Batman, but wouldn't it be cool if one of those teachers was Selina Kyle? She could teach him how to move about the city as fast as she did, on rooftops and such, and how to be a thief. So as an adult Batman he was trained, maybe a little, by Catwoman.

However I am worried about where the show could go, the numerous paths I see being the show's downfall, in my eyes anyway. Like with Smallville or How I Met your Mother the show has the chance of staying around too long. They could do what many shows do with their main cast, like That 70s Show, and keep the main characters from growing or moving on naturally in order for them to stay there. For example, Bruce leaves Gotham with Alfred for many years. He trains and returns home a young adult. But if Bruce is a main character will the show allow him to leave Gotham and travel the world? Or will they keep him in Gotham too long, being a 17-20 year old who never left Gotham or has yet to train? Or will they have Bruce suddenly become friends with Selina Kyle or Ivy? I am worried that they might have characters interact or become friends who shouldn't. I am worried that like Smallville or How I met Your mother, the show will meander about spending too much time and convoluting the story. But there is also potential for fun from this show. I liked their portrayal of Gordon. And honest to a fault cop. And I like seeing the fatherly like relationship that seems to be developing between Bruce and Gordon. And I am looking forward to seeing the character's go from who they are on the show now to who they are meant to be later, the psychology. Penguin being a weaselly punk who eventually becomes a Tony Soprano mob boss for example. I feel like this could be a fun character study. But even that would have an experation date on it.

Oh, wouldn't it be a fun idea to bring in Tommy Elliot? Who is supposed to be Bruce's childhood friend.

Bobsjonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't like it! Gordon was way to young. Bullock way to old. Felt rushed and didn't like that Selena witnessed the murder. Gonna try to get into it cause I'm a Bats fan. I did enjoy Alfred thou!

DcNoobReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really like this first ep! i watched it with my mother who knowsing not much about comics, but she likes this kinda stuff, and she loved it. It had its ups and downs, but the acting in this so far was really really solid! i felt like i was in gotham. i hate to compare it to shield, but shield fails to suck me in, mostly because of how dull everyone is in it, i dont think il havea problem here. cant wait for the next ep

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol Bruce's girly scream and fake crying. Brucefina Wayne. Or something. (It was a good episode.)

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the first episode.Enjoyed the look and feel it was giving off.Sure some of the angles and dialogue was pretty bad,but still it's a pilot,so it has time to grow. I really liked Bullock in this show and how he acted towards Jim,not to mention the fragile/aggressive penguin they have showed.I understand people thinking they are name dropping to many characters,but if these characters were unknowns would people still have this problem? Is it because they are named characters that people are so upset with showing,or atleast talking about characters we already know about?

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i liked it 3.5

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it but I definitely had major gripes with it.

1. Too many villians
    2. I hope Selina and Bruce don't interact.
    3. The way the Waynes died was bizarre to me, why would the shooter just kill them so calmly but then choose to leave Bruce alive. If he was as much of a sociopath as he's portrayed in Gotham, he would have no problem killing Bruce. I prefer the nervous Joe Chill who accidentally killed Thomas and then killed Martha.
    4. Alfred was way to harsh on Bruce when he brought him home from Crime Alley. Also Alfred is way too Cockney, not the proper Alfred we know.
    Harryvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4/5

Selina Kyle's character is already annoying and she hasn't even spoke yet. I assume I'm going to see Selina gyrating on top of a structure every time we come back from commercial. We get it. You're nimble and will constantly be in the wrong place at the right time. I personally think she looks like a cat with her eye/cheek structure. Cheesy!

Nailed the murder scene. I'm Batalicious and very critical. They nailed it.

I wish Bullock was a fat guy like in the comics but I quickly warmed up to Donal Logue. Same with Gordon. Gordon's great. The casting pissed me off at first but I was won over within 10 minutes (Exception being Alfred). Even Jada Pinkett's character was pretty cool. They're setting the stage for Penguin's ruthless takeover once the Falcones and Maronis start losing territory.

Every convo between Bruce and Gordon is amazing. It's those interactions that will set Bruce on the path to be Batman. It sets the tone for their future relationship and also shows that maybe if Gordon wasn't there that night he may have gone in a different direction.

HATED Alfred. As soon as he showed up on camera I thought he was the crooked uncle from past stories. He played the character well after the initial introduction but appearance wise this is not Alfred. The actress who played Montoya looks straight out of the Thriller video. She's terrifyingly ugly.

Name Drop Away! Isn't that the point of this show? Batman has HUNDREDS of characters in his universe and a show like this is an absolute can't miss if done right.

I hope Bruce and Alfred will be very minor characters because there is absolutely nothing for them to do. Unless they show Bruce playing with childhood friends such as Roman Sionis or Tommy Elliot....

Focus on Gordon and Bullock fighting corruption which causes the mob to take drastic measures aka turn to all the weirdos we know and love through the years.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.