'Gotham' Casts Nathan Darrow as Mr Freeze

Posted by inferiorego (25734 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Gothamis adding another iconic villain to the show. Mr Freeze is coming to Gotham in December and episodes 12 and 13 will be Victor Fries heavy, according to TVLine. House of Cards' Nathan Darrow has been cast to play Victor Fries in the upcoming episodes. According to the official description of the character, the focus will be on Victor trying to save his dying wife, Nora.

Though ferociously smart and eminently capable in his work as one of Gotham’s preeminent cryogenics engineers, Victor struggles to make meaningful connections with others. The one exception is his wife, Nora (casting TBA), who has tragically fallen ill with a terminal disease. Victor’s love for Nora knows no bounds, so as her condition worsens, he goes to extreme measures to figure out a way to freeze her before she dies. This harrowing journey leads to his transformation into the legendary DC villain, Mr. Freeze.

Keep your eye out for Victor Fries this December on Gotham.

Staff
#1 Posted by ComicKing7 (155 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Freeze is one of the few villains that I'm okay with being on Gotham. For some reason I've always just pictured him older than Batman.

#2 Posted by the_stegman (40195 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#3 Posted by mak13131313 (1601 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
#4 Edited by GreenLanternDeadpool (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Time to kick some ice!

#5 Posted by BlueJay2324 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh. I really dislike Gotham, but growing up on Batman the animated series Mr. Freeze is one of my favorite of Batman's rogues, easily beating out so many due to just the emotional torment that possesses the character and the gray area he treads. I might have to watch this these episodes to see if they just cherrypick ideas from Heart of Ice, which could be great or terrible.

#6 Posted by NightFang3 (12362 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#7 Posted by nightwingdg143 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Won't be long until Freeze is sent to arkham to chill with the others.

Avatar image for isaac_greenwood
#8 Posted by Isaac_Greenwood (35 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicking7: Would you say it's because of his cool demeanor? Or his icy tone?

#9 Posted by Leetozar (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Icy things are getting pretty serious now.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#10 Posted by amazing_webhead (9821 posts) - - Show Bio

what killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#11 Edited by The Impersonator (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

You know. I was just thinking. Maybe, the villains who are a bit older than Bruce could find themselves stored in cryonic chambers for further psychological study. This is where Victor Fries comes in. He's an expert in cryology. Some interest would come in, let's say, a psychiatrist is obsessed with these criminals that he/she wanted to study on them further. Victor works with him/her and the same time, he tries to save his dying wife.

When Bruce Wayne grows up, he becomes Batman when learning that the criminals, who were caught by Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock has been released from the cryonic asylum.

If the writers go with this route. then there wouldn't be complaints regarding the fact that the villains are older than Bruce. It might sound far-fetched, but I think it could work.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#12 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool casting.

#14 Posted by kid Apollo (961 posts) - - Show Bio

you guys all need to chill out on the ice jokes...

#15 Posted by oblivionatm (158 posts) - - Show Bio

They kept the characters actual names, fantastic! My biggest gripe about Gotham, which otherwise I've quite enjoyed, is the random unnecessary name changes.

#16 Edited by KritikalMassX (1510 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicking7 said:

Mr. Freeze is one of the few villains that I'm okay with being on Gotham. For some reason I've always just pictured him older than Batman.

In hindsight, EVERYONE is older than Batman Bruce, even Selina. Still, I'm not at all fond of the show since it's nothing more than a glorified cop drama at best.

#17 Posted by Pokeysteve (12018 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I quit watching this show. All these Batman villains when Batman is barely out of kindergarten.

#18 Edited by ThomasElliot (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@@the_impersonator:

Thanks for trying, but for a show I dislike already, that would make me hate it that much more. Might as well jut have time travelling aliens come down from the sky and reset everything. You're idea would just exchange one complaint for a whole other complaint.

Overall I get it... its NOT supposed to be Batman-proper. Its like Smallville or the stupid Arkham Asylum games, it plays around w/ the myth and canon.

The reality is you're going to get people who either are ok with it or hate it. I try to avoid commenting much because I just accept that its not for me, but every now again I can't help but slap my forehead when I come across Gotham news.

The bigger irony of all this is that I LOVE alternate universe stories, Elseworlds, etc. I dig that kind of thing greatly. I'm in the minority of Star Trek fans who actually likes Abrams-Trek. Yet, there is something about the way Gotham plays with the myth that disgusts me to no end.

@kritikalmassx

The thing is, it IS supposed to be a cop drama... then at some point someone had the bright idea of reinventing Batman lore rather than try to make a compelling cop show.

#20 Posted by nightwingdg143 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: I think Bruce will be turning 15 in the show

#21 Edited by Rag_man (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice to hear Mr Freeze is not being left out in the cold....

#22 Edited by EdBlank (1480 posts) - - Show Bio

Without Batman this sounds dull as a dingleberry

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#23 Edited by The Impersonator (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

@thomaselliot: I only meant as a suggestion. I'm not saying they should do it. If the writers are willing to do it, then it could work. Besides, I'm okay with Victor Fries being older than Bruce. No complaints there.

Look at this way. This is an Elseworld-type story. Anything can happen. Not everything happens just like in the comics. This is the reason why people complain a lot, not just the age difference.

Take a look at Smallville for example. That's also an Elseworld-type story. Did the kryptonite freaks appeared in the comics? No. The writers of that show did an interesting take on the Superman mythos.

In this show, maybe the fact that the villains are older than Bruce may not sound a good idea. But hey, they're exploring the origins of the villains before Batman appeared. That's why the writers are making this show interesting. An interesting take on the Batman mythos.

Remember, this is not a show just for comic book fans. If you don't like this show, then I suggest you shouldn't watch it.

#24 Posted by Pokeysteve (12018 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.